Home
Posted By: irfubar Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
So the other night I was at a Mule Deer Foundation event and Yeti was a major sponsor. I had swore off Yeti products after the NRA dust-up. In light of the shenanigans the NRA has been up to could Yeti have been justified?

My political vote seems to do little good , so I can and do vote with my wallet. Is it ok to purchase Yeti products? Any insight would be appreciated.
As far as I know Yetti pulled out of the NRA after a AR15 involved mass shooting. So fuggem if they don't support our constitutional rights and bow to this weeks political winds. There are better coolers cheaper that made by companies that support our constitution. See ORCA coolers.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Make your own decisions.

Personally I believe Yeti is way over price compared to all the other products that provide comparable performance aside from all the political hubub.
Posted By: efw Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
As far as I know Yetti pulled out of the NRA after a AR15 involved mass shooting. So fuggem if they don't support our constitutional rights and bow to this weeks political winds. There are better coolers cheaper that made by companies that support our constitution. See ORCA coolers.

^+1
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Yeti is as dead to me as Dick's Sporting Goods.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Thanks men ,
I forgot the details of the dust up. Pulling out cuz of AR15's is unforgivable.
The only reason I was considering purchasing a Yeti product is their soft side coolers seem to have by far the best reviews. I already have a 65 qt hardside Yeti, paid $150 for it and that is about what it is worth, so I agree with the over priced opinion.
Any other real world experience with a high quality soft side cooler?
Posted By: Raeford Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
It's Stihl or noth.........
Ooops
Originally Posted by Raeford
Ooops

Wrong thread trouble maker..... wink
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

This^^^. My RTIC is just as good and i bought it at half the price. The other $ 200 could go to a worthy cause such as Gabriel or the Second Amendment Foundation. Just a thought.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
I have the R-tic soft side and I'm very happy with it for half the price.
Yeti is as dead to me as Willie Nelson's dick is to him.
fixt wink

They are as dead as Elija Cummings next birthday party.
R-tic was on my radar thanks for the recommendation
Posted By: 1minute Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Over priced plastic. Would be interested in knowing what their profit margin is.
Ooops

RAEFORD!!!!!
Originally Posted by 1minute
Over priced plastic. Would be interested in knowing what their profit margin is.

I bet it is huge. My buddies son was stationed in the Philippines for a bit with the Navy . He said Yeti 65's were $100 dollars! He got us several we had to pay $50 freight to get them here , hence my $150 Yeti
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
What about NAPA Gold?
Stihl for the win... that and 270's.....
Posted By: sidepass Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Make your own decisions.

Personally I believe Yeti is way over price compared to all the other products that provide comparable performance aside from all the political hubub.

This!
Originally Posted by irfubar
Stihl for the win... that and 270's.....

You're a smart man.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Ooops

laugh laugh laugh

That's a good one!!!
Posted By: killerv Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
The folks saying rtic is just as good are wrong, thinner plastics, cheaper handles...half price as good...maybe. I wouldn't buy a yeti either, but I have been given some of their tumblers as gifts.

Just got through repairing a rtic soft cooler, didn't make it a day at the beach without all the glue loosening up and the seems coming apart.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Stihl for the win...

Fugg Stihl. Overpriced with a monopoly on repair/replacement parts.
R-tic was on my radar thanks for the recommendation

I have one. It holds ice very well. The zipper is the weak point. https://www.thehulltruth.com/vendor-talk/935276-rtic-softside-cooler-beware-unexpected-update.html
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
r-tic is made by red china, right?

Where are your coolers made?
Like other major competitors, RTIC products are made in China in order to provide the best quality at the lowest price to you, the consumer. Just like many of the outdoor products you will buy at your favorite sporting goods store; overseas manufacturing is a cost effective way for retailers to provide an affordable product to its customers.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19

This
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
I just took a whole butchered and partially frozen elk home in a $60 Costco Marine cooler. The butcher put 10 lbs. of dry ice in (all he had, WTF) and I put 2-20 lbs. bags of ice from Wal-Mart in. It took me 3 days to drive home, the Wal-Mart ice never melted, the meat was nice and frozen when I hit home. I had a borrowed Yeti cooler with me, it wouldn't hold the whole elk and ice! Fugg Yeti!
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
I went with a Canyon cooler after over -researching as usual. Supposedly even better and they are sized to fit more than a comparable Yeti. Am completely happy with the beast it is - but I think someone told me after I bought it there was some political issue with them too... I can't find any beef with them but haven't spent much time looking. I like the latches on my Canyon better than those on my buddy's Yeti.

Yeti vs Canyon
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Canyon is made here in flagstaff, last I heard.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
I have a soft sided Rtic. Love it. Recommend without hesitation.
Posted By: semi Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Yeti is way over priced when the competition is just as good for half the price. Add that to the NRA thing a few years back and i can't figure out why people would buy them. Everyone makes a rotomolding cooler these days and they all work just as well, they just aren't priced at $400 like the yeti.

If you want a great softsided cooler look at AO coolers.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
As I understand it, you can take food from a 400 degree oven, place it in a Yeti cooler, and it will freeze within 10 minutes.
Originally Posted by semi
Yeti is way over priced when the competition is just as good for half the price. Add that to the NRA thing a few years back and i can't figure out why people would buy them. Everyone makes a rotomolding cooler these days and they all work just as well, they just aren't priced at $400 like the yeti.

If you want a great softsided cooler look at AO coolers.

Those AO coolers look nice. Thanks
Originally Posted by RJL53
Stihl for the win...

Fugg Stihl. Overpriced with a monopoly on repair/replacement parts.

Blasphemy!!!!!
Will a Stihl cut through a Yeti?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As I understand it, you can take food from a 400 degree oven, place it in a Yeti cooler, and it will freeze within 10 minutes.

Yeti is the creedmoor of coolers. wink
Posted By: hanco Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
R-tic is just as good!!!
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Right on dude.... I got cool stickers all over mine..... send it... lmao

270's and 220 swifts rule.... smile
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
the Ozark Trail soft side coolers work every bit as good as a Yeti. Cost is about 1/6th
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Lotta fake news on here.... Yeti didnt stop supporting the NRA because of any AR-15 thing... google people, stop being a CNN with the fake news...

They stopped selling discounted products to the NRA Foundation (not the NRA or NRA-ILA).

A few weeks ago, YETI® notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that “[YETI has] declined to continue helping America’s young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities.” Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.”
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Lotta fake news on here.... Yeti didnt stop supporting the NRA because of any AR-15 thing... google people, stop being a CNN with the fake news...

They stopped selling discounted products to the NRA Foundation (not the NRA or NRA-ILA).

A few weeks ago, YETI® notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that “[YETI has] declined to continue helping America’s young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities.” Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.”

Timed "coincidentally" with?

All day everyday!
But only with a G E N U I N E Stihl chain.

Well this is interesting..... kinda goes with the fact they were a major supporter of the event I attended, hosted by the Mule deer foundation..... hmmmm is the NRA trying to cover their azz?

All day everyday!

Ok Raeford... Stihl wins.... what about husqvarna? will it cut through a Yeti?

All day everyday!

Ok Raeford... Stihl wins.... what about husqvarna? will it cut through a Yeti?

Shirley, you jest?
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19

Well this is interesting..... kinda goes with the fact they were a major supporter of the event I attended, hosted by the Mule deer foundation..... hmmmm is the NRA trying to cover their azz?

Would you hook a company up that was also advertising Orca Coolers all over the place... a company that infringed on your patent and is your competitor...

NRA sux...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19

A
That was Yeti's bullshit lie and they dug deeper into stupid by essentially calling out Marion Hammer. She then posted the exact and full communications which made Yeti look very bad.

They were trading advertising for product to use to the benefit of both and Yeti unilaterally dropped NRA while making their access equal to everyone- usually referred to as full retail.

Yeti crapped in the nest.
The plot thickens....
Posted By: ironbender Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19

Cool story.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

A
That was Yeti's bullshit lie and they dug deeper into stupid by essentially calling out Marion Hammer. She then posted the exact and full communications which made Yeti look very bad.

They were trading advertising for product to use to the benefit of both and Yeti unilaterally dropped NRA while making their access equal to everyone- usually referred to as full retail.

Yeti crapped in the nest.

Sitka Deer gets it. Yeti screwed the pooch and bailed on the NRA in the aftermath of a school shooting because the NRA refused to call for stricter gun laws. It took Yeti three days to respond to the NRA, and try and come up with a BS cover story. The only thing ghayer than a .270 mounted to a husqvarna chainsaw is a yeti cooler in the back of a Subaru. laugh
Posted By: 700LH Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
We don't own a Yeti Cooler but have some large and small tumblers. They seem no different hot or cold retention than the ones from Walmart
Posted By: slumlord Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Google up

Orca butts

Then

Yeti butts

You'll know then.

Fuggin knockoffs
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
[

Sitka Deer gets it. Yeti screwed the pooch and bailed on the NRA in the aftermath of a school shooting because the NRA refused to call for stricter gun laws. It took Yeti three days to respond to the NRA, and try and come up with a BS cover story. The only thing ghayer than a .270 mounted to a husqvarna chainsaw is a yeti cooler in the back of a Subaru. laugh

[/quote]

That is TFF Norm, kinda hits close to home though... except for the Subaru part
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/21/19
Yeti has developed a very strong following in many different "cultures" in outdoor sports. Many of them are rabid. They do a lot of things quite well.

I have seen pallets of knock-off Yeti stuff in a number of Asian markets. Chinatown in Bangkok has a ton of it. It is a tough game but Yeti was clearly winning for quite a while.
Yeti still skunks,
What you're also seeing is a major problem with hunting. Outfits like Mule Deer Foundation, RMEF Pheasants Walleyes, are all single-species groups and the only "big picture" group besides NRA might be Safari Club. So the Greeens and left wing strategists have been trying to make inroads, unfortunately successfully, using lots of foundation MONEY, to chisel off the Fudds from NRA and the larger gun-rights thing.
Yeti made the same calculation. Not all ourdoors people are gun people, in fact there are more unhunters than hunters. So rather than tick off the non-gun majority of the customer base, they chucked gun rights so they wouldn't be hammered by Bloomberg hate campaigns.
And if you'd asked those guys at the MDF if they cared, I'd bet most of them don't.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Yeti still skunks,
What you're also seeing is a major problem with hunting. Outfits like Mule Deer Foundation, RMEF Pheasants Walleyes, are all single-species groups and the only "big picture" group besides NRA might be Safari Club. So the Greeens and left wing strategists have been trying to make inroads, unfortunately successfully, using lots of foundation MONEY, to chisel off the Fudds from NRA and the larger gun-rights thing.
Yeti made the same calculation. Not all ourdoors people are gun people, in fact there are more unhunters than hunters. So rather than tick off the non-gun majority of the customer base, they chucked gun rights so they wouldn't be hammered by Bloomberg hate campaigns.
And if you'd asked those guys at the MDF if they cared, I'd bet most of them don't.

Very interesting Dave... I didn't know any of this. Thanks
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Fubes, I honestly have no idea about the true political leanings, just wanted me a godddddamn Yeti!

On a serious note the dimensions of the cooler worked out perfectly with the rear rack bar spacing. And I wanted a heavy duty cooler.

I have 2 Rtic soft coolers and both of the zippers went to hell. No more Rtic for me.

ProStaff baby!

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]
Posted By: irfubar Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Sam, I sent you a PM
I just now saw that and replied.

Weird, the blinking envelope didn't start flashing until I'd been logged on for 20 minutes.
Posted By: kingston Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson

So perfect it looks photoshopped.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by kingston

So perfect it looks photoshopped.

whoever photoshopped that mud on the ATV is an artiste!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
I have a big Yeti I filled with ice for ML deer season. The season lasts 9 days. I will have all the ice we need for the season. It was a gift. I didn't buy it. But after owning it and using it compared to or brands I would buy it. Yeti is good gear.
That was a really nice day.

About a month ago.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
[/b]

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that “[YETI has] declined to continue helping America’s young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities.” Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. [b]Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.”

Yeti is so unwavering in their commitment to the Second Amendment, they immediately put up 30.06 and 30.07 signs on their flagship store in Austin after they ditched the Friends of the NRA. Those signs prohibit concealed and open carry in their store. The signs did come down eventually after a logical person explained to them that Yeti was cutting it's own throat as their business was built on the backs of gun owners. And while you are quoting Yeti, I'd be really interested in you explaining what part of the NRA is supported by Yeti as their Constitution commitment boat has been sunk.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Chisos
[/b]

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that “[YETI has] declined to continue helping America’s young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities.” Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. [b]Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.”

Yeti is so unwavering in their commitment to the Second Amendment, they immediately put up 30.06 and 30.07 signs on their flagship store in Austin after they ditched the Friends of the NRA. Those signs prohibit concealed and open carry in their store. The signs did come down eventually after a logical person explained to them that Yeti was cutting it's own throat as their business was built on the backs of gun owners. And while you are quoting Yeti, I'd be really interested in you explaining what part of the NRA is supported by Yeti as their Constitution commitment boat has been sunk.

Thats one way to spew it... or it could have been for liability purposes due to bar on premise which served alcohol, insurance rates, and all that other jazz that businesses need to weigh...

Or you could say they hate your 2nd rights...
Posted By: tzone Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have the R-tic soft side and I'm very happy with it for half the price.

I'm good with a plastic walmart bag filled with ice from the home beer fridge/freezer. laugh

$.60
Posted By: tzone Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by jaguartx

cry grin grin
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by 700LH
We don't own a Yeti Cooler but have some large and small tumblers. They seem no different hot or cold retention than the ones from Walmart

Same cups out of the same factory. Yeti sued Walmart and lost, if I recall correctly.

I have 2 Lifetime 55 qt for 1/4 the cost of Yeti. I did see a youtube video where Lifetime beat Yeti. As near as I can tell, $90 goes toward the cooler and the other $350 buys the Yeti label.
Fubes, I honestly have no idea about the true political leanings, just wanted me a godddddamn Yeti!

On a serious note the dimensions of the cooler worked out perfectly with the rear rack bar spacing. And I wanted a heavy duty cooler.

I have 2 Rtic soft coolers and both of the zippers went to hell. No more Rtic for me.

ProStaff baby!

Beautiful country Sam. But who the hell cut down all of your trees?
Posted By: Raeford Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

ProStaff baby!

Beautiful country Sam. But who the hell cut down all of your trees?

Somebody with a Stihl.....DUH!
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Yeti cooler controversy - 10/24/19
Damn, we need an optics forum--- for coolers!
© 24hourcampfire