Home
Hearing lots of shots around this morning.

Opening day of rifle season..

More shots than usual so far.

Not hunting, myself. I may do so later in the middle of the week when things calm down a bit.

What's your opener like?

Post pics if you have 'em! smile
Can't even use our muzzleloaders until the 8th.
Opens here next Saturday. Is a good morning to bow hunt though. 27 degrees, clear and heavy frost. But will wait to see if I harvest an elk first.
I believe Maine opens for residents today. Non-residents have to wait until Monday.
Haven't heard any shots yet around here but probably will before too long. It's been busy at the range this last week at the range with people sighting in everything from TC's to 30-30's. Good to see people get out and shoot before they hunt.
thats early. we got 4 weeks yet. nice morning here to hunt. cold and clear and still. i shoulda took the bow out back. might do it this evening. i need to replace the pressure switch on my well first. hopefully that won't turn into a clusterfuck but my projects usually do.
Youth hunt this weekend here, no shooting so far.
Probably heard 25 or so shots this morning so far.
Our rifle season opened last Saturday and it rained all day. Didn't hear a shot. I did hear someone shooting Sunday afternoon, but I think they were sighting in a rifle.

I was driving back from Shreveport late yesterday and I did see a fellow skinning a deer in his front yard under the street light.

Haven't heard any shooting this morning, either.

I'm like you, Barry, I'll go during the week.
I’m sitting in a pop up blind with my bow in Kansa, nice and quiet. Back home probably sounds like the revolution has started.
Yep...Wife text and said the duck hunters are lighting it up in the marsh. Dogs are going apeshit.
I’ll be in a ground blind in Ks with bow, most of next week. Firearms opens Wed post thanksgiving. Usually, if I go, I hear two shots, mine and my brothers.
I was on the stand early. Sunrise was 7:42. The woods were beautiful but quiet. Despite the food plot, the draw of the pond, and many tracks, I saw nothing. I'll be out in a different stand this afternoon, and back in the main one in the morning.
I heard a couple this am, we didn’t kill anything on our lease!
I might go sit and see if I can get a hog with my new AR setup.

They need thinning..

Especially that big SOB under the feeder... wink

From this morning.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I might go sit and see if I can get a hog with my new AR setup.

They need thinning..

Especially that big SOB under the feeder... wink

Damn Barry! That sob needs killin’
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

He does!

I need to try out that 7.62x39...

125gr Soft Points.

He does!

125gr Soft Points.

Give that fat fugg pig a bitter pill!!!
LOL!!!
Originally Posted by renegade50

LOL!!!

I'll try!

You shot all of Slummy's deer there yet? grin
Got some good bucks this year, but I'm not deer hunting yet.

I'll wait for the does to lure in some "stranger" bucks, then see what chases them around... wink

Hate to shoot the ones I watch all the time.

LOL!!!

I'll try!

You shot all of Slummy's deer there yet? grin

Rifle opens the 23rd this year.
Ml opens 9th.

He does!

125gr Soft Points.

LOL!!!

Looks good!!!

All I saw this AM were does and some smallish bucks.
Not many shots around here this morning.
Hit a nice buck with the F250 this morning. Was a monster right behind it.

Lucky bastard took it on the ham and avoided going under. He bounced up and made off. Looked like he had a pretty good hitch in his giddyup. Hope he heals up.

That was the extent of deer action for me this season.
When did Texas early-up the gun opener? I thought it was always the 2nd Sat. in November.
Go get’em guys.

Good luck to you all. 👍

Not hunting, myself. I may do so later in the middle of the week when things calm down a bit.

What's your opener like?

" I may do so later in the middle of the week when things calm down a bit."

SMART!!
Originally Posted by kid0917
When did Texas early-up the gun opener? I thought it was always the 2nd Sat. in November.

Opens tomorrow. I was hunting pigs.

They used to open the North season the first weekend of Nov. And the South seasons were later. But I think they opened it all, (North and South) from Nov. 2nd thru Jan. 5th this year.

Then There's some late seasons that follow in some areas for does and spikes and such.

Everywhere down this way opened today. (Saturday) For regular rifle season.

What's your opener like?

Had that happen one year in Southeastern SD. Sounded like a war, couldn't figure it out. During the lunch break we saw it was a bunch of non-hunters trying to impress each other at the rifle range. Had us really going WTF? as we weren't seeing deer even in the usual hot spots. laugh

Everywhere down this way opened today. (Saturday) For regular rifle season.

Barry is right. It opens today. I thought it was tomorrow.
Oh well, I’m always a day late and a dollar short. 😬

Oh well, I’m always a day late and a dollar short. 😬

Nah. You prolly wouldn't have shot one today anyway... wink

I see even the deep S. Texas counties open today.

But they go through Jan. 19th.

Lotsa hunting days there.

Lotsa $$$ per day... wink
We're hunting the Northwestern Zone in NC. Alleghany county on the Ashe County line. Muzzle loader season opens 11/9. Son will be in a tri-pod overlooking some outstanding browse/bedding ground and I'll be sitting with my wife in a double ladder watching a hot scrape line in a Y-hollow timbered drainage in a fallow Christmas tree farm. Hot scrapes abound. Shots will be heard.
Our deer season is over - another casualty of NMDGF cutting numbers, and days.
They REALLY screwed us this time! frown frown frown
Opening day here will be next Saturday, and I'm sure the local Mennonites will burn plenty of powder. I used to have some nosey neighbors, and if they heard me shoot, they'd worry themselves crazy trying to figure out what I was shooting at. I used to carry some extra shells, that I'd call my "Combs" shells, as that was their last name. When things were slow, I'd fire off a round, knowing that they would start wondering what I was shooting at.

Usually not a whole lot of gun shots heard around my immediate area on opening weekend. Occasionally I may hear spurts of two or three shots close together but more often just a single.

The year I heard the most shots was back when SKS rifles were selling dirt cheap. I swear, that year it seemed almost like trying to emptying the clip was the goal. Someone hunting real close to where I was must've burned through a whole box or two of ammo on opening weekend.

Whoever it was had to have been one heck of a poor shot, taking wild ridiculously chancy shots, or if hitting any only wounding because if they did hit any deer I never once saw or heard them even attempt to find any they might've hit.

Not many shots this morning.

Guess the deer are wise after yesterday... grin
Just heard one, might have been my son.
© 24hourcampfire