Home

Anybody here have or had a Scamp camper trailer?

I'm interested in hearing from those who have had it for a while. Want to know about durability and weather resistance after a number of years of use.

(I know about the Scamp owners forum.)
The army (at least here) rents them to troops. No idea how often tbey turn them over, but that dept (MWR?) might have some info for you.
Posted By: jbuck Re: Anybody got a Scamp camper? - 10/31/19
Tagging in. Been wanting to get a 19 for hunting.
We have a small Scamp that we drag to camp for my twin little sisters to have privacy during the blood and liquor fest that is deer season.

It’s stored in a covered barn 99% of the year so I can’t offer a opinion of any value.
I can remember using the same Scamp doing trips to
Myrtle Beach when I was a teenager. I’m now almost 40.
Posted By: KC Re: Anybody got a Scamp camper? - 10/31/19
I owned a 2011 Casita. Same trailer different name. The biggest one that they make. The best thing about it was that it was small. The worst thing about it was that it was small. I just traded it in on a slightly larger Winnebago, two feet longer with a slide out. Still small enough that I get all the advantages of a small trailer but just big enough that it doesn't feel claustrophobic.

You can expect some maintenance costs every year. I stored it outside and after eight years it was still holding together and eveything was still working.

It's not very good for cold temps. The walls are not insulated. We had a heater installed at the factory. The heater runs on propane but it has a little squirrel cage fan in the heater that will run down the battery in one night. So I used a Buddy Heater to heat it when hunting in the late season. You have to winterize it or else the pipes will break when the water freezes. So I used one gallon water jugs that I stored in the shower. I suppose that it's better than a tent because you don't have to spend as much time setting up.

They are best suited for warm weather.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: EdM Re: Anybody got a Scamp camper? - 10/31/19
I had a pretty good appetizer out of it at Tonto a few years ago...
Posted By: DMc Re: Anybody got a Scamp camper? - 10/31/19
My BIL and I bought a Casita, I'm thinking it was a 13'. We used it for one deer season, then sold it. There really wasn't anything wrong with it other than it's size. It was comfortable to sleep in, and we actually cooked a few meals in it. The following year we got a 17 footer and the year after that we got a 27'. Now that.... was camping in style. It even had a crank up TV antenna. LOL
Posted By: hanco Re: Anybody got a Scamp camper? - 10/31/19
Nope, I have an old piece of junk at the deer lease!
for some reason used ones bring stupid prices around here.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Anybody got a Scamp camper? - 10/31/19
Neighbor started with like a 10 or 12 footer and worked his way up to a baby fifth wheel model. Pulled them all with his Nissan Frontier. He seemed to like them but he said all he used them for was to sleep. I kinda thought about one briefly before I decided I will remain a tent guy.
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Yep, same here.
I think they've become a trendy thing, kind of like Airstreams. They're good campers if you're willing to pay the price.
Originally Posted by KC
I stored it outside and after eight years it was still holding together and eveything was still working.

All right. That's the kind of thing I wanted to know.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yep, same here.

I noticed that by what people were saying in the owners forum.
Originally Posted by woodson
I can remember using the same Scamp doing trips to
Myrtle Beach when I was a teenager. I’m now almost 40.

I'm getting the impression that there are a fair number of Scamps out there with some serious years on them.

I figured I'd get better responses here than in the Scamp owners forum. Guys here really use their gear.
Came within a inch of buying a 12' a couple of years back, totally refurbed interior, problem was he had switched EVERYTHING to electric and our intended use was mostly back country NF camping. It was about 15 years old and was in great shape[exterior]. If it had still been gas.......
I rented a little one from a local place years back to use for the deer season. Coldest deer season that I ever spent in my life. The guy said that the heater was problematic and it wasn't problematic, it was inoperable. He gave me a portable little generator to use with my 1500 watt ceramic heater. Do you know what a 1,000 watt generator does with a 1500 watt heater? Nothing. I could have made an ice sculpture out of my drinking water by Wednesday. Nearly asphyxiated myself with a propane heater and wore my deer hunting stuff 24/7 and had icicles growing from the ceiling. Heck of a memory. Spend the extra and get a way better made Casita if you want a little one. A buddy rebuilt a Scamp for his daughter and it is made cheap, cheap, cheap. Another rebuild Scamp I looked at had the particle board floor rotted out. Thumbs down on a Scamp for anything approaching cold weather off the grid camping.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yep, same here.

Been kind of looking for one the last few years. Way over priced is what I keep finding also. Sticking with the pop up for now.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Spend the extra and get a way better made Casita if you want a little one.

Can you tell me what the critical build differences are?
© 24hourcampfire