Home
Posted By: wabigoon Done With Beans. - 10/27/19
As last, after fighting wet weather, and other things, the last rows about 1 o'clock[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] today.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Done With Beans. - 10/27/19
Richard, glad to hear.

Is that the last of harvest/haying for you guys?

Looks like a few ash trees to the east?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Done With Beans. - 10/27/19
Awesome!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Done With Beans. - 10/27/19
The neighbor cut his beans, too. I can get back to burning off my place.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Glad you got em finally in.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Thanks Bob.

You are sharp Sam, I'm not sure how you had north figured right. I'm sure some ash trees are in the mix. That three acres is another story, My sister was going to build on it, she did not, and well, we are stuck farming around it.

We have all the corn to combine yet.

Loading the first half of fat cattle Monday afternoon late. Then we need to ween calves. look at the rural section for the fence report.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
400 acres of safflower....
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
You gave the time and the sun is behind you so it has to be north. Give or take. Looks like a cold spell and snow headed your way next week
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Liked the photo! Farms are beautiful places.
Last night.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
That's great. Now you won't have to do anything at all until about July.

Right?

grin
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
That's a beautiful parcel of land. Looks like a lot of work.
Thanks Paul, that is a $2600 an acre 80 in 1977. Sky high at the time.
[align:right][/align]Rider, [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: las Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Good for you.

I thought this was a fart thread. smile
Posted By: hanco Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Glad you got it in! I’m sure it’s a relief!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
You folks have my total admiration!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
[align:right][/align]Rider, [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ooohhhh...I'm likin' this bean farmin gig idea.

And all these years I been eating the blamed things instead of growin em.

Live and learn, huh?
Even the "old" combines are a pleasure to operate compared to the dusty hot, or cold of the machines of years back, some with no cab at all.
Things took a turn for the better in the 70s, didn't they?

I remember the first JD 4430 I ever drove. The thing was practically a Cadillac compared to what I drove at the time, which was a '68 Torino GT without a/c or p/s. Only thing my Ford would do better was burn rubber.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
I thought this was going to be about a big pot of great northern beans. I had a large helping day before yesterday.

The third time on the pot yesterday I was contemplating being done with them. But I knew that I was lying to myself.

A large bowl of great northern means will always be worth the price.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by las
Good for you.

I thought this was a fart thread. smile

Haha. I thought he put Leroy on "ignore"
Posted By: LJBass Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Glad you got them in, and good luck with the calves. Been a rough year for cattle.

When I was little, in the early 90's my dad did a lot of custom combining of fescue seed here local. I believe it was an old JD 40 open station, probably a 10 or 12 ft header. I remember it went through gates pretty good as he rarely had to pull a post, so he drove it from place to place. On the occasion it was to far to drive it, he would bolt a tongue on the steer axle and pull it backwards. Had some good memories of riding with him.

Fast forward to 2011 or so. I decided I'ld buy an older combine and plant some wheat, maybe hit some fescue fields if the price was right. I started with a JD 95. Big combine for it's time, pretty sure it was an early 60's model, Damn sure didn't fit through most gates. Owners manual bragged about a heater. Cab had 3 sides, so if you overfilled the grain bin is dumped right down your back. I learned a lot about mechanics trying to get it going. Finally got it going and brushed a dead limb with the corner of the cab. Then it fell down into the engine fan and destroyed the radiator, bled out in seconds... should have shot it like a lame horse. Pissed me off everytime I drove by it and I sold it for scrap.
Posted By: viking Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Now you could do custom combining
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
I got done today also...Dad got a new s550 rotor with a 22 ft hydro flex head..that thing really eats up the beans..better than my old walker machine..
Good thing as our local elevator filled up Saturday and I had to run a semi load clear down to st Joe Mo early this morning to have enough space to hold the last few acres..about 70 miles away...bins are all full too..
Guess I'm headed there in the morn so I have another free truck for the rest of the corn...about 500 acres of corn left and it's pretty good looking corn....
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Thought this was a chili thread.

Oh well, heres to your health Richard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dutch Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Good on you. When I drove home at 7 on Saturday night one of the big seed potato outfits was still stuffing the cellars. It’s going to be 8 degrees tonight. No wonder they were still after it. Spuds don’t freeze well!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Good for you! A LOT of beans still to go here - but water standing in the fields is stopping it..
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Always good to see the last of the crop go in the bin.

Richard, I assume that in your part of the world, beans are harvested first, then corn. Here, it's corn first.
James, most years it's beans first, than corn. Some years farmers get tired walking the floor, and do corn while it's to wet for beans.
Some years it is ulcer stuff waiting on the last of the soybeans.
Posted By: ERK Re: Done With Beans. - 10/28/19
Congratulations! They have been getting some done here in N.D, also. Up here in the hills it’s still ugly. My buddy tried to swath some wheat yesterday and got stuck twice right away. Wheats laying flat on the ground. Maybe this cold weather will make the ground cold enough to go today. Ed k
© 24hourcampfire