Home
Is it just me or is this forum at a higher risk of malicious popups? My experience especially the later hours when foreign scammers are at work, I get a pop-ups indicating my system is infected. If I stay away from this forum the popups are not an issue. Is this just me or is this quite common? BTW I am working with a MAC

I close the window and issue goes away. Frequent other websites and experience no issues, come back here and the annoying malicious scam intending window re appears. Inquiring mind wishes to know if what I am experiencing is common for others here as well?

Then are there other options to avoid these popups other than to avoid this forum?

I have to ask myself if these scams have political aims as well as financial goal harassing a largely right wing crowd.

Nothing like that here. Weird.
I get them here, too, but only when I'm using my iPhone. The infection warnings are fake. Ignore them.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I get them here, too, but only when I'm using my iPhone. The infection warnings are fake. Ignore them.

The degree of their persistence makes this hard to ignore.
I been getting a pop up supposedly from Google that won't let me navigate out of it without closing the window. It nearly always happens while I'm in the middle of a profound Campfire posting.

But I'm at my up north house right now and using my phone for access. Otherwise I'd be stuck in a 1980s timewarp.
Adblocker plus. Not seen a popup here or anywhere else for years. It does seem many such outbursts are website specific.
Congratulations! You are the 10,000th boomer on this forum to be unable to deal with this on his own.

You don't win anything, as is appropriate.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Adblocker plus.

^^^ This ^^^ And enable "Filtering for this website" in the program. Should get rid of all the annoying crap.
I am getting the Windows upgrade also. What a PIA! Oh yea, I am one of them stupid baby boomers also that is pc illiterate and don't find it easy to deal with, especially after a couple strokes and short term memory issues! Started with upgrade so now unfortunately I frequent here less because I AM STUPID!!!!!
MacAfee sure says so also locking up freezing, no response etc. Time for Rickbin to find a different add system I HOPE.
I don't seem to have any problem.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Adblocker plus. Not seen a popup here or anywhere else for years. It does seem many such outbursts are website specific.

^^^this^^^
Nothing here I use easy adblocker
I get them all the time...sometimes the site is damn near un-usable
That h
Originally Posted by Quak
I get them all the time...sometimes the site is damn near un-usable

This has been more like my experience. Down loaded the software and have had one instance since we will see how this goes. Wish I were the only one experincing this hassle. Guess it is just us boomers wink
Try using Brave. It works. If you don't like it, go back to what you want..
I don’t have any problems like that at all. ? ? ?

I’m using my IPhone now and have a Google Chrome pc.
I use AT&T as my server.

I also don’t get those when using 3 or 4 G off of I net service.

? ? ? Don’t know what to tell you.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Congratulations! You are the 10,000th boomer on this forum to be unable to deal with this on his own.

You don't win anything, as is appropriate.

hahaha
Chrome with adblockwr for windows.
Dolphin for iPad.
Brave for iPhone
Gentlemen,
I have explained this before but it has been a while so I will do it again. Rick sells ad space, the content of which is programmed by the buyers. Some of them don’t play nice, they embed Javascript redirects and/or window pop-up commands. To prove it, go into the settings of your browser of choice and disable Javascript. The problem with doing this is you will be in “read only” mode. You won’t be able to login to post, see PMs, etc.

The solution is to get your browser to stop responding to any of these redirects, while still allowing Javascript to work for this site. For 99% of users this means installing some sort of ad blocker program.
Originally Posted by cotis
Gentlemen,
I have explained this before but it has been a while so I will do it again. Rick sells ad space, the content of which is programmed by the buyers. Some of them don’t play nice, they embed Javascript redirects and/or window pop-up commands. To prove it, go into the settings of your browser of choice and disable Javascript. The problem with doing this is you will be in “read only” mode. You won’t be able to login to post, see PMs, etc.

The solution is to get your browser to stop responding to any of these redirects, while still allowing Javascript to work for this site. For 99% of users this means installing some sort of ad blocker program.

Or simply download the Opera browser and use it for ad free internet. Also has a built in VPN for when you want it. It's become my favorite browser.
All that being said, the advertisers are getting better at getting around the ad blockers.
Still no problems....
© 24hourcampfire