Home
Posted By: lazydrifter Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
I got some cast iron cookware along with a bunch of lead and sinker molds last year. He used the cast iron for melting the lead. One of the items is a large dutch oven with a lid. Just wondering since it has been used for lead if there is a safe way to clean it so it could be used for cooking again.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
I would not risk it. Good cast is not that high priced.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
The things I use for casting are permanently relegated to casting. No idea if any of it could be cleaned properly. I’ll not risk it though.
Posted By: hanco Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
No way, new iron isn’t that expensive.
Posted By: Gus Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I would not risk it. Good cast is not that high priced.

good answer!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
How much time is it worth? If you think it is worth the effort scrub it out good maybe with some Comet cleanser and a wire brush on a drill. Get a lead test kit like in this video and see if you got it all out.
Wipe Out make a lead solvent for gun cleaning, it might be an option. Check out the MSDS sheet and make sure you aren't introducing some other nasty. If it looks like an option use it first followed by the scrubbing and test.
If it still tests positive for lead, sell it to a bullet caster as a melt pot.

Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
Nope. Just get new. Good American-made stuff is available at Walmart and not high-dollar either. As the others have said...
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
Another in the nope pile.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
I've only one brain, one liver, all of me takes enough abuse the way things are. Why take a chance for so little gained.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
And please do not put it in a yard sale for some unsuspecting soul to purchase and feed his kids from.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
that is my new hobby restoring cast iron cookware and it has been fun. but there is no way i would restore a pot that someone used for melting lead that sounds dangerous to you and your families health . use that cast iron pot to plant flowers in instead
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
Depends if in-laws are coming over.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
No way Jose.....

I'm sure it can be done but it ain't worth the risk or trouble IMO
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
If you have to ask, you probably don't have enough cells worth keeping.

hahahaha
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
I buy old cast iron when I find a deal on nice pieces.

I test all of it for lead and have thrown out some high value pieces because of lead contamination.

Not worth it
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
That's what I figured. I'll just keep it for lead.
Nope keep it for lead and I would mark it as such so nobody inadvertently uses it for cooking.
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/07/19
Yeah that's a good idea. I have a couple of dremel grinders. I'll carve lead only into the side of it.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Cast Iron cookware - 11/08/19
A cast iron pan lasts almost a lifetime. We tossed one 10 yrs ago cause it was in our house fire. Ins. payed for it anyway. 15 bucks? I cook with nothing else . My sister works at a hospital and sais Old Timers disease patients have high aluminum count. S.S likely is no good neither.
© 24hourcampfire