Home
I am considering applying for a winemaker position at a winery in the Fredericksburg, TX area. I have never hunted in Texas and only have spent a couple weeks near San Antonia several years ago.

I assume that all the land in that area is private so hunting would be on private ranches for a fee. Is that correct? Can anyone give me a brief tutorial on how hunting works in Texas?
All you need is a wallet

They supply the corn and binoculars

grin
There are many day lease or guided hunts available.

It is best to get on a season lease, very little public land in Texas
You might try the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site .
Probably my favorite place to hunt. There’s enough free ranging exotics that you never know what your going to see but there’s very little public land in that part of the state. The only I know of is some further west near San Angelo and then a small bow only place near kerrville. Everything else around there is going to be private land

Lots of day hunt places and leases. A bare bones lease will run a couple thousand a year for a spot on a small place. If your only going to hunt a weekend or two a year then day hunting is probably the way to go
Can ya drive around and try to hit one with a truck, or are the fences just too high?

hahaha
Texas is 95% privately owned. There is some public land to hunt in The Hill Country, not always worth the chase. You can search the web & get some good prices. Another good source is the bulletin boards in the podunk convenience stores around the area. Gotta beat lots of bushes that way though.

You can purchase the Annual Public Hunting permit which gives you access to public hunting, at www.tpwd.texas.gov Otherwise, you are correct.
You might get some invites if you brewed some schnapps on the side.
Originally Posted by rufous
I am considering applying for a winemaker position at a winery in the Fredericksburg, TX area. I have never hunted in Texas and only have spent a couple weeks near San Antonia several years ago.

I assume that all the land in that area is private so hunting would be on private ranches for a fee. Is that correct? Can anyone give me a brief tutorial on how hunting works in Texas?

Make that part of the wine making deal with whoever runs that business.
Tell him/her you want the job, but I have to be able to hunt and hunt. Help me out if you offer me a job.
Get me on a lease, Please.
Land owner may just own another little 10,000 acre ranch.
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Make that part of the wine making deal with whoever runs that business.
Tell him/her you want the job, but I have to be able to hunt and hunt. Help me out if you offer me a job.
Get me on a lease, Please.
Land owner may just own another little 10,000 acre ranch.

That would be to good to be true.
You’ll either have to lease land, buy package hunts or start making friends. The deer population around Fredericksburg is really, really high. There’s a good chance you could shoot all you want at work, if they let you. We’re actually going there Thursday.
I hear housing around F'burg is really, really cheap too!

whistle
Just reading "Texas" and "hunting opportunities" in the same sentence brings a smile to my face......
Thanks for the comments. I know the wild pigs are a problem but I do not know if they are a problem pretty much state wide or in just certain spots. Are there plenty of pigs in the Hill Country?
There's pigs in the area, but you're going to have the same access problem that you would with deer. If you're working for a vineyard I would seriously consider asking the employer about hunting rights as the poster above mentioned. Very high deer population in that area and I imagine that they're hell on grapevines
Being the predator control agent for a vineyard in California sounds fun but not very PC. 😂
Thanks for the comments. I know the wild pigs are a problem but I do not know if they are a problem pretty much state wide or in just certain spots. Are there plenty of pigs in the Hill Country?

Yes.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I hear housing around F'burg is really, really cheap too!

whistle

I've heard that too. I think a 1970's single wide trailer on a 1/4 acre is only about 250,000.00$
If you plan on living here making friends with people who hunt and have access to land may be your best bet.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Can ya drive around and try to hit one with a truck, or are the fences just too high?

hahaha

You'll never see a local pickup around F'Burg with out a heavy duty grill guard. The most deer I've ever seen in my life was in about 2003 on FM 1376 going to to Luckenbach. It was deer thirty in the evening there was a big pasture on either side of the road. I thought they were sheep at first then realized I was looking at about 100 plus deer.
One small county in the Hill Country used to have the highest incidence of deer-car collisions in the US. As I recall, the last time I checked the total was over 13,000 per year.

hahaha

We leased property north of Fredericksburg for a few years. It was probably 20 miles before we left the pavement. It wasn’t uncommon to see 50-60 deer at night along the highway. I know there were nights we saw 100-200. Some nights we would just have to slow way down to keep from hitting one and enjoy what we had. They would graze along the road. Hell, they lay down in the road on real cold nights

I read years ago that Fredericksburg was in part of 3 contiguous counties that had the highest whitetail concentration in the country. I don’t know if that’s still the case but there’s a bunch. Seeing 20+ a hunt isn’t uncommon. You guys can keep laughing. I’ll take seeing 20 a sit vs 3 a weekend everytime

Op, I doubt you’ll be living in town or very close to it. Prices have skyrocketed. The vineyard will have a fence around it for sure but there will still be a few that get in.
A fee. Bahawaaa. How about a kidney.
Goodluck
All you need is a wallet

They supply the corn and binoculars

grin

Binocs for a 100 yard look?
What do you expect him to do.

They still have not figured out propane where he lives. wink
The lack of public land is why I would never ever and I mean never move back to Texas. Know someone, pay someone one, or buy the land.
river bottom.
© 24hourcampfire