Home
Posted By: jnyork A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
Since we live only less than 3 hours from Cody WY and the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, now called Center of the West, Lovely Bride and I decided on a two day trip up there. The gun museum has recently been overhauled and remodeled from top to bottom, I wanted to see what they had done. We got overnight reservations at Buffalo Bill's old Irma Hotel, very cool place to stay and not very expensive for a tourist town.

For those of you who have not been there, that museum, along with the town of Cody, is a wonderful place to spend a week's vacation. If there is a list of the top ten museums in the country, the one at Cody would certainly be on it. The Firearms Museum contains thousands of historic firearms including the famous Winchester collection, it will take you at least two days to come even close to taking it in. Also, there is the Natural History museum, the Plains Indians museum, the Western Art museum and the memorabilia of Buffalo Bill.

The recent changes to the firearms museum are all for the better, IMHO. The entire formats of the displays are tuned in to educating members of the public in a positive way who know little or nothing about firearms. History, technical development, etc are all covered, as well as the historical uses of firearms, good and bad. No political correctness could be found, however, everything presented in a straightforward manner.

One change that I really liked was having hundreds of important firearms brought up out of the basement and put in heavy duty sliding racks and drawers that you can pull out and examine very closely, you can get your nose right up to them. There also several very good interactive displays, including an old time shooting gallery and some modern simulators.

We had a great time although I was no longer able to stay on my feet for hours at a time, pain caused me to have to leave before I really wanted to.

If you are firearms enthusiast and/or a Western history buff, this is your place, well worth a long day's drive and a week off of work. If you dont visit at least once, you are really missing out on a wonderful experience.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
You know, I might just do that this winter if they're open in the off season.
Posted By: jnyork Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You know, I might just do that this winter if they're open in the off season.

I think they are, but with shorter hours. Check their website. There weren't a whole lot of people there when we were there, only one bus , parking lot half full. Nice and quiet.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
Thanks for the review. Sounds like something for my entire family.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
I was out there about a decade ago. They talked me into lending them some of my firearms. It is interesting to hear that many more are on display then before. That was one of my disappointments when I went to visit the museum.
Posted By: memtb Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
JN, hope you have a safe trip and a good time. Beautiful weather, and the fall colors should be kicking in up around Cody. I was in the museum in early July, while my son and his family were visiting. There’s been a lot of changes since I was there last.

Be careful when driving thru the Wind River Canyon.....with the recent rains and freezing temperatures......the rocks “will” be migrating! grin memtb

I’m surprised that you didn’t go a couple of weeks ago to spend some quality time with Kanye and Kim! grin
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
Been there several times. Well worth the trip.
Originally Posted by memtb
JN, hope you have a safe trip and a good time. Beautiful weather, and the fall colors should be kicking in up around Cody. I was in the museum in early July, while my son and his family were visiting. There’s been a lot of changes since I was there last.

Be careful when driving thru the Wind River Canyon.....with the recent rains and freezing temperatures......the rocks “will” be migrating! grin memtb

I’m surprised that you didn’t go a couple of weeks ago to spend some quality time with Kanye and Kim! grin

Thanks for the kind wishes. We got home late yesterday afternoon, tuckered but happy. Fall colors were not too evident yet, except for white, the Absaroka range had gotten very significant snow most of the way down to the foothills. Will make for good elk hunting. Wind River Canyon was a very nice drive as always, but we have learned to keep an eye out for falling rocks. Kanye and Kim can KMA.
laugh
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
The museum is a treasure, been there 3 times. Wind River and Thermopolis are good for several days as well.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The museum is a treasure, been there 3 times. Wind River and Thermopolis are good for several days as well.

Yep! Proud to say that Thermop is very close to our home! memtb
Posted By: dale06 Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Been there several times. Well worth the trip.

Went one day, not enough. Great place to visit.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
That region is fantastic, we spent 2 weeks there this spring, we go every year. The North Fork of the Shoshone is bordered by some great hiking, carry your favorite bear banger. Friday early evening at the bar in the Irma is a glimpse into the real America that is rapidly disappearing, followed by dinner at the Proud Cut. Life is good.

mike r
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
Stayed at the Irma and went to the museum 10+ years ago. Would never pass up doing it again if I were close.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
I passed through Cody twice, a couple of months apart, while helping my brother move from Oregon back to Tennessee. I got to tour the museum twice, once each way. At that time the Ballard Rifle Co. was located in Cody, and I got a private tour through their facility. I think that place was sold to a larger conglomerate and relocated- - - - -a real shame, as they were making excellent-quality replicas of some very scarce firearms.
Jerry
Posted By: gregintenn Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
I appreciate the report. My wife and I are planning to go somewhere next summer and Cody is deciliter yon my short list.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
We were in Cody 3 years ago to see Yellowstone Park and do tourists things. We had 6 or 8 days, and I wish I'd had more!
We devoted 2&1/2 day to the Museum of the West and the Buffalo Bill Dam and park while we were there. We both found the area to be very interesting and wished we'd had more time to spend!
Good Lord willing, we hope to return to at some later time. I always considered Custer State Park, Roosevelt National Park (and Medora) and Cody to be the highlights of or trip.
I enjoyed Yellowstone and Glacier, but thought they were too crowded to really enjoy.
All in all, the whole trip and scenery was sorta breathtaking for a redneck from western PA!
7mm
Posted By: Bobmar Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
I was there two weeks ago. It had long been a bucket list item. Check! It was well worth the time. Lots of great things to see beyond the guns.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: A trip to Cody - 10/05/19
I don't know if this "western" dutch oven cook is still there entertaining tourists with his exhibition of dutch oven cooking, but if so, he's interesting to watch and understand the use of the dutch oven in the old west.

L.W.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by memtb

Thanks for the kind wishes. We got home late yesterday afternoon, tuckered but happy. Fall colors were not too evident yet, except for white, the Absaroka range had gotten very significant snow most of the way down to the foothills. Will make for good elk hunting. Wind River Canyon was a very nice drive as always, but we have learned to keep an eye out for falling rocks. Kanye and Kim can KMA.
laugh

I love the canyon drive, though sometimes it has it’s challenges. I drove through it every working day for 18 years! memtb
Forgot to mention their policy on carry guns. There is a sign on the door "Please check visible firearms with security" . Security has a kiosk right inside the door. They just dont want open carry in there due to all the tourists from back East and left coast states plus hoards of Oriental and other foreign tourists who would become nervous about it. Concealed carry is fine.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: A trip to Cody - 10/06/19
Sounds like your only mistake was not soaking in Thermop on your way home.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: A trip to Cody - 10/06/19
Rolled through there this past summer 😎 I came down the mountain, but I would say the 60 mile climb to Sylvan Pass in Yellowstone NP is a must for anyone spending a period of days in Cody, one could do that and take in the Hayden and Lamar Valleys in Yellowstone in a long day, easy.
Posted By: lastround Re: A trip to Cody - 10/06/19
Been through the Canyon and the Museum once about 11 yrs ago and loved it. Had lunch at Irma’s. I’ve wanted to go back with more time to spend ever since. Age is coming on strong so I probably won’t make it back. I’m proud to have gone when I did.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: A trip to Cody - 10/06/19
Spent most of an afternoon there close to 30 years ago when the kids were little. Been planning to go back ever since with a little more time.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: A trip to Cody - 10/06/19
Agreed well worth the trip and staying over. With modern speed limits and traffic on the interstate what it is during construction season a shun-piking scenic route can have little or no time penalty.

The displays are marvelously well done. In the modern tradition there is an effort to involve the viewer as well as show marvels under glass.

The captions struck me as showing a little bit of the famous lines from Liberty Valence printing the legend when the history might be a little bit controversial meaning mostly in the sense of uncertain and argued over. I wonder what Shrapnel and others might say about some of the Custer/Little Big Horn references?

Folks might not know that there is a sustained effort to show a little of everything. FREX a competition belt rig from Julie Golob to go with Annie Oakley memorabilia and the many antiquities.

Weather and season matter maybe more than a little bit. In good weather it's a day trip for me. In bad weather not so much. There are a number of less traveled roads in the Park that don't go anyplace for locals to picnic away from traffic and go home.

© 24hourcampfire