Home
Posted By: hanco Good concerts—-bad concerts - 11/16/19
I’ve been to many, many concerts in the last 50 years. I like for the artists to play their music, don’t care for a them to talk a bunch. I prefer they play the songs like they were recorded, not change them up or drag them out. I like the songs to be in the same tempo as it was recorded also. We saw Sammy Kershaw last night. He talked too much. We couldn’t understand what he did say, he didn’t sound too bad, but the band overpowered his singing. We have seen Sammy Hagar several times, he talked too much too. I guess if your name is Sammy you have to talk the whole concert.

Have you been to concerts you didn’t like or the artist talked the whole time?
Bar none that best I have seen for just what you mention was Bryan Adams...he was spot on with tempo and vocals..
I have herd U2 was really good too but haven't seen them my self..
try seeing david allen coe sometime. saw him last year. he bitched the whole time about the myriad of ways people had screwed him over. when he wasn't bitching it sounded like his band was playing different songs than he was singing, and poorly at that. he looked and sounded like death warmed over with a wig. holy fugg, i came out of there ready to hang myself.
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve been to many, many concerts in the last 50 years. I like for the artists to play their music, don’t care for a them to talk a bunch. I prefer they play the songs like they were recorded, not change them up or drag them out. I like the songs to be in the same tempo as it was recorded also.

Have you been to concerts you didn’t like or the artist talked the whole time?

Easily the best by the same standards you like was Crystal Gayle..back in the day. She just got up, played the songs you wanted to hear, no talking, no introducing band members, nothing but entertainment.
I don’t go to many concerts.

Last i went to was Jamey Johnson. He played in a small venue.
He really put on a show. Brought out Allison Krause to sing a few songs.

He even did a few gospel songs.

Bucket list concert- i really want to make a Cody Jinks show.
That sucks. I really like Sammy Kershaw too.

Only ever been to a couple shows. Saw Chris Ledoux in Billings.

That was very good.

Cant think of another one......
We saw George Strait a couple of months ago in Vegas. Extremely good, songs just like you hear on radio. He talked very little, brought a vet out on stage, gave him a house.

The Bellamy Bros don’t say chit, come out play nonstop, I recommend them highly if they come near you!
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I don’t go to many concerts.

Last i went to was Jamey Johnson. He played in a small venue.
He really put on a show. Brought out Allison Krause to sing a few songs.

He even did a few gospel songs.

Bucket list concert- i really want to make a Cody Jinks show.

ya that was the last one i saw. he was depressing as hell. every fuggen song was sadder than the next. i almost walked out but my boys liked him so i stayed. he must be a miserable SOB to sing songs like that. his band was good and he has a great voice though. but boy was he maudlin.
I’ve heard Coe was bad!
I would disagree. If I want it to sound "just like the album" I can always listen to the album. I like to hear different and expanded takes on their songs. and most good musicians get bored playing it the same way every night anyway.
Saw Lynyrd Skynyrd a couple months ago. Was a senior in high school when the plane crashed. They were coming to New Haven and we were supposed to see them. Great concert even though most of the band is gone.
Absolute worst for me was Eddie Money, opening for Santana in ‘78. He fell so flat at one point he asked us the audience if we were all on qualudes, not a way to win over a crowd. To this day if “Two Tickets to Paradise” comes on the radio I change the station.

Kinda sad actually, wikipediaing the guy, anyone who stays married to the same woman for thirty years and five kids, becoming clean and sober for his family, might not be all bad.

Meanwhile Carlos Santana, on that same stage after Money, put on a great show.

Best concert I ever saw was Chuck Berry, in a small college gymnasium venue, 1976 I think.

Tho in 2018 I saw Brad Paisley in a venue near NYC, that guy is a great guitar player and entertainer.

Originally Posted by smokepole
I would disagree. If I want it to sound "just like the album" I can always listen to the album. I like to hear different and expanded takes on their songs. and most good musicians get bored playing it the same way every night anyway.

+1
I saw Alison Krauss and Union Station play at a relatively small venue on UK's campus many years ago. Mike Tyminski was playing with them then and sang Man of Constant Sorrow The acoustics were very good in the building, every musician on the stage was a master of their instrument, Jerry Douglas was there playing the Dobro and they put on an excellent show.

T. G. Sheppard, good tunes and voice..boring azz show ..nobody got into it , ive left a hospital with a livelier crowd...
Haven’t seen them play in probably 15 years, but Flogging Molly put on the best show I’ve ever seen. High energy and great music.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
T. G. Sheppard, good tunes and voice..boring azz show ..nobody got into it , ive left a hospital with a livelier crowd...

We saw TG Shepard at the Stagecoach Ballroom in Fort Worth two years ago. He didn’t really sing, he just said the words. Niles City band opened for him, they were better.
I Don t want to hear their political messages,Don t want to hear your personal nonsense,I paid to hear you play that's it.
I’ve never heard one say any personal BS Tracy Byrd sang the national anthem his first song not long ago. Everyone in there sang it with him.

I highly recommend Tracy Byrd. He looked good, sounded great, no jive talking either!
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Bar none that best I have seen for just what you mention was Bryan Adams...he was spot on with tempo and vocals..

Holy fugk dude,,,,, Lol
If I ever went to a bryan adams concert, I'd take that information to my grave.
Saw Clapton the last time he came to town. Just blues deluxe.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Holy fugk dude,,,,, Lol

How many times you seen T Swift? laugh
I was dad of the year for spending $$ to get my daughter into the snake pit. 😄

I damn sure wouldn't be going to see some homo soy-boy by myself. I stand firm on my initial post 😄
I've been to countless concerts over the years. Rock and roll in my younger days, bands like Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Doobie Bros, Led Zeppelin, you name them, I've likely seen them in concert at some time. Later, in my sales rep days I'd take customers to concerts sitting in the company's luxury suite (which is nice). Off the top of my head, one of the best shows I've seen was Joe Cocker of all people. That old man in a suit and tie could really belt it out. One of the worst concerts I've seen was Bob Dylan. Dude didn't want to be there, his voice sucked, and he had his back to the audience for most of it. Second worst: Van Halen
Went to the fair to see Leroy Parnell.
Left early.
Only concert to ever do that.

Clark Family Experience opened for Reba Mcentire at Wolftrap.
When they started, people laughed. We thought they were
clowning around. Everyone got quiet and felt bad when we
realized they were that bad.

Doug Supernaw put on a great show.
Mentioned that his divorce was final that day,
And he would play as long as we listened.
I left at midnight.

Free tickets to a Foreigner concert, probably wouldn't
have went if I had to pay, even though a fan.
Another opportunity, and I will pay to see them again.
Kelly isnt Lou, but they entertain. (Saw Lou the next year. He should retire.
he really can't do it anymore. Sad really)

I damn sure wouldn't be going to see some homo soy-boy by myself. I stand firm on my initial post 😄

I’d pay to go see TSwift. If she was dancing at the Pink Pony. Lol.

Bryan Adams is Canada’s Bruce Springsteen. Not sure how gay that makes him? Guess you could judge by the number of French Canadians in the audience?
Best- Def Lepard during the Adrenalize tour

Worst- Moody Blues. I love their music but I walked out of their concert one time.

I was in college when Harry Chapin had a concert. I skipped the concert thinking I would see him the next year. He died soon after. I still regret not going to that concert.
Don’t go to many.
About 15 years ago, I went to The Rolling Stones. Was great.
Couple years ago, The Jersey Boys, they were great also.
I can't really remember which ones sucked, I was mostly shîtfaced upon arrival it didnt't matter.

Most fun was body surfin kids into the security trench. I got one kid all they up to the stage at Fear Factory. Then he got pummeled and dragged off.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I’d pay to go see TSwift. If she was dancing at the Pink Pony. Lol.

Bryan Adams is Canada’s Bruce Springsteen. Not sure how gay that makes him? Guess you could judge by the number of French Canadians in the audience?

springstien sucks too, my opinion.

I never dropped any coin for any of his shows or his music. Usually turn the station when his or cryan adams crap comes on.
Laughing

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The Sonics at the Target Ball Room in Burien, in 1966 when I was 15 was good.
JImi Hendrix in the Seattle Arena 1968 was good.
Its a Beautiful Day at the Seattle Pop Festival in 1969 was good.
Fleetwood Mac in Seattle Eagles auditorium 1970 was good.
Pink Floyd in University of Washington Pavilion 1972 was good.
John Hammond in Seattle in 197.......

The Rolling Stones 1972 in Seattle had a problem, Kieth Richard's D and G strings disagreed, and he re tuned the wrong one.
I went to see the Allman Bros on 40 anniversary tour. I left about halfway through. They weren’t that good even though Dereck Trucks can play. Greg Allman had another guy playing piano with him, his voice was terrible that night. Warren Haynes singing the Dickie Betts songs, but you expect to hear Allman singing
Reverend Horton Heat puts on a good one too.

I don’t mind a little stagemanship.
Papa Roach are great too!
Seen them when martini time came out. lol
Worst show I’ve seen was Bob Dylan at the Fox in Atlanta.

That fella is terrible.
They used to stack up a ton of acts at Lollapolooza, warp tour, hoarde, ozzfest

Used to hit those up. All dayers.
IceT and Body Count at the Masquerade when Cop Killer came out. That show was nuts.
I bet mannlicker would go to a Lilith Fair And see sarah mclaughlin and her wet dog show

Hahahahaha
Van Halens 1980 invasion quickly comes to mind. I knew every word of their every song. They had a new amp system that at the time, a Guinness record for most watts ever at a concert. Couple that with Roth getting drunk, & I couldn't even tell what they were playing.

Hank Jr. Another [bleep] that simply stole my money to just sit in a chair & slobber some chit.

On the other side, Bob Seeger put on concerts good enough that he sold out at Ruckus(Rupp) Arena twice in 6 months.

After getting married the second time & not needing concerts for dates & such I decided my money was much better used for other things & haven't looked back.
We saw Van Halen right after David Lee got back with them in the Toyato Center. They were great!

Saw them two years ago at the woodlands pavilion. It was terrible, David Lee sounded like cshit.
Kansas - saw them last year for the 4th time - going to see them again in May on the 40th anniversary Point of Know Return tour in a small theater - gonna be awesome!
Best I ever saw was Chicago.
Worst I ever saw was Bread.
Most surprisingly good was Black Oak Arkansas.

All back in the early 70's.
Best -Headpins

Tore that place to the ground, absolutely destroyed it. That chick could scream.

Good Motley and Ozzy together in the 80's tour.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Good concerts—-bad concerts - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by poboy
Saw Clapton the last time he came to town. Just blues deluxe.

Clapton was on my bucket list and we saw him with Steve Winwood about seven years ago. Two journeymen doing their work. No BS of any kind. It was awesome.
Posted By: RLA Re: Good concerts—-bad concerts - 11/16/19
I have seen the Stones 4 times in my life, the absolute best concerts ever.
i saw Van Hanlen with Sammy and it was great.
saw Alice Cooper several years ago, the played for hour and a half and did not talk at all until it was over.

worst concert was Santana back in th '70's, they just jammed, did not sing a word, no songs, just jammed. left half way through.
We saw Santana in the Woodlands some years a go. When he did talk it was in Spanish, that left a bad taste to us, more white people have put money in his pocket than Meskins
Neil Diamond in 1970 at OSU.
We saw Neil Diamond at the Houston Livestock rodeo, he was great, walked around the arena talking to people, even getting on The phone to talk to a girls mom. One of the most enjoyable concerts ever even though he talked some.
Best ..... Rolling Stones on July 4th 1978 in Orchard Park, NY, Bob Marley, Santana (x3) and David Bowie in Toronto, along with The Clash, The Specials, UB40, Jimmy Cliff, The English Beat, Jeff Beck, Talking Heads, The Police

Bucket list ..... David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Phish, Ott.
Saw Hank Jr 15 years ago in Stillwater, Oklahoma. His band played about 4 songs with him and they left. Then he brings out a stool and guitar. Plays acoustic only for the next two hours. Great show.

Chris Ledoux in Coffeyville, Kansas on the rodeo grounds in 1993 or so was also a good memory.
One of Elvis’s last concerts in 1975. Took my Mom for her birthday present.
Foghat in the 70’s. Foreigner back then too.
ZZ Top in the 80’s
Crystal Gayle with Eddie Rabbit in the 80’s
Hank jr at Billly Bob’s TX in the 80’s
George Strait bunch of times in the 80’s & 90’s
Dwight Yoakum late 80’s
Patty Loveless in the 90’s

All of them put on OUTSTANDING shows.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Patty Loveless in the 90’s

Patty Lovelace puts on a good show. Fast forward to 5:45 and check out that black haired female fiddle picker fiddlin' and humpin'. I don't know if she meant it to be hot or not,....but it's pretty damn hot.

Posted By: EdM Re: Good concerts—-bad concerts - 11/17/19
The best for me was The Last Waltz, the closure of The Band, in San Francisco. The worst was Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Concord Pavilion just a half dozen miles from my home. Born and raised in the Bay Area, leaving in 1996, I went to concerts far more than the movies.
Saw Dan Seals and Gene Watson both a couple of times.
Excellent concerts!
Carrie Underwood, Well worth the price.
Best concert would be a toss up between Steve Marriott and Neil Diamond.

Worst would be Ozzy Osborne.
Worst without doubt was Marshell Tucker, about half the audience walked out and I wanted to.
Steve Miller gave us all a lecture on how gawdawful logging was complete with a slide show, I won't listen to him since.
Moody Blues need to practice or hire a guitar player that can play what was recorded, they sucked.

Leon Russell came out sat at the piano and played for at least two hours, he stopped once long enough to toss some tambourines into the audience. Great show
Seen a lot of performers most were good too excellent but those mentioned were all standouts..
Best concert for me was Kid Rock at Sturgis last year, played for 2.5hrs, it was great! First concert I ever saw was the Beatles in 66'. Probably been to 15+ concerts, don't ever remember walking out and thinking "what a [bleep] concert".
Worst I ever saw was Willie Nelson. Old bastard can’t keep time for schitt. Songs were horribly performed. Won’t ever go see him again.
Best Van Morrison. John Lee Hooker opened for him.

Worst Black Sabbath. Ozzy was just completely wasted. Van Halen opened for them, though. That was pretty good.

Saw Santana for about the forth time a couple years ago. We were in the third row center. Best seats I've ever had. It was damn good too. His wife, the drummer, is awesome. Don't recall him speaking anything other than English.
Saw Danzig at a hole in the wall venue in 1996. He never said one single word between the songs, rather bizarre.
I have only seen suck at a big venue. ZZTop and BTO. I remember the old fuggs trying to jump and chit. And Def Leppard , well I have no recollection of the performance so possibly it was ok, but, I highly doubt it?

Saw Leon Russell at the Peacock in Corvallis Oregon. Don't recall it. Damn, can't seem to recall much nightlife before 2003...

Holy fugk dude,,,,, Lol

Don't be too quick to judge unless you have seen him...yea he was always known as a pretty boy and catered to the girls...
We went to see Def Lepard and Bryan Adams was the opening act...I was pretty Indeferent to him really...we like everyone in the building we were there for Def Lepard...
I couldn't believe he had everyone standing on there seats by the third song...he had a rack of like 15 different guitars and his playing and singing was perfect and live he really rocked the house....def Lepard was a let down way too distorted and you could barley tell what song they were playing...which was the subject of the OP
Phucqk I can't remember much.

Late 90s I caught this little band from Alaska called the Photons at a larger bar venue in Portland. They did this mix of disco like twisted up with banjos bluegrass funk... Whatever it was, it was great.

Though I saw the Cherry Poppin Daddies in Salem, what I recall is when this blonde chick said, "you wanna f uck in the bathroom?" And I said, "NO I Don't need to!" Being tone def has never been helpful. Use hearing protection.
Best- Def Lepard during the Adrenalize tour

Saw them at the Oak Mt Amphitheater in Birmingham. Good show.

AC/DC was a great show. But then I saw them about 20 years ago.

I would have no interest in seeing the modern bastardized version of them but I saw Van Halen in 1984 at the BJCC in Birmingham and they were great back then when David Lee Roth was still the lead singer.

May be a little melow for some peoples tastes but I saw Journey back in 1983 during the Frontiers tour and they were really good.
best i remember was rare earth, vanilla fudge and war at billy bob's, fort worth back in the 80s.
Kevin Fowler isn’t real big, but he puts in a hell of a show!
I worked security at a Marty Robbins concert. It was good. Got to spend time with him. He was a cool down to earth fellow. He died two months later. I liked him and his music. I saw The Hag twice. One was good the other he was so drunk he wasnt really there. He walked out early. I do like his music. I saw LaDoux once in wyoming at a rodeo before he was a big star.
he was good at both rodeo and music. The best was an EmmyLou Harris show. I won the tickets on a radio station contest. I told them she was better looking than The Hag but could not sing as well. Got to see her back stage and tell her that. It got a laugh outta her. And a kiss and hug for me!! Saw Charley Daniels a couple times at county fairs. He is a fun show. I guess the best muscian I have ever seen is Vince Gill. That boy can play and sing!!
Nazareth and Billy Squier 1980 very good

Y&T outstanding everytime. Dave Meniketti a true musican.

Jack Russells voice still solid. Saw Great White several times and Jack solo several times

Uncle Ted at Rich Stadium 1982 along with Foreigner, Loverboy, Iron Maiden all great

Judas Priest very good

Ozzy never disappoints

Van Halen music good, Dave washed up

Motley Crue Loud as fuuck and very good.

Lynch Mob solid

Dokken lost his voice

Kiss puts on a good show

AC/DC - Angus is a one man show. Brian Johnson gasping for air inbetween songs.

Slash and Myles. Loud and very good.

Guns n Roses very good

Metallica Outstanding plus James is a big time hunter.

Poison Ok.

Ratt sucked. Pearcy could of gave 2 fuuucks

Many more.... will remember later

Neil Diamond by far best entertainer........Metallica kicked ass March of this year.
Saw Bob Dylan and Santana at a concert when I was 16. I was able to get some guy to buy beer for a buddy and I. We thought we were living the high life. Santana played first and absolutely rocked the house. He was a true showman. Dylan came out didn't say a word. Sat on a stool on stage and mumbled a few songs. He was awful. People were booing and leaving. He was playing all these odd songs that I didn't recognize. We were saying the stool was there to hold his ass up. Dylan just didn't put on a good show even for a couple of drunk 16 year olds. This was sometime mid 90's.
© 24hourcampfire