Home
Posted By: Leanwolf Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
Lionel Nation expounds on the genealogy search craze. (Not for me. I like what little privacy I have left.)

L.W.
Anybody that wears fugged up looking glasses like that.....I can't give 'em much credibility on any subject , except maybe circus clownery.

Mike
Good buddy who was adopted did one, next thing you know he's contacted by an aunt, brother, cousins he never knew he had. Both his biological parents were dead though.
Posted By: hanco Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
We did it. It was interesting. I was supposed to have a lot of American Indian...not. I’m half English, half Scandinavian with 6% Italian. Wifey about the same with 3% Middle Eastern in her.
Its a scam. Real genealogy requires research and verification of documents. I guarantee anyone who first does true genealogical research and then spits on a card and mails it in will also uncover the scam.
Stupid azz mother of mine demanded I do it. Easier to keep the peace even though I've told her how damn stupid she is as she ages. What a PITA.

We have our family traced back to the 1600s. And she believes her DNA more than what our records show.

And really, WTF difference does it make? Won't change a thing. I don't really get this DNA craze.

We did contemplate sending in the dogs saliva.

But there are mitigating circumstances due to what she still owns vs what we have invested daily in maintenance and how stupid she could get... I swear, age and a woman that thinks she is the only one and the only right one.. Ugh.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...any-is-sharing-genetic-data-with-the-fbi
Posted By: WTF Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
No phuggin way.
Didnt do it for the family, but my wife tested DNA on the mixed breed dogs we have.
Posted By: Dess Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
Protect your Rights. Starting with your Right to Privacy.

The DNA kit is a Pandora's box that cannot be undone. DNA is a great tool until it's used improperly and used as a weapon against you.
Originally Posted by WTF
No phuggin way.

DITTO!
One brother did it, he also gave as Christmas gifts to both parents.
All three shared their results with my other brother and myself.

I am GTG........without giving anything out.
KYHillChick got me to do the Ancestry.com spit test.

So far, I've gotten email from two possible previously unknown cousins. Both were illegitimate issue of my Dad's relatives. One by an older brother and another was by one of his first cousins.

The good news is that Dad may have given me a tall story regarding what he did during the Korean Conflict. The part about him being the real-life Sparky (from M.A.S.H.) is undoubtedly correct. However, he may have overblown his "patriotic duty." According to Dad, he and a buddy were in charge of delivering nurses out to the M.A.S.H. units from Kimpo. They'd show up at the plane in an ambulance. The buddy drove while Dad entertained the nurses with Screwdrivers made from frozen OJ concentrate and 100 proof medicinal alcohol.

"I did my patriotic duty. Every nurse we delivered arrived drunk and pregnant," declared Dad.

So far, no half-siblings have shown up.
I mights well admit right now.

I dun one them dna tests.

Found out I'm some kin to some nigerian prince.

Now I got millions & millions of dollars.

Mike
Did not bother as I know who my parents, grandparents,..... are.
Posted By: Steve Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
I did it. Found out I'm .2% North African/Arab and .1% Mongolian/Manchurian. Rest of it was pretty much as I thought.
Turns out I’m a Labrador Retriever.
The next try found me part Copenhagen and part Evan Williams.
Originally Posted by hanco
We did it. It was interesting. I was supposed to have a lot of American Indian...not. I’m half English, half Scandinavian with 6% Italian. Wifey about the same with 3% Middle Eastern in her.

When I moved to the South, most everyone I met, black & white, claimed Amerindian ancestry. "I'm 1/128th Choctaw on my mother's side..." Did not see this in the part of the North from which I hail.

The reality is blacks average 20% white across the black population and 0% amerindian. And whites in the South average about 0% amerindian and 0% black.

FTR, I have enjoyed my sojourn south of the M-D.
1. Made lots of good friends and learned how the bicoastal rat bastidges lie about folks down here.
2. Developed a taste for greens, truly a wonderful food. Best eaten with corn bread (no sugar in the mix, please) and fried catfish.
3. Y'all. The plural of you, informal. I resisted it for years, but it surely is handy.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
The next try found me part Copenhagen and part Evan Williams.

Holy cow I have a long-lost brother.
Originally Posted by Dess
Protect your Rights. Starting with your Right to Privacy.

The DNA kit is a Pandora's box that cannot be undone. DNA is a great tool until it's used improperly and used as a weapon against you.

This.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by WTF
No phuggin way.

DITTO!

X1000
100% knuckle dragging, hairy backed, dick swinging son of a bîtch.
I'm 75% Hagar the Horrible and 25% Dilbert.
I did it. No real surprises. My family has traced much of our ancestral tree back to Europe on many different branches. According to the Census records, that we know about, I am about 0.40% Native American from a many great Grandmother. (Yeah jfruser, that is very close to 0%, I have no clue if the records are correct because people didn't just start lying and there was a tax advantage to marrying an indian at the time. I have never claimed to have native american heritage, even though I can knapp a pretty mean arrowhead) That small of a % wouldn't be likely to show up anywhere in a DNA test and it didn't surprise me that it didn't. The DNA test did show up some relatives that would have been very difficult to find any other way. I was very surprised that those relatives were located and the relationship correctly identified. I did find out that a twin brother that I always thought was fraternal is actually identical. Ancestry thinks my children and his children are siblings...and that we are the same person. There is something to this DNA test that is very accurate.
This brings to mind that old joke where a guy sends in a mix-n-match sample to the miracle diagnosis urine test lab and the results come back:

1. Your wife has the clap.

2. Your 13 year old daughter is pregnant.

3. Your son is gay.

4. Your dog has fleas.

5. If you quit jacking off so much your tennis elbow will clear up.
No.

Ain't gonna either. That'd be like me giving my credit card info to you guys. I don't trust the mofo's.
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Anybody that wears fugged up looking glasses like that.....I can't give 'em much credibility on any subject , except maybe circus clownery.

Mike

He stole the idea from Al Roker, ever see those snorkeling goggles lookin' things he wears? A different color every day. He went a little off the rails when he lost his buddy Matt Lauer the rapist.
I already know I’m descended from Scottish sheep shaggers, French pork miners, German kohlrabi mongers, and an entire hosts of other religious fanatics.
Posted By: Gus Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
gott mine done with 23 and also ancestry. they were very near identical in results. of course, courthouse lawyers use dna results also.

have got far less american indian than the stories go, especially on my mom's side. the results just weren't there, except a trace.

have got a little over 1200 distant cousins. i know some 6 of the total listing. and so it goes.

have some close cousins adopted under closed records. we have to believe the dna or not.
No, have not done it. Do not intend to.

Sometimes one hears of interesting results where brothers discover they are only half, or fathers discover 20 + year old kids are really not theirs. Surprises abound! Do you really wish to surprised?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
I decided to pass, no thanks.
I paid 23andme.com a hundred bucks to run my DNA. Worth every penny. I am primarily Irish, Scottish, and Welsh, with some German and Danish.
Also, I am a little more Indian than Elizabeth Warren, I am one tenth of one percent Indian.

Also, to my delight, I am 3 percent Neanderthal, and I have some of the highest Neanderthal DNA ever tested for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Here is my family get-together in back in the cave in Scotland in 43,341 BC. I am the kid right front with the rock.
We had such a wonderful Christmas that year.
i did the ancestory.com test and the results pretty much confirmed what i knew. which was exhaustive research going back to about 800a.m. in northern germany, scotland, and croatian/slovakian.
it did give me some contacts in scotland which i would have not known about.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
No, have not done it. Do not intend to.

Sometimes one hears of interesting results where brothers discover they are only half, or fathers discover 20 + year old kids are really not theirs. Surprises abound! Do you really wish to surprised?

My saintly skydiving Mom, fervently identifying as a Brit, always made fun of the Irish.

Got my DNA results in, 79% Irish from County Cork, means my Mom has to be at least 58% Irish too grin

19% English from the Midlands, 2% Swedish.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I paid 23andme.com a hundred bucks to run my DNA. Worth every penny. I am primarily Irish, Scottish, and Welsh, with some German and Danish.
Also, I am a little more Indian than Elizabeth Warren, I am one tenth of one percent Indian.

Also, to my delight, I am 3 percent Neanderthal, and I have some of the highest Neanderthal DNA ever tested for.

Here is my family get-together in back in the cave in Scotland in 43,341 BC. I am the kid right front with the rock.
We had such a wonderful Christmas that year.

dang it! get a rope and hang'em.

i'm only 2 percent neanderthal. i'm kinda disappointed to tell ya the truth.

plenty of scotti in my blood. back from when scotland was a heavily forested country.

these tests might not be accurate to the 17 decimal point level. but they are good indicators.

i thought i'd have some askinadze hebrew in my bloodlines, but not according to either test. nada.
I haven't done it, but would.

The fbi already has my dna.
I got results and then they updated those results and changed all of my percentages, eliminating many of the original claims. Mostly Irish and Welsh with some French. First reading included a bunch of Italian and they revised that to zero. they relied heavily on relatives, obviously.

Here is my family get-together in back in the cave in Scotland in 43,341 BC.

Or in Glasgow last year. grin
Originally Posted by Raeford
One brother did it, he also gave as Christmas gifts to both parents.
All three shared their results with my other brother and myself.

I am GTG........without giving anything out.

Changed their lives and yours knowing didn't it.. NOT... I have NO clue what the purpose of this is.

And if I dont know some of my relatives, seems like a GOOD thing to me.
I must say, in the past several years I have heard about some 25 year old gal, calling up some 60 year old guy, who she had never spoken to before, and saying "Hello, Daddy!"

I must say I am a prime candidate for that, but so far it has not happened to me.
not only no, but helllll no. its bad enough these pricks have my fingerprints from the military. people that do this are naive as hell.
Originally Posted by rem141r
not only no, but helllll no. its bad enough these pricks have my fingerprints from the military. people that do this are naive as hell.

naieve as hell you say?

i agree. but we're passed all of that.

drivers license, phone numbers, water bills, gas bills. tax bills.

i just hate it when the prospect of a GI jeep, w/MP's drive up in the yard.

what about federal and state taxes? they have SS #'s, and phone numbers.

we're all pretty much in the federal/global inventory of humans alive on earth.

we could go on: are we into paying taxes: should they be higher or lower tax rates.
Posted By: IDK Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/17/19
Do you think if you did it twice you would get the same results?
i participated in the nat geo dna test years ago, ancestry said somewhat the same thing. interesting enough it had one small area in slovakia earmarked, where my grandmother came from.
it did give me a list of people ranked by how close our dna was together.
i just went through it again after reading this thread, reconized people on the list i knew were relatives, but have never met. it can be pretty accurate i think.
as to the gooberment, i am on so many lists now i think i could fahrt outside the house and it would show up on some data screen.
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

It goes along with the bow tie
A few data points are worthless, millions of data points are priceless.
Family legend is that we have a Cherokee Indian in the mix. My brother turned up unverifiable evidence that it MIGHT have been Freedman Cherokee, an entirely different thing. A DNA test showed zero % of either.
Never have, and never will.
Originally Posted by 16bore
A few data points are worthless, millions of data points are priceless.

You get it.
Sending DNA samples to strangers. What could go wrong?
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Sending DNA samples to strangers. What could go wrong?

Just ask Equifax. Your data will be safe.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Family legend is that we have a Cherokee Indian in the mix. My brother turned up unverifiable evidence that it MIGHT have been Freedman Cherokee, an entirely different thing. A DNA test showed zero % of either.

Rockahontas, Brother is that you?

Schit! you should have just asked the fire, I'm sure they would have told you that for free!
Originally Posted by TN_Chooter
Do you think if you did it twice you would get the same results?

Why don't you ejaculate in a bottle and send off to them multiple times? It'll keep you occupied, and lessen your chances of reproducing.
Didn't I read where one of those DNA companies was recently purchased by one of the insurance companies?
Probably nothing to be concerned about if they did . . .
Originally Posted by LouisB
Didn't I read where one of those DNA companies was recently purchased by one of the insurance companies?
Probably nothing to be concerned about if they did . . .

Not sure why an insurance company would want that info ... I mean ...

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

You're kinda obligated to vote for Elizabeth Walking Bird then.
No f**king way I'll do it. It worries me when I go twice a year to have blood work done for cholesterol they are sending some off for a database somewhere. But I'm not doing it voluntarily. I would bet every baby born for the past 10-15 years has had their DNA taken, under the guise of the blood type test.
Posted By: Dess Re: Do You Do The Spit Kit Test? - 10/18/19
[quote=WayneShaw I would bet every baby born for the past 10-15 years has had their DNA taken, under the guise of the blood type test.[/quote]

Excellent point. My birth certificate used feet prints. It's not a stretch to think those new blood samples are stored somewhere too. Probably something "giving permission" is buried in the fine print when you are admitted into the hospital.
© 24hourcampfire