Home
Posted By: Bristoe Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
,..as tonight's "chair pistol",....it made me think of this scene from "Band of Brothers" when easy company was taking Carentan.

Fast forward to 4:23 to see a troop bring his government model into play.

If you're going to handle 1911's,....don't be this guy.

,...and above all else,...if you *do* shoot yourself while playing Quick Draw McGraw,....don't put it on youtube,...hail far.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." —Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC
I live mine in 38 Super. Awesome machine.
Posted By: viking Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
On some job sites I see signs that forbid 1911’s , a circled 1911 with a slash through it.😁
In July 2016 I hung a right at the Cafe du Normandie and rode my bicycle up that very hill where those guys first dove into the ditches. It’s paved now.

Sobering to think of how it was 73 years earlier.
Dad's golfing buddy Art was a tunnel rat in Vietnam armed with a 1911.

Good putter too.
Posted By: fester Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19

Christmas time favorite here

Ole Tex is a favorite in these parts
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you're going to handle 1911's,....don't be this guy.

That's bound to smart.
Originally Posted by fester

Which 'fire member is that?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
What kind of 1911 do you have?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Rolling Blunder............
Posted By: hanco Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
1911’s are fun to shoot pigs in a round pen trap.
I have several. I really like them.

Here are a couple I've souped up.

.460 Rowland on top, .45 Super on bottom. These are my "Outdoor" guns.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I need to get another before long..

Only have 4 or 5.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." —Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

that is the truth
Kind of interesting that in 108 years no one has come up with anything better. Some may argue that the 9mms are better but, if so, they are only marginally better. No progress in 108 years, I think we're at the end.

Compare that with the 108 years before 1911. In 1803 we didn't even have peercussion caps or repeating firearms.
Posted By: hanco Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
I would like to have a 38 super, it be a hell of a pistol!!
Originally Posted by hanco

I'm thinking I need a 10mm....

Hogleg deluxe!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Rolling Blunder............

You mean Trolling Blunder?

My .38 Super aka “Pancho”. My go to edc at the ranch below the Nueces strip. Kilt a sow with ot down at Blues place several years ago!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Awaiting any unwelcome guests at a solo trip to Kenedy county one evening for supper!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

My .38 Super aka “Pancho”. My go to edc at the ranch below the Nueces strip. Kilt a sow with ot down at Blues place several years ago!

Awaiting any unwelcome guests at a solo trip to Kenedy county one evening for supper!

PEARL beer?
almost as bad as pbr.
I knew you would say something.

I generally enjoy an Altstadt now. Either their lager or Kolsch.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

PEARL beer?
almost as bad as pbr.

Pearl's better than some...
Posted By: Papag Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
I know this guy personally. He was using a Pro Carry II he bought at our shop. Brought it in a year later asking me to clean it up. I said I wouldn't touch it. Banned from at least one local club. Has a ton of YouTube videos under the name "Tex Grebner Outdoors". Worth a laugh or two.
Originally Posted by viking
On some job sites I see signs that forbid 1911’s , a circled 1911 with a slash through it.😁

laugh
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

PEARL beer?
almost as bad as pbr.

Pearl is the finest beer ever made. I prefer the 68 cal. Pearl Light. It was a sad day when the brewery in San Antone closed down. Long live Fort Worth Pearl though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by jorgeI
What kind of 1911 do you have?

Mine is a bare bones Mil-Spec Springfield Armory. Way back when Bud really owned Bud's gun shop he had a stack of them on the counter as you walked in the door,..selling them for, as I recall, $379.95. I had to have one for that price.

It's basically a clone of a military issue 1911.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Your two-tone Kimber looks just like my Sig 1911 except I bought some pretty burled panels for mine. I had a Kimber Carry and I do miss that thing. The Sig trigger is very light but nowhere near as crisp.
Posted By: DMc Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
I don't know of a better handgun choice..

Posted By: drover Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
The 1911 is the only handgun I can shoot really well. I have owned numerous handguns through the years and was never able to consistently shoot any of the passably no matter how much I practiced, when I bought my 1911 I discovered that I could hit most anything I pointed it at, I have never been without one then.

drover
My Dad was wounded and captured at the Battle of the Bulge and freed after about two months. His child hood friend and Mom's brother Uncle Ed is now 96. I saw him 3 years ago and talk to him often and he is still sharp. He was in the 82nd Airborne and went in about 0230 on D Day. Him and 12 others from his original group of 155 made it home. After his group lost over 100 in three weeks they reinforced them, only to suffer over 100 casualties again.

He was then assigned to the 101st and spent lots of time securing bridges. He liked the BAR. Him and my Dad were 18 when they joined up and they are my hero's and I love Uncle Ed and miss my Dad.

My Uncle Leroy was killed by a Jap sniper in the Philippines when he was 19, I sincerely hope my Uncles buddies killed the ungodly little son of a bitch. My Uncle Lavern served in Italy and my son in laws two granddads served in the Navy and were involved in major combat operations in the Pacific Theater.

Every year starting November 1st my wife and me watch the Band of Brothers series prior to Veterans Day.

I carried a 1911 on duty and also a Browning Hi Power. My department issued Glocks in .40 cal., but me and a few others were "grandfathered" in. If by some unimaginable twist of fate I could only have one gun I would have a 1911.

In 2017 the state of Utah passed a law making the 1911 Govt. Mod. the official state fire arm, how damn cool is that. My state of Alaska's gun is the Pre-64 Winchester, can't beat that with a stick!
Well sadly, I am stuck here in California right now. Last I heard they changed the state gun from the Red Ryder bb gun , to something that just shoots rubber bands now. I am really needing to move.
But I do have a LW Commander
Originally Posted by kenster99
Well sadly, I am stuck here in California right now. Last I heard they changed the state gun from the Red Ryder bb gun , to something that just shoots rubber bands now. I am really needing to move.

LOL...

Ammo's cheap!!!
The 1911 is the only auto I've ever had any respect for. More specifically, the military issue version, not the new production. Seems they are all popular and prices reflect that. Carried one during my second Nam tour and made the longest pistol shot of my life on the Bien Hoa perimeter. One shot, 300 meters and I killed a cement truck. Won a case of beer for that stunt shot. I utilized the TLAR method of drop calculation.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Your two-tone Kimber looks just like my Sig 1911 except I bought some pretty burled panels for mine. I had a Kimber Carry and I do miss that thing. The Sig trigger is very light but nowhere near as crisp.

I don't have any experience with a Sig, but the guys I know who have them, like them.

The trigger on both of these are crisp but not as light as they were, a 28 lb mainspring being part of the upgrade package to control slide velocity. Still usable and less likely to have an AD under stress.
Lotsa cool aftermarket goodies for 1911's...

Posted By: RGK Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/28/19
If it's a 1911, it's gotta be a Colt...

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The 1911 is the only auto I've ever had any respect for. More specifically, the military issue version, not the new production. Seems they are all popular and prices reflect that. Carried one during my second Nam tour and made the longest pistol shot of my life on the Bien Hoa perimeter. One shot, 300 meters and I killed a cement truck. Won a case of beer for that stunt shot. I utilized the TLAR method of drop calculation.

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman
Love the 1911, have two, but as a lefty getting plinked in the forehead with ejected casings is getting old.

Only have 4 or 5.

That's pathetic, Barry. smile

(I've only got 2 right now). smile
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Love the 1911, have two, but as a lefty getting plinked in the forehead with ejected casings is getting old.

That's what you get for being wrong-handed! Seeing a good pistol smith might correct that.

...better than getting trapped in your cleavage..., or so my daughter says...
Originally Posted by DMc

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman

Had one for many years and it was a jewel. About 10 years ago a fella offered me more than it was worth....
'40's vintage, checkered walnut factory new condition...
Originally Posted by DMc

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman

Had one for many years and it was a jewel. About 10 years ago a fella offered me more than it was worth....

I was referring to respect.

You wouldn't have that problem if you were normal........ grin
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc

Dan...
You need a Colt Woodsman

I was referring to respect.

Aw, I respected that one too much to shoot it. Had several other hand cannons back then anyway.
I like a Government model because it's an old school, big bore chunk of steel with an external hammer,......that's designed to last forever. It's definitely a pistol made for a man.

I read an article years ago about how much handguns were valued by soldiers in WW1.A 1911 was gold to the soldiers who were lucky enough to have one,...for fairly obvious reasons. When things got up close and personal in a trench, a long, bolt action rifle was hard to use. The Germans in WW1 would sharpen the edges of their entrenching tools and use them as battle axes when the enemy would come piling in the trenches with them rather than try to use their rifles.

A dependable big bore handgun was a big step up from a battle ax in the trenches. 1909 Colt .45 revolvers as well as the 1917 S&W's and Colts chambered for .45 ACP were very valued implements. Even a lot of single action Colt .45's found their was to the American occupied trenches. But a 1911 was the holy grail of handguns in WW1.

The way I hear it,..if a soldier had one on him when he got either killed of wounded, he got relieved of it by the first Doughboy who came along.

The rifles of that period were good for shooting across no man's land. But when the wolf was at the door, the big bore handguns ruled the day,...and the 1911 was as good as it got for that situation back then.
Here's my only 45. Built by AMU armorer Jack Maple.

Posted By: DMc Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19
I like a Government model because it's an old school, big bore chunk of steel with an external hammer,......that's designed to last forever. It's definitely a pistol made for a man.

I read an article years ago about how much handguns were valued by soldiers in WW1.A 1911 was gold to the soldiers who were lucky enough to have one,...for fairly obvious reasons. When things got up close and personal in a trench, a long, bolt action rifle was hard to use. The Germans in WW1 would sharpen the edges of their entrenching tools and use them as battle axes when the enemy would come piling in the trenches with them rather than try to use their rifles.

A dependable big bore handgun was a big step up from a battle ax in the trenches. 1909 Colt .45 revolvers as well as the 1917 S&W's and Colts chambered for .45 ACP were very valued implements. Even a lot of single action Colt .45's found their was to the American occupied trenches. But a 1911 was the holy grail of handguns in WW1.

The way I hear it,..if a soldier had one on him when he got either killed of wounded, he got relieved of it by the first Doughboy who came along.

The rifles of that period were good for shooting across no man's land. But when the wolf was at the door, the big bore handguns ruled the day,...and the 1911 was as good as it got for that situation back then.

I always heard Lugers were the prize catch. Never in my life have I heard of any single actions being used in WWII, except by Gen Patton.
Originally Posted by DMc

I always heard the Lugers were the prize catch. Never in my life have I heard of any single actions being used in WWII, except by Gen Patton.

WW1

And yes,....the Doughboys in the trenches wanted any handgun they could find.
My Grandfather was in WWI in France. (In the trenches) He was issued a Remington 1897 shotgun with a bayonet and he brought it home. It also had a barrel shroud.

File photo:
Originally Posted by DMc
My Grandfather was in WWI in France. (In the trenches) He was issued a Remington 1897 shotgun with a bayonet and he brought it home. It also had a barrel shroud.

File photo:
That's a Winchester. The model 97 has only ever been manufactured by Winchester and Norinco, and only recently by the latter.
i have a smith tripple lock, made fourth quarter 1915, and sent to the british in the .455eley. later converted to .45colt.
it has the scottish officer's name stamped in the handle. I found him buried in northern france, killed during the battle of the somme.
i have pictures of his grave, of him, and a lot of background material on him
a priced item
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by DMc

File photo:
That's a Winchester. The model 97 has only ever been manufactured by Winchester and Norinco, and only recently by the latter.

norinco looks the same, but its not the same. you can't fire it by holding the trigger back and working the pump.
i just bought a couple boxes of commemorative winchester ammo, some of it 12guage, for WWII. Brass shell casings 00 buck.
came in this cute little box, ammo was made here, the box was made in china.
how ironic, given that ammo was killing chinese at one time.
A friend of mine killed a tiger in Vietnam with a Winchester 97, it took him 3 rounds of No.4 buck. He still loves a 97. He found a riot gun, not the US marked gun, but a police gun without a shroud, and by chance, I was able to get him a shroud. He loves me to death over that.
Originally Posted by DMc

File photo:

I believe you're correct. My mistake.
Posted By: IKE Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19
I currently own three stainless 1911's......a Remington R1, Springfield Armory Mil Spec and a Ruger SR1911.

I rotate shooting them and run a hundred rounds through one or the other each outdoor range session which is at least once and sometimes twice a week......after working up a pet load I don't much care for shooting paper so all my shooting is done at the 25 yd. 10", 8" and 6" steel gongs with my loaded 230gr. FMJ ball ammo.

I own a few revolvers but for some reason I shoot a 1911 considerably better than my revolvers.
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
My “chair pistols” are Sig 1911 45’s or CZ 75 in 40 S&W
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Did Sheriff Woody upgrade?
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19

you may be able to tune your pistol to eject sooner and lower to prevent you getting dinged in the forehead. The lowering of the ejection port and flaring back helps and varying the length of the ejector and even different shapes on the end of the ejector can change the path of ejection pattern.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19
Can't say how much I've cared for a 1911. I caught myself with 12 of them once & sold 8 of them. If I really cared, they wouldn't have been sold. Struggling since then, I've only bought 4 to replace the 8 I sold.
I must not care.
Posted By: EdM Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19
I do the same with a 1911, an N-Frame Smith, a Mauser and M1903 Colts. I Have a 2 1/2" Security Six at the moment. My wife is fine with it. Ed being Ed...
Posted By: RGK Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19
This one is currently a favorite...it wins matches for me on a regular basis. Accurized by Justin McMillan, former AMU armorer.
Bob

Originally Posted by RGK
This one is currently a favorite...it wins matches for me on a regular basis. Accurized by Justin McMillan, former AMU armorer.
Bob

That's a nice Match pistol.

Nice pistola" amigo !
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19

PEARL beer?
almost as bad as pbr.

Pearl is the finest beer ever made. I prefer the 68 cal. Pearl Light. It was a sad day when the brewery in San Antone closed down. Long live Fort Worth Pearl though.

That Pearl brewery in San Antone was just down the street from Ft. Sam. I went there for a couple of unit parties. It was a nice place and I still like Pearl when I can get it. They had a Pearl Gold for a number of years. It was one of my favorites.

kwg
Posted By: 79S Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19
I do the same with my hi-point 380 acp.

Holy crap! You must be related to Andre the Giant! laugh
Originally Posted by kwg020

PEARL beer?
almost as bad as pbr.

That Pearl brewery in San Antone was just down the street from Ft. Sam. I went there for a couple of unit parties. It was a nice place and I still like Pearl when I can get it. They had a Pearl Gold for a number of years. It was one of my favorites.

kwg
They had a big sign in Oklahoma, just before you crossed the Red, "Pearl, from the land of 10 million springs," or whatever, with a waterfall. I remember it before I could drive and it would look dang good after a long drive with no a/c in the olden tymes. So Pearl was my favorite before I was old enough to legally drink it. Later, working in Dallas, I spied one down there too. Don't know how many of them signs they had. Makes me thirsty just thinking about it and the only beer I've got on the place is some Rolling Rock that's probably outdated.
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc

File photo:

I believe you're correct. My mistake.
Make sure it doesn't happen again! lol

Any time you make a mistake around here, there will always be some smartass just faunching at the bit to correct you.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19

Only have 4 or 5.

At last count 54 of the damn things.

I hate 'em.
Originally Posted by Gibby

Only have 4 or 5.

At last count 54 of the damn things.

I hate 'em.
Dude...you win.
Posted By: efw Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 10/29/19
I have a Remington Commander I won in whelenman’s club’s raffle back in ‘14 if I recall correctly. I carry it regularly.

Insane to me the progress that’s been made over the last 30 or so years (in the time I’ve been paying attention) to what you can get for yer money these days. The “custom features” on a $700 1911 today were only available on the best pistols out there not so long ago. We’re living in the good ole days in that sense.

Shot through a very nice steel course last Thursday. Those pistols are genuine pleasures to shoot. My client had a SS Springfield Armory full size that was a honey as well.

Tell ya what... the difference between that 1911 & my S&W Bodyguard .380 which is my EDC (in my pocket now) is like that between a .22 hornet & a .30-06 when it comes to laying down the steel!

As a kid in JH & HS when other guys had pics of Heather Locklear or some slut from 90210 on their wall I had a Colt 1911 Delta Elite 10mm on mine. Still lust after her in my dreams...
Originally Posted by kolofardos

Holy crap! You must be related to Andre the Giant! laugh

Hunts..., tell us the story on that little 1911 replica.
Toy miniature from Goatguns.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...4227850/dinky-deco-gi-1911s#Post14227850
Posted By: fester Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 11/03/19
Originally Posted by kenster99
But I do have a LW Commander

I see your in Hangtown.

I spent many days watching the races and riding there in my younger years.

What a fun place!
Posted By: DMc Re: Sitting here with a 1911,.. - 11/03/19
© 24hourcampfire