Home
If so, what are your thoughts? T
read a test where they were going to tow with a new one. Had to go to dealer 3 times before they finished the trip. I'd pass
I have a friend with one and he says he read all that on the innerwebs too, but by digging deeper he felt comfortable that the only people posting on the innerwebs were the ones having problems and everyone else, the majority, were not, so he bought one. And has been happy with it. He said he found a forum somewhere where they were talking about them and the guys were enjoying them.
RangerGreen has one. Ping him.
Wish I could figure out what I want. I was intent on buying a Tacoma until I drove it. Love the Tundras, but the mileage sucks.

Hadn't even given Nissan a thought until I saw one sitting on a lot and drove it this morning. There's a lot to like, just not many of them around, and I don't know anyone who has owned one.
I talked to a guy at the cedar park dealership last year, he said he got about 14 mpg with it.
Originally Posted by viking
I talked to a guy at the cedar park dealership last year, he said he got about 14 mpg with it.

That's not good
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Wish I could figure out what I want. I was intent on buying a Tacoma until I drove it. Love the Tundras, but the mileage sucks.

Hadn't even given Nissan a thought until I saw one sitting on a lot and drove it this morning. There's a lot to like, just not many of them around, and I don't know anyone who has owned one.

I was in the same boat. Really wanted a new Tacoma. Drove it, too small a cab and underpowered compared to the Nissan small truck. Liked the Tundras also, but guy I work with bought one and is getting 12.5 mpg. I ended up getting a 2018 Crew Cab 1500 4WD Silverado for about the same prize as a Tacoma when they marked them down and I'm getting 21.2 mpg with it. My buddy loves his Tundra and says it is a power house of a truck, just wishes it got decent fuel mileage.

My Tundras looking better . Same mpg and paid off! lol.
I have the gas version of the Titan and I love it. Does all I need to do with a truck and I averaging around 21 mpg driving to work and back.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I have the gas version of the Titan and I love it. Does all I need to do with a truck and I averaging around 21 mpg driving to work and back.

4x4?

Mine was a gas hog 16 mpg on the highway. I loved it, other than throwing codes for catylitic converters.

I have a Titan that is the gas version. I really like the truck.

Mine averages 13.5mpg in town and 17mpg on the interstate as long as I stay under 75mph.

I took the cats off mine and had UpRev do a tune on it.
I didn’t know they put a Cummins in that truck. I like the two Dodges I have. The 2004 has 190,000 miles on it.
Nice. The trouble in Texas is the emissions inspection, I don’t know if they would pass?

Without cats I would say nay on the emissions.
Originally Posted by hanco
I didn’t know they put a Cummins in that truck. I like the two Dodges I have. The 2004 has 190,000 miles on it.

Not the same motor. Nissan uses the small Cummins V8.
I wonder how the Ford 1/2 tons with the aluminum bodies are doing?
I have a 2018 Titan XD with the Cummins, DEF delete and chipped. Over 20 MPG and tows like a draft horse.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I wonder how the Ford 1/2 tons with the aluminum bodies are doing?

I have a 2018 f150 with the diesel. Computer says 20.5 in town. A little over 30 at 70 mph. It’s a 4x4.
Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

4x4?

Mine was a gas hog 16 mpg on the highway. I loved it, other than throwing codes for catylitic converters.

Yep a 2018 4x4
Had one as a shop truck at an oilfield welding service I worked for. Huge POS, 3 water pumps, 2 radiators, and an exhaust system in the first 70k miles. Didn’t get any better mileage or ride any better than the 1ton diesel Ram and Fords we had. Wasn’t as schitty as the Ram Ecodiesel they tried and replaced with the Nissan but definitely wasn’t something I’d want.
Originally Posted by Toolelk
I have a 2018 Titan XD with the Cummins, DEF delete and chipped. Over 20 MPG and tows like a draft horse.

What do you tow with it?
Primarily my fishing boat (20' / tandem axle) but occasionally a trailer with machine tools. Truck has the provision for gooseneck but I'm using the frame hitch only.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15091901/2016-nissan-titan-xd-long-term-test-review/
I think they are going to discontinue that model of titan.
The Cummins engine is discontinued in the 2020 Titan due to low sales. That makes this engine a double orphan. It was developed all the way back in 2006 for use in a Ram 1/2 ton truck. When the financial crisis hit and Chrysler was eventually given away by Obama to Fiat, Fiat wanted to use their own diesel engine in the 1/2 Ram. Cummins has been trying to sell this engine since that time with Nissan finally taking the bait, but with the diesel option selected on the Titan both towing and bed capacity were reduced by so much that the truck was barely usable as a truck. So a short model run engine with limited sales means parts and service will be hard to find and expensive in the future. I wouldn't go near one.
No disrespect to anyone on here.

But it amazes me that people are willing/able to buy a new vehicle that costs upwards of what, $35,000 - $40k+ and fuss over 4 or 5 miles difference in fuel economy.

If you have the money for something like that, buy what works for you and don't fret over a 5 or 6 mpg difference between trucks.
I don't know about the Nissan Titan diesels. But a friend bought a gas powered Titan,.....treated it good,..just drove it on the street,.and the rear end went out of it fairly early in it's life. it was an early 2000's model.

Maybe Nissan has upped their game since then, or maybe they put a stronger differential in their diesel trucks.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I don't know about the Nissan Titan diesels. But a friend bought a gas powered Titan,.....treated it good,..just drove it on the street,.and the rear end went out of it fairly early in it's life. it was an early 2000's model.

Maybe Nissan has upped their game since then, or maybe they put a stronger differential in their diesel trucks.

They had lots of issues with differentials and tranny's when they first came out(original Titan). SOme to the point where Nissan had no fix for it . I guess they were eventually resolved or bought back. Nissan has taken a huge plunge QC.

I looked at the new ones before I bought my Tundra, first of all the interior room was lacking especially back seat room.
One of the guys here at work has one and Loves it. It is deleted and mildly modded without any issues so far. That said he probably wouldn't say much if it did because he is Diehard Titan.
Good looking trucks. Seems like a lot of issues reported though.

In a 1/2 ton that see’s some towing, I’d be hard pressed to look past a f150 with the 3.5ecoboost. Lots of good reports from fleet vehicles that see a lot of miles, plenty of power, decent mpg.
My F-150 is old. (2005) But I specifically looked for an early 2000's model with the Essex 4.2 V6 with a stick shift because so many were used as fleet vehicles and were known to rack up ridiculous miles. I found a low milage example,...which is almost impossible.
Just took my 2000 f250 gasser down the Oregon coast. Closing in on 200k and pulls a 23’ trailer no problem.

Granted, it averaged 9.5mpg, Lol. But it’s still cheaper than a new truck!
It's funny how anything under 20mpg is shunned these days.

My wood guy dropped off a load for me this morning. He told me he just rebuilt the V10 in his old dodge. Said his mpg went up from 7 to 10.
Nissan has a pretty puss poor quality reputation with their trucks.
Don't know why folks are talking about low, low Tundra mileage. 2018 with the 5.7 and get between 17 & 18. Pulling the 6,500 lb travel trailer, get about 10 or 11.
I bought my 2017 Titan XD in Nov. 2017. Was back to the dealer three times in two months. Not happy at that time. Gave it the nickname “Titanic”. Then, I towed our 27’ toyhauler approx. 1400 miles getting 7-8 mpg. Not happy. It has 20,000+ miles on it at this time. I drove out to Ohio from NW MT this past June with a full load in the bed. Was getting 19-23.6 mpg throughout. Mildly happy. Sold the toyhauler, was named the cinder block. Not really happy. But, I paid cash and got a good deal. So, guess I will wait until warranty is out and do deletes, bigger exhaust and more. Will have to wait to see if this improves my attitude.
I have read many articles about this engine and truck combination. Most say drive the damn thing like you stole it. Fuel mileage is better than my old F250 7.3L. But, old F250 had 267,000 plus on it when it was sold. So, cannot truly equate one to the other. The a Titan XD is a 4 door short bed. Damn comfortable and really hauls ass when I stomp the peddle. So, I own it and will keep it.
BTW, went back to the Nissan dealer for first two oil changes. Freaking crooks charge way too much. Just did third oil change. Wasn’t as easy as my old F250, but easy enough. Gonna run it like I stole it. If it schits the bed, I will haunt Nissan like a freaking ghost while under warranty.
Nuff said. MTG
Before I bought mine, I talked to several guys. They said they loved everything but the mileage. 230k miles, never been touched....stuff like that.

If I bought another one it would have to be 0%, and a good warranty.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Good looking trucks. Seems like a lot of issues reported though.

In a 1/2 ton that see’s some towing, I’d be hard pressed to look past a f150 with the 3.5ecoboost. Lots of good reports from fleet vehicles that see a lot of miles, plenty of power, decent mpg.

I just bought a ‘16 3.5 eco boost. 4x4 , supercrew. Ford hit a homerun with this truck. The newer ones may be even better, I don’t know. I’ll follow up after I hook some weight to it ,but all this torque is really nice mated to 19.5 mpg.
I'm looking elsewhere. Seemed like a nice ride, but I don't need headaches.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'm looking elsewhere. Seemed like a nice ride, but I don't need headaches.

You wanna crown em, crown em. They are who we thought they were.
A week or two ago on TFL Truck, they reported that Nissan was halting production of the diesel. Also to the early 2000s that had issues with the axles, they were basically just slightly beefed up Frontier units.
© 24hourcampfire