Home
Note: Moved here from the Backpacking forum, thinking this might be a better fit, & the topic might gain more traction. So let your tongues wag, and put your soles into it.

I've been an Asolo whore for nearly 15 years, but I'm always glad to look at new stuff.

Needs:
* Wide (10.5, EEEEEEEEE, unless they have 'em even wider)
* Good ankle support
* Waterproof
* Lightweight is also great, but not the end-all

I've worn the Fugitive GTX in just about all terrains, and they feel like house slippers. I got TPS 520's for sheep & goat hunts, & the extra ankle support was invaluable - that made it more than worth the extra weight to me.

What's out there these days that trends wide, and holds up well?

Thanks in advance,

FC
Posted By: Redneck Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/10/19
Well, one thing you DON'T need, is showshoes... laugh laugh
Posted By: mogwai Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/10/19
Try Carolina boots. I wear them for work and hunting
Is anyone else afflicted with abnormally wide feet?

How do Lowa boots trend - narrow, regular, wide? I've heard a good report or two about their Tibets.

FC
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/10/19
Here you Go

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/narrow-wide-widths
Posted By: EdM Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/10/19
I have a similar interest given my Fred Flinstone feet and next falls BC goat hunt.
Has anyone had a go with Zamberlan boots? Their 960 Guide boot looks intriguing.

FC
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/10/19
FC,

hard for me to give recommendation for anything newer than 5 years ago, as I tend to keep boots for a long time.

Hiking type I have (but use for hunting too), 10+ years old are Vasque. Wide enough for my ee-eee width feet.

Hunting/work type I just wore today are a 20 + year old pair of Irish Setter Redwings, and I have a pair of steel toe Redwing work boots that both are comfortaby wide enough for my feet.

Generally, for most manufacturers, I have to order their wide size and many times also get them 1/2 size larger to fit my feet comfortably. If I really really like their boot but they don't offer "wide" or ee-eee I have to go a full size longer at a minimum. But then I run into the extra long boot issue.

Another issue I have is a standard size heel with a wide ball of foot, so there is usually some heel slippage I have to deal with.

Good luck on your search.

Geno
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBVYWR5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_45?smid=A2A1NW6C7A6IZR&psc=1
What does a EEEEEEEEE foot look like?
Posted By: hanco Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/11/19
Hancock shoes, plenty wide shoes-boots
Posted By: 1minute Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/11/19
Whites Boots -Spokane Wa. - Will do custom boots to your specs and they will fit. They will also rebuild them and don't charge the extra custom fee for subsequent builds as they retain the lasts. Very expensive, but damned well worth it. Down to 4 pair at the moment and been wearing them exclusively for about 35 years. Just got a pair back from their second rebuild.
Originally Posted by 19352012
What does a EEEEEEEEE foot look like?

Big bird on sesame street
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Thanks for the link!
Crispi has some offerings that seem to be worth a look.

FC
[Linked Image from elephantnaturepark.org]
Posted By: K1500 Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/11/19
After 20 years of wearing Asolo boots, every single time I buy something else I regret it. That includes Vasque, Solomon, Oboze, etc. Stick with what works.
Still use Russel Moccasin Sheep Herders. When I bought my first pair I was real leery of spending that much relying on taking my own measurements. They now have a policy of sending out a representative for a group of 20 or more to take measurements (might be more depending on location). Or register as an individual and when they get that number of people in your area. I'm still on my second pair and haven't relied on that service yet. My measurements have worked out pretty good (my feet are wide also).

Link

Phil
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Has anyone had a go with Zamberlan boots? Their 960 Guide boot looks intriguing.

FC

I have these and they’re awesome!

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/produc...egian-welt-hiking-boots-waxed-dark-brown
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image from elephantnaturepark.org]

ALMOST wide enough... but not quite...

FC
Posted By: hanco Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/11/19
Mud bogging feet!
Posted By: natman Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/11/19
I've had good luck with Rocky boots. Their Wide fits my 4E feet.
I've decided to bring the store(s) to me. Since the places have cheap & easy returns, why not?

I've ordered-in...

Asolo Fugitive GTX
Lowa Tibet GTX
Crispi Wyoming GTX
Zamberlan 996 Vioz GTX
and Zamberlan 960 Guide GTX RR

... all in 11 Wide. No, they're not all built for the same function, but these had about the best reviews I could find, and I figured they'd at least point me in the right direction.

Look for a sloppy write-up once I've played around with them a bit.

FC
Originally Posted by K1500
After 20 years of wearing Asolo boots, every single time I buy something else I regret it. That includes Vasque, Solomon, Oboze, etc. Stick with what works.

That's almost always my MO.

With the Asolo's, however, I've got a few reservations. While the comfort has never been in question, the soles on both my last pair of Fugitive's and TPS 520's delaminated, each doing so with less mileage than I would have preferred. A bit of Googling, along with comments from local retailers, indicates I'm not alone in this experience, Also, I'm batting about .33333333 on waterproofing in the Fugitive's I've owned.

I may well end up with another pair, yet. It just seemed prudent to investigate some other options, as well.

The Zamberlan 960 Guide boots showed up yesterday afternoon. Thanks, Amazon!

FC
Get some snow shoes and use them as flip fops.
Posted By: Ready Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/14/19
You people is cruel (but funny). FC is good hobbitses. Joe, good luck with the quest. Warm and dry feetses is important. A fellow Hobbit.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/14/19
I've got wide feet as well. I have 2 sets each of the Cabelas/Meindl Alaskan Hikers and Denali. Cabelas no longer carries the Meindl boots but the same boots are available for about the same prices through Meindl USA.

The Vakuum hunter mimics the Denali and the Kibo GTX the Alaskan Hiker. The Kibo would be the stiffer sole of the 2 and a bit shorter. Both have great ankle support. I've hunted them in the flat fields here in ND for birds and deer, the mountains of MT and WY for deer and elk, and the N slope of the Brooks Range for Caribou in the frost-boiled tundra.

Day in-Day out, I prefer the Denali/Vakuum's slightly more flexible sole.

The Kibo would be very similar to a Kennetrek Hardscrabble Hiker's stiffness (I have those as well).
Posted By: jpb Re: Wide Boot Recommendations? - 10/14/19
Originally Posted by Ready
You people is cruel (but funny). FC is good hobbitses. Joe, good luck with the quest. Warm and dry feetses is important. A fellow Hobbit.

Ah Ready, I was hoping that you join in the friendly FC abuse -- your hobbit reference made me smile! laugh

There is another thread on this HERE on the 'Fire complete with additional abuse on FC. eek laugh

[Linked Image from cdn.thisiswhyimbroke.com]

John (YAWHF -- yet another with hobbit feet laugh

Cabelas Meindl Lightweight Hunters
Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hikers

Irish Setter Wingshooters
Irish Setter Elk Trackers

Oboz Firebrand
Oboz Sawtooth

I’ve tried many others, but these work for me.
© 24hourcampfire