Home
Posted By: SockPuppet Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/18/19
I traveled for business last week so I haven't driven the F350 in a bit. One of the mutant beagles was barking her head off and running around the truck so I checked it out. Saw one little bastid up by the turbo and another on the spare tire. Tried to get 'em out so the dogs could play with them, but they were too smart for that. I started it, revved it, and moved it around. Can't find them now and the dogs didn't get any. They started to make a mess under the hood, but I don't see any chewed up parts yet. How do I keep the little bastids away? Never had issues with them before.
22 bullets are cheap!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
22 bullets are cheap!

I've got plenty, but the location doesn't lend itself to rimfire action in most cases.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/18/19
You can tie vanilla air fresheners underneath the hood. When the fields flooded at our place the field mice moved in and ate the plug wires out of the wife’s car and the mechanic said that the vanilla is over powering to them so we tried and no problems since. We use the ones that look like a tree. It might work with squirrels as well.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/18/19
110 conibear
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/18/19
Pellet gun. You've probably had a population increase this year.
Posted By: Quak Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/18/19
Beats crabs on your organ
Tie the dogs to the truck
We don't want to know how you know that.
Originally Posted by Quak

Crabs are bad Ju-Ju.!!!
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
Bats in the belfry? Mad as a march hare?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
Crap. I thot this was about Piglosi and Hillary.
Moth Balls work pretty good.
Posted By: las Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
Wife just cleaned up this mess from under the big spruce just off our deck stairs. 6 large wheelbarrow loads - that is loads in a large wheelbarrow. The little bastard can starve!

She won't let me cut the tree, and the dogs find the squirrel entertaining. There are two more such sites along the driveway, but screw it - we will drive over them!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Squirrels are by far the smartest rodents.
Posted By: coobie Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
Peppermint oil and moth balls.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
My son has woods all around his house and outbuildings, and has problems with squirrels chewing his gas lines on his tractor and mower. We've killed a bunch, but they keep coming back.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My son has woods all around his house and outbuildings, and has problems with squirrels chewing his gas lines on his tractor and mower. We've killed a bunch, but they keep coming back.

James how come you're not out with the ole smoke pole this morning ?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
We had squirrels getting in the pecan trees. They were coming from the woods, behind the house. So we cut down the trees, behind the house. Wa-la, no squirrels.

Cut down the trees. smile
Posted By: Quak Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
I bait squirrels into my yard all winter. Of course I eat squirrels so there yo go
Aguilla Colibri in a .22 rifle. Make less noise than a pellet gun and hit harder. One season the gophers (ground squirrels) had a population explosion and invaded my garden. Not supposed to shoot anything in town so I sat inside the garden shed or on the deck where nobody could see me and sniped the little bastids.
I had mice eat the wires on my Toyota Tacoma.
$3500 later it was fixed.
The dealer recommended Fresh Cab.
It is sold at the local Ace Hdwe.
I put one under the hood and one in the glove box and no more trouble.
It has worker for 5 yrs.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
Originally Posted by Kyhilljack

James how come you're not out with the ole smoke pole this morning ?

Should have been, but haven't seen a buck here that has gotten me excited. Had to deliver something I sold to an Amish fellow early this morning, and decided that money was better than sitting in a stand just to kill time. I'm not a big fan of blackpowder hunting anyway. I don't like to have to do all that cleaning afterwards.
Good info, fellas, thanks!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19

But not tulips on it.
I bait squirrels into my yard all winter. Of course I eat squirrels so there yo go

Youre a smart man. Free toxin free meat, as long as neighbors arent putting out rat poison for them.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

But not tulips on it.

Amen.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
I put some corn on the pan of small traps to catch them when I was a kid. Be careful! I would catch them by one leg, the head, both legs, you never knew. Mom finally told me to knock it off, she was sick of cooking them.
Posted By: Fugawe Re: Squirrels Under the Hood! - 10/19/19
I tolerated the red squirrels until they started climbing screens and chewing up my feeders.
I attributed this behavior to a lead deficiency and inoculated every one that showed up.
Apparently the rest got the memo as I haven't seen one in 6 months.
Go to Amazon and look up electric rat repellers. Find the ones with 5 gold star ratings, and buy three different ones. I figure each one will have a slightly different sound level.
Aim them at the car and it will be bye by to these rodents.

I did this for my Nissan a year ago, I had rats chewing on the wires, and building nests on top of the damn battery. Since I installed my Amazon repellers the rats have been gone.
Squrrel = Rat, with a furry tail.
Fresh Cab. I have it in all my trucks and tractors.
© 24hourcampfire