Home
Posted By: ltppowell I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
...and Leupold scopes, Toyota trucks, Glock 19's, Mathews bows and Honda ATV's.

If you don't like at least 4 of the 6, something is wrong with you.
Leave out the Toyota's and the Honda's........Nothing wrong with me!
I tried to like Model 700's,....but they just never felt "proper" to me. The stock is configured in such a manner that it feels like the barrel is pointing up when I bring one to my shoulder.

Savage Model 99's feel proper to me and the first group from the first load I ever worked up for one shot 1.25 MOA. (.243,..100 grain Hornady RN over 40 grains of H4350)

I've owned a lot of rifles and shot even more. If anybody has ever come up with a sleeker, more efficient hunting rifle than a Savage 99,..I've not encountered it.
I've used most of those items over the years and they've worked well for me. I have the most faith in Glocks and Toyotas
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I made it, but just barely
smile
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I tried to like Model 700's,....but they just never felt "proper" to me. The stock is configured in such a manner that it feels like the barrel is pointing up when I bring one to my shoulder.

Savage Model 99's feel proper to me and the first group from the first load I ever worked up for one shot 1.25 MOA. (.243,..100 grain Hornady RN over 40 grains of H4350)

I've owned a lot of rifles and shot even more. If anybody has ever come up with a sleeker, more efficient hunting rifle than a Savage 99,..I've not encountered it.

Dang, never thought I'd hear you say that.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Dang, never thought I'd hear you say that.

Don't know why not. I own exactly one Savage 99 and with the exception of an old, clumsy Swiss K31, it's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. But a Swiss K31 is a fairly ungainly rifle to be dragging into the hunting fields.

Maybe every Savage 99 doesn't shoot like mine. But the .243 I own is as accurate as the man shooting it.
That's normal. I've never had an inaccurate Savage lever gun. And that's more than one or two. wink
I
If anybody has ever come up with a sleeker, more efficient hunting rifle than a Savage 99,..I've not encountered it.

I had one.....worked great.....for a while....now there are no more Savage rifles in my house.
What bourbon didn’t make the list ?

Like all but the bow, no opinion of it at all, as I don’t bowhunt

I guess there's something wrong with me....... or you! whistle
I like all those things.... but in each category I have brands I like better...... except the Mathews bow, don't know much about compound bows
Posted By: 700LH Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
Never had any desire to kill things with an arrow except carp, and life is to short for ugly guns, but all of that other stuff is great.
Originally Posted by irfubar
I like all those things.... but in each category I have brands I like better...... except the Mathews bow, don't know much about compound bows
Even the indians were smart enough to shyt can their bows for rifles as soon as they had the chance.
Posted By: efw Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
Never owned a Remington CF, have a couple Leupolds, if I bought a truck it’d be a Toyota, have no interest in ORVs whatsoever, no preference in bows for or against Matthews, and love Glocks one & all.

Where’s that put me; 3.5?

Don't particularly care for Leupold scopes, although they are probably the best, haven't shot a bow in many moons, so they mean nothing to me anymore. So, with that out of the way, Every centerfire bolt action rifle I own, with the exception of a Model 70 Winchester, is either a Remington 700 or 7. I have a Glock 19, and a Honda Rancher 350. I do not own a Toyota truck, but I do like them, if that counts.
I got three out of six. What’s wrong with me?

I am not a bow guy. I do not care for the bowling ball finish on a 700 BDL stock, the 700 also does not offer controlled round feed ala a claw extractor or a lever action, and I prefer blued steel, color case hardening, and walnut to plastic.

On the other side of the coin, anything Honda or Toyota can’t be beat from a reliability standpoint, and Leupold makes by far the best optics in their price range.
Bolt action rifles lets see... Winchester, Ruger, Howa, Husqvarna, Fierce, Savage, BRNO, Browning, Cooey, Lee Enfield, Mauser variants theres a few others I'm sure but for no particular reason never ever a Remington. So I guess I'm out even before the list. ha
You need to put FN Mausers on the list. My deer season starts tomorrow and I will carry either a FN Mauser 25-06 or a Browning FN 30-06.
Or Maybe my 700 Classic 35 Whelen?

As if somethings not wrong with everybody. lol
Weekly Toyota / Honda troll topic to make sure the names Toyota/ Honda keeps getting viewed in the forum.
Posted By: hanco Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
I like 700’s, got 8 or 9, like Toyota’s,but own Dodges now. Got a couple Glocks, prefer PSE and Polaris.
Posted By: aalf Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
3's the best I could muster.......
I like Toyota but parts are spendy IME and I drive a Ford.

I think I like all of those things.

Never had a Glock in my hand though. Probably like them.
I hate the Savage 99 almost as much as I hate the AR-15!
Posted By: Reba Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
Remington 700, the best single shot, bolt action rifle made.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

why?
Posted By: Quak Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19

I like Toyota, I like Glock, big fan of Honda ATVs and if i bow hunted id shoot a Mathews...but I don't.
So I've never owned a Toyota or any kind of ATV.

However I've got Leupolds on many rifles, shoot a Mathews bow. a Glock, and have been shooting 700's since I bought my first one in 1967.

Before that my long range weapon was a Sav 99 in .32-40 and still shoot a .300 Savage plus a couple Winchester 94's.
Both are in the running for ugliest rifle ever made.
Posted By: jbmi Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
Pulled my LH 1980 270 Rem. 700 BDL with a 1980 Leupold VX II 2-7X out of the safe last week after it had been sitting in there for over 7 years.
Grabbed a cheap box of 130gr Rem Core-lok that's also 7 years old.
After I sighted in my 2012 MRC 308, with a 7 year old Leupold VX II_2-7 ( 3 shots 1 1/2" high, less than 1" at 100yd's) I reached for the old 700.
1st shot out of a 7 year old cold barrel, bang, DEAD CENTER bulls eye, second shot , bang, DEAD CENTER kissing the first shot.
3rd shot, about 1/2" high and just a tad left. Another 3 shots less than 1"
Now, which one do I use on opening day ???
A 100 yd shot is very rare in my woods, usually a lot less.
I have loved my Remington 700, but 7 years ago I had MRC make me a sweet LH 308 that's hard not to use.
As far as trucks go, make mine a Ford, and Colts for any handgun.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Oh, I don't know about all that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: jbmi Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19
That's a fine looking 99, beautiful wood, but I bet it ain't factory.
I had a first year 358 99, great shooter, but when someone made me an offer of $1,200, it went home with him.
Posted By: hanco Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19

Are you selling that one?
Posted By: ingwe Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/08/19

A man of obvious experience and discriminating taste....and theres so damn few of us left....
Originally Posted by hanco

I doubt anyone would want to pay what it's worth to me. Point is, they're far from ugly. Some of the most beautiful rifles ever designed and built, and far far ahead of their time. Still accurate even by todays standards too.
So how is Matthews superior to a Hoyt? Asking for a friend....

...........Well let me see here....I don't own a Remy 700. Prefer CRF and 9 lug MK5 Bee actions.....Strike 1......Have Leupy scopes....Ball 1......I am a Mopar guy liking Ram trucks with Hemi engines......Strike 2.......Don't own a Glock 19......Strike 3. ..I'm out.......Don't bow hunt or do any ATV 'n.......There is a lot wrong with me then....lol.....
The Glock 19..... if I could only own "just one handgun"...... ........I'd have to get my son to give it back grin

Rifles? A Mike Brook's Trade Gun would rock cool In a couple of years if'n I still got the ears to do it I'll use my bird survey money for one.

http://www.fowlingguns.com/carolinatradegun.html

I like Tacomas (might buy one next year),

No opinion on ATV's, but Honda anything generally rocks.
Posted By: krp Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/09/19
Ok...

700 & lupey scope
Mathews switchback
had a Toyota fj40 and looking for another
Had a Polaris quad
not a handgun guy but have a Kahr 45

Kent
Originally Posted by hanco

I doubt anyone would want to pay what it's worth to me. Point is, (I think they are) far from ugly. Some of the most beautiful rifles ever designed and built, and far far ahead of their time. Still accurate even by todays standards too.

I took the liberty of rewording a little.

I like their mechanical design and the accuracy of the ones I've seen in action can't be disputed. But the aesthetics would be a matter of opinion, and to be honest I don't think they are all that pretty of a rifle.

I would hunt with one in a heartbeat, though.

Pretty piece of wood but you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.
I killed my 1st deer and elk w/ a 99 but have moved on. I can still walk so I have little interest in ATVs but Honda motorcycles rock. If you carry a Tikka while wearing a Glock and drive your Toyota to the outdoors you are probably one of the enlightened.

mike r
Been a Hoyt guy for 30 years and I have gone to Nightforce in recent years, I'm with you on the rest.
This thread needs a soundtrack.

And i like a decent rem 700 just fine.

Posted By: CCCC Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/09/19
In your view, must be plenty wrong with me. I do not hunt/shoot with bow anymore and don’t know Mathews from Schmathews. Japanese trucks are way down my maybe list and Leupold scopes are not sufficiently dependable or worthy of their cost

I do like Rem 700s quite a bit, but NEVER engage the safety.

I've had several model 700's. Nothing wrong with them. I prefer a Weatherby or a Winchester though. Leupold is my primary scope brand. Never owned a Toyota. GMC, Chevy and Ford. I'll pass on the Glocks. Don't currently shoot a bow. Honda ATV's...probably the best. My old three-wheeler is a Yamaha.
Posted By: hanco Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/09/19
I have a C grade 700 i haven’t hunted with. I’m taking it next weekend. It has a Leupold scope on it.

Love Remingtons.
Except you gotta replace the stock and the trigger!
3 rings of steel... yeah...?
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Love Remingtons.
Except you gotta replace the stock and the trigger!
3 rings of steel... yeah...?

Don't forget tig weld the bolt handle and bush the firing pin hole......

no muss, no fuss, get the main job done, efficiently and economically
GFY!
Originally Posted by CCCC
In your view, must be plenty wrong with me. I do not hunt/shoot with bow anymore and don’t know Mathews from Schmathews. Japanese trucks are way down my maybe list and Leupold scopes are not sufficiently dependable or worthy of their cost

I do like Rem 700s quite a bit, but NEVER engage the safety.

That's ok. You've got some really cool old rigs.
I like Remington 700s, Leupold scopes, Nosler Partitions, any flavor of 338s, and Ford trucks
I
Originally Posted by jbmi
Pulled my LH 1980 270 Rem. 700 BDL with a 1980 Leupold VX II 2-7X out of the safe last week after it had been sitting in there for over 7 years.
Grabbed a cheap box of 130gr Rem Core-lok that's also 7 years old.
After I sighted in my 2012 MRC 308, with a 7 year old Leupold VX II_2-7 ( 3 shots 1 1/2" high, less than 1" at 100yd's) I reached for the old 700.
1st shot out of a 7 year old cold barrel, bang, DEAD CENTER bulls eye, second shot , bang, DEAD CENTER kissing the first shot.
3rd shot, about 1/2" high and just a tad left. Another 3 shots less than 1"
Now, which one do I use on opening day ???
A 100 yd shot is very rare in my woods, usually a lot less.
I have loved my Remington 700, but 7 years ago I had MRC make me a sweet LH 308 that's hard not to use.
As far as trucks go, make mine a Ford, and Colts for any handgun.

I find nothing to argue about in that post. Other than the MRC 308 I could have written it.

Well, Elite bows for me.
Even the indians were smart enough to shyt can their bows for rifles as soon as they had the chance.

True, but in some places if you want to have a decently long season you must bowhunt.

Killing a deer in close with a bow is very satisfying , more so than with a gun for me anyway.
I like remington rifles. But I own a few other brands. Never bow hunted. No glocks. No Jap trucks or motorcycles.
I do have a few Luepold scopes. Hasbeen
700's, JWB, Bulleit, Woman, Cash

Own several 700s along with several Leupold’s. No Toyotas prefer Chevrolet. Sig Sauer or Smith and Wesson. Hoyt bows for me. No atvs but Honda might make the cut if I did.
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
So how is Matthews superior to a Hoyt? Asking for a friend....

It's not. I also like Colt 1911's, Ford diesels, Yamaha ATV's, Savage rifles and Swarovski scopes.

But there is something wrong with you if you don't like the majority of the items in the original post.

Drive a F150, had a long bow back in the early '60s, killed a quail with it. Favorite long rifle is a flintlock.

You guys are strange.
Posted By: okie Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/10/19
1.700's- got lots
2.Reupolds several flavors
3.Teri is the Toyo truck lady
4.No 19's at the moment but a 27 is on the bench in the shop
5. There's a Mathews floating around here ...somewhere
6 Ain't got no Hondas (scuffing toe in the dirt)
I've got a 700, reloaded for it long before it was mine, wish I didn't have it and the BIL was still here, not likely to own a Toyota, do like Leupold, I have 1911's and SIG 220's all in 45, will likely own a Glock right after I buy a 270 which will be 'not in my lifetime', not much interested in bows, I have gone subsonic of late but the projectiles are much shorter, ATVs meh!!!!
We'll....to be honest, there haven't been any surprises as far as people with something wrong with them is concerned.

ltppowell;
Good evening to you Lt. Pat, it's been too long since we've chatted here, nonetheless I trust all is well with you and your fine family.

While I have nothing against Model 700's, I'll now have to admit that there are none currently housed at our rural property. I don't mind anything about them however, especially the ones from say 20 or so years back.

Since I'm thus far a "set and forget" shooter for the most part, by far the vast majority of the scopes on the "serious" rifles are Leupolds, though again they're not new production for the most part.

While discussing the truck topic on another thread, I suggested that the Tacoma has a cult like following up here in the Okanagan, but certainly the Tundra is much less so. Personally it's been years since I've owned a Toyota pickup and I can't really say that I appreciate all the ergonomics of the Tundra's interior - seats are a tad low in particular - but again that's a personal preference. I'm cognizant you've stated trucks, but for the record my daily driver is an '05 Corolla with 235,000 km on it and just this past week I finally had the brakes done for the first time..... oh, and other than that I've put in one serpentine belt and tensioner - I broke it changing the belt, 4 spark plugs and the heater/ac fan motor..... that's it!

As a Canuck who has been able to own "restricted class" firearms for nearly 40 years, I've shot a few Glock pistols, but prefer revolvers in center fire as it's easier to clean up the range afterward and to save the brass as well. .My buddy's who are LEO absolutely seem to prefer them to the Berettas they had previously though. Our provincial Conservation Officers use some sort of Glock in .40 and they must be decent as they're out in some pretty interesting weather conditions.

My buddy and hunting partner is maybe 7" taller than me and so I didn't expect much when I shot his then new Mathews Reezen. Holy cow was I wrong! Even not set up for me, I had to use a different point of aim for his expensive carbon arrows out to 30 yards as I came close to hitting the previous arrow otherwise. Please note I'm not currently a bow hunter, though there are a half dozen bows hanging in the garage as I type.... my time/space continuum hasn't allowed for enough practice time with anything that I'd feel it was right to hunt with one.

Lastly, here in the valley at least there's Honda ATV's and then there's everyone else. I know the local dealer quite well, our eldest actually used to work there and while he's a good guy, the Honda product seems to be very, very trouble free or give minimum issues anyway.

All the best to you and yours this fall sir and good luck on your remaining hunts.

Dwayne
I just had a revelation. BC30cal uses up *all* the politeness on the forum.

That's why everybody else on here is an azzhole.
I knew there had to be a reason. But up 'till now I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I wonder if you are like me and find a Bavarian Stock a natural pointer.
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Could be. I've long wanted to buy one of those CZ .223 bolt rifles built on a mini Mauser action.

They've always looked like they would "fit".

Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that your part of the world had a good Saturday and this finds you well.

Since you're well acquainted with Canucks, you realize that now you've left me no choice but to apologize for that, right? wink grin

Thanks for the kind thought however Bristoe and all the best to you and yours as we head closer to winter.

Dwayne
Dwayne...good hearing your text amigo.
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that your part of the world had a good Saturday and this finds you well.

Since you're well acquainted with Canucks, you realize that now you've left me no choice but to apologize for that, right? wink grin

Thanks for the kind thought however Bristoe and all the best to you and yours as we head closer to winter.

Dwayne

Just pickin' at you because I think you're a good guy.
I always liked the 99s until the firt time I picked up a Sako Finwolf. No other lever comes close. Mine was in 243 and I was the guy w/ one rifle until I destroyed it in a nasty fall.

mike r
I took the FNs out today, tomorrow the 700s go out to play. I have a 700 Classic 35 Whelen and a 700 SPS Big Game 375 H&H both have factory stocks and triggers.

I bet you even have a Yeti cooler....

Lol.
1 out of six, here -Lleupold scopes, GM trucks, don't own a Remington 7 or 700, Yamaha 4 wheeler , Polaris UTV, and don't shoot bows. smile
Posted By: rbell Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/10/19
I prefer the Winchester action, but hunt with a 1981 Remington classic. I can shoot it offhand better than anything else because of the way the stock fits me and the slightly heavier barrel than the featherweight gives it better balance. So far I have managed to escape those chargin deer. I prefer Leopoldo scopes , they seem the best in my price range.
My truck is a gmc, but my beater car with 313000 km on it is a Toyota. In Canada we have a prime minister who is totally against legally owned handguns, but says practically nothings about the illegal ones. We just finished an election where his views became known. I don't know where this puts mr in the four out of 6 game. Some shoul qualify for 1/2 points
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Could be. I've long wanted to buy one of those CZ .223 bolt rifles built on a mini Mauser action.

They've always looked like they would "fit".

The thing about a true Bavarian stock is that it is made so it comes to your eye with irons. A scope has to be mounted very low. A lot of the old military stocks are along those lines. For an example a Swede Mauser tends to come right to the eye. Many of the Bavarian stocks made today don't have as much drop in them, kind of half Bavarian.

You'd think lvmiker would use up enough azzholeness for everybody.

You'd think lvmiker would use up enough azzholeness for everybody.

Oh come on Blackheart, you dispense a fair amount yourself....... wink
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Lol.

I do, but don't like it. It came with the boat. I prefer Pelican coolers, although they are heavy too.
Did someone say YETI coolers?!

Oh and black hided cows, green loader tractors, red F350 and a blue 700 Grizzly. These are a few of my favorite things...

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]
Olson, why are you awake this early, or our just going to bed. lol
Turned into an old man, was snoozin' by 8PM last night!

Hey, you're up as well, going fishing on this beautiful morning?
Nah , I went back to the farm,, 5 hour drive East of Fairview. So I am in central time, but my internal clock is in Mountain time.
Did some shopping out of the “Bakken Discount” zone. Gas is $.30 a gallon cheaper for instance.
Originally Posted by viking
Nah , I went back to the farm,, 5 hour drive East of Fairview. So I am in central time, but my internal clock is in Mountain time.

Still on the old time here.
Posted By: krp Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/10/19
RTIC cooler, cause they had some crazy clearance, it was my shot to justify a roto cooler, it's worked well.

Current stable of rifles... 99 308, 700 30 06, Tikka 708, Marlin 30 30, Stevens 22, TC .50 hawkens.

Can't leave out shotguns... bought a wingmaster 12 new with summer ranching money when in high school around '74, it's been used and abused, still functions great.

Kent
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Lol.

Got a couple of free Yeti's.

Other than that, just the Honda ATV.

I have a bunch of pistolas, but never have owned a Glock.

700's are great rifles. I just don't have one now.

Never owed a Toyota.

Traded my last Leupold to my brother yesterday.

Not that any of the above listed are BAD, just different strokes for different folks.
Posted By: Deans Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/10/19
[quote=Bristoe]I just had a revelation. BC30cal uses up *all* the politeness on the forum.

Perfect example that you can get more flies with sugar than vinegar.

Unfortunately life and people are not always kind, considerate and thoughtful..
Posted By: aalf Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/10/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Did someone say YETI coolers?![Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

BTW, what color is that cooler?
Originally Posted by aalf

BTW, what color is that cooler?

That would be RIVER GREEN.
(not to be confused for SEAFOAM)

It's pretty much my pride and joy.
(have around 40-50 selfies)

RIVER GREEN Pro-Staff edition.
($1 bill if you can spot the other YETI product)
(such badass gear...)

Posted By: SLM Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/10/19
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I owe you a dollar partner......
His dad is sitting in there saying.....gawd.....every time he takes a piss or closes a gate he has to get that gawddang camera out.........
laughing!

He was actually in there doing some quick paperwork for our range monitoring 'work'. Out on the BLM, taking pics of dry stream bed washes. Erosion and riparian scenes.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
His dad is sitting in there saying.....gawd.....every time he takes a piss or closes a gate he has to get that gawddang camera out.........

Long as he don't piss on his boot while picture taking.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Long as he don't piss on his boot while picture taking.

Only when it's windy and I'm trying not to show off....
I just gutted my 6 pt buck that I shot with my Remington 700 factory stock and factory trigger.
35 Whelen made him cease and desist.
I had to make a shooting lane with my chainsaw so I could take a 165 yd shot in the woods.
Do you guys hangem head down or head up?
Originally Posted by whelennut
I just gutted my 6 pt buck that I shot with my Remington 700 factory stock and factory trigger.
35 Whelen made him cease and desist.
I had to make a shooting lane with my chainsaw so I could take a 165 yd shot in the woods.
Do you guys hangem head down or head up?

Stihl?
Deny any and you need to move yourself over to tbe phag thread
Closing gates is a thankless task best left for wives and children. Nothing is funnier than hearing your wife howl when you repeatedly make her run farther to get back in the truck on a snowy day. Who says that life is not a party?

mike r
Stihl of course
Stihl of course

Smart man.
Posted By: EdM Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/11/19
I am heading to NE BC for 16 days of goat, elk, moose, mountain caribou, black bear and wolf (the latter three gratis as a chance is rare) next fall. My Cliff LaBounty rebored 338-06 Rem 700 I bedded into a take-off McM KS is set for the hunt. My second trip with Stone Mountain Safaris. First trip brought an elk and moose via my tweaked (I bedded a Bansner stock) Ruger RS 35 Whelen throwing the 225 gr TSX. Next trip will run the the 185 gr TSX that has worked fine on elk for me.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Stihl of course

Smart man.

Sure.....a Stihl is good.....to cut your way to your McCulloch.
Posted By: EdM Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/11/19
Killed a BC grizzly and black bear with the same rifle.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
In one way or another, Chief Petty Officer B.S.S has been involved with all of my 700 purchases.
Posted By: hanco Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/11/19
700’s get a lot of flack, but they are great for the price.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: I like Remington Rifle 700's - 11/11/19
Originally Posted by SamOlson

RIVER GREEN Pro-Staff edition.
($1 bill if you can spot the other YETI product)
(such badass gear...)

In the mirror...?

Hmmm... I better go see a shrink... smile
If one of the Democrats running for president proposes banning ATVs, I might actually listen and ponder how to vote.

Not really, but I do despise the dad-limb things. There were two of them joy-riding on the (public) dirt road in front of my house last night, doing nothing but churning up the road. Wish there was an open season on them.
© 24hourcampfire