Home
Traveling from AR to FL and circumstances dictate an overnight stay. I’m hoping to make it to Tupelo, MS but we may not make it that far. Where can we stay outside Memphis that’s safe?
Olive Branch safe and far enough outside Memphis?
Is Tupelo even safe?
Thanks guys.
TAG

AR? Like Arkansas? Are you walking? JK

The parts of Memphis I've seen driving the route you likely will use, are disgusting. Like fat black hookers working Sunday morning disgusting.
pay att. to the people you see at gas stations & fast food places then make your mind up
You should probably stay home.
Carry hot
Olive Branch seems safe enough considering that you're traveling in the Dark Continent. I'd drink enough Red Bulls to get there.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Olive-Branch-Mississippi.html
Originally Posted by slumlord
Carry hot

Yep
We recently stayed in Florence, just south of Jackson. The motel across from Berry's restaurant. MO to FL. It was alright. Good luck.
Myrtle maybe?
Olive Branch is OK, just avoid the Memphis inner city areas. When I have to stay overnight in the Memphis area on business I usually get 15-20 miles from the inner city. If you're headed southeast, US Highway 72 to the Birmingham area through Mississippi is a good route to take. It's a divided 4 lane almost all the way, with light traffic and no speed traps. The motels in Collierville TN just east of Memphis on 72 are clean, safe, and reasonably priced. US 64 across the southern edge of Tennessee east of Memphis is speed trap central- - - - -especially Somerville!
Jerry
Germantown is a pretty nice area.
RockStar XDurance, Kiwi Strawberry, 300 MG caffeine. It'll get you there.
When I go on a road trip I buy a 4 pack of those little energy drink shots. They'll keep ya on the road except for the fact that they make me pee like a yard-dog.
A 32 ounce "Yeti" cup clone of strong black coffee is cheaper and works better- - - - - -gotta pee a bunch with a quart of coffee onboard
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
A 32 ounce "Yeti" cup clone of strong black coffee is cheaper and works better- - - - - -gotta pee a bunch with a quart of coffee onboard

Memphis?

I'd wear a diaper, like that NASA chick.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Memphis?

Milk jug and a funnel.

It's saved more than one life.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
When I go on a road trip I buy a 4 pack of those little energy drink shots. They'll keep ya on the road except for the fact that they make me pee like a yard-dog.

I'd drink a bunch of the sonsobitches no matter how much it makes Bristoe pee. The further you get from Memphis the safer you are.

Just thank Bristoe later.

wink
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
RockStar XDurance, Kiwi Strawberry, 300 MG caffeine. It'll get you there.
and some crank

Originally Posted by Fubarski

Memphis?

Haha
I remember that.

Mission Asswhoopin
Olive Branch and Southaven are safe to stop in the direction you’re going. Collierville and Germantown are good areas too but are a bit off your route. Tupelo’s OK to stop in.
“”Outside of Memphis” is a great choice.
Fuel up elsewhere too. I hate that damned place.
Stay in Tupelo......its fine....stay the HELL out of Memphis at night.
I found the Sagebrush motel in Broadus Montana safe and free of racial incidents and no unwelcome bugs if you can swing by there on the way.
I upgrade from a P-64 to a 1911 when I know I'll have to spend time working in Memphis. There's more than a few neighborhoods there where I look like a polar bear in a coal mine! Ditto for Little Rock!
Jerry
I remember once I had to go to Democrat Rd in Memphis. Disheartening day.
Memphrica....
What happens in Broadus, stays in Broadus...
I upgrade from a P-64 to a 1911 when I know I'll have to spend time working in Memphis. There's more than a few neighborhoods there where I look like a polar bear in a coal mine! Ditto for Little Rock!
Jerry

Got stuck overnight in Shreveport one night and it was the same deal. Guys leaning over the rails (second floor) oogling my wife. I unloaded my truck and took guns, elk rack from hunt, pistol...everything went in the room.
Forget the podcast,

Guy says he always stays at the BPS pyramid. Johnny keeps it safe.
Swing by the dog track first and pregame, then scoot across the river and watch the girls dance.
Bartlett/Germantown

It’s been awhile but the last time I stayed in Germantown someone was murdered and burned behind the extended stay I was in. Other than that I enjoyed my stay.
Originally Posted by rosco1
Bartlett/Germantown

It’s been awhile but the last time I stayed in Germantown someone was murdered and burned behind the extended stay I was in. Other than that I enjoyed my stay.

What kinda review did you leave on TripAdvisor?
Memphis is by far the nastiest city that I have ever been to. Don’t stay anywhere near the place. Keep driving!!!
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by rosco1
Bartlett/Germantown

What kinda review did you leave on TripAdvisor?

Not bad, the murder was behind us... Didn't even hear it.
I was in a motel in Little Rock close to the Veterans' hospital about a year ago. There was a gunfight in the parking lot just a few doors from my room at around 2:00 AM.
Jerry
I was in a motel in Little Rock close to the Veterans' hospital about a year ago. There was a gunfight in the parking lot just a few doors from my room at around 2:00 AM.
Jerry

Lots of folks go all the way to Old Tuscon for that kind of entertainment.
Not a bad motel at all. The bullets did not penetrate the walls.
What more could a man want?
Originally Posted by Hastings
I found the Sagebrush motel in Broadus Montana safe and free of racial incidents and no unwelcome bugs if you can swing by there on the way.

I’ve been there. The Antelopes were eyeing me suspiciously 🤠
Not a bad motel at all. The bullets did not penetrate the walls.

Haha.
I read reviews when i book a room. Some will be like “bed was hard” or “under the bed was dirty”.

I usually go for the $45 crash and dash.

Gun shot holes is something I’ll scan for. 😂
Stay at the James Lee House, valet park and order room service. Exit Tn. at 1st opportunity and w/ great vigor.

mike r
One of my earliest trucking trips had me overnighting at a truck stop in So Memphis. Never again! Ignorant country guy! Cadillacs and pimps, dope dealers in and out, da ho's.... Beggars and heathens of all sorts. Impractical to route around where I generally went in the area. Bad place
No locks on sleeper cab?
One of my earliest trucking trips had me overnighting at a truck stop in So Memphis. Never again! Ignorant country guy! Cadillacs and pimps, dope dealers in and out, da ho's.... Beggars and heathens of all sorts. Impractical to route around where I generally went in the area. Bad place

Is it illegal for truckers to have a gun in the cab ???
Originally Posted by RiverRider
What more could a man want?

A “No gunfights after 10pm” sign, clearly posted, would help.
Doors locked, curtains closed! That's my story..
Cadillacs and pimps, dope dealers in and out, da ho's.... Beggars and heathens of all sorts

"Target-rich environment"- - - - - - -better than a prairie dog town! Ever tried to get some sleep in a truck stop in Fresno California? We used to call it "Hooker City"!
Jerr
We used to stay in a little dive Mom & Pop Motel in Nara Visa, NM on our annual Antelope Hunt.
It had clouds painted on the ceilings & those old twinkling Christmas lights hung in rows over the beds.
Guide woke us up for breakfast at 4:00 am at the “truck stop/ cafe across the road. Buddy decides to sleep in.
Guess I didn’t shut the door good when I left. When we went back to the room he had two kittens sleeping on top of him. 😬
Doors locked, curtains closed! That's my story..

LOL
Driving though northbound up 72 during heavy afternoon traffic, at each stoplight, the jiggaboos would make extra lanes, shoulder to shoulder to pass cars. Tow truck drivers, loaded, would do the same with their lights flashing like they're exempt from traffic laws. Heathens.
If I was a trucker nowadays, I’d have an AR, 12 ga riot gun, and a couple of Glocks in the cab with plenty of extra mags too.

Oh wait, I always have those in my pickup 🤠
You sound like slumlord now...

But in a good way....

But in a good way....

Only if you don’t wear dickies coveralls with waist belt with metal buckle.
Oxford, MS is safe.
Yeah Memphis wasn’t even on the radar to stay in but it’s on the route.
I’ll gas up before there too.
I would really like to get to Tupelo but not sure if we can.
If I get a good vibe in Olive Branch we may stop there.
Thanks for the responses.
Y'all haven't been many places if you think Memphis is bad.

Memphis is tame. I stopped there yesterday for gas.
I also went through Broadus today. Nice place.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I also went through Broadus today. Nice place.

That close to Graceland?
It's by Lead Foot apparently.
Collierville, Germantown, Lakeland, Arlington.
Forget the podcast,

Guy says he always stays at the BPS pyramid. Johnny keeps it safe.

Son stayed there last year while attending a business meeting. Said it was a nice place.
Anywhere on Hollywood Avenue in Memphis should be good to go.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Y'all haven't been many places if you think Memphis is bad.

Memphis is tame. I stopped there yesterday for gas.

I’ve been just about everywhere and trust me, Memphis is bad. I work out of there but choose to live 250 miles away, that’s how bad I think it is.

Last year a co-worker was shot driving on the I-240 beltway, a guy pulled up next to him & shot him through the side window. It’s not uncommon there.

A few years back a good friend got held hostage for about 15 minutes when the convenience store he was in was robbed. He got pistol whipped by one of the robbers, another hostage was forced to suck one of the thugs pecker while he held a pistol to his forehead.

Every place seems tame until you get into something like that.
Couple of friends stayed overnight at a motel in Memphis while on a hunting trip. 6pm out front in broad daylight on a busy street-Joe was getting his bag out of the topper, couple of black kids rushed up, put a gun to his head and demanded his wallet.

Joe says "Ok-it's in the cab, let me get it for you." Was able to retrieve his .45 from the map pocket, put the muzzle on the kids nose and asked "Who's going to shoot first?"

Kids decided to run, Joe let them go instead of screwing up the hunting trip.

I'd make it to Tupelo if I was you.
Like most cities, if you can find a place on Martin Luther King, Jr Boulevard, you should be fine.
Memphis doesn’t sound like a nice place!
It's called "the first law of plumbing"- - - - - -Memphis has the lowest elevation in Tennessee, and "schitt flows downhill!"
Jerry
Originally Posted by Frayser
Like most cities, if you can find a place on Martin Luther King, Jr Boulevard, you should be fine.

LOL
Well we made it.
Rolled through Memphis Sunday night about 930. It had been about eight years since I was last through there. Talk about a nasty place.
About 10 police cars on one of the over passes and I thought to myself that many cops don’t respond to a traffic accident.
Didn’t get a good vibe in Olive Branch either so we rolled into Tupelo about 11pm.
Checked a Memphis news site and sure enough there was a shooting on or near that overpass shortly before we went through. There was another shooting on the north side of town the same night. One dead, one injured.
It’s doubtful I’ll ever go through there again at night.

Headed back to TX.
Originally Posted by cowdoc
Couple of friends stayed overnight at a motel in Memphis while on a hunting trip. 6pm out front in broad daylight on a busy street-Joe was getting his bag out of the topper, couple of black kids rushed up, put a gun to his head and demanded his wallet.

Joe says "Ok-it's in the cab, let me get it for you." Was able to retrieve his .45 from the map pocket, put the muzzle on the kids nose and asked "Who's going to shoot first?"

Kids decided to run, Joe let them go instead of screwing up the hunting trip.

I'd make it to Tupelo if I was you.

Ahhh... just kids havin' fun...
"Crocodile Dundee"
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Well we made it.
Talk about a nasty place.

Glad you made it; I am just now seeing this thread. My answer to original question would have been "Farfrom"
If you stay Farfrom Memphis, you should do all right.
© 24hourcampfire