Home
Posted By: Marshhawk Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
Hi All,
I am looking for advice on thermal underwear/base layer clothing specifically for sitting on a deer stand in Wisconsin.I have several different
types that are good for hunting while moving.i.e rabbit hunting,deer drives, coyote hunting etc. Just looking for the warmest ones when movement
is at a minimum.
Would merino wool be the best option?
If you have brand names etc.I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you guys.
Bill
Silk.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
i use expedition weight duofold here in PA when it is really cold.
Posted By: natman Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
Filson Merino wool long underwear feels so good when you're wearing it it's got to be immoral. It's also very warm. US military ECWS poly long underwear is very warm. If you REALLY want warm. there's these. But I wouldn't wear those if I had to move around much.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
I have been using underarmor for a long time, but I recently bought some merino wool and I think that is my favorite now. I bought mine from LL Bean, and I bought various weights for different activities. I also got a puffy vest from Patagonia, and that is nice to carry and add when posting. Probably the same weather as you get.
Merino wool.

No contest baby.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
Wool, or Thermax, polypropylene .
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
I've been wearing Filson heavy weight merino wool for a very long time. Some very long, and very cold November and December sits in a tree stand deer hunting, as well as ice fishing. I don't know what could be warmer.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
I also like merino wool for extreme cold.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
I don't know about brands,..but I used to wear those quilted long johns under Carhartt coveralls when I was hunting in cold weather. I believe you could take a dogsled to the north pole with that combination and a good sock hat.
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
Fellow cheesehead here. When I am sitting for long periods of time I don't mind merino for the layer next to my skin, but prefer something fluffier for the next layer, like heavy weight polarfleece. I bought some super heavy weight items from these guys a few years ago and love it.

https://www.sierra.com/mens-base-layers~d~11326/?perPage=96

One important thing is to ventilate when traveling so you don't overheat and sweat. This is doubly true if you are dragging a deer out
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
Woolpower:

https://woolpowerus.com/ullfrotte-original-collection/
Posted By: usull Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/28/19
Warmest is MuskOx Qiviut . 8X warmer than Sheep Wool , much softer , light weight , and waterproof . I have seen sweaters , but don't know if they make Underwear out of it . Price is also out of this world .
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Minus 33 expedition weight merino wool for the win. Great stuff. Only thing better is a layer of silk underneath it. And Darn Tough Wool socks. Worth every penny.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Stanfields...Canadian wool. Wet or dry, active or sedentary, simply the best.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Under Armor
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Goose down. Don't move in it though. UA is the only way to go if you are moving.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Minus 33 expedition weight merino wool for the win. Great stuff. Only thing better is a layer of silk underneath it. And Darn Tough Wool socks. Worth every penny.

I bought some of this last year and it is my new favorite base layer.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Layer wick, warm, wind/water. Down or synthetic puffy for sitting. Merino base for me. Last thing you want is to sit soaked in sweat, water will pull the head right out of you.
Posted By: coltchris Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

Totally agree, including the Darn Tough socks!
Posted By: horse1 Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Clam Outdoors sub-zero High Pile fleece.

Bottom

It's too warm to walk in at all. It's quite a bit warmer than Cabelas expedition weight fleece. Wear something loose over it, dead air space is your friend.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
I have several types and brands and the latest military stuff. I think the absolute warmest I have is mil-surp fleece. It's some heavy schitt for underwear. I also have light and medium weight merino wool from Red Ram and Terramar. Medium-heavy two-layer Duofold with wool-polyester exterior and polypro inner, and baselayers of mostly thin polyester. The polyester stuff is smooth-faced and has little thermal value, but it does keep you dry and works well in a sleeping bag. The Red Ram merino wool baselayers have a surprising amount of thermal value for as thin as they are.

I've tried silks in the past and hate them.
Posted By: kingston Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
What are the details on the latest mil surp stuff?
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
I got it from Midway USA from their mil-surp department. It's black, very soft knapped fleece with nylon wrist and ankle cuffs. Found out early on that it's a bit too much for Aleutian Hell. But since I'm moving up north out of this rain-soaked blowhole in a couple years, it'll come in handy for Interior winters.
Use the lightest pair that fit your pants then add a propane heater for the long term. whistle
Posted By: reivertom Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
I have some thinner Polypropylene/wool blend that work well down to about 25 degrees, but when it's super cold I wear some thick polypropylene suits I got from a Army/Navy store. They aren't military, but they are made by a military contractor. the ones I have are tan with a zipper collar on the shirt. They are real thick so your outer clothes have to have enough room in them. I've never been cold with them on. I usually have to pack them in and put them on when I cool down or I sweat in them..
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Thank you all for the info. I truly appreciate it,

Bill
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Was a time I would later up with wool everything from socks to hat but rarely do anymore...whu? Because I bought a battery operated vest and pants set such as bikers and snowmobiles where. I wear regular cotton underwear under them and cover up with just a hooded jacket and pair of Carhart jeans. I hunt along the Pa.\ NY border and am doing more standing than still hunting.
I have worn this rig in Saskatchewan on late season deer hunts when he high temp for the week was -15
Posted By: tzone Re: Warmest long underwear - 10/29/19
Under Armour Heavy layer.
© 24hourcampfire