Home
NEWS - HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO DECLINING BIKE SALES

The reasons for the slump in sales at H D are not President Donald Trump's fault.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation-X is only buying a few and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use two hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

Virus-free. www.avg.com
LOL
They can cruise the open road from their Peloton and not even leave the living room.
Only older people can afford one
Originally Posted by hanco

yes Harleys and other bikes cost to much for what you get.
Originally Posted by pete53

A vibrator that leaks oil?

This. Same with classic muscle cars. Go to a small town Cruise event or car show, and the average age is probably 70.
Originally Posted by auk1124

This. Same with classic muscle cars. Go to a small town Cruise event or car show, and the average age is probably 70.

Yeah. The people who have worked for a living all their lives who now reward themselves a little.

Jealousy is a very powerful human emotion.. especially amongst those who WANT, but don't WANT to work for it.

Laughing.
There's also been no research and development work that focuses on self driving motorcycles so millennials feel there's no future for that mode of transportation.
Originally Posted by tzone

I must have a weird one. Doesn't leak a drop.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Yeah. The people who have worked for a living all their lives who now reward themselves a little.

Jealousy is a very powerful human emotion.. especially amongst those who WANT, but don't WANT to work for it.

Laughing.[/quotobody said anything about being jealous.
[quote=hanco]Only older people can afford one

Laughing.

No one said anything about being jealous. Just stating an observation. I ain't that young myself.

But you gotta admit, it does look kinda odd seeing a bunch of geriatrics rumbling through town in their Corvettes...

Corvette needs to design a model with walker storage in the trunk...
Millennials and Gen-X try to emulate last years gangstas not wild west heroes or wilder free spirit types on big motorcycles
Sonny Barger still rides and he's like 150.
All true.. smile
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by tzone

I must have a weird one. Doesn't leak a drop.

Yeah but you didn't take the bait. smile
I’m a Gen-Xer. We had a Kawasaki 175 on the farm. Was a lot of fun. Wouldn’t mind having a motorcycle, but there are a lot demands on my income and other ways I’d rather spend it. Plus, half the time I’m too scatterbrained thinking about other things to trust myself on one.

Specific to Harleys, I’ve never seen the attraction to the primary mode of transport for criminal gangs known as drug traffickers, pimps, rapists, and murderers. Plus I can’t stand the sound of the things.
I'm sure those are just a few of the reasons.

Like a Vette.
5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

Winner

The truest video I've ever seen
[Linked Image from pics.me.me]
We have a winner !! ........... LMAO. Although there may be less motorcycles being sold because of less motorcyclists...... Due to too many of them dying too young by automobile drivers, who are texting, talking on the phone, and generally inattentive. Harley is losing their customer base.
More like POS drug dealers 1969.
Originally Posted by k20350

The truest video I've ever seen

LOL no kidding
One thing for certain...…….the more Harley junk (tee shirt, bandana, jackets, etc) I see a person wearing the less chance they actually own and ride a bike. I am 66 and been riding since the early 70's. Just never understood the appeal and rationale for paying more for a bike just so I could end up with something heavier, slower, and doesnt handle as good.
BIL's father died when he was 9 years old. His Dad had a rarish model Harley that he was in a bunch of pictures with and people in the family talked about him loving the bike. So BIl works his ass off, goes to college. gets ahead in life and decides to hunt down the same exact model his father had. Finally finds one goes and it gets it. Its a well cared for super low mile original. That thing broke down constantly. Now my BIL does motorcycle work on the side hes pretty damn good at it. gets more word of mouth work than her really wants. He got so tired of fixing that thing constantly he traded it off and went and bought a brand new Yamaha FZ-09 and never looked back.The money he makes from fixing Harleys has paid for his Yamaha and then some.
Why buy a real motorcycle when you can play a motorcycle game on your play station? No insurance to buy and no gasoline or any risk of getting hurt. We live in a sick country.

kwg
T F F !!!
We were in Deadwood the week before the rally, for every 20 to 30 year old on a scooter, you would see 300 old farts.
Boo's still buyin' 'em.

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
One thing for certain...…….the more Harley junk (tee shirt, bandana, jackets, etc) I see a person wearing the less chance they actually own and ride a bike. I am 66 and been riding since the early 70's. Just never understood the appeal and rationale for paying more for a bike just so I could end up with something heavier, slower, and doesnt handle as good.

my biker - gun nut friend and myself agree too .mu biker friend wears a John Deer hat with a old combine t-shirt ,i told him we need to get some t-shirts made up that say > i rode a Harley when it met something in the old days , with the middle finger up.

Laughing.

Want to borrow my screwdriver? Your stuff needs to he tightened... you clearly have some loose.. where the hell did that line come from lmao!
Keep your screwdriver and stick it.
Anybody else think UBER is overlooking a lucrative market?
[Linked Image from uploads.disquscdn.com]
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

The woman likes all the Harley stuff, and to be honest, I'm kinda self conscious wearing it. No matter, she makes it fun. Mine is not new, so I cant speak to them. It's a 2009, and in very good shape. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the quality. Been riding since 1972, mostly fast sport bikes, with the most miles on a BMW R100RS. Was a yamaha/honda mechanic for a few years too. Harleys are odd. Strange ways to do stuff, but it works. Had an 05 Sportster for a while, too. Entertaining, trouble free, very low maintenance. I dont need to drag a knee and go 150 anymore. The Lowrider is like an antique, that works good. To each his own, though. My experience with Harley's has been good. I'm old and slow now. So is my bike. That's ok.
A young guy could get a lot more pussy on a Harley than anything else when I was young. I don’t know if that’s true now??
A young guy could get a lot more pussy on a Harley than anything else when I was young. I don’t know if that’s true now??

It's still true. grin
Originally Posted by jeffbird
[Linked Image from pics.me.me]

They're winning.
The young want fast and furious jap cars and rice rockets.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Mainly because that's what puts them in the game on the budget they can afford.
Originally Posted by Slope77
I’m a Gen-Xer.

Specific to Harleys, I’ve never seen the attraction to the primary mode of transport for criminal gangs known as drug traffickers, pimps, rapists, and murderers. Plus I can’t stand the sound of the things.

Well then I would suggest that you never ride the public transit system.... dumb phhuck...
[quote][/quote]

I'm old and in late sixties and early seventies, I got as much riding a 10 speed as I did my knucklehead! Usually cleaner too!😁
All the old fart harley riders crashed too often while not wearing a helmet. Who knew that a bandanna and a ponytail didn't make you bulletproof? The dirt and sportbike riders are still kicking azz and playing in the mountains....albeit a little slower. The 'challenged' ride scooters and mowers.

mike r
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

Laughing.

Want to borrow my screwdriver? Your stuff needs to he tightened... you clearly have some loose.. where the hell did that line come from lmao!

Nah, dude. The donkey's schitting on your foot and you don't even know it.
Harley riders can afford to eat steak, too. Dirt bikers have to settle for hot dogs, veggie burgers, or maybe tofu!
Jerry
This has got to be the oldest of all the old people threads. Why is it someone else's fault that they dont like what you like?
Harley-Davidson Co. which specialized in personal transportation for 'big snarling he-men' -
in 1982 went all woman like crying to the gov. for protectionist tariffs against the Japanese competition...

...they filed a Section 201, claiming victim status that such competition was the cause of their financial problems.
the funny part was the Jap bike companies offered HD millions as well as their technology to improve HD products
to help prop up their struggling business model.

prior 1982, HD filed suit against the Jap companies, but the US commerce Dept. didn't see validity in HDs case.
come 2018 , HD says moving production offshore ' is the only sustainable option'
so their products can avoid EU tariffs and remain competitive in Europe.

Trump castigated HD saying he would rather have HD stay in the US and suffer EU tarrifs.

rather hypocritical for a person that has much of his wealth due to his business investments
in far away foreign lands using foreign credit and employing non Americans, ..daughter Ivanka
makes her wealth in the same un-American way.

Haven't priced high end Jap stuff lately, have you? That WAS true in the 70' s through the '90's. Not now. Seems most opinions were formed during that time. I found I didn't have to ride a Harley hard, to enjoy it. Again, like a vintage bike, without all the tinkering , bad handling, oil leaks that go with vintage bikes. My Jap sport bikes had to be around 100mph, to start to feel them. They are good machines, for sure, and fun, too. If I was rich, I'd have another R100RS, a Ducati, and a few jap sport bikes of varying sizes. As long as I'm dreaming, I also want an RZ500....
Originally Posted by Starman
Harley-Davidson Co. which specialized in personal transportation for 'big snarling he-men' -
in 1982 went all woman like crying to the gov. for protectionist tariffs against the Japanese competition...

...they filed a Section 201, claiming victim status that such competition was the cause of their financial problems.
the funny part was the Jap bike companies offered HD millions as well as their technology to improve HD products
to help prop up their struggling business model.

prior 1982, HD filed suit against the Jap companies, but the US commerce Dept. didn't see validity in HDs case.
come 2018 , HD says moving production offshore ' is the only sustainable option'
so their products can avoid EU tariffs and remain competitive in Europe.

Trump castigated HD saying he would rather have HD stay in the US and suffer EU tarrifs.

rather hypocritical for a person that has much of his wealth due to his business investments
in far away foreign lands using foreign credit and employing non Americans, ..daughter Ivanka
makes her wealth in the same un-American way.

Hmmm, a lefty globalist who denigrates a company for going global to remain competitive, due to leftists who drove American manufacturing, offshore.

Plenty of young guys don't want that anymore...

what they want is a fellow young guy... and cool video games or a scooter work better...
Originally Posted by Seafire

Plenty of young guys don't want that anymore...

what they want is a fellow young guy... and cool video games or a scooter work better...

He is talking a time, when men were men, and we knew the goal was indeed pussy, not some skinny jean wearing f~cktard, to circle jerk around a pokemon game !
Originally Posted by 19352012
This has got to be the oldest of all the old people threads. Why is it someone else's fault that they dont like what you like?

Exactly..... everyone who doesn’t like what you do and jump on your bandwagon is somehow a femboy pussay. Heck, enjoy it. Usually low demand means lower prices.
Originally Posted by benchman

Haven't priced high end Jap stuff lately, have you? That WAS true in the 70' s through the '90's. Not now. Seems most opinions were formed during that time. I found I didn't have to ride a Harley hard, to enjoy it. Again, like a vintage bike, without all the tinkering , bad handling, oil leaks that go with vintage bikes. My Jap sport bikes had to be around 100mph, to start to feel them. They are good machines, for sure, and fun, too. If I was rich, I'd have another R100RS, a Ducati, and a few jap sport bikes of varying sizes. As long as I'm dreaming, I also want an RZ500....

Ummmmmm..
OK.....
Keyword in my post= the word "want"..........
Whatever your response means to you in your mind in regards to my post, roll with it!!!!
LOL!!!

that's the nature of some of the members here, nothing like an 80 year old fart who sits around all day sharting his pants, reading old-man romance novels telling you youre stupid for the way you climb a tree and hunt deer.
Originally Posted by slumlord

that's the nature of some of the members here, nothing like an 80 year old fart who sits around all day sharting his pants, reading old-man romance novels telling you youre stupid for the way you climb a tree and hunt deer.

Or all the baby boomers making fun of millennials not realizing it was their [bleep] parenting that blossomed that generation!

Laughing.

Where the f did you get that anyones jealous of anyone for owning a harley on this thread? And if you honestly think “only older people can afford one” you really are dumb ass fug.... lots of youngin’s out here making some serious coin on this here thing you type your repetitive dumbassery posts on... its called the internet, and its making some of us rich....
I get a kick out of the folks that play dress up on Harley’s.
Another example of the wussification of America.
Far as I can tell Harley is marketed to a diminishing demographic. Probably 90% of the guys you see on a Harley are old and fat, and look like they are playing dress up. You think that's appealing to anyone except other old fat guys? Times change, and Harley didn't. Not many industries out there where you can keep doing the same thing and expect to remain successful forever, especially when the competition keeps moving.

Especially if you insist on the newest, most equipped models and every accessory, article of clothing, right down to your G-string, and/or silk pajamas with the factory logo in the right places. And don't forget they do have touch screens now. You also need a camper/toy hauler to go more than 100 miles. No need to carry a tool kit though.
I am hardly a millenial, but my son is. My son grew up riding dirt bikes with me, so he knows how to drive using a clutch and a manual transmission. Most millenials probably dont. Owning a bike is also quite expensive for the young ones (especially insurance). Lastly, for the monies; you can get quite a bit of bike in the Japanese brands for considerably less monies then you might spend obtaining a Harley Davidson. That said, I am approaching my 50's, and ride a triumph.
Reformed big biker fan here. Off my Harley and onto a Honda CT110 for the trails and slow cruse down a county road. 70 degrees is pretty nice walking around your yard, but you learn about windchill real quick on a motorcycle. Saw a guy yesterday on one at 40 degrees, rain and wind and that wasn't a smile, it was a grimace. We never see bikes on the Interstate. Some die hard big biker guy here just got plowed down from behind stopped behind a red light and two other cars all caught on camera. Made the 6:00 news and enough to give a guy pause about any kind of street motorcycle. At least if I do something dumb on my trail bike, it is all on me. Bikers are called organ donors down in Florida because of how people drive down there.
Easy Rider came out 50 years ago. I was just barely old enough to be impressed.

I was so motorcycle that I didn’t own a car until I was 40. I still have owning a Harley on my bucket list, 25 years ago they got stolen too much to work as daily transportation.

With the prices on clean used ones being what they are I’d have to be an idiot to buy new. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Easy Rider came out 50 years ago. I was just barely old enough to be impressed.

I was so motorcycle that I didn’t own a car until I was 40. I still have owning a Harley on my bucket list, 25 years ago they got stolen too much to work as daily transportation.

With the prices on clean used ones being what they are I’d have to be an idiot to buy new. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

People that are complaining about prices are looking at new bikes or over-priced trade ins. There are literally hundreds of very low mileage bikes sitting in garages under covers in every state.

Laughing.

Where the f did you get that anyones jealous of anyone for owning a harley on this thread? And if you honestly think “only older people can afford one” you really are dumb ass fug.... lots of youngin’s out here making some serious coin on this here thing you type your repetitive dumbassery posts on... its called the internet, and its making some of us rich....

You stupid phugk. I never said any of the above. Only you did. You phugking moron.

Laughing.

PS- couldn't care less about you making money whoring on the internet. Totally your business and I don't give a phugk. I doubt anybody else here does, either.

PSS- GFY. In case you didn't get that already.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
All the old fart harley riders crashed too often while not wearing a helmet. Who knew that a bandanna and a ponytail didn't make you bulletproof? The dirt and sportbike riders are still kicking azz and playing in the mountains....albeit a little slower. The 'challenged' ride scooters and mowers.

mike r

I was riding dirt bikes before you were ever born, genius. And every Jap bike under the sun, too..

Absolutely love how these anti-Harley rants come about out of nowhere. LMAO.
Probbly a lot of truth there...
Originally Posted by Slope77

Specific to Harleys, I’ve never seen the attraction to the primary mode of transport for criminal gangs known as drug traffickers, pimps,
rapists, and murderers. .

Got-to remember some of those old wannabe fuggers have the testosterone level of an irradiated chipmunk
and have the money and need to outwardly compensate,
yet they are same type that get off on dreamy Clint Eastwood bad ass hero fantasies.

well, one can either have the fantasy of being a draft dodging easy rider type ant-ihero wandering scumbag
or dream of being Clint in some form , but they can't be both.

© 24hourcampfire