Home
Posted By: BurninDupont New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
What do you guys like for a new ATV these days? Looking for something no less than 400 cc

Uses would be pulling a small buggy full of firewood / gravel, hauling game, and my ass up the mountain with another rider at times.

No racing or obstacle climbing needed lol thank you all, I appreciate it.
Posted By: CBB15 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Hard to go wrong with a newish Honda Rancher. If you need more power move up to the rubicon.

I am a Yamaha guy too.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
If you want the best ATV of all-time I'd get a 700 Grizzly.
Honda Rancher, stupid reliable just not super fast.
Posted By: waterrat Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
We have a new Rancher with power steering and independent rear, and 4 500 foreman's. Honda hands down for us!!
[Linked Image from i834.photobucket.com]
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Mahindra Roxor. Ok, it’s more like a Willys jeep(almost exactly, except the Diesel engine) but probably great for what you are after. And sturdier than an atv, to boot.

Other than that, yeah, Honda Rancher.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
honda rancher here as well
Posted By: Tom264 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Once you ride a Can Am you won’t want anything else.
With the independent suspension they ride like a Cadillac.
Have only owned a Yamaha Grizzly 400, no experience with the others if that helps.

Need to go check out some of the recommendations, should be fun.
Posted By: Hastings Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Honda
Originally Posted by waterrat
We have a new Rancher with power steering and independent rear, and 4 500 foreman's. Honda hands down for us!!

Thats a beast, nice pic
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
You want fuel injection, power steering, and a winch. I have a Grizzly 700. I had a Grizzly 660 and I worked that beast hard at times. Having to heat the carb with my wife's blow dryer to get it started when it was bitter cold sucked. The 700 has fuel injection, power steering, and a winch.
Posted By: kingston Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19

Caption contest.
Originally Posted by Tom264

I have had both for a while, Can Am is a beast, lots of power and and a good ride, they are my favorite machines. Honda is hands down the king of easy maintenance and reliability though. I think my rancher is 07, other than oil, couple of battery's, maybe one spark plug, it's still running all stock. That poor honda has been ridden hard and put away wet.
Posted By: viking Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
No Polaris?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I have had both for a while, Can Am is a beast, lots of power and and a good ride, they are my favorite machines. Honda is hands down the king of easy maintenance and reliability though. I think my rancher is 07, other than oil, couple of battery's, maybe one spark plug, it's still running all stock. That poor honda has been ridden hard and put away wet.

Agreed.
Honda is right up there as well.
My 2nd choice.
Posted By: Morewood Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Honda Foreman. Or the Rancher, they're both solid.

My 450 Foreman is a 2001 model. Runs like a champ.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
You want fuel injection, power steering, and a winch. I have a Grizzly 700. I had a Grizzly 660 and I worked that beast hard at times. Having to heat the carb with my wife's blow dryer to get it started when it was bitter cold sucked. The 700 has fuel injection, power steering, and a winch.

Thank you for the want list, I will put that to good use.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
What do you guys like for a new ATV these days? .

Kennetrek
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I've always had Suzuki. Actually, still using a '99 model. Kept hearing how awesome Hondas are, so I bought a Foreman 500. I wish I had bought another Suzuki.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by viking
No Polaris?

Not unless your joy comes from working on them. Some people like that.
Posted By: Morewood Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
As much as a like my old school Honda Foreman I'm looking for a newer model with power assist steering and 4 wheel independent suspension.

Curious what the consensus is here. Yamaha makes a quality atv too.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Polaris is fine. They all are.

Running an Artic Cat too at the moment.

I like it too.
Posted By: LJBass Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I keep thinking about getting a Honda Recon 250 for farm work. Any reason to pick something else?

I'll mostly be checking cows and packing around fencing supplies, wouldn't think i'ld need much. On the other hand, I haven't even priced the difference in a 250 and 400.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson

bingo
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19

I totally agree with this one.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
If my 2001 Honda Rancher ever dies, I will get another one.
My 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO has been a solid machine, plenty of power, love the CVT and 4 wheel independent suspension. I bought it new 15 years ago.
Originally Posted by kingston
My 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO has been a solid machine, plenty of power, love the CVT and 4 wheel independent suspension. I bought it new 15 years ago.

And you're one of those "fixers" I was talking about. Don't say you're not. I seem to remember you bending a dozer blade or something back into shape.. .
No, Polaris is a good 4 wheeler.

Only gripe compared to the Artic Cat is that the Polaris needs 4 different fluids as the engine and trans are separate.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

And you're one of those "fixers" I was talking about. Don't say you're not. I seem to remember you bending a dozer blade or something back into shape.. .

I ran into the Polaris with the dozer.
Lol
Originally Posted by LJBass
I keep thinking about getting a Honda Recon 250 for farm work. Any reason to pick something else?

I'll mostly be checking cows and packing around fencing supplies, wouldn't think i'ld need much. On the other hand, I haven't even priced the difference in a 250 and 400.

For farm work, I'd get the solid axle rancher or foreman. They both can pack some serious weight and pull a trailer. I've seriously overloaded mine, more than a few times. I think all the newer ones have fuel injection. Power steering is nice. I'd pass on independent suspension for work. I had a foreman I used to snow plow with, still have the rancher with plow for narrow spots I can't get with my SxS. As a side note, my older carbed foreman would start in the cold way better than my fuel injected rancher. Even at -30 that foreman would fire first try. The fuel injected rancher is bit cold blooded and needs to warm up a bit. My fuel injected Can Am 's have all started easy in the cold also, not sure about any other Honda's.
Unless width and cost is a factor, you need a SxS for what you describe.

Polaris ranger. You’re welcome.
Still running a 1990 Yamaha 350 Big Bear.
Might need to upgrade before something goes to pot, though! smile smile smile
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I have 2 Hondas...An 02 Foreman and a 2014 Rincon.....No complaints with either...in fact the Foreman has only failed to start once since purchase in 03 due to me not stabilizing the fuel when I should have. Having said all that I'm sure many on here have had good luck with other NAME brands.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Yamaha Grizzly.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I have a Yamaha Wolverine SxS now but if I ever buy another ATV, it will be a 700 Grizzly.

If using for work around the farm type stuff, it would be a Honda Rancher hands down.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Their are a lot of good bikes out there, and I did a lot of looking before buying. We bought a pair of Can-Am Outlander L models. I think they dropped the “L” designation, now, but they still offer the same machine with the 570cc engine and power steering. The Can-Am has a lot of features (twin-cylinder engine, fuel injection, power steering, independent rear suspension, 4x4 with auto diff-lock, alloy wheels, hydraulic disc brakes) for a good chunk less than less than $7k. I don’t think we could have found a better machine for the money, and we’ve been very happy with them.
Posted By: tzone Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Honda rancher or foreman.
Slightly used.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Honda Foreman. Or the Rancher, they're both solid.

My 450 Foreman is a 2001 model. Runs like a champ.

Mine is the same. I also have a 2017 Can-Am outlander 450. Don’t buy a Can -am.

I trust the 20 year old quad more than the can-am. Canam has been in the shop 3 times. It’s getting sold and replaced with a Honda rubicon or Yamaha grizzly.

But for what you listed as a use...Honda rancher would be perfect. I would HIGHLY recommend power steering no matter what you get.
Originally Posted by Morewood
As much as a like my old school Honda Foreman I'm looking for a newer model with power assist steering and 4 wheel independent suspension.

Curious what the consensus is here. Yamaha makes a quality atv too.

Newer Honda’s fit that bill as well.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
My Honda Rancher 350ES is going on 20 years old, and the only money I've been out are for gas, oil changes, and a battery or 2. Still has the original tires, although they need replacing. I rarely use it anymore, as I've had a Polaris Ranger UTV for the past 6 years or so. I much prefer the side by sides, and if I were you, would look into them. They are so much more versatile than a 4 wheeler is.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I’ve owned and spent a lot of time on lots of different machines. In my view the answer is a 700 Grizzly (although for what you describe a Kodiak would be fine). Having said that, given your described uses, a SxS is the answer. I have both and default is is the SxS most of the time. For dead nuts reliability, I’m a huge fan of the new Kawi Mule Pro. They’re not race machines....but that is not what I need or want...Cadillac ride and reliability matters most for me.
I have an 2001 foreman I would trust more than my 2009 Polaris 800. We have quite a few guys running older honda’s at our lease and they are always trouble free. Granted my polaris is not new but I bought it new and have had to sink a lot of money in repairs.
The only thing I had to repair on the honda was new brakes and it blew a blade fuse about two years ago. The polaris is a lot more comfortable to ride but for plain reliability and low operating cost the foreman is best. I am thinking about a new machine. Pretty sure it will be a Honda.
Posted By: viking Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Can-Am or Bombardier I thought was supposed to be one of the best.
Posted By: wldthg Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I have owned a Yamaha Big Bear and a Honda Rancher---- Many a mile up and down the mountains here in Upstate NY- Vermont, --- 2001 Big Bear still running ---- Honda Rancher great great machine---- I bought a Honda Pioneer 500 small SxS new for less than $ 9000 tax included. Shaft driven . Hands down, by far the best of the three. Anyone thinking of buying an ATV should not overlook these machines for about the same $$$$$. Web
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I'm running a '89 Yamaha 350 Moto-4 (2 wheel drive). but I'd suggest getting a 4WD. Odometer only goes to 1K miles and no telling how many times it has started over. If it ever quits, I'll probably get another Yamaha..
Posted By: jdunham Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I am a Honda guy at this point in my life. We have had all kinds of machines since 3 wheelers were king in the early 80's, Honda has always been the most reliable. I now have a 2003 Rubicon which has done a ridiculous amount of work and never needed anything more than an oil change. The thing is stupid reliable. Only machines I have seen in our camp that were something that I would avoid are Polaris, friends have had a few and they were all constantly breaking. Guys now own some Yamaha and Can Ams and they seem like good machines. I would just stick with a Honda if I had to buy another.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19

^^This^^ ....... I wouldn't own any other brand.

2104 650 Outlander Max getting new skid plates.

The MAX is a true two-up and really does ride like a dream with full comfort for two riders. I much prefer this to a SxS.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Strange to see this but not unexpected. Here in Vermont we get some really cold weather and often with bitter wind. There are a lot of us that use wheelers for ice fishing and one of the common problems for the Yamaha crowd is failure to start in zero or lower temperatures. This problem seems to be with the newer models of Grisly and Kodiak models with the 700 CC engine. They just crank and crank and won't fire. Warm them up a bit and they fire right away. So far none of the dealers have been able to fix these problems and have done all sorts of things like change to a different oil etc. Nothing seems to work for these guys. I have a Suzuki 750 Kingquad with power steering and it is a beast with plenty of power, speed, ground clearance and always starts.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
A basic Honda Rancher or Foreman is pretty bulletproof. I have one of each, a 2008 Rancher and 2017 Foreman. No bells and whistles, just simple reliable machines that never quit. The basic machines from Yamaha and Suzuki are pretty good too.
I haven't had the cold start problem with the 700 so far. The 660 was a beast to start in cold temps the first start of the day. Using synthetic oil seems to help.
I haven't had the cold start problem with the 700 so far. The 660 was a beast to start in cold temps the first start of the day. Using synthetic oil seems to help.

Probably doesn't get cold enough where you are but here when it gets below zero it seems to happen especially when windy. The guys have switched from ethanol blend to pure gas and used a little fuel antifreeze like HEAT which seems to help if it is a gas line freeze up. Other than that problem the Yamaha's are really nice bikes.
Posted By: RicG Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson

This^^^. Mine is a 2007 and still going strong.

I carry rope, a winch line extension, and a single pulley snatch block. I have synthetic rope on my winch which is far easier to work with than steel cable. To load a deer I take my rope and tie my canteen to it and throw it over a stout limb. The I run the winch line on the pulley, pull if up, tie it off, hook the deer to the winch line, raise it up, swing it over the rack, lower, and bungie it down. I have a corded remote control for the winch. My son brought me several HD carabiners he used for tower work that had been condemned that are really handy.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19

Something from Honda or Yamaha
I carry rope, a winch line extension, and a single pulley snatch block. I have synthetic rope on my winch which is far easier to work with than steel cable. To load a deer I take my rope and tie my canteen to it and throw it over a stout limb. The I run the winch line on the pulley, pull if up, tie it off, hook the deer to the winch line, raise it up, swing it over the rack, lower, and bungie it down. I have a corded remote control for the winch. My son brought me several HD carabiners he used for tower work that had been condemned that are really handy.
Nice and some good advice. I have the steel cable on my Kingquad and use it mostly to pull in my boat dock and lift. I do keep a pulley and rope in my box but rarely have used it. I usually hang my deer with a rope block and tackle and metal gambrel.
Get a Honda Foreman.
Posted By: WAM Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I have an 07 Honda Foreman and my buddy has an 03? Foreman. Everything manual on both. Both start and run in really cold weather when some older other brands in camp seem to have issues. I’ve never done anything to mine except change oil and a new battery. Happy Trails
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
We have gotten along well with Hondas. Don't forget a good service dealer.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
For reliability, any Honda without question. The 400 size is a sweetheart if you aren't a brute.

For big, rugged work when you can get it started, Grizzly 700.
For smooth trail-riding and play, Can-Am.

Never, ever Arctic Cat. They are a maintenance money-pit.
Posted By: slumlord Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19

Caption contest.

"Dalai Lama and the his big brown beaver"
Thats interesting.

Several folks around here have had good luck with Artic Cat.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
The three Arctic Cats on the ranch go back to the dealer for necessary suspension and engine maintenance more often than all of the decades-old Hondas put together.

They go fast, have power, but suspension goes haywire, bearings go out, steering is always going out or going wrong, engines leak oil randomly, start hard when it's cold, brakes don't last at all, body panels can't take much contact, etc.

To the point, I won't ride one down the highway or use it to chase cows because I've seen them locked up or tipped over or loss of brakes too many times with other guys.
I will be damned.

The neighbors and I have had good luck.

You have a bunch of ex rig hands running them? grin
Posted By: walt501 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
The close to geriatric group that posts here on the Fire would have good luck with any machine because their version of of off-roading is running up and down a trail and waving at the grand kids as they go by. So for them, any machine is going to be reliable ANY machine.

But -

If you plan on going where is gets rough, like dropping your machine into hidden sink holes multiple times in one day and having to winch yourself out, then a Honda isn't going to cut it. I know because I've done it on my Honda Rincon. At 3200 miles it took over $700 to fix all the problems. Reliable? Only if you wave at the grand kids - see above.

For riding in and through the rough stuff, there is only one machine that can really handle it. Polaris. I own a Sportsman 850 and I can tell you - from experience - that it can do what the others can't.

I encourage you to watch all the mud pit videos you like on YouTube and over and over again you'll see there is one brand that can make it through the pit. Polaris.

And since you want to buy American and keep your money working in America, a goal of the President YOU voted for, there is only one brand that has its headquarters in the USA and also has its stock listed on the NYSE. Polaris.
Originally Posted by walt501

For riding in and through the rough stuff, there is only one machine that can really handle it. Polaris. I own a Sportsman 850 and I can tell you - from experience - that it can do what the others can't.

If a 700 Grizz can't make it I wouldn't even want to try it.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Finding a dealer that you trust (and that services their products) is probably more important than the brand.

Guys in my hunting club have used Honda, Yamaha, CanAm, Artic Cat, and Polaris. Don't remember any Kawasakis or Suzukis.

In general:

The Hondas and Yamahas were very reliable. The first machines that were used on our club were old 2WD Hondas and Yamahas. Still have a die-hard Yamaha user on a newer 4WD who's machine is pretty much bulletproof. No Hondas left - people wanted to update to automatic trans and Honda was too slow to the game.

The Can Am user switched from an old Honda and seems happy.

Artic Cats have had the most problems - frames, drive shafts, poor starting. One guy still uses one, but is about ready to get rid of it. The other Artic Cat user already switched to Polaris.

Most of us use Polaris now - 400, 500, 700 Sportsmans from late 90s vintage to just a few yrs old. A 550 and a 850 SP EPS, a 570 Ranger and a General. They work just fine, no particular problems, except with OEM Polaris batteries - get rid of those at first opportunity and replace with a good AGM powersport battery.

I have a 2003 Sportsman 400 and a 2009 Sportsman 550 SP EPS. The 400 is showing its age a little, having some trouble with the shift linkage getting out of adjustment and jamming - so no more skidding or winching hardwood logs out of the woods for firewood anymore with that one. The 550 EPS is spooky easy steering and great ride - no problems with it so far.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
For what you describe a Honda Foreman or Rancher would fit the bill. They hold their value if you ever decide you don’t like it.
I was just snooping around Honda's website and the FourTrax Foreman Rubicon looks pretty good.

But it's only a 520cc machine, be curious to climb a few hills with one.

Same price range as a 700 Grizz though, so it had better be awesome.

https://powersports.honda.com/atv/recutility/fourtrax-foreman-rubicon-4x4
Posted By: jeeper Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
What do you guys like for a new ATV these days? Looking for something no less than 400 cc

Uses would be pulling a small buggy full of firewood / gravel, hauling game, and my ass up the mountain with another rider at times.

No racing or obstacle climbing needed lol thank you all, I appreciate it.

Been loving my 2008 Rancher since I bought it new. Replaced a battery since I had it and changed oil and filter regular. No issues at all just stupid reliable.
Posted By: ackleydave Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/12/19
I would think that with the popularity of the SxS’s that the used atv market would be ripe for picking up a good used machine. Honda Foreman here that just keeps on going but would eventually like to move up to a SxS someday. Good luck, Dave
95% of my ATV use is chasin' cows around. I prefer a 4-wheeler to a SxS for rougher country.

Put a few miles on checking irrigation water but nothing like the off-roading when gathering cattle.

Flat ground and no hurry a straight axle Honda can't be beat.

Posted By: thumbcocker Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/13/19
I have a kawasaki '08 650 brute force. I haven't had to replace anything on it yet. I like it. My only complaint is, it is cold blooded in the winter.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/13/19
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I have a kawasaki '08 650 brute force. I haven't had to replace anything on it yet. I like it. My only complaint is, it is cold blooded in the winter.

I like their low center of gravity.
Posted By: aalf Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/13/19

I sold my original 1988 Foreman, that I bought new back in the day, earlier this summer:

And bought a new 2019 Foreman FM1 on closeout, which is the base model with manual shift & solid rear axle:

I was looking at a Rancher first with power steering & electronic shift, but then stepped up to the Foreman for the bigger motor, better bumpers, and locking front differential. I went with bare bones for the less chance of schitt to go wrong in the future. Would have gone carbureted if given the option.

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/13/19
The fuel injection of today is incredibly simple and reliable.

Maybe more so than the old carbs.
Posted By: logcutter Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/13/19
Honda's are the Stihl of atv's and Yamaha's are the .Husqvarna..Can't go wrong with either.Take your pick....I am a Yamaha guy.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The fuel injection of today is incredibly simple and reliable. Maybe more so than the old carbs.

Except you're schit-out-of luck when your battery is too low or dead with fuel injection.

My old Honda had a kick start for those times.....
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/13/19
Yeah....and a Coke used to cost a dime too!
Originally Posted by walt501
The close to geriatric group that posts here on the Fire would have good luck with any machine because their version of of off-roading is running up and down a trail and waving at the grand kids as they go by. So for them, any machine is going to be reliable ANY machine.

But -

If you plan on going where is gets rough, like dropping your machine into hidden sink holes multiple times in one day and having to winch yourself out, then a Honda isn't going to cut it. I know because I've done it on my Honda Rincon. At 3200 miles it took over $700 to fix all the problems. Reliable? Only if you wave at the grand kids - see above.

I encourage you to watch all the mud pit videos you like on YouTube and over and over again you'll see there is one brand that can make it through the pit. Polaris.

And since you want to buy American and keep your money working in America, a goal of the President YOU voted for, there is only one brand that has its headquarters in the USA and also has its stock listed on the NYSE. Polaris.

I like Honda’s ,but have faith in Yamaha and Kawasaki (mule) as well. I believe Polaris is a pile of junk however.
Originally Posted by aalf

I sold my original 1988 Foreman, that I bought new back in the day, earlier this summer:

[Linked Image from oi256.photobucket.com]

And bought a new 2019 Foreman FM1 on closeout, which is the base model with manual shift & solid rear axle:

I was looking at a Rancher first with power steering & electronic shift, but then stepped up to the Foreman for the bigger motor, better bumpers, and locking front differential. I went with bare bones for the less chance of schitt to go wrong in the future. Would have gone carbureted if given the option.

How dare you buy another Honda after all those rough years of ownership?laughing
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
How dare you buy another Honda after all those rough years of ownership?laughing

I know....tough call.....

Sold the old one for $2500 too....

So the upgrade was quite affordable, especially when they threw $1200 off retail on the new one, & no freight or setup charges, which adds $700 or more at some places........

https://kenssports.com/dx1inventory/a53ba03f-908d-4822-afd0-a9c4000512a4
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yeah....and a Coke used to cost a dime too!

Of course that's just a rumor for you....I remember dime drafts...... grin
Posted By: TheKid Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/13/19
My immediate family has been riding Hondas since the 185 three wheelers dad and one uncle bought in about 1982 or so. They upgraded to 250SX three wheelers in 1985. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if those two 250SXs had over 30k apiece on them before they were parked for good. Dad gave his away in 2007 and the guy continued to ride it checking cows and fixing fence for at least 5 more years.
Grandad tried a Kawasaki and an uncle tried a Suzuki, both briefly since neither would start reliably in the cold.
Everyone went to Hondas by about 1994 or so and have had literally zero breakdowns. Nothing but oil, batteries, and tires. 6 Recons, 1 200 FourTrax, and 5 Ranchers.

One uncle and 4 cousins are Polaris guys. The new rigs from Polaris are way better than the old 80’s and 90’s models they all had. But they’re still junk in comparison to the Hondas.

We have one Bombardier Traxter we all split the cost of a $100 raffle ticket for and won. It’s a stump puller with full time 4x4, locked diffs, and a winch. But it’s always been hard starting and rides like a freight wagon. I have to pull the rear cover off to replace the starter clutch currently but haven’t made the time. It’s been a decent machine but I wouldn’t dream of buying another.

If I don’t end up buying a Pioneer 500 I will probably buy a manual shift solid axle 2wd Rancher in the next couple years. I think people overestimate the capability of a lightweight 2wd machine. There’s only been one place in the areas we frequent in CO that the Bombardier or my Cousin’s 800 Polaris would go that I couldn’t get on a 250 Recon. And no places they could get that I couldn’t on a 2wd Rancher. I’ve also hauled out half a bull elk or a whole buck muley on a Recon multiple times including last fall.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/14/19
Honda Rancher. My Honda Rancher is a 2016 with the solid rear axle. My second choice after a Honda would be a Yamaha.
Posted By: Santiam Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/14/19
2016 Polaris H.O. 450 owner here...It's a great machine and I don't even ride around with a sack on my head. smile
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/14/19
Sam convinced me to stay with the Yamaha. Glad I did. It's a 2010 with only 2000 miles so I am obligated to put a bunch more miles on it. I expect to put some more on this next week out hunting.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/14/19
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I've always had Suzuki. Actually, still using a '99 model. Kept hearing how awesome Hondas are, so I bought a Foreman 500. I wish I had bought another Suzuki.

I have the 400 King Quad. It fills all of my needs. My next one will be the 500 King Quad with power steering.

kwg
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: New ATV recommendation - 10/14/19
98 honda 4 trax. Poor bastard has been wrecked hard enough I had to replace the frame. Cant remember the last time I changed the oil and as long as the battery is kept up always starts always goes. Looks like hell but Is reliable. Done thing that I never thought possible on it. Would buy honda again.
© 24hourcampfire