Home
Posted By: papalondog Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
I killed a nice buck opening day and he is loaded with fat. Mule deer but my question is, does anyone cook venison ribs of any venison? We always peel the meat off and grind it into hamburger. Fellow hunter told me a guy fixed antelope ribs and they were fantastic. I have some cooking now. Dry rubbed them and let them set overnight. An hour of smoking on the Traeger. Now in the Dutch Oven with lots of liquid for a few hours. Might end up going out for pizza but it's worth a try. Any ideas or recipes?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
No. Tried twice and they were horrible both times. They go in the ditch with the rest of the bones around here.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
No

I haul that to a ditch
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
I used to. But I trim them for the sausage grind pile anymore. Little lean deer are better than fat ribs. Don't like to throw them out unless I really make a mess. More likely to use in a one tag year...
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
Used ta crock pot em with barbecue sauce in a land and a time long ago and far away.

Antlers are where it is at now.

Cici,s pizza buffet and mcdonalds double cheeseburgers with extra pickles and no mustard are waaaaaaay better.....

LOL!!!
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
Buzzards and coyotes have to eat something.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
We never let an ounce of venison go to waste. Ribs get salt and pepper and broiled around here, then we strip them to the bare bone.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
I've done them very similar process as yours, only a little liquid though. After smoking for a couple of hours, Dutch oven, sealed with foil then give them another 3-4 hours . They're good if you have a bunch. Cut the racks in 3 pieces. Last batch I did was marinated for 2 days before cooking in Korean Bulgogi marinade, bbq sauce works good too.
I can kill three does a day in my backwards inbred sister fûcking state of Tn

I cut the back straps out and pull out the large muscles in the hind quarters, maybe some off the neck.

the rest is dog meat

Posted By: jnyork Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
Originally Posted by renegade50
U

LOL!!!

They make mighty thin soup, dont they?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
i don't even grind that leathery schit. it goes in the bone pile for the critters. life is too short to eat gamey venison.
Posted By: lastround Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
Nope, never tried them.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
If you do eat them, get all the fat off them. Deer fat is nasty!
Originally Posted by jnyork
U

LOL!!!

Yep they sure do.
Almost like schindlers list soup.

Lol!!!
Originally Posted by jnyork
U

LOL!!!

Yep they sure do.
Almost like schindlers list soup.

Lol!!!

Why did ya leave out all the rest of my post???
Almost like liberal media type of stuff.

Just cant pick and choose man

It aint right....

Hurts my little purple pizz water pumpimg heart.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: rem141r Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
you can say that again
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
There's just not enough there for me to cook as ribs. I take an electric knife and quickly strip what little meat there is between the ribs and put it in the grind pile.
Originally Posted by Tyrone

This ^^^

It's nasty for fair chase acorn eating whitetails

No sure about the corn fed ones 😄
Posted By: dale06 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
Tried once, not worth the effort.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/06/19
Originally Posted by Tyrone

And how! I wasted a good bit of time on some once. Like trying to eat paraffin.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Have had a few venison ribs cooked the way you are doing, they were excellent.
Posted By: bucktail Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
I've done them in the smoker they're ok until they cool off slightly then the fat becomes like candle wax. I make soup from them now. After you simmer them you leave it in the garage overnight and pull the fat off the top before you proceed. Add a little bacon grease olive oil to it to fix the texture of any fat you missed.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
I had them one time, and they were outstanding. Grilled over an oak wood fire.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Off a yearling they are delicious. Of a buck this early they might be good depending on what he has been eating. I would strip all the fat off myself. The deerfat on the deer here isn't good.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Fawns are the best!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Used ta crock pot em with barbecue sauce in a land and a time long ago and far away.

Cici,s pizza buffet and mcdonalds double cheeseburgers with extra pickles and no mustard are waaaaaaay better.....

LOL!!!

CiCi’s and MAC D’s over fresh venison?

I swear, an African Pygmy woman with piss flaps hanging to her knees has better food sense than you. Lol.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
I like them.You really need to cook them 4-5hrs.Either in the oven or BBQ.If you BBQ them cook for about three hours and wrap them in butcher paper for about two hour.I think roasted in the oven is the best.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
I roast them and the leg bones for making bone broth.

BP...
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Good eatin!
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I like them.You really need to cook them 4-5hrs.Either in the oven or BBQ.If you BBQ them cook for about three hours and wrap them in butcher paper for about two hour.I think roasted in the oven is the best.

Looks good! Thanks for sharing. Might give that a go!
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
No. Too much fat and marrow. Venison fat tastes just plain awful to me and marrow in the bones gives a strong taste. Why I bone out deer and don't saw bone. The dust is awful. In the Dumpster with the rest of the bones.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Venison fat, tallow, sticks to the roof of your mouth and the rib area is the worst. I love the meat not the fat. Tried it a few times but these days I'll avoid it.
No Thanks
Jim
Posted By: shaman Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
I had a really horrible experience with the first set of venison ribs I cooked. The buck had been taken in warmer weather, and I'd not gotten to it right away. The ribs tasted like freshly mown grass.

Blech!

Luckily the rest of the buck tasted quite good. That put me off deer ribs for a while.

I finally started reading venison rib recipes and thought I'd give it another try. In those days, I was still taking my deer to Jake at the Lenoxburg store for processing. Jake knew me well. I arrived at the store when Jake was getting rather harried and overworked.

"I'd like to try cooking some venison ribs," I said, as Jake took my information on the buck I'd just brought in.

"If you wouldn't keep blowing up their chests, I might be able to give you some." he snapped.

He tried to apologize while I was laughing my head off. I'd have none of it. He was absolutely right.

Over the years, I've had a few more tries at venison ribs. None of them have turned out well.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Never deer ribs, once had elk ribs in elk camp, worst meal I ever had!
Posted By: DocEd Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
"Deer fat is nasty!"

This! ^ corn fed or acorns.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
One camp cook we had spent about 14 hours roasting and basting and babysitting a rack of fresh elk ribs, damn was he proud when everyone came in at dark for supper. They were the toughest, most gamey, awful boney things anyone had ever tried to choke down. Nobody was even about to complain but when the cook himself grabbed a couple and made his plate it took one bite before he tossed them in the trash box and started opening cans of soup.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19

Tried cooking whitetail deer ribs a couple of times but gave up as never could remove of enough of the fat to get rid of the bitter aftertaste.
Seemed to me too that much like paraffin does, deer tallow starts to cool and solidify quicker than other animal fat.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
I take the ribs and some other bones out back, run a rope through them and tie them to the base of a tree. Then set a trail camera over it and see what come along. Usually fisher, yotes, foxes (red and grey) and an occasional raccoon.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Originally Posted by baldhunter

You need to post that recipe grin
Posted By: okie Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
You are what you eat. Acorn fed deer I stick with the better cuts away from the bone (no ribs) . Areas and animals that have no access to that kind of feed (mast) can be a different deal....
Posted By: tzone Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Nope
Posted By: shaman Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Originally Posted by joken2

Tried cooking whitetail deer ribs a couple of times but gave up as never could remove of enough of the fat to get rid of the bitter aftertaste.
Seemed to me too that much like paraffin does, deer tallow starts to cool and solidify quicker than other animal fat.

Around my area, the real hard-core muzzleloader people swear by deer tallow as the best ball lube.

"Ya get yaseff some beeswax and some deer taller and ya melt it on the stove in an ammunimum [sic] pie pan, and then ya set yer balls in it until it gets all hard."
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Originally Posted by papalondog
I killed a nice buck opening day and he is loaded with fat. Mule deer but my question is, does anyone cook venison ribs of any venison? We always peel the meat off and grind it into hamburger. Fellow hunter told me a guy fixed antelope ribs and they were fantastic. I have some cooking now. Dry rubbed them and let them set overnight. An hour of smoking on the Traeger. Now in the Dutch Oven with lots of liquid for a few hours. Might end up going out for pizza but it's worth a try. Any ideas or recipes?

Deer are a little on the lean side in these parts.....you can about see through the ribs. Like you I always trimmed what little I could get off the rib cage and put it in the burger pile.

Anyway, let us know your ribs turned out!
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19

LOL!!!

No pickles add mayo is how I eat them.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
There are some tricks involved in cooking game ribs, and deer ribs in particular. Many people try to cook them exactly like pork or beef ribs, which from the many posts on this thread is obviously a mistake.

My wife experimented with wild big game ribs considerably when writing SLICE OF THE WILD, her cookbook on big game from field care to table. There's more than one successful deer rib recipe in the book (available from www.riflesandrecipes.com) but the biggie for deer ribs is normally to get rid of as much fat as possible. Parboiling works very well, which also helps tenderize the meat itself.

As a general observation, a lot of big game cooking fails because hunters treat wild game like domestic meat--which is more of a standardized, almost factory-produced product. Big game meat varies considerably not just from species to species, but there's also an obvious difference between a young doe and an old buck, especially across the entire hunting season from early fall through the rut. Field care, butchering and recipes that take that into account tend to be far more successful than treating all meat the same.
Posted By: papalondog Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
Ribs turned out fantastic. Enough liquid in the Dutch Oven I think was the trick. 1/2 can of frozen consentrated apple juice, can of IPA beer, salt, pepper, splash of soy sauce, worstershire, garlic, and some other stuff. After the Traeger they were in the oven at 350 for 2 hours and then lowered to 300 for two more hours. We turned the oven off and did not open it while we went to town and had a beer. Returned to an excellent meal. The rib bones pulled out of the meat with ease. The fat had cooked down quite a bit and was easily separated from the meat. Will do it again. And it wasn't a young buck!
Dad and grandpa used to cut bone in deer chops that were excellent. Can't hardly get anyone to use their bandsaw for it.
Posted By: KC Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19

I don't eat ribs of any kind. Too much fat, too much bone and not enough meat to make it worth the effort. I don't like beef fat, and venison fat just about makes me puke. So I trim away all the fat that I can.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/07/19
i have tried deer ribs,just not enough meat on them to really enjoy them .your better off going to Wally world and buying some pork or beef ribs.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Venison Ribs Anyone - 10/11/19
Ok guys,here is my rib recipe
Found a really good way to cook deer ribs.I seasoned them,then browned both sides with a little olive oil ,a few pieces at a time.Then I stacked the ribs in my cast iron dutch oven and put them in the oven at 375 degrees with the lid off for about an hour until all the pieces looked nice and brown.Then I sliced some onion and put it on top the meat and continued cooking for another half hour until the onion looked like it was starting to look slightly done.Then I added a cup or so of water and put the lid on and continued cooking.Checked occasionally and add a little water as needed.Cooked them about 4hrs.They were moist and fall off the bone tender.
© 24hourcampfire