Home
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...seen-nearly-30-years-found-alive-vietnam

A distinctly two-tone mouse deer that was feared lost to science has been captured on film foraging for food by camera traps set up in a Vietnamese forest.

The pictures of the rabbit-sized animal, also known as the silver-backed chevrotain, are the first to be taken in the wild and come nearly 30 years after the last confirmed sighting.

Despite the name, they are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest ungulate, or hoofed animal.
Creedmoor?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Pretty damned cool looking critter.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Sure is, I bet it's make a cool pet.
They don't look like they would taste like chicken.
I bet even a 270 could take down one of those.
Even the Booners are easy on wall space!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Sure is, I bet it's make a cool pet.

They get along well with grey foxes.
https://www.npr.org/2019/11/11/7783...hooves-photographed-in-wild-for-first-ti

"They are shy and solitary, appear to walk on the tips of their hooves and have two tiny fangs,"

Before the recent discovery, a total of five silver-backed chevrotains had been seen in only two confirmed instances: in 1910, when researchers acquired four specimens, and in 1990, when a joint Vietnamese-Russian expedition obtained a silver-backed chevrotain that had been killed by a hunter.
Like like a royal antelope.
Probably good in a bowl of Pho'. Gueszing that's why they're hard to find.

Bb
I have seen many who were proud to get a mouse deer or mousey dear.
That’s cool that it’s not extinct. I would hope that things like this would humble science with how much they don’t know.
Video would be good.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That’s cool that it’s not extinct. I would hope that things like this would humble science with how much they don’t know.

Wishful thinking!
Originally Posted by Snyper
I bet even a 270 could take down one of those.

I'm thinking a 177 pellet gun could take one.
Watched a hunting show about some guy hunting the Tiny 10 in Africa. Using a shotgun.

Not my cup of tea. I like big antlers and backstrap.
Typical Campfire ....

Awesome critter!

Got that right. Real dandy looking little fellows!

Glad they're making it! Amen brother.

What cartridge? Wouldn't take much!

Let's eat it!
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Creedmoor?

In .05 caliber. Hell, Use a .458 case.... smile

Or one of those .7mm calibers I once read about in a Fake News article.
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Wishful thinking!

I know....but I’m humbled. Those of us that spend our lives outdoors and enjoy the wilderness for more than just a passing moment or those of us that spend any time on the ocean and it’s all consuming openness understand how much we don’t know or just how much we do know is wrong. How very small we are in the big picture.
pot size, probably scare my fox.
Freezer friendly!
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Creedmoor?

In .05 caliber. Hell, Use a .458 case.... smile

Or one of those .7mm calibers I once read about in a Fake News article.

Oh yes, I have heard of the 'needle gun".
Schtick probably has a head or two of them mounted on his wall above the fireplace in his outhouse...
Originally Posted by stxhunter
pot size, probably scare my fox.

Probably scare my 8 lb, 8 month old Dachshund pup....

Naaaw!

Little fugger thinks he's 10 feet tall.

Between my feet.
Might have a chance in the dinkathon.
This proves again that we think we know so much and make bold declarations about many things, e.g. global warming. Sometimes we can't even find our azz unless we sit down!
I wonder if those little rat bastards grow horns.
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Wishful thinking!

I know....but I’m humbled. Those of us that spend our lives outdoors and enjoy the wilderness for more than just a passing moment or those of us that spend any time on the ocean and it’s all consuming openness understand how much we don’t know or just how much we do know is wrong. How very small we are in the big picture.

Hell, we know way more about nature than any of the environmentalist wackos and most of the wildlife biologists that are coming out of college. Most of those people have never been out in the woods for any amount of time.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Can't find any pictures showing antler.... Possibly another species of "mouse deer" shown here with a cock.

Oh, here's a Philippine mouse deer with tusks.

It was said that they disappeared when the French left Indochine and took all their cheese with them.
Ugly little bastards.
They'd make a cool euro mount with them fangs.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

None of the chevrotains grow horns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrotain

In other respects, however, they have primitive features, closer to nonruminants such as pigs. All species in the family lack antlers and horns, but both sexes have elongated canine teeth. These are especially prominent in males, where they project out on either side of the lower jaw, and are used in fights.
Dinkathon contestants?
Taste good, fry up crispy.
© 24hourcampfire