Home
Posted By: persiandog Evolution of TV - 10/18/19
[Linked Image from cimg3.ibsrv.net]
Posted By: Gus Re: Evolution of TV - 10/18/19
too funny. remember a b&w tv back about 1955 at my cousin's house.

we have come far and fast since those days.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Evolution of TV - 10/18/19
Here's the first TV I remember, b&w of course. It was a Muntz. It was said old man Muntz would wander the lab looking over the shoulder of engineers developing circuits. Then he'd pull wire cutters out of a pocket and start snipping components out until the circuit failed The idea being building the cheapest set on the sales floor with a decent picture in strong signal areas (where the bulk of the customers are) that would last a few years until a new model came out. The practice of getting circuit component count to the bare minimum became known as "Muntzing." The red X in the picture is where you kick an old set when the horizontal hold looses lock. (Wonder how Dad discovered that? smile Was my first lesson in consumer electronics repair.) And jiggle the tuner knob if the picture goes snowy. Try doing that with your new digital box And the old Muntz wasn't a threat to spy on you.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: hanco Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Them new fangled TVs have come a long way!!
Posted By: Gus Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Originally Posted by hanco
Them new dangled TVs have come a long way!!

it might not be long till we see individuals/ men and'or women walking on the moon.

what we've got going on here is NASA really setting the stage for things to come.

the high priests at nasa are doing all they can with the money they have available.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Coulda been an Yakof Smirnov line. Here you watch TV. In Soviet Union TV watches you. S'pose the Chinese thought that was a truism?

it might not be long till we see individuals/ men and'or women walking on the moon.

You mean NASA kept the set all these years??

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Digital Picture Quality hasn’t been kind to the Starlet’s faces.
You can see every flaw needs nowadays no matter how much makeup they wear.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Coulda been an Yakof Smirnov line. Here you watch TV. In Soviet Union TV watches you. S'pose the Chinese thought that was a truism?

You mean NASA kept the set all these years??

I asked a Chinese guy how is life in china ? he said "can't complain"
I hate digital. If you ever lived in a deep fringe area you'd know that the brain is excellent at filtering out noise on a video signal. Digital, it's either good or gone, relatively short range stuff. The brain is also excellent at compensating for less than perfect detail. Personally I find less detail more comfortable to watch. You comprehend the scene without being distracted by unnecessary detail.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
I remember as a kid we thought a 20” screen was HUGE 😬
Originally Posted by persiandog
I asked a Chinese guy how is life in china ? he said "can't complain"

As the people in Hong Kong are in the process of finding out. Reality parodies art. Sure sucks for them.
Posted By: DBT Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Originally Posted by persiandog
[Linked Image from cimg3.ibsrv.net]

Does your dishwasher work? smile
Posted By: 1minute Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
If one has to move his head from side to side while watching a tennis match on TV, it's too large.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
PD, stick with the dish washer and you won't need a tv!!!
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Someone ought to post a picture of his 400# wife and 37" tv.
Now now, it's not polite to allege that a man has a small TV.
Posted By: pheasant665 Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
I think i need a new TV and Dishwasher, i need to get new ones too.
Posted By: DBT Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Forget the TV, a new dishwasher would be fine.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
I remember the first tv I ever bought. Broke as could be, struggling to pay rent and buy groceries, but tired of looking at 4 walls. Went to Wal-Mart and bought a 12" B&W tv. Cost $49, IIRC. A friend gave me a set of 'rabbit-ears', so I was good to go.
Posted By: pheasant665 Re: Evolution of TV - 10/19/19
Originally Posted by DBT
Forget the TV, a new dishwasher would be fine.

You are right, would watch the dishwasher and clean the dishes with the TV.
© 24hourcampfire