Home
Posted By: simonkenton7 Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
The damn Beagle was outside the window tonight in the NC wilderness, howling like a Banshee for 10 minutes. Normally, she howls like a banshee for just 5 minutes.
I got the .38 and the big flashlight and went out there to see what was what.

There was a poor sick raccoon, a " teen age" raccoon about half-grown. I grabbed up the mutt and took her back inside.
When I went back out, the poor little raccoon hadn't moved an inch. Her left eye looked really sick.

One shot between the eyes and it was Auf Wiedersehen.
I put it in two 13 gallon plastic bags, double-bagged it, and stuck in a safe place on the porch. Tomorrow to the dump with the carcass.
Hope the dog didn't get bit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
Call the county and I bet they test it. Wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
Dont think they can test it after a head shot. wash the blood away so the dog dont get in it just in case.
That is a damn good idea, leesway2. That damn Beagle would go out and roll in that blood in the morning, take a bath in it.
Can't get the hose over there but I will go out and dump a gallon of well water on it, loaded with a quart of Clorox. Thanks for the idea.
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
Shoot it
Posted By: Squidge Re: Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
Most likely distemper.
Had a rabid racoon killed in Wytheville, Virginia about 2 weeks ago.
lapua: "One shot between the eyes" with a .38

Leesway I did get the hose over there, one reason I have a 100 foot hose cost $76.
I gave the bloody mess about 15 gallons of well water that ought to do the trick.

I have a big smoker grill but it ain't smoking tonight, low tonight 30 degrees. I put the corpse in there, and put a 15 pound chunk of white pine on top. That ought to keep the coons and bobcats out until morning.
Then off to the dump with the little guy.

I love raccoons and all of God's creatures I hate to kill one but this was a mercy killing. I would see about getting the little guy tested but, the Smith and Wesson .38 special blew his brains out I think I will just get the double-bagged corpse to the dumpster, Manana.
I usually kill them with a .22 As I live in town, I have to be crafty about it. After killing them, I'll take them to a busy side-road and drop them in the middle, making it look like roadkill. Mine have all been healthy, though,
SW Virginia is in a rabies epidemic, local health dept. says shoot em all, coons, skunks, strays, not worth taking a chance.
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
Gasoline and a match....

hole in the ground
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
Most likely distemper or Parvo than rabies, If the dog hasn't had distemper shots or parvo shots I'd wash the area down with bleach to kill it all.
Posted By: GBOB Re: Sick Raccoon in the Yard - 11/03/19
Two have tested positive for rabies over in Roanoke, Va.
in the last couple of weeks...
© 24hourcampfire