Home
Posted By: GRF Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Dear campfire folks; I am considering buying a revolver (partly to piss off of our gun hating Liberal Prime Minister, partly because we will be moving to where we will be close to an excellent range).

I am looking for input on what would be a reliable quality product, either in .357, .44 mag or .45 LC.

I have not owned a handgun for well over 10 years and have not paid any attention to handguns for good deal longer.

Canadian law requires a barrel of 4.25 inches or longer.

I look forward to your thoughts and input.

Thanks in advance. GRF
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I recommend either a Ruger GP100 l or a Smith & Wesson 686 either with 6" barrels and chambered in 357 magnum, you will also be able to use 38 specials in these revolvers.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I agree with the above and would strongly favor the S&W.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I'm not sure about the barrel length but I handled a Smith N frame 610 at the range the other day that was pretty good. Ruger makes some good ones as well.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by rainshot
I'm not sure about the barrel length but I handled a Smith N frame 610 at the range the other day that was pretty good. Ruger makes some good ones as well.

The 610 is a 10mm. Ammo might be difficult to find in Canada and 610's cost much more than 686's, if you can find one.

I agree a 686 would be a good revolver and ammo is likely plentiful, particularly since it will take both 357 and 38 special.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Just be prepared for sticker shock. Twenty years ago, nobody wanted revolvers because of all the "cool" tupperware autos coming out. Well, in the last few years people came back to their senses and prices have gone through the roof. For some reason the Colt "snake guns" have astronomical prices now, and have driven up prices across the board. You can't go wrong with a S&W, but Rugers are built like tanks and have a good following. If you are rolling in money buy a Colt!
Posted By: tzone Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by dale06
I agree with the above and would strongly favor the S&W.

Me too.
Posted By: dpd Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19

Smith & Wesson 686
Posted By: killerv Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
686 6in, no brainer
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
686 6" wins hands down (unless you can locate a 629 classic deluxe 5"}
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Just out of curiosity, how does Canadian law handle the Taurus Judge revolver with it's shotgun capability? It does come in a 6" barrel.
Having had many revolvers chambered in all the cartridges you mentioned, the only other question I’d ask is if you hand load. If you shoot frequently the 44 Mag can be tiring and the more pleasant 44 Specials may be a bit hard to find and More expensive.

With either of the other two, 38 Specials and typical 45 Colt are mild for enjoyable, frequent shooting, but you can go to 357 Mag or a hot-loaded 45 Colt (Buffalo Bore or Grizzly commercial ammo) easily or hand loads if need more oomph. A hotly loaded 45 Colt is impressive.

I agree that either Ruger or Smith & Wesson come to mind first while Ruger’s in my experience are beefier and built like that proverbial outhouse. I’ve had both with much more Ruger experience than Smith.

One should never say never, but I doubt you could ever shoot a Ruger loose with the bigger cartridges.
Originally Posted by dpd

Smith & Wesson 686

Or Smith 66. I like them a little better. They're lighter. I particularly like the pinned and recessed ones.

19's, 27's, 28's, 65's, 57's.......all nice!

Buy used or you'll get the wart. (lock)
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Just out of curiosity, how does Canadian law handle the Taurus Judge revolver with it's shotgun capability? It does come in a 6" barrel.

I've never had a Judge but I've had great luck with a couple Taurus Raging Bulls. Amazingly accurate revolvers! I know they are hated by the Fire, but I don't care about that. A Taurus Titanium 41 mag is a Grail Gun.
I got a Ruger 357 Security Six in stainless. I put a set of pachmayer grips on it. I'm set.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I wish my 357 had a 5 inch barrel.

4.25 would be better yet.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
A stainless Ruger Bisley in 45 Long Colt in your barrel length choice .It is a great hunting round equalling or exceeding the 44 Mag in power.Loaded with 340 grain LNWM cast bullets it will kill anything in NA.Load with 250 grain SWC and it is a fantastic plinker with light loads.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I think that new Ruger revolvers have 4.25” barrels that would meet your laws requirements. Take a look a Ruger GP100 .357 Match Champion. Very nice revolver right from the box.
Posted By: papat Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. None better.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19

What did you say?
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
357 Mag: S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum

44 Mag: Ruger Redhawk (Stout, definitely more durable than the S&W 29 if you pound heavy 44 Mag loads)
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by Huntz
A stainless Ruger Bisley in 45 Long Colt in your barrel length choice .It is a great hunting round equalling or exceeding the 44 Mag in power.Loaded with 340 grain LNWM cast bullets it will kill anything in NA.Load with 250 grain SWC and it is a fantastic plinker with light loads.

Are Canadians allowed to hunt big/medium game with handguns???

If not, I'd buy a good .357 Mag. and a bunch of .38 Spec. ammo and learn to shoot well.

Just my opinion.

L.W.
Posted By: GRF Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Rock Chuck; sorry I have absolutely no idea how the Taurus Judge falls into Canadian regulations.

George De Vries; I do hand load and have dies for .357 and .44. One of the reasons for choosing a revolver is the ability to load to both extremes. When I owned my last handgun (S&W J-Frame 5' 5 shot .357) I loaded from the 110 Hornady and the lightest powder charge possible to the heaviest charge possible with the 180 grain Hornady.

Thanks for all the input guys!

GRF
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Are Canadians allowed to hunt big/medium game with handguns???

If not, I'd buy a good .357 Mag. and a bunch of .38 Spec. ammo and learn to shoot well.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

Mine too.
Originally Posted by GRF
Rock Chuck; sorry I have absolutely no idea how the Taurus Judge falls into Canadian regulations.

George De Vries; I do hand load and have dies for .357 and .44. One of the reasons for choosing a revolver is the ability to load to both extremes. When I owned my last handgun (S&W J-Frame 5' 5 shot .357) I loaded from the 110 Hornady and the lightest powder charge possible to the heaviest charge possible with the 180 grain Hornady.

Thanks for all the input guys!

GRF

You're on the right track. Let us know what you end up with!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I won't answer the caliber thing because you have not stated uses for it yet.

That said ruger stuff is heavy, solid, stout, bulky. Triggers used to always suck on them too. But if you pounded heavy loads all day, thats what I'd likely want. These days if not for something like bear defense, I know you can't defend yourself against people in CA anymore, then a Blackhawk might be my choice by far.

I much prefer S/W revolvers over ruger though.

Do you reload? That can factor in too.

Me... if only one handgun, I'd get a bigger rather than smaller and run reduced handloads in it most of the time. But again what we can do and use guns for here can be different than there. Example here, we carry 10mm Glocks against 2 and 4 legged. We hunt with them. Take game with them every year. thats a different use than plinking and target shooting or competition.

Best of luck
No offense but your question is like "what is a good vehicle in a sedan, half ton pickup or passenger van".

What is the main intended use - targets, small/medium/large game, making noise and watching drink cans fly? Do you handload or will this be fed factory ammo only? How often and how much do you intend to shoot it - once per month, 200 rounds/week, rarely?

The answers to those will help narrow down an appropriate choice.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
No offense but your question is like "what is a good vehicle in a sedan, half ton pickup or passenger van".

What is the main intended use - targets, small/medium/large game? Do you handload or will this be fed factory ammo only? How often and how much do you intend to shoot it - once per month, 200 rounds/week, rarely?

The answers to those will help narrow down an appropriate choice.

He gave two reasons in his first line. Both good ones. I don't think Canadians can hunt with a handgun.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I got a Ruger 357 Security Six in stainless. I put a set of pachmayer grips on it. I'm set.

I have to agree, I'm set as well. Tough guns to beat, but they were made before the 4.2 restriction came into being. Maybe Canada has taken these into considerations, based on build dates, but I doubt it.

I agree with those that said consider a used gun, especially if you are considering an S&W. Too many changes for my liking. Pick up a clean and good shape S&W mod 66 or 19 or 15, and you have a fine gun. Shoot 38 specials and you will enjoy your shooting more. I also like the 4.2" Ruger SP101, and the Ruger GP 100. Lots of good toys out there to play with.
Okay, so a gun to piss off the prime minister and range work. Check.

For range work I'd recommend a .357 which can also fire .38 Specials, the GP100 or one of the K or L frame Smiths would be the obvious choices. Not sure which revolver would be best to piss off a prime minister. A Glock with 33 round magazine comes to mind but that's not a revolver. Maybe a gold plated barbecue gun with Trump's face engraved on it?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
pissing off a PM isn't a reason that I can quantify, if I did, I'd say AR15 with lots of high cap mags and all kinds of semi handguns... well that won't work...

Moving next to a range I can't quantify either.

I don't know if they can hunt or not. If he reloads. If he will shoot competition. Or just tin cans and paper. If the latter a 22 would be my choice...

But those two comments are not reasons as to real use and able to lead us on...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I would locate a 6" Ruger Security Six if I wanted an all around revolver. They haven't been made in a few years,...but they don't break.

I like S&W revolvers, also,..and many S&W enthusiasts talk down the triggers on the Rugers. But they're really very good triggers.

I have an old 4" Ruger Police Service Six (same as a Security Six except it has fixed sights) I don't know if it's had a trigger job or if the trigger has simply smoothed out over the years,..but it's very smooth.

It's the only Ruger revolver I own and I have no plans to sell it. Handloading it with heavy cast bullets makes it a powerful firearm in a medium sized revolver. It shoots very close to point of aim with 180 grain WFN cast bullets over a maximum charge of WW296.
Lean Wolf; RickyD is correct we can not legally hunt with handguns in Canada.

Rost495 and Jim in Idaho; usage would be restricted to range time, perhaps some old school practical pistol stuff if the new gun club has such a thing. Perhaps see if I can get "restricted range status" for some of the 160 acres I own ENE of Edmonton and use the pistol there as well.

As Canadians our use of pistols is extremely restricted, for example we are restricted to 10 round capacity in all pistols, the 33 round magazine is a "prohibited device".

The Trump image would certainly piss of the PM smile
Posted By: vapodog Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I recommend either a Ruger GP100 l or a Smith & Wesson 686 either with 6" barrels and chambered in 357 magnum, you will also be able to use 38 specials in these revolvers.

I'll add the Vaquero and the Blackhawk to this list as well as the Taurus.....and agree with the .357 pick as the .44 magnum is a lot too much.....very few can handle it.

One can also make some very good grouse/ snake loads with speer's shot capsules in the .357 and shoot .38 specials too.

The .45 colt?.....well.....I think one would be better served with the .44 Magnum and load it down to something above the .44 special levels but we're handloading now and that's not for everyone.
Posted By: EdM Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19

No handgun hunting in Canada. I would look for a Ruger Security Six.
Rost495; I had stated earlier that I reload and have dies for both the .357 and .44.

I have never owned an AR but have shot at least a dozen of them and find no joy in them whatsoever, in fact no semi-auto rifle has been able to hold my attention for long. I tired a few "gas guns"; what we call up here a Swiss Arms Classic Green, SVT-40 and a Jungman and sold them all. No high cap mags allowed here either, rifles 5 rounds max, pistols 10 rounds max, some guys play games with the rules and get 10 round AR pistol mags and use them in the AR rifles.

I have had .22 pistols in the past and found them boring after a short while, enjoyed the 9mm and .38/.357 far more.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I'm solidly in the L frame camp, especially the 7-shots, because they actually have thicker cylinder walls than the six-shots due to offset notches. The Ls were designed to be full-time magnums, unlike the K-frame. Like the Ks, the cylinder is long enough that it both handles longer cartridges and doesn't leave a long section of barrel hanging out at the rear.

Mine is a 620, with the composite barrel like the big boy X-frame. Good DA pull, and a sincere wish trips the SA trigger. Scored it very cheaply, used like new, when my son worked at Gander.

Rugers are also fine, and easy to take apart, but I still like the Smiths the best.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
You might consider the Smith and Wesson Model 69. Stainless, 5" barrel, and can shoot 44 spl or 44 mag. It is built on the L frame, the same as the 686. The ability to step up to 44 mag may be useful if you think carrying it in bear country is part of your plans.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
A lot depends on your personal preference. Also, Canadian law, which I have no idea about. Do you want it for possible bear defense or coyotes, bad guys, etc.? Do you prefer double action or single action only? Is size/weight much of a factor? I have and have had a few revolvers in .22, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, and .44 Mag for different uses made by Ruger, Colt, S&W, Charter Arms, and a few others. I, as a personal choice, prefer a double action. It gives you the option of thumb cocking or just a trigger pull. No option with a single action. Blue steel is fine, but stainless is much more easier to maintain. I have both. With proper shot placement, you can take down a bear with a .357, but I would not recommend it unless there was no other option. Some people hunt bears with a "stick and string", but I would prefer better armament, just sayin'. A .44 Magnum can be loaded with a wide variety of loadings from light to heavy, depending on what your needs/desires are. I see that you are a reloader as well, so you can easily make your own ammo as light or heavy as you desire, which is a great advantage to have. Another possible caliber choice would maybe be .45 Colt or maybe .41 Mag. However, commercial pre-fabricated ammo may be difficult to find and expensive. Ruger makes a fine product, but to me are generally bulky as are S&W N frame M-29s. I just bought a S&W stainless L frame M-69 with a 4.25 inch barrel in .44 Mag. So far, after a couple of range sessions with both .44 Mag and .44 Spl loads, I am very pleased with it. Big enough to handle .44 recoil, but compact enough for ease of carry. Comes with rubber grips that are very comfortable to my hand. To make this pistol less bulky, S&W designed it as a 5 shot. It is just a little bit bigger than my K frame M-19 .357. In fact, most holsters I have seen so far fit just fine for both K and L frame Smiths. Colt also makes a good product, but are overpriced, in my experience and I have a phobia against snakes. They make my skin crawl and the idea of having something named after a snake in my hand just gives me the creeps. JMHO,YMMV.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Take a look at a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, If you don't want to shoot Casull all the time you can run .45 Colt through it as well.
I lean toward the larger calibers in .44 and .45. Standard .45 Colt is pretty easy to shoot, but can be uploaded to magnum levels if you wish. The .44 Magnum can be loaded with .44 Specials for less recoil. The .357 is my least favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I really like the Ruger GP 100 in .44 Special. The Rugers may be built like tanks, but don't have as good a trigger as the S&W's that I have used. I hear good things about the new Colts, but have no experience with them. My Anaconda doesn't have as good a trigger as the S&Ws either, but it was made in the early 90s and I understand the new ones to have good triggers. It all comes down to what you like after trying several.
Originally Posted by GRF
Dear campfire folks; I am considering buying a revolver (partly to piss off of our gun hating Liberal Prime Minister, partly because we will be moving to where we will be close to an excellent range).

I am looking for input on what would be a reliable quality product, either in .357, .44 mag or .45 LC.

I have not owned a handgun for well over 10 years and have not paid any attention to handguns for good deal longer.

Thanks in advance. GRF

Get a used Smith & Wesson K-Frame made before 1982 that's in good mechanical condition.
Posted By: sse Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
686 +
These came in six inch barrel, too.

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I've never had a Judge but I've had great luck with a couple Taurus Raging Bulls. Amazingly accurate revolvers! I know they are hated by the Fire, but I don't care about that. A Taurus Titanium 41 mag is a Grail Gun.

I have more than a little experience with Taurus Titaniums and love them. My latest is 44spl and is my bear carry gun these days. Plenty of recoil, but they are so much easier to carry.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by nighthawk

What did you say?

Yeah. My GP100 is a bit of a heavy club with a 6 inch barrel.

Wish it was a 4.

My 629 is a 5 inch. I would not want it longer.
Posted By: johnw Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Move South?

Buy what you want...

Originally Posted by papat
Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. None better.

Hard to beat. Love the 5.5” barreled version.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
For just making holes at the range a .38 Special with wad cutters out of one of the above mentioned .357 heavier frame S&W's. My kid wanted my 629 Classic 6" .44 Magnum more than I did, so he has that now, but for hunting a .44 beats a .357 and shooting .44 Specials through a .44 Magnum N frame is very tolerable. My .357 Magnum M66 didn't stay with me very long after I found that stainless 629 Classic. I'd be shopping the used market for a pre-lock S&W model.
Posted By: skeen Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Originally Posted by bugs4
686 6" wins hands down (unless you can locate a 629 classic deluxe 5"}

Or a 686 Plus Talo 5" barrel, which is a good compromise between the 4.125" and 6".

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...ch-talo-exclusive-with-custom-wood-grips
Posted By: hookeye Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Pre lock Smith 686 in 6".
They be a bit pricey these days.

If going 44 mag, 629 reg in 6" -3 or older.
But dont run hot stuff over 240 gr.
If wanting to shoot heavier get a 5.5" classic 629.
Pre lawyer lock of course.

Good range toys, and hunters.
Posted By: BenMichel Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
I have no trouble running 270 but I like the 180 and the 240
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/25/19
Are vintage handguns available in Canada? Assuming so, I'd get a pinned barrel Smith and Wesson of whatever model you choose if you fancy a double action. If you're a single action guy, I'd go with the classic 1873 Colt.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/26/19
I'll sell you a very nice Ruger Flattop Blackhawk 44 Special. Very nice to shoot with cowboy loads. Can be loaded to near 44 magnum power, but why.

4.2" S&W 686 is very nice.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/26/19
The 686 is a very nice revolver. But it is a larger frame size than some can hold. My hands are a tad on the smallish side. A J-Frame is too small and a K-Frame is too big. So getting the correct grip on either one is critical for me.

The best I have found is a S&W Model 60 .357 with an oversized grip. And I shoot 38's in it for range time fun.

If yoiu want some beauty and extra pazazz, go with a Performance Center model in the Smiths. Classy and sweet.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/26/19
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Are vintage handguns available in Canada? Assuming so, I'd get a pinned barrel Smith and Wesson of whatever model you choose if you fancy a double action. If you're a single action guy, I'd go with the classic 1873 Colt.

a Model 66 could work well
Posted By: colvin Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/26/19
You say you get bored with smaller calibers , as do I . Well I like my rugers, as I load my revolver rounds hot. And they will take what ever you throw at them for years and years. A 180 grain 357 top tier load will definitly get some attention. That crack of a hot 357 is addicting. But having said that, I love love love my big old SRH 44 with a 9.5 inch barrel. ( I hunt with mine ) the accuracy I get with that revolver at 100-150 yards gets the rifle shooter guys attention.
In the end you need to handle ( if possible shoot the guns ) and decide what feels best to you. Just remember it’s very very hard to shoot a ruger loose.
Also the smith guys say the their guns triggers are better, yep they are. But for a few dollars and a hour of time you can dissemble a GP or SRH easily and install some lighter trigger and hammer springs and shims for a awesome trigger.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/27/19
686's had a recall early on. The firing pin hole was oversize and occasionally the primer would flow back into the firing pin hole and lock the action up.

Other than that they're decent .357 revolvers. But I'd take a nice old Ruger Security Six over one.
Get a model 27 Smith and Wesson.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
As for *any* stainless steel S&W "magnum" revolver,...I'll pass on them. I shot a 686 extensively back when they first came out. Magnum S&W .357's are particularly susceptible to gas cutting of the topstrap. The .44 mags don't have any gas cutting problems and the .38's don't because they don't generate enough heat and pressure.

If you're somebody that fires 50 rounds a year, you won't have any problem. But if you handload and burn 3 or 400 rounds a week,...you're going to see a lot of gas cutting on S&W .stainless revolvers. The carbon steel .357 mag S&W's gas cut also. But the stainless S&W revolvers gas cut very badly.

The Security Six .357 revolvers don't seem to gas cut at all,....but extensive shooting of them will burn the forcing cone.

My opinion is,...it's got to do with the diameter of the cylinder's chambers.

The Rugers are cut generously and allow gas to escape out around the circumference of the bullet,...which will eventually burn the forcing cone of the barrel. The S&W's are tight,...which contains the gases from the shot until the bullet leaves the cylinder,...but allows it to escape in a thin, hot, high pressure sheet of hot gas as the bullet leaves the cylinder,..burning the top strap.

It's the big reason I stopped messing with S&W .357's and went to Rugers.

I really like my K-frame .38's, however.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by Bristoe
As for *any* stainless steel S&W "magnum" revolver,...I'll pass on them. I shot a 686 extensively back when they first came out. Magnum S&W .357's are particularly susceptible to gas cutting of the topstrap. The .44 mags don't have any gas cutting problems and the .38's don't because they don't generate enough heat and pressure.

If you're somebody that fires 50 rounds a year, you won't have any problem. But if you handload and burn 3 or 400 rounds a week,...you're going to see a lot of gas cutting on S&W .stainless revolvers. The carbon steel .357 mag S&W's gas cut also. But the stainless S&W revolvers gas cut very badly.

The Security Six .357 revolvers don't seem to gas cut at all,....but extensive shooting of them will burn the forcing cone.

My opinion is,...it's got to do with the diameter of the cylinder's chambers.

The Rugers are cut generously and allow gas to escape out around the circumference of the bullet,...which will eventually burn the forcing cone of the barrel. The S&W's are tight,...which contains the gases from the shot until the bullet leaves the cylinder,...but allows it to escape in a thin, hot, high pressure sheet of hot gas as the bullet leaves the cylinder,..burning the top strap.

It's the big reason I stopped messing with S&W .357's and went to Rugers.

The best defensive revolver ever made was Smith & Wesson Model 12 .38 Special. Finding one in barrel length >4" will be next to impossible, because those were made for only about one year.
Posted By: xarcher Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Take a look at a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, If you don't want to shoot Casull all the time you can run .45 Colt through it as well.

Mr Mag, my RSR 454 Casull gets in the woods a couple times a year to hunt thickets for bear. Problem is i don’t spend much range time with it cause it’s a hammer. Is the 45 Colt round pound less?
Posted By: Slavek Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
PS. The good news is best all around revolver ever made is Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P R8 is still available. The spec sheet is sufficient to tell you why it is the best. Don't worry about MIM parts and lock as these are not relevant when it comes to its performance.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
Go with the 357
Be aware rugers will handle over power 45 colt, but the imports will not
I have a security 6 that goes places i do not need a gun, like picnics. Easy to keep out of sight if both lookers and wife. Too bad you cant use one as a camp/ defense gun
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Same here. Have quite a few. Also have quite a few in .357, but generally have only shot and carried Special in them.

I've had a couple of L-Frames, but have since sold both.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
The M69 in 44mag and the reintroduced M66 357 are both available with the 4.25" barrel, especially because of the Canadian market.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
If buying new I would absolutely check out the new Smith & Wesson Combat Magnum. That frame size sits very sweet in the hand.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
Older Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 45 ACP Cylinder and a two digit prefix SN. My barrel preference would be 4 5/8". 45 ACP is excellent plinking stuff and can be had for a decent price. 45 Colt ammo can be had a version intended for shooting in Colts or real stout loads put together for shooting in Rugers

A Redhawk in 45 Colt would be a second choice. Use half moon clips to run 45 ACP ammo.

45 ACP ammo out of a wheel gun is a very very mild recoiling round. Note, I used very twice to emphasize that fact.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
629 classic 5" is a good all around gun. I prefer my 4" and 6" colt anacondas but they're a little difficult to find.

I didn't know you could own a handgun in canada.

Bb
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
Just can't carry it, right canuks?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Just can't carry it, right canuks?

Right.

No .25s, no.32s, no barrels shorter than 4.25".
Smith and Wesson Governor, if it's legal. 1/2" 410, 45 Colt, 45 ACP.

If getting a 357 Mag., Smith and Wesson 686 is the best made...586 if you want the same gun in blued. Smith model 19 is a little light (or 66 if stainless is desired). Smith models 28, 27 and 627 are all a bit big. Next up in 357 would be a Colt Trooper...older ones are essentially Pythons. Next would be a Ruger either Security Six or GP100.

If big bears may be encountered, Smith and Wesson model 29/629 in 44 Mag. Ruger Redhawk comes in second.

I like and own single actions, but would not recommend one due to their inferiority to a double action.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
A 6" 14 or 15 Smith or a more modern equivalent.

Cheap ammo, cheaper components and you can plus P either if you need to.

If you need a 357, you need a larger caliber, but it sounds like target shooting is the primary function.
A 38 will get most tasks done easily and economically.
Posted By: Walker Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
If you don't need a magnum, nor fast reloads, and since you do handload, I would suggest this Ruger Bisley .44 Spl. with 4.62" barrel.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Help please...revolvers - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by GRF

Thanks in advance. GRF
Less cost/ but good quality = Ruger... Best quality/higher costs = Freedom Arms..
Ruger sells a single action 357 which can also use 9mm. 9mm is cheapest. Ruger sells a double action which can use both 45 ACP and 45 Colt. ACP is a couple pennies more than 9mm. 45 Colt is serious medicine with hot loads.

Ruger also sells revolvers in 327 Federal. Those guns shoot .32 ACP for cheap, .32 S&W match ammo and the hot 327. A GP100 in .327 will be the smoothest shooting double action. Redhawks in 45 are more versatile.

I personally find single actions more fun for plinking and would recommend the 9mm/357 for most people for a range toy.
© 24hourcampfire