Home
Have an opportunity wihere I'll be able to hunt 5000 acress near Senora, TX. Big canyons, long shots. I have decent Nikon 10x42 Monarch binoculars that have served me well in the East Texas woods, but am thinking at those distances and need for detail to see I might want to upgrade. I don't want to lug my spotting scope around.

Thoughts on Nikon Monarch 5 20x56 appreciated. Or thoughts on others for same purse at less than $900.
10x50s will glass 5000 acres
Ask Greg W.
ask slumlord

mike r
What would Sandbilly do?

JK

What really matters is to enjoy! Sounds like a darn fine time.
Anything over 10 power I would need a tripod..
What others have said, 10X will work fine.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What would Sandbilly do?

JK

Probably your sister.
What they said. Including sister.... smile

Or move and glass, move and glass. I've spotted Dall sheep (true- white on green- works better under overcast, actually) at over 3 miles with 10X.

Probably not so good with those camo-bastids... smile
10x42's, as good as your budget will allow; I have Leica's but plenty of good glass for around a grand.

MM
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Ask Greg W.

Good advise......I'm betting he says spotting scope.
Something tells me Greg W will suggest 15x56s, and Meopta Meostars specifically.

I have some, partially from his endorsement of them. They'll be with me come Feb, when I am chasing Aoudad in New Mexico.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Ask Greg W.

Good advise......I'm betting he says spotting scope.

I’m sure

You need a set for out to a hundred.

Then, past that from 100 to 250 you need 8 power,

From 250 To 350 you need 10 power

From 350 to 500 you need 12

After 500 you need 6 different spotting scopes, I don’t have time to go into that tonight,

This [bleep] isn’t easy to figure out, it takes years of experience.

lol.

Huh, JG?

Regularly hunted 5500 acres of Panhandle canyon land for Aoudad, using 10x42 Leupold Pinnacles. Not saying they were great, but 10 power was plenty.

The bigger/more mature aoudad are not as hard to spot as a trophy whitetail’s antlers, and the higher powers won’t add much but increased eye strain..
If I had the coin, Leica Duovid.
Your 10x42s will be just fine...
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What would Sandbilly do?

JK

Find a big track with rounded dews and trail it up.
Your binoculars will be fine - they are what I recommend as the best bang for the buck capable hunting binoculars. The next step up under $1K Meopta Meostars.

I’m using Swarovski 10x42 SLC and wish I took the plunge earlier. This month they picked out an elk cow butt in super thick cover and we took 2 cows out of that group. Would not have spotted them with the Monarchs.
Originally Posted by specneeds
Your binoculars will be fine - they are what I recommend as the best bang for the buck capable hunting binoculars. The next step up under $1K Meopta Meostars.

I’m using Swarovski 10x42 SLC and wish I took the plunge earlier. This month they picked out an elk cow butt in super thick cover and we took 2 cows out of that group. Would not have spotted them with the Monarchs.

The color discrimination and clarity on the 10×42 SLC HD's.. Incredible.
Lug the spotting scope. Nothing else works as well as finding the critter with 8x and then confirming with a spotter.
I have a 10x42 Brunton Echo that I like quite a bit and a Leupold 10x50 Wind River Mesa that is in second place only because it's noticeably heavier and bulkier than the Bruntons. They work just fine for me.
Paul B.
I have some 15x56s also, they work fine when you rest them on a partially rolled down car window or something to stabilize them. Big difference between my 8x and my 15x!
[quote=ingwe]Your 10x42s will be just fine...[/quote

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

It's what I used on my Colorado Bighorn Sheep hunt.
© 24hourcampfire