Home
Posted By: ctsmith Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19
Got a splinter down deep that I can't get. Going to try baking soda paste under band aide today, I've heard it will draw the splinter out. Anybody had any luck with baking soda, or any other ideas?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
I just had to tune in to see what a slinter was....
Posted By: mch Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Well if a slinter is like a splinter use this. https://www.amazon.com/Ichthammol-2...wing+salve&qid=1571229439&sr=8-4
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
grin grin grin Woops.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
If it's deep and getting sore - infected - I get the scalpel out and cut down just enough to grab it or push it out.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
If it's deep and getting sore - infected - I get the scalpel out and cut down just enough to grab it or push it out.

I need to get scalpel.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by ingwe

A splinter in your right little finger. (ouch when you reach to take a "p"))
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Pocket knife.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by nighthawk

A splinter in your right little finger. (ouch when you reach to take a "p"))

laugh
Posted By: slumlord Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Dig a hole deeper beside it then tunnel over and rip up. Flip it out with a needle. Douse it with 91% alcohol.

Hint*

Chilean miner rescue analogy.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Paddle Bit, 3/4 inch should do the trick.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
I had one pretty deep in my hand a few years ago. Hand swelled up pretty good and I was able to push it out without doing any cutting. It came out in two pieces, two days apart. Grossed the family out.
Posted By: hanco Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Dig it out!
Posted By: Toddly Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Soak it in cider.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by Toddly
Soak it in cider.

Nah....soak yourself in Wild Turkey.

Wont even notice the splinter eventually.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
I had one in the second joint of my middle finger for about 6 weeks before it worked itself out.

I didn't know it was there.

I just knew the joint was swollen and very sore.

It was a piece of treated lumber about .75" long and about a 1/16" in diameter at the large end.
Posted By: edapp Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Wife stepped on a tooth pick a few years back. Deep in here heel it broke off. a few days later it was driving her crazy so she went to the urgent care. They messed around with it and told her there was nothing in there. Charged us a fortune but swore there wasnt anything in there.

A few days later it was bothering her enough that she tore up her whole heel with a needle and pocked knife and eventually pulled out about 1/4" of tooth pick. Sweet relief!
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
I had one a number of years ago in my leg. Right in the meaty part of the thigh. It was from plywood, and when I tried to pull it out, it broke. No way was I going to dig in that far to get it out. It got infected/ filled with pus. I would change the bandage each day, and squeeze the pus out. Eventually the swelling went down, and no more pus, but never saw the splinter. There still seemed to be a hard spot there. Maybe a half year later I was squeezing around on that spot, and out comes a splinter! It about scared me when it popped out. It was maybe an inch long, and had gone straight down. All that to say that the body is amazingly resilient (if you are healthy) and can do amazing things. I am not recommending that at all, just mentioned it as an anecdote illustrating that i think sometimes we worry more about things than we should!
Posted By: benchman Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by mch
Well if a slinter is like a splinter use this. https://www.amazon.com/Ichthammol-2...wing+salve&qid=1571229439&sr=8-4

That stuff works.
Posted By: JOG Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Before you start diggin' hit the spot with a drop or two of Ambesol.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Super glue
Posted By: victoro Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by mch

That stuff works.

It's also painless and much safer.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19

Splinter tweezers, using a needle to dig down to where it is, squeeze to push it up a bit
Posted By: 4570fan Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
A thick coating of vaseline and loosely wrap it in gauze. It will come up to the top....
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19
I had a piece of treated wood under my arm pit from some play ground equipment one summer.

Tried to get/pull it out myself but no joy.

Asked my friend's mother to try and cut it out but even she would not try because it was to deep.

They did all kinds of sewing/cutting when they ran their dairy.
So went to the doc and he did some work with the thin blade and it took about 1 minute.

felt better right after it came out.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19
Another way of doing it - remove the top layer(s) of skin and let it heal a bit to raise it up a bit.... then repeat until you get the sucker out.
Posted By: Dess Re: Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19
Thank God it isn't metal. Those buggers will bury themselves deeper.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19
If that salve on Amazon is anything like the old black, " Watkins Salve", it will (pardon my old timey euphemism ) "pull Hell off the Cross", ha. It was sold by the "Watkins Man", door to door salesman when I was a kid. Back then, many kids would develop boils. Put a dab of that on under a bandaid, and here came the core! Ha Maybe soaking in hot Epsom Salt Water a long time will draw it out too. I had one in my back ( slid down a paneled oilfield shack and a splinter went deep, broke off. My boss was wimpy, so had to go to Doc. He deadened it and cut it out.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by mch

Do you just apply that salve on the splinter entrance and put on a Band Aid?

L.W.
Posted By: mch Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Yes, just be careful not to get to much on fingernails. Had a friend tell me he used it on a splinter under his fingernail. And the fingernail came off.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Remove it Mountain Man style - have a friend lash you down with deer rawhide straps, heat a bear knife over an open fire, put a stick in your mouth after swallowing half a bottle of cheap whisky, and he tells you "hold on!" before he goes to work on you...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by mch

That stuff works.

Yep, I try to keep some on hand.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Remove it Mountain Man style - have a friend lash you down with deer rawhide straps, heat a bear knife over an open fire, put a stick in your mouth after swallowing half a bottle of cheap whisky, and he tells you "hold on!" before he goes to work on you...

gonehuntin,

O.k. here's the deal, if I ever get a splinter, just stay the Hell away from me with your bar' knife and rawhide...!!

You're as bad as my Dad used to be. "...just put a big ol' sloppy chew of Copenhagen on it and I'll dig it out at noon with my old, rusty pocket knife."
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Don't be a puss, get a razor blade (Stanly knife type) and dig that bugger out! it'll help if you pour a little oral-gel on it when you start digging.

A good product for drawing it out is Watkins petro carbo suave.
Posted By: 35 Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Finger nail clippers.
Nip at the entry of the splinter with the clippers till your deep enough to grab the splinter.
I`ve been working on boats for over 30 years.
Wood and fiberglass splinters are a weekly occurrence.
Wipe things down with alcohol and triple antibiotic ointment on the wound.
If that old black ointment {itchthammol} won't get it , it can't be got.
Got it. Let finger soak in vinegar for about 30 minutes. It really softened up the callus and I was able to find the head with needle. I'm pretty sure the vinegar drew the splinter nearer to the surface, it was easy to find whereas before it was nowhere to be seen, even after picking fairly deep. Pulled out with a good set of tweezers. Darn thing was 3/8" long and went nearly straight in. Had to be close to coming out the other side.

Got it by smoothing a bead of caulk on trim with my finger preparing for paint. I hate painting.
Posted By: hanco Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Chainsaw!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
My girlfriend had one like that in her thumb. In several days it started getting red and I told her to get the hell down to the doc in the box.
She didn't want to go because it was Sunday.
On Monday I bitched at her some more, she went to doc in the box, they sent her right down to Mission Memorial Hospital. She was one day away from having her thumb amputated. Close call.

She just got loaded up on antibiotics.
Posted By: Gus Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
true story: reaching for a pan under the kitchen counter, finger raked the back of the door front. drove a wood splinter to the bottom of the middle finger nail. could see it. was shorter than the nail was long.

went to a local doctor in a box. they didn't take my insurance. damn them!

went to a local CVS. local counter girl helped me pick a sharp pointed tweezers. she couldn't get it out. she tried while i stood there all teary eyed.

damn it all!

cut the nail back to the quick. still couldn't reach it. gettin' stirred up now!

gave up. will go to the grave like this, and so be it.

low and behold majic happened. the nail kept growing.

the old piece of plywood sliver began to move forward. that is outward.

about two weeks later and i grabbed it with the tweezers procured from CVS and snatched it out.

damn those people that wouldn't take my insurance to hell!
Posted By: rong Re: Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19
[img]https://postimg.cc/RNNbCZMV[/img]

Pay attention to slivers/splinters.Had one in my finger that I didn't get out and it turned into an inclusion cyst,had to have it surgically removed

shoot cant get it to post.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Got a splinter down deep that I can't get. Going to try baking soda paste under band aide today, I've heard it will draw the splinter out. Anybody had any luck with baking soda, or any other ideas?

Oh for heaven's sake. Just go to the emergency room.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by Dess
Thank God it isn't metal. Those buggers will bury themselves deeper.

And rust.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Had a friend helping another friend put on a treated lumber deck. He got a tiny splinter in a finger. His entire hand swole up past his wrist. Before it finally came to the surface he was scheduled for surgery the next day, to amputate his finger. Because of the arsenic content in the lumber he was on meds for a couple months.He played guitar at his church. It took several months before he could play again. If it is swollen and red go to ER.
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19

Porter's Salve. Been around for years . Get it online. Will draw it right out.
Or just take your panties off and dig it out.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Amputate....only way to make sure.
Posted By: JOG Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
My son-in-law got a porcelain sliver in his foot from a broken plate. I dug and dug for about 20 minutes until the poor kid about died. I told him afterwards the sliver came out in the first 30 seconds.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
my old man got one from a piece of rail road tie, got so infected he ended up in the hospital on an antibiotic drip for 3 days, my dad's a tough of guy and dang near got taken out by a splinter of all things.
Posted By: Gus Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

Porter's Salve. Been around for years . Get it online. Will draw it right out.
Or just take your panties off and dig it out.

normally i don't wear gloves to procure pans from under the kitchen counter.

but when it comes to trtd wood, and a splinter gets embedded, probably better to take immediate action.

worst pain i evert had was the splinter going to the base of my finger nail.

back in the day when boils were common, sulfur and also mustard were used.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Oh for heaven's sake. Just go to the emergency room.

Thats what my wife said but I wasnt ready to give up my man card for a splinter. grin
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Toddly
Soak it in cider.

Nah....soak yourself in Wild Turkey.

Wont even notice the splinter eventually.

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19
Actually, soaking in warm water should help draw it out.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Deep splinter removal - 10/16/19

Dickweed
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/16/19

If this doesnt work get surgery

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/w...Y5QUrulLHSoX_QKHK9PS8SGjr6oaAqbQEALw_wcB
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/17/19
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by mch

Do you just apply that salve on the splinter entrance and put on a Band Aid?

L.W.

Yep.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/18/19
do the dishes in the sink. warm soapy water will soften the skin and swell the wooden splinter.

If it doesn't come out the first time, at least the dishes are done.

soak in warm water with epsom salts if splinter is in your foot.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Deep slinter removal - 10/18/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Pocket knife.

Right.

My daughter thinks I'm the best at removing her splinters. She had one a few weeks ago, wouldn't let her husband remove it. She and her family came for a visit. I removed the splinter from her hand. It's a good thing they live close.
© 24hourcampfire