Home
Posted By: wabigoon Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
A short half inch of rain overnight, and this morning. It looks like Wednesday at the soonest before the combine can run again.

How's your weather?
Posted By: Gus Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
showers moving in tonight from alabama, crossing the river soon.

my 24 hour site is on and off. something about the cloud.

it might be weather related. it says try back in a few.
Posted By: Gus Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
wabi, some people here abouts are complaining we have too much.

about an equal amount are complaining we don't have enough.

most folks in the middle just scratch their head and wonder what?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
Over an inch of rain the last two days.

Soybean harvest shut down completely around here. Supposed to be some messy rain/snow on Wednesday to shut it down again.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
Had a front move in last night.

Brought lots of wind today and somewhat cooler temps.

No rain.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
Sugar cane is the main crop here. It can be harvested even when it rains, but it is hard on equipment, fields, and headlands. They did need some rain for the plant cane.

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Gus
wabi, some people here abouts are complaining we have too much.

about an equal amount are complaining we don't have enough.

most folks in the middle just scratch their head and wonder what?

Around here, it is always either one or the other. I have always sworn that if I ever hit the lottery (even if I never buy a ticket), I will erect statues at each of the three entrances to town. They will be modeled after a particular individual here in town who fits the role perfectly. They will have a button to push that will play a recording (not unlike the old Happy Chef statues) that will alternate between "We sure could use some rain" and "We sure don't need any more rain."
Posted By: EdM Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
Beautiful weather today and, it appears, for the week, finally... Wrenched on my car with my visiting son. More tomorrow then a range day on Wednesday. Dear wife is golfing her tail off.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/21/19
Tried the safflower yesterday.

Still a little wet. 8.9.

Try tomorrow afternoon.

Wed and Thursday chance of showers.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Supposed to rain pretty good tomorrow. Then chance of rain everyother day or so. Weathers been nice lately
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
It's still raining, it might be days before the beans are fit.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Raining steady all week and mid 50’s. It’s definitely fall in the PNW. I noticed that last week before this system set upon us the local hay farmers got in one last cut and bail in. I think, at least locally speaking, the hay farmers had a good year as there’s round bales everywhere including in the bed of half the trucks I get behind, the other half are carrying logs 😁

Our summer was temperate compared to the last 10 years or so. I don’t think that I can recall seeing our local hay fields irrigated once this year. We had a much wetter and greener summer than anytime in recent memories. I was afraid we’d get a long dry Indian summer which would likely mean that all that “fuel” that grew big would result in a lot of forest fires but thankfully our forest fires weren’t nearly as bad as they’ve been in the past.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Sugar cane is the main crop here. It can be harvested even when it rains, but it is hard on equipment, fields, and headlands. They did need some rain for the plant cane.

Filed this in my "Stuff I Never See" folder.

It'll be warm and sunny all week here.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A short half inch of rain overnight, and this morning. It looks like Wednesday at the soonest before the combine can run again.

How's your weather?

We have had 1 1/2 " of rain just north of Des Moines in the last 5 days. It's only running off or standing in the low places. Nothing is soaking in anymore.

kwg
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
3"-30"+ in our bean fields locally. Silage choppers stuck everywhere. It's a mess.

On a lighter note, Bristoe should have had the crew from the video come take care of his cane issues. smile
Posted By: roundoak Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
.03 in. today, winds dried things out though. Wanted to bow hunt but too windy Showers predicted next two days do some bow hunting, maybe back in the combine Thursday.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Not to be downbeat about it, the wet weather can not be drying the corn down much.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Winter is setting in here with cold and snow. Trees have turned and grass is brown. Most plants are done for. Too cold at night. More snow for Wednesday this week.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Nice day here, got about 65-70 acres baled up and only 10 acres left.

Preg testing heifers tomorrow then we need to get the fricken corn chopped!
Posted By: LJBass Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
All the corn has been harvested here. Beans still had green leaves until the frost, now they are falling off, but I haven't seen any harvested yet. They were late planting beans this year. We got 1.7 to 2.4 inches here last night depending on what wave hit you. Lots of wind. Got pretty chilled today with the wind. Might have to be a pansy and break out some good flannel or a jacket this week.

I like that cane harvester video. 1st for me. Also found out what the green bean harvesters look like this week.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
JC
How many hours in the field to harvest 300 acres of Safflower?
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Nice day here, got about 65-70 acres baled up and only 10 acres left.

Preg testing heifers tomorrow then we need to get the fricken corn chopped!

When is the last time you chopped corn in late October? Crazy year this year.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
The river bottom is still pretty soft in places.

I just finished 2nd cutting alf last Saturday. Now that is LATE!

At least it dries fast once it's been frosted on the stem.

I was worried we wouldn't have any second cutting to bale but the weather cleared up just long enough.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
We got the third cutting in, between storms. Drove by one of the seed potato cellars tonight at 8, and they are still stuffing them in. Can’t remember any of them working seed spuds into October before.

Snow Saturday, more on Tuesday. I’ve got to get the greenhouse up over three of my tanks, or I’m going to have perch-cicles ........
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19

How's your weather?

Sounded like a neighbor was combining beans Sunday, did'n go look. Rained Sunday night and I know he didn't get done. Had not quite 2 inches since and I have standing water in the yard low spots. So it will be a while. Weather is all backwards, supposed to be a dry time of year. But guys south have had flooded fields this summer so it could be worse.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
I don't really expect to get back int he field until Thursday.

It's been a wet year.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Had a front come through yesterday, and the forecast was for storms and heavy rain. Neither materialized here, as we only got a trace of rain.......which was good or bad, depending upon one's point of view. We still need some moisture to make up for a hot and dry September, but I wanted to reseed some pastures and drill some wheat in stalk ground to cut for hay, and a lot of rain would have knocked that out for a while.

Didn't rain enough to stop me, so that's what I'll start on this morning as soon as I go and pick up the seed. Each year it's getting harder for me to crawl up and down the drill and put seed in. I don't have enough to do to justify an auger wagon, and the big totes would be cheaper than bags, but I haven't figured out how to handle them. Anyway, the exercise will do me good.........as long as I don't fall off.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19

How's your weather?

Got nearly 2" yesterday.... It just will not STOP raining... We got done chopping corn last Friday afternoon at 1:30 pm.. ALL DAY we had to pull wagons out of the field with a puller tractor.. Only about 4-5 loads got out on their own.. One wagon was in such slime that the puller couldn't move it either.. I tried with the chopper and got bupkis.

So we put the puller in the middle, with me in the chopper in lead and, now with THREE machines, we finally got that load outta the field.. Two loads I filled I had the tractor 2' from the back of the chopper on a short chain so I could literally help pull him around the field to get filled...

This particular field is always the last one to be chopped every year - and every year it's just a swamp over the northern half.. I have a new nickname for this piece of land; "The Waterpark"...
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by Mike70560

Weird thing about that is it appears that you have a "bottom" to the soil. So long as you can grind down through the mud you hit solid bottom underneath.

If you started grinding down here like that, you'd be 4 feet down or further before bottoming out. There are places around all the edges of the sloughs and drainages that you never bottom out. It's fun with a big QuadTrac to see just how deep you can dig!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Been cool and windy here. Supposed to snow Thursday.
3d cutting is in the barn, though.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Rained Out on Beans. - 10/22/19
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Weird thing about that is it appears that you have a "bottom" to the soil. So long as you can grind down through the mud you hit solid bottom underneath.

If you started grinding down here like that, you'd be 4 feet down or further before bottoming out. There are places around all the edges of the sloughs and drainages that you never bottom out. It's fun with a big QuadTrac to see just how deep you can dig!

I filmed that video from my home property. It is a little more stable there and it seems like they cut cane in that field when it rains every year.There are places around here with what appears to be no bottom. Last year was an extremely wet grinding (grinding is a generic term used here for the sugar cane harvest). A lot of farmers left cane standing in the field, it was just to wet and muddy to cut it and haul it out. That is the first time remember that happening.

This is an older cutter. They would cut the cane and then go back and load it in wagons. Even older cutters were single row. They are far more efficient now.

© 24hourcampfire