Home
not to be overly direct with medical issues, but what do you do about hemhroids?

i first had a case back in high school during the summer stacking white pine at the green chain.

later, it (they?) went away. but over time, they've re-emerged (is that the right way to say it?).

they'd go away with preparation H, after a spell. but none of it was fun.

i've used Tucks, and maybe they shortened the experience, i don't know.

at what point is the knife required, and how much trtmnt before then?

i know lifting 50 lb. sacks of corn can irritate the hell out of'em.

if this subject is too sensitive for the members of the fire, i can delete it.

just looking for insight that might reduce a bit of suffering.
Let them get big enough, then slice 'em and use for washers.
i like that. hadn't crossed my mind.

they've nearly been that big a few times.

my uncle had them real bad, shoveling shavings into a dutch oven boiler.

my way of dealing with them has been to be gentle, and use lot's of Prep. H, not ben gay.

the doctor said 45 seconds of firm pushing on the toilet paper could work wonders if kept at it.
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

O rings. Slice them throughout the growth process and have a whole set.
Be a man!!

Reach down there with a razor knife and cut them damn things out!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Be a man!!

Heard of a guy doing that. He damn near bled to death.
Aren't you supposed to eat a lot of fiber?
I used to work with a lot of old truck drivers. They claimed witch hazel is the ticket for relief.
Originally Posted by Morewood
I used to work with a lot of old truck drivers. They claimed witch hazel is the ticket for relief.

It makes a great after shave.
Shades of the legendary baboon ass thread! A delicate topic, "baboon ass"

Ultimate solution was shave your junk and eat a can of frozen orange juice Worth a try, beats spelunking with a razor blade. eek
i know one thing, i ain't worked on a green chain stacking fresh sawn white pine planks since that summer when things got a bit sore.

driving nails in the tin roofing of poultry houses doesn't cause that symptom? all that much.

maybe a really simple solution will show-up, and we can all get back to work.
Be a man!!

I can’t remember his name but I worked with a guy who did just that!!!!
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Be a man!!

I can’t remember his name but I worked with a guy who did just that!!!!

that's probably all a gastro-enterologist would do, but under more pristine, sanitary, and expensive conditions.

people use to pull their own teeth without going to see a licensed dentist. so, why not a bit of home surgery?
My brother in Portland had a need for something to relieve them. He was in a store reading the label on a box of Tucks when a 50ish oriental woman walked up to him. She was apparently fresh off the boat and was trying to learn about America.

She pointed at the box and said "What is?"
He replied "Er, Tucks".
How use?

He didn't really want to give an in-store demonstration so did the next best thing. He set the box down and ran.

Weight gain/overeating, repeatedly putting off going to the bathroom for extended periods of time, frequent constipation, doing things that are physically straining, all have caused mine to flare up. About any generic or name brand over the counter hemorrhoid suppositories or ointments usually give relief temporarily.

Losing weight/eating less, and not putting off going to the bathroom any longer than necessary made the biggest improvement for me. Also, as much as possible, working smarter instead of harder can help a bunch, too.
Originally Posted by Gus
not to be overly direct with medical issues, but what do you do about hemhroids?

i first had a case back in high school during the summer stacking white pine at the green chain.

later, it (they?) went away. but over time, they've re-emerged (is that the right way to say it?).

they'd go away with preparation H, after a spell. but none of it was fun.

i've used Tucks, and maybe they shortened the experience, i don't know.

at what point is the knife required, and how much trtmnt before then?

i know lifting 50 lb. sacks of corn can irritate the hell out of'em.

if this subject is too sensitive for the members of the fire, i can delete it.

just looking for insight that might reduce a bit of suffering.

From aliens to ailments of the ass. Gus is the master.
Here's one method of treatment!

Originally Posted by joken2

Weight gain/overeating, repeatedly putting off going to the bathroom for extended periods of time, frequent constipation, doing things that are physically straining, all have caused mine to flare up. About any generic or name brand over the counter hemorrhoid suppositories or ointments usually give relief temporarily.

Losing weight/eating less, and not putting off going to the bathroom any longer than necessary made the biggest improvement for me. Also, as much as possible, working smarter instead of harder can help a bunch, too.

i never had a problem until i was deciding to move from $1.60 an hour to $1.90 per hour pay. physical straining all day (8 hours) is what set mine on fire. on fire is figurative of course.

they've sprung up over the years from time to time. usually dealt with them with tucks, and hemrohid medicine. and some patience and related.

i figured with the new hi-tech solutions, it's probably not much of an issue any longer. mine were a major nuisance, even painful.

anyways, don't remember anyone sayin' that anything and everything can't be discussed on the fire, at least to a degree or two.
I've found that Neosporin works much better than Preparation H.
Witch Hazel and cotton squares (about 1/3 the cost of Tucks) , clean the area first thing in the morning and before bed helps keep thing comfortable down there. Ben Gay/Icy Hot are to be avoided at all costs, got a little Icy Hot down there one time and talk about lighting your fire.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Witch Hazel and cotton squares (about 1/3 the cost of Tucks) , clean the area first thing in the morning and before bed helps keep thing comfortable down there. Ben Gay/Icy Hot are to be avoided at all costs, got a little Icy Hot down there one time and talk about lighting your fire.

LOL!

laugh

Ya think!

Wife put Icy Hot on her lower back one night... A bit later she got frisky, and reached down to start something. Didn't take long to start feeling a bit "warm"... Yikes eek. It went from bad to worse PDQ. Had to go shower!

She thought it was funny as hell. After that, I'd ask her if she washed her hands! grin
I had to have the knife treatment many years ago. Before they got too bad (eights on a scale of of one to ten) I got relief from sitting in a bath, about as hot as you can stand it. That will shrink them temporarily. When the bleeding becomes intolerable, have the operation. It has been nearly forty years, with no problem. Only thing is, after the operation, you will be told to keep things open, to avoid scar tissue. I did not, and now I am a man of lesser caliber.
Probably go and see the doctor. Have the prostate checked too. Rather have a bit of embarrassment than a more serious issue that could be corrected with early detection. Just don't go to Paddler.
Tune in tomorrow for an in-depth discussion of anal fissures.
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

I like your thinking... I can see them used as crush washers for spark plugs, oil drain plugs and the like.
Surgery and lifestyle changes worked for me.
Gus, go to a doctor. I'm 62 years old, a year or so ago I started experiencing various bowel irregularities- itching, occasional urgency and minor bleeding ect, I attributed my symptoms to aging, possibly hemorrhoids and for one reason or the other didn't go to the doctor until about Easter. Went in for a check up; diagnosis-colorectal cancer. I asked the doctor how long he thought I had had the cancer and he said probably 10 yrs. Luckily, my cancer had not spread to any lymph nodes or other organs. I just completed 5 wks. of daily chemo/radiation treatments and spent, 3 painful wks. healing up from internal and external blistering caused by the "therapy." So, I encourage any readers in the 50-60 year old age group to take the steps recommended by the health professionals and get yourselves checked out, regardless of how healthy you feel, especially if you are experiencing any type of gastro intestinal or urinary irregularities.
-
Good evening good friend Gus. Sorry to get into "this" late. Workin' for a living cramps a fellows style so. That, and a church meeting.
One thing, there're all behind you now. laugh
Originally Posted by Morewood

That is the main ingredient in Tucks wipes. It works. I tried to get my Doc to re-issue my prescription for Hemorrhoid cream and he advised Tucks works better, I use the Walmart cheap ones with the same stuff in them..
Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song..My butt hole is just a burning ring of Fire. It burns burns burns while the piles get higher.
Why are hemorrhoids called 'hemorrhoids' instead of 'assteroids'?
Preparations A thru G failed.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Preparations A thru G failed.

As did WD39
Get a red hot needle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Diet can really affect things. If I eat many peanuts...FIRE IN THE HOLE! But as long as I avoid greasy chicken and large quantities of nuts, I'm good.
Originally Posted by dale06
Be a man!!

You need to cauterize! Fireplace poker ought to do it.
Maybe the Butt out tool would work.
drink a lot of liquid daily
eat more fiber/veggies
use a stool softenor/pill
use some miralax, helps a lot
miralax basically draws water into the intestines which
makes the stools softer, easier to pass.
the wax inserts suppositories can help during an attack of them.
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by dale06
Be a man!!

You need to cauterize! Fireplace poker ought to do it.

Or like a cowboy movie I once saw. Slosh some whiskey in the wound before taking a big pull. Yank the bullet out of your Colt .45 round with your teeth, dump the powder on the wound and fire it up.

Or use the modern alternative.

My "buddies" advised using a stiff wire brush and 91% rubbing alcohol.
Chew them peanuts well.
Fissures aren’t a laughing matter.

Fiber, lots of water and staying active.
See your doctor, especially if they’re bleeding. Upping fibre helps, but only if you drink a lot of water, or it can make them worse.

If they’re minor, then you might get a script (the suppositories are easier to use and the OTC ones are just as good).

If they’re not minor, mine were done with a ligature, very small, strong elastic band. Doc bent me over a custom-made table, nurse standing by.

He raised the hemorrhoid with a speculum, said to the nurse “RIght there...fire! Bullseye!”

No pain, no bleeding. About a week later it’s gone. Don’t even notice.

I have occasional minor flare-ups but haven’t needed surgery in 20 years.
© 24hourcampfire