Home
I have a hunting cabin in Vermont that is about 6 hours from home. I have property to hunt in Pennsylvania so I bought the land in Vermont for a different experience and because grouse were plentiful at the time. The past few years, the hunting has not been good and it is a lot of driving when I have as good and often better hunting around home (better in PA for deer and grouse are about equally poor.) The idea of selling the place in Vermont has been crossing my mind lately. I would love to buy in Minnesota or somewhere with wild pheasant, good grouse numbers and big deer. The problem is that it would be a 20 hour drive to get there. That isn't feasible for me right now.

I would want to limit my drive to 12 hours or less each way. I would like to have good deer and bear hunting but plentiful upland birds (wild ones) of some type would be my priority. When I look in all directions from home, the only real options seem to be Michigan or Maine unless I am missing something. It seems that I could drive 10-12 hours and get to some very good hunting areas in Ontario or Quebec. I don't speak French so I have been investigating Ontario a bit. I don't have a lot of money to buy additional land but I could probably get about $150k by selling the Vermont property to use for a replacement.

I know that I would have to show a passport to cross the border but that is no problem. I have no criminal record so transporting a rifle or shotgun would not be a big issue. I guess it would be hard to get a loan/mortgage but I could probably buy something with cash if I sold the other property. Is there any other downside to going into Canada to but a property?
Looking closer at maps, Quebec would be easier but the language might be an issue. West and North of Ottawa are possibilities. Ottawa is about 7.5 hours from my house.
most of the French Canadians I encounter in northern NY are somewhat literate in English. I drive 14 hrs to get there; they drive 2.
Language won’t be a problem
I’ve worked with tons of guys from Quebec in the bush and I’ve gone there twice Bear huntin. I never met a Frenchman yet who couldn’t understand and speak English—some just prefer not to.
If you’re not Québécois don’t even think about talking French—they would know immediately and they don’t like it.
I guided a guy from Paris, France and he spoke to the resort owner in English—when I asked him why he said he couldn’t understand them and didn’t like being laughed at.
I’m not sure about Canada east of the Rockies but I know that they tend to be more liberal than their western Canadian counterparts. My buddy has a beautiful chunk of old growth that winds down to their beachfront cabin and their own private cove. I’ve mentioned it before but property taxes are astronomical. They were paying $1,000 per acre per year in property tax 😫. They sold off 80 acres keeping 20 acres and the main beachfront cabin and carried the 80 million dollar contract on the 80 acres they sold. This is around the Parksville area north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

The deer hunting can be very good and the bear hunting can be unparalleled for big bears. The rules regarding firearms and non resident hunters, guide requirements, etc have precluded us from dealing with the ridiculous hoops and red tape. We’ll haul one of the boats up there every spring and leave it through summer for fishing but there’s plenty of opportunity in this country as far as hunting is concerned without the hassle.

I love western Canada and the people. They’re polite, friendly and they make great neighbors.

When I was in your position and on the prowl for a place to put up a nice cabin for hunting I looked for several years. I’d narrowed it down to Alaska and then traveled all over the state in search of the perfect spot, finally settling in SE Alaska. I know that’s not pertinent to your situation but finding a good hunting place usually means getting away from population centers and putting some miles between you and civilization. I can fly north and catch a float plane to my place in the same amount of time it takes me to drive the the NW corner or the NE corner of this state. I’ll leave a truck and Suburban at our place up north as well as guns, gear and fishing tackle so I can just jump on a flight and go without any hassle.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Originally Posted by kkahmann

I guided a guy from Paris, France and he spoke to the resort owner in English—when I asked him why he said he couldn’t understand them ....

lol, I hear ya, man. funniest thing I ever heard (and saw) was a man from France trying to speak with a Cajun fellow I worked with.
Thanks guys. Property taxes of $1000 per acre is insane. I’m interested in the Ottawa River Valley. I keep coming across Renfrew County. If the taxes are high, I’ll scrap the idea. I thought my $2,000 per year in Vermont was bad.
$80M for 80 acres?

Manhattan money.
Sounds like a lot of dollars and headaches for a deer and a few grouse. Cheaper and easier to find a resort and make an annual trip out of it. They need money, you want memories...its a win-win.
Hey!, evening. The most birds in the last 3-4 yrs seems to be up northern Ontario eastern side around the New Liskard area. Not sure if that's close enough for you or not. When your way up north out of the farming areas most land is government land & anyone can hunt it, not sure about non resident??? Hope it helps. Bill out 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Originally Posted by WTM45
$80M for 80 acres?

Manhattan money.

Something isn't right there.

lisings map

This site ^ shows all listings that are in cahoots with a main stream realtor listing service in Canada, zoom in and have a look around. The listings will show annual property taxes. If you play around with "filters" on the top right you can get it down it just land, otherwise you're looking at all listings including residental, commercial etc.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
They sold off 80 acres keeping 20 acres and the main beachfront cabin and carried the 80 million dollar contract on the 80 acres they sold. This is around the Parksville area north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

Owner held $80M note on the sale of 80 acres without a dwelling?

That's what I'm referring to in the above post.

Guess there are suckers born daily, but I'd be damned if I am paying $80M for 80 acres unless it is a multi-high-rise units housing rent generator.
The first problem I’d have is coming up with 80M
Buy in South Dakota and fly out.

Keep an old jeep grand Cherokee out there.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I’ve thought about doing something like that in Montana. It would be a logistical nightmare though. I’d have to leave moat of my gear there and wouldn’t know how to get from the airport to the property and back.

Not if you want to shoot deer with a rifle.
I love Canada. I dont like their laws.

Canadian laws would be a logistical problem for me.

There are such things as airport cars. You just leave them there.

Or you could get a ride.

Folks are friendly.
Originally Posted by 19352012

What do you mean?

South Dakota is a slug state?
Originally Posted by 19352012

What do you mean?

South Dakota is a slug state?

Tags suck to get in South Dakota. My inlaws lived there. They use to be easier but blue tongue thinned the herd and now it's hard to NRs to get them.
Thats too bad.

I guess they have awful good pheasant hunting.

North Dakota maybe?
I love Canada. I dont like their laws.

Canadian laws would be a logistical problem for me.

There are such things as airport cars. You just leave them there.

Or you could get a ride.

Folks are friendly.

Rent it and just park it for 10 days while I’m there? I guess that is an option. I’ll think about that one.
We have a place in NW Ontario. Ours is more of a fishing place. I'd like to hunt in NW Ontario, but like tonight, I'm farming at the prime hunting season.
A place would not be cheap by any means. Keep doing homework, and good luck with what you do.
It is very difficult for a non-resident to draw a buck tag in ND. Heck, it's difficult for a resident to do so in most units. There is very little good habitat left on the landscape, and deer numbers are about 1/3 of their peak from 15 years ago.

Pheasants are not much better. When crop prices went through the roof 7 years ago or so, all the idle land was put into row-crop production. Ain't no place for critters to live anymore.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
It is very difficult for a non-resident to draw a buck tag in ND. Heck, it's difficult for a resident to do so in most units. There is very little good habitat left on the landscape, and deer numbers are about 1/3 of their peak from 15 years ago.

Pheasants are not much better. When crop prices went through the roof 7 years ago or so, all the idle land was put into row-crop production. Ain't no place for critters to live anymore.

I had heard rumors to the effect.
Originally Posted by WTM45
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
They sold off 80 acres keeping 20 acres and the main beachfront cabin and carried the 80 million dollar contract on the 80 acres they sold. This is around the Parksville area north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

Owner held $80M note on the sale of 80 acres without a dwelling?

That's what I'm referring to in the above post.

Guess there are suckers born daily, but I'd be damned if I am paying $80M for 80 acres unless it is a multi-high-rise units housing rent generator.

This was probably 15 years ago and it sold to an Alberta iirc oilman. I wasn’t involved in it as it’s my friends wife’s family that owns it, merely given broad details that was none of my business anyway. It’s truly a one of a kind property. They are thinking of selling and need to invest in another place and my buddy wanted to keep it in the USA this time. They were considering Steve Millers house in Friday Harbor but they’re traveling and we haven’t gotten together recently, except for the death of our best friend, his friend of 41 years. Their neighbor, amongst others, is Elvis Costello and Diana Krahl. Maybe I heard wrong and it was 18 million but I remember the cost of taxes.

There were 3+ cabins on the place but only 1 was nice.
I have a place in NW Ontario and have been going there for over 60 years. You can hunt small game there such as grouse, but for big game such as deer their hunting regs for non-residents are very restrictive - non-residents must use a licensed guide to hunt big game in Ontario. Fees for a guide start at $1000 and up. And since most of the licensed guides are resort owners, they'll expect you to stay in their resort in order to use their guide service. What do you get for your $1000 guide fee? They'll drop you off somewhere in the woods and pick you up in the evening. In Canada, especially in tourist heavy areas, the government writes the laws to help the resort owners. You can't even camp in certain border areas of NW Ontario. If you want to hunt deer, you're better off in the U.S.
Originally Posted by walt501
What do you get for your $1000 guide fee? They'll drop you off somewhere in the woods and pick you up in the evening.

Sound like Texas, but without refilling the feeders.
Walt sums it up.
As much as I would like to encourage all of our American cousins to come on up, the hunting regulations for non-resident aliens (as stated by others like Walt and Wabigoon) would make your life a misery.

Aces; a few of my thoughts and observations, Oceanfront land in certain areas of "the Island" aka Vancouver Island can be incredibly expensive with associated high taxes, and the Parksville area is one of the most desirable on the island . British Columbia also "goons" non-residents and non-resident aliens with property taxes much higher than those of residents.

In rural areas away from cities land prices are lower and taxes very low if a good deal of the land is deemed to be agricultural as opposed to recreational. My 1/4 section (160 acres) 1 hour ENE of Edmonton Alberta has property taxes of $750 per annum, which is high because we are hit hard on the two small cabins on the property,if it was strictly agricultural land taxes would more like $450 +/- annually.

Back to the OP, in short if hunting is a primary concern you are far better buying land and /or spending your dollars in the US. I like JIm Conrad's thoughts of the "airport car".

Good luck in your search.

All the best. GRF
A group of us are looking at buying a cabin here in MT. The one we are looking at is on 10 acres but borders giant acres of public lands as well as the river. We are considering doing the current house as an airbnb sort of thing. Maybe add a couple rv spots. It would seem like that model may become more and more common.
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
A group of us are looking at buying a cabin here in MT. The one we are looking at is on 10 acres but borders giant acres of public lands as well as the river. We are considering doing the current house as an airbnb sort of thing. Maybe add a couple rv spots. It would seem like that model may become more and more common.

At the minimum, draw up LLC/INC legally. Filed appropriately.

The Airbnb stuff is a HUGE exposure to liability. IANAL.
It will be an LLC and probable not airbnb but they are the model people understand.
One of the “us” has a condo in Maui and operates it as a short term rental.
GRF, Thanks for your firsthand insight, I figured that waterfront acreage around Parksville would not necessarily be indicative of the rest of Canada. Parksville is a really nice area and like most of Canada it’s clean and the locals are wonderful folks. We’ve pulled in some decent Kings the past few years up to 32# with most in the 15-20# range. Even though I’m only about 55 miles southwest of the Blaine crossing it’s still a full 8 +/- hour day just getting there. We figure 2 hours to get to the ferry, 3.5 hours for the ferry crossing and about 1.5 from the terminal to the cabin. I can hop a flight to Ketchikan and either a Beaver if I’m going straight to the land in the cove or a Cessna Caravan for IFR runway landing. The float planes are hit and miss with weather. 😫. In other words I can get to my place on POW in Southeast in less time than my buddy can get to his place which is some 600 miles closer AND it’s in the United States which makes everything easier.

I love western Canada and the good folks that reside there but I would not want to spend my hard earned money on a hunting cabin in a country with so much hatred of firearms. I understand that one can jump through a bunch of hoops, file the paperwork, pay the extortion money and hopefully get the ok to bring your firearms into the country but I much prefer the simplicity of flying domestically when it comes to traveling with firearms.
Canada would be perfect without its gun laws.
Originally Posted by walt501
I have a place in NW Ontario and have been going there for over 60 years. You can hunt small game there such as grouse, but for big game such as deer their hunting regs for non-residents are very restrictive - non-residents must use a licensed guide to hunt big game in Ontario. Fees for a guide start at $1000 and up. And since most of the licensed guides are resort owners, they'll expect you to stay in their resort in order to use their guide service. What do you get for your $1000 guide fee? They'll drop you off somewhere in the woods and pick you up in the evening. In Canada, especially in tourist heavy areas, the government writes the laws to help the resort owners. You can't even camp in certain border areas of NW Ontario. If you want to hunt deer, you're better off in the U.S.

That settles it. I have no interest in using a guide. Thanks for all of the info. I guess I will hold onto my property in VT for a couple more years and see what happens with the grouse numbers. If West Nile Virus continues to wipe the out, I’ll start looking at other states. It really is a shame how few wild gamebirds we have left in the east. We used to have pheasant and quail in PA. Now you have to drive 12 + hours to find them.

I’ve worked with tons of guys from Quebec in the bush and I’ve gone there twice Bear huntin. I never met a Frenchman yet who couldn’t understand and speak English—some just prefer not to.
If you’re not Québécois don’t even think about talking French—they would know immediately and they don’t like it.

This ^^^^

Home is Quebec for me since I was 12, other than my time in Alabama and the UK. Always maintained a home here. What the gentleman above said is the absolute truth, period.

I was born in Ontario, I have family there who hunt moose and bear and have camps here in Quebec. The say Quebec is better because of "Less hassle, less bullshit, more game, and more acceptance for hunters than in Ontario".

Maybe you should post this in the Canada Forum, and on a few Canadian hunting forums. Research the huntings laws pertaining to Ontario and Quebec, see what the differences are. Check the property markets in both provinces, and get a feel of the land.

A place to look:

https://www.landwatch.com

Good Luck !

Lynn
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn

This ^^^^

Home is Quebec for me since I was 12, other than my time in Alabama and the UK. Always maintained a home here. What the gentleman above said is the absolute truth, period.

I was born in Ontario, I have family there who hunt moose and bear and have camps here in Quebec. The say Quebec is better because of "Less hassle, less bullshit, more game, and more acceptance for hunters than in Ontario".

Maybe you should post this in the Canada Forum, and on a few Canadian hunting forums. Research the huntings laws pertaining to Ontario and Quebec, see what the differences are. Check the property markets in both provinces, and get a feel of the land.

A place to look:

Good Luck !

Lynn

Thanks for the info. I am more concerned about reading a deed or the hunting rules than conversing. I guess I would not blend in well either. I generally get along well with people though, even as an outsider. Does Quebec have weird restrictions for non-residents like requiring a guide? Thanks
Fugg Canada and their gun laws, Iowa isn't that far from PA and they have good pheasant and deer hunting. I just drove thru Missouri on the way out to Colorado, it looked like deer heaven!
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn

This ^^^^

A place to look:

Good Luck !

Lynn

Thanks for the info. I am more concerned about reading a deed or the hunting rules than conversing. I guess I would not blend in well either. I generally get along well with people though, even as an outsider. Does Quebec have weird restrictions for non-residents like requiring a guide? Thanks

I know any number of people who are family and or close friends in Ontario and Quebec that would be happy to help in such a matter. Bilingual notaries and translators are available to you.

Here are the restrictions and the rules and regulations for non residents of Quebec.

https://mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/pub...ulations/special-rules/non-residents.asp

https://mffp.gouv.qc.ca/moose-hunting-new-rule-for-non-resident-hunters/?lang=en

https://mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/hunting-regulations/index.asp

Here are the restrictions and the rules and regulations for non residents of Ontario.

https://files.ontario.ca/mnrf-2019-hunting-regulations-en-04-0-2019.pdf

https://www.ontario.ca/page/hunting-licence-non-residents-ontario

https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario-hunting-regulations-summary

Hunters galore in my neck of the woods, they hunt here in the Chateauguay Valley and up north in Moose/Bear country in Quebec. Any one of them would be more than happy to lend knowledge, advice, and a hand to you. They are good people.

Anything else you might like to know, if I can help or find out, I will be happy to be of service.

Lynn
If you still are thinking of Canada, maybe you should study and pay the money to just stay at a camp near there.

Check around a bit while there. You may have a better idea of what yo want to do long term.
In this area there are several American land owners—all of them fish and several Hunt.
Party hunting for moose is legal here and as a non-resident landowner you can buy a calf license—then you hunt with a local who has an adult tag. WE do it all the time.
Ruffled and spruce grouse numbers fluctuate wildly—last 2 years it has been really good.
I don't know how much time you plan on spending in Canada each year, or how many comforts you want.

Our hydro, electric, bill is over a thousand dollars C a year. We are there about six, or seven weeks a year on average.
I am sure once you get north of HWY 17 in Northern Ont. you dont need a guide to hunt deer. I have also heard you dont need a guide to hunt bear or a moose calf if you own land . This is why I am interested in owning at least a small parcel very close to where Wabigoon stays cause he wont let me use his place!!! Selfish huh? As for land there , it is quite cheap and taxes are cheap too but you need to be out in the back country . I have been interested for year but just dont have the time. Heck it's opening day for deer in upper Michigan and I can't even get there.
My place is 60 miles south of BC so close. For my youngest sons university graduation "gift" next year he requested a spring bear hunt from our place. I have three neighbors wanting to attend...
Maybe I just want to be poor by wasting all my money on hunting but I am starting to consider property in Eastern Kentucky. There is enough public land that I would only need a few acres to put a shack on. I'd prefer to get at least 25 acres so I could do some management on my own ground. How is Kentucky for you folks who have been there?
© 24hourcampfire