Home
Posted By: VarmintGuy Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
I have always loved movies and "going" to movies.
As a child (65+ years ago) I especially looked forward to Friday nights when my parents would drop myself and my younger and older brothers off at one of the movie theaters in my home town and they would head over to their Eagles Club to socialize with friends. Yeah this was safe to do back in the 1950's!
Last night the VarmintWife and I headed out for the long drive to a "modern" theater with a large screen and a great sound system to see the movie "Ford vs. Ferrari".
I am glad we made that effort.
We were not just entertained by this movie we were "blown away"!
This movie ranks in the top three movies I have ever seen (and I literally have seen them all over the last 65+ years!)!
I won't spoil ANY of the many surprises and insights about the characters or the plot of this fantastic movie for anyone but I will expand a bit on my impressions.
First of all the casting was PERFECT!
The story line (writing) was PERFECT and for most of the movie spellbinding!
The production of the movie spared NO expense in recreating, realistically the era and the locations, that I could ascertain.
The acting was nothing less than outstanding at every level from supporting cast to the main actors!
I have ALWAYS been a performance car admirer and I won't go into the particulars of that now - my main concern is convincing anyone/everyone to go see this movie on a "big screen" and in a theater with a great sound system!
I highly recommend this movie to all - not just those of us with an admiration of the American automotive industry and many of the icons of this era.
Go see the movie and if you can figure out how to attach a seat belt to your theater seat I suggest you do so!
I give this movie a strong (near perfect!) 99 on my movie scale of 1 to 100!
I can't wait to see it again.
I give "kudos" to ALL that participated in the production of this fantastic movie.
I hope you will enjoy this movie as much as I did.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: A trailer to view for those that may need convincing!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
only thing that would make it better is MOPAR.... lol
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Thanks for the endorsement, think I’ll go see it.
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter

No!!! The point was to beat Ferrari, not shed parts all over the track grin
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by kolofardos

Old mopars ruled the streets........
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by Tom264

I know, just bustin balls. Had a 71 Challenger with 340 that was my all time favourite vehicle
Posted By: kennyd Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
How dies it rank compared to Worlds Fastest Indian?
I have heard enzo was miffed about ford using truck block engines
Originally Posted by kennyd
How dies it rank compared to Worlds Fastest Indian?
I have heard enzo was miffed about ford using truck block engines

While publicly he may have called them truck engines, I don't think Enzo was that blind to the technology used in the Mark II 427 engines. Sure, they were part of the Ford FE engine family. But they were very, very well engineered to do just exactly what they did. Win. Decisively.

At any rate, starting in '68, engine size was limited to 5 liters. Fords still won. And again in '69. Hell, it was the same damned car that won both both those years - #1075

As for the movie itself. Well, I know the story. For me the GT40 is one of the very highest points in American car racing history. But with time and reflection, it's more like a David vs Goliath story, but in this version it's Goliath that kicks ass. I'm also afraid, just from what I've seen in the trailers, that there's a bunch of inaccurate drama thrown in for effect. I'm still taking my boys to go see it.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Kennyd: I saw and very much enjoyed "Worlds Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins.
It was/is a great movie but is nowhere near the epic effort and result done with "Ford vs. Ferrari"!
I checked with the oft quoted movie ranking site "Rotten Tomatoes" for their ranking and here are the results.

"Worlds Fastest Indian" - Tomatometer = 82% - Audience Rating = 89%
"Ford vs. Ferrari" - Tomatometer = 93% - Audience Rating 99%

So those folks consider "Ford vs. Ferrari" as a better movie (as do I).

I also saw that Ford vs. Ferrari cost $97,000,000.00 (ninety seven million dollars!) to make, for budget and advertising - and in two days (Thursday & Friday) has already recouped $50,000,000.00 (fifty million dollars!). So it will definitely be a financial success. As well as, in my mind, it will be a great and successful movie.

It seems there are always those that, apparently out of jealousy or other unknown reasons, will cast aspersions on success - I see this is true here.
Sad.
If anyone who sees this movie and comes out of it "proclaiming" that they "were not well entertained" - well I will look them in the eye and call BULLSCHIDT - and laugh in their face.
Be sure and stay for the after movie ending and the on screen informational writings.
To all who see it with an open mind I am sure you will enjoy it and consider it time and money well spent!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Shelby was as steady as a rock, no wild man. His wry humor carried him far, as did his genius. He got a kick out of beating Ferrari with his "crude" Cobra.

I'll definitely rent it when it's available in three months.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Shelby was one of the idols of a misspent youth, back in my gear head days. Never got to drive a Cobra, did get to ride in the original 289 version in the mid 60s and later, a 427 SCCA legal one. Wow!

Last interview I saw with him before he croaked, he was yakking about his latest efforts with the Mustang. IIRC, he said they were getting 800 HP out of the engine. When asked what he thought the limit was, he said probably a thousand?

A true American character. I rank him up there with Chuck Yeager and a few others. As for the GT40, even given its age, still one of the best looking cars ever created.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19

lol
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Lola/Ford vs Ferrari
Posted By: logger Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Lola/Ford vs Ferrari

Kind of like the Honda and Chevy Indy cars - built by Dallara.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Lola/Ford vs Ferrari

Kind of like the Honda and Chevy Indy cars - built by Dallara.

Yeah. It was between Lotus and Lola.

They had a normal rough first couple of years racing the GT-40 at LeMans.
1964 was bad and then Shelby took over.
1965 only 1 of 11 starters finishing a the race.

Many lessons learned

I hope they put Richie Ginthers story in the movie.

He was told to go out and beat on the Ferraris......went from 8th to first in a couple of laps.

Down the Mulsanne straight he blasted past the leading Ferraris at over 200mph.....a first.

Had a 40 second lead a hour later.

Helluva driver.
Posted By: g5m Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Shelby was as steady as a rock, no wild man. His wry humor carried him far, as did his genius. He got a kick out of beating Ferrari with his "crude" Cobra.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen Shelby interviewed in years and this is good!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by dubePA
Shelby was one of the idols of a misspent youth, back in my gear head days. Never got to drive a Cobra, did get to ride in the original 289 version in the mid 60s and later, a 427 SCCA legal one. Wow!

Last interview I saw with him before he croaked, he was yakking about his latest efforts with the Mustang. IIRC, he said they were getting 800 HP out of the engine. When asked what he thought the limit was, he said probably a thousand?

A true American character. I rank him up there with Chuck Yeager and a few others. As for the GT40, even given its age, still one of the best looking cars ever created.

You must be tuned into my thoughts 100%.

wink

This is about all I have left from back in the day. An X-wife threw out all my trophies, photos, and memorabilia out of spite. She was certifiable and caused me problems until the day she died. It was one of my favorite events and didn't allow for screw ups. Anyone who has ever traveled the old Donner Pass highway will know what I mean.

Everyone in our SCAA region wanted to be Carroll Shelby...total hero worship.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Pugs Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/16/19
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
We were not just entertained by this movie we were "blown away"!
This movie ranks in the top three movies I have ever seen (and I literally have seen them all over the last 65+ years!)

First of all the casting was PERFECT!

The story line (writing) was PERFECT and for most of the movie spellbinding!

The production of the movie spared NO expense in recreating, realistically the era and the locations, that I could ascertain.

The acting was nothing less than outstanding at every level from supporting cast to the main actors!

I won't say it's the top three but my wife and I saw it and it truly a movie worth seeing. If you're a car guy even better but my wife, who is not, still thought it was great. I fully expect Christian Bale will at least get a nomination for an Academy award.

I know a lot about the real story and there were things left out but you really have to do that to make the story bounded and not wander so it's justified.
Posted By: Dess Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
Saw it today. I give it 5 "up yours".

It's a guy's movie. It's fun.
Good to hear...I quit going to movies long ago as they just over do the special effects and always seem to throw in some political liberal crap....
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
It's been difficult for me to enjoy movies ever since I learned that every actor/actress in them had to suck a dick to be in it.

Well,......except for maybe the lead actor in Django Unchained. Maybe he didn't have to suck a dick. He just had to promise to act in a movie that would get a lot of white people killed.

,....kinda like them "Roots" marathons they run every now and then. You better arm up and lock the door if you live near black folks when they run one o'them "Roots" marathons.

,....get's 'em all worked up.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
in the early 70's i was working construction in the summer to pay for college. a guy on the crew had a 289 cobra, he couldn't afford it, i could have bought it for about 3500dollars. didn't. I cry to this day every time i think about it, it would have meant only a couple extra months of work.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
A bit more:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motors...pAi4823co-GEQ2uTnNVYkbtE_HoAerEQpvnaNqUM
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Good to hear...I quit going to movies long ago as they just over do the special effects....

That's why I got excited about this movie when the first trailers came out. They made a point of promoting the fact that the stunt driving was all done with real cars, not CGI. Pretty impressive... nobody's bothered to do that for a looooong time.
Posted By: add Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
::This space reserved for Manlicker's thumbs down::
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
Originally Posted by add
::This space reserved for Manlicker's thumbs down::

OK, that made me laugh. Sorry Mannlicher grin
Posted By: logger Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
in the early 70's i was working construction in the summer to pay for college. a guy on the crew had a 289 cobra, he couldn't afford it, i could have bought it for about 3500dollars. didn't. I cry to this day every time i think about it, it would have meant only a couple extra months of work.

I feel your pain. In 1971 I bought a 1966 Shelby GT 350 for $2400, raced it for three years and then sold it (for $2500) to buy a Lotus formula car. I thought I had really done well.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19

I feel your pain. In 1971 I bought a 1966 Shelby GT 350 for $2400, raced it for three years and then sold it (for $2500) to buy a Lotus formula car. I thought I had really done well.

You should have bought a Lotus Super Seven. wink

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lotus/super-seven/2177468.html

Posted By: 257heaven Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
I will definitely go see it in the theater.
Posted By: logger Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19

I bought a Lotus 22 Formula Jr (or Formula C in the US) for about $2500. Bought it from the guy that got me started in racing. Sold it to Mike Gue (then in England) for $2500. The guy that I bought it from was a great machinist. When I broke the crank in the MAE engine, he built me a billet crank that stunned the guys at Cosworth. The restored car sold for about $85,000 in the 1980s. After the Lotus, I started racing Formula Fords with a Titan Mk VI.
Posted By: BangPop Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
There is a NetFlix documentary about the Ferrari Ford rivalry. I watched last night and it was quite interesting. I recommend it.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
Lotus Super Sevens made interesting "kit cars". Once saw/heard a unique one at the Reading, PA airport road races in the 60s. Sounded like a 900 pound McCullough chain saw. Had a modified SAAB 850cc two stroke in it. Also recall a few auto crosses in our area, that some Cosworth powered ones showed up.

Guy down the road from where we live now, had a 289 Cobra in the late 60s. Wrecked it, sat out behind his house under tarps for years before he finally sold it. His buddies had 'Vettes, he wanted something different.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
I took achadwickwife to see it yesterday, and we really liked this movie. Thanks for posting, VarmintGuy!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19
Achadwick: You are welcome - I am so glad you and the Achadwickwife enjoyed the movie.
I am going to see it again - when I can get away.
I think I mentioned it already but if I didn't the VarmintWife enjoyed this movie immensely as well.
Wonder what the box office take is up to?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Starman Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/17/19

The proper way to spare no expense is to actually go make the film at Le Mans in France.

Matt Damon and the sterile CGI effects used in the movie are just more turn -offs.

This movie ranks in the top three movies I have ever seen (and I literally have seen them all over the last 65+ years!)!

a person seeing all movies over 65 yrs and claiming to be an expert judge on movies, reminds me of those
that brag about owning 200 factory rifles and being a self-proclaimed great judge of quality rifles.

The story line (writing) was PERFECT ...

considering its made out to be such an iconic and epic battle, Motor racing enthusiasts would probably prefer more
historical detail /background and accuracy.

but hollywoods primary focus is maximum return on the dollar and for that to happen they need to concentrate
on an entertainment product for the dumbed down masses.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
starman: Sounds like you were not impressed when you saw the movie?
Okay.
To each their own.
I still HIGHLY recommend the movie, despite your "review".
Va-roooom!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Starman Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
I don't expect much from Hollywood so the movie does not disappoint ,

its your over the top rating of the movie and production that's the real issue. .. grin
Posted By: dubePA Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
Box office leader for the weekend, according to the local newspaper today. IIRC, said it raked in over $31 million on opening weekend. I'll probably go to see it at some point. Ain't been inside a movie theater in the past 30 years.
Posted By: krupp Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
Just watched..." Ferrari-Race to Immortality". A 2017 documentary about the Scuderia Ferrari team.

Those 1950's era F1 drivers had balls of steel and quite a few of them didn't live to see 40.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
I wonder where Starman takes a leak if he doesn't have somebody's cornflakes to pizz in... just wondering...
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I wonder where Starman takes a leak if he doesn't have somebody's cornflakes to pizz in... just wondering...

He'd have to look it up on Google of course, and if it told him to pizz in his own, why then he'd do that.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19

he pees in a douche bag.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
he is a douche bag.

What you meant to say.
Originally Posted by dubePA
he is a douche bag.

What you meant to say.

That would be an insult to douche bags. They at least serve a useful function.
I'll just wait for the book to come out.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19

I bought a Lotus 22 Formula Jr (or Formula C in the US) for about $2500. Bought it from the guy that got me started in racing. Sold it to Mike Gue (then in England) for $2500. The guy that I bought it from was a great machinist. When I broke the crank in the MAE engine, he built me a billet crank that stunned the guys at Cosworth. The restored car sold for about $85,000 in the 1980s. After the Lotus, I started racing Formula Fords with a Titan Mk VI.

The formula Fords were a great affordable class that still performed enough to raise neck hackle at times. I wanted to go that route, but money was pretty scarce.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19

Impressing Ducky is no mean feat.....
Posted By: Redneck Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/18/19
I definitely wanna see it.. As soon as it comes out on DVD or streaming I'll watch it.. But will never go to some movie theater.. Gave up on those about 30 years ago..
Someone's not a fan grin grin grin:

Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by Redneck
I definitely wanna see it.. As soon as it comes out on DVD or streaming I'll watch it.. But will never go to some movie theater.. Gave up on those about 30 years ago..

Streamed it last night and tonight.

"I call that the llama bite."

"Where the hell did you learn that? The Girl Scouts?"

Hilarious. smile
One of my friends went to the Sebring 12 hour race in 1964. He brought a program back from that event with a cartoon on the back page. It shows two cops in what's obviously a Ferrari with a bubble gum machine on top. One looks at the other and says "Forget about it- - - - -it's a Cobra!" I'll bet that one made old Enzo crap his drawers!
Jerry
Posted By: Chisos Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by Tom264

That is until the Buick Stage II Skylark came out.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/22/19
Loved the movie.
The movie delves deep into Miles family but nothing about the families of anyone else.

It is worth seeing the the theater for the sound of the various cars. Not one of the very best car movies for the motor sounds but still pretty good and well worth the money.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/25/19
Went to see the movie tonight with the little wifey. She really liked it, so that is evidence anyone will like it. I agree it is a must see! It was very well done.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Went to see the movie tonight with the little wifey. She really liked it, so that is evidence anyone will like it. I agree it is a must see! It was very well done.

It was well done. I thought it a really good movie. I don't at all like Damon (or Bale's) politics, but it the movie was really good.
Posted By: hatari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/28/19
Just saw it.

Outstanding.!

They hit the story right and great casting. Fantastic race scenes.

Big emphasis on Ken Miles. Please realize Ford had Dan Gurney, Bruce McClaran and Nob Bonderant too. All HOF drivers. AJ Foyt was a consultant.

They probably portrayed Leo Beebe wrong. Leo wrote the checked fir Ford racing and assembled much of that talent. Gotta have a villain.

They did a good job portraying Enzo and the Italians.

Great car movie. This one will endure like Bullit or LeMans
Oh, see it on the Big Screen. Seriously.
Wasn’t as good as Days of Thunder......

Haha!

Tom Cruise?

Be for real❗️😉

Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Haha!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/28/19
Hatari, Crow hunter, Orange Okie, Alamosa et al: Glad you all enjoyed it!
I have been so busy chasin guns and finishing Hunting season I have not got back to see the movie a second time.
Looks like maybe Monday (December 2nd) I have an opening to see it again on the big screen.
I am not letting much of the "cat out of the bag" but the opening scene in the Ford assembly plant with all the Ford Falcons being assembled just amazed me - it was the predecessor scene that gave me a clue to what a superb movie this was/is!
Can't wait to see it again.
Again I am glad many of the Firers here enjoyed the flick.
Varooom!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by hatari

Tom Cruise?

Be for real❗️😉

Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Haha!

I know right? It was basically “Top Car”
I can’t watch ANYTHING with Tom Cruise.🤮🤮🤮🤮

He is too me what Hanoi Jane was to my Dad
I saw it.

I was interested in the various period vehicles used in the shots. Never had heard of Ken Miles before. Effectively he was in the equivalent of the Army Reserve (Territorial Army) until DDay.

Long odds against a British Tank Commander (or ANY tank commander) going ashore on Normandy, I’d like to know more about his wartime career.

I dunno what age race drivers commonly peak but doing the racing that he was doing in his 40’s (he was born in 1918) seems impressive.
Posted By: djs Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/28/19
There are historical inaccuracies in the movie, but it is an EXCELLENT film.
Posted By: djs Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/28/19
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I saw it.

I was interested in the various period vehicles used in the shots. Never had heard of Ken Miles before. Effectively he was in the equivalent of the Army Reserve (Territorial Army) until DDay.

Long odds against a British Tank Commander (or ANY tank commander) going ashore on Normandy, I’d like to know more about his wartime career.

I dunno what age race drivers commonly peak but doing the racing that he was doing in his 40’s (he was born in 1918) seems impressive.

Limited info on Ken Miles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Miles
Posted By: hatari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/29/19

Originally Posted by Redneck

B

Spend a few bucks and see it in the theater will full sound and BIG screen

Worth it
Posted By: LJB Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/29/19
I had never heard of Ken Miles before. What a story. His legacy deserves much respect; as much as Lauda, Senna, Foyt, Mclaren, etal.
Posted By: hatari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 11/30/19
Made a pot of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili tonight I was so inspired. Still my favorite mix. Carroll said it was ok to add beans so phouc all you chili snobs!

smile smile
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/02/19
Saw it on the Big screen.

Good movie except for the truth.

And I wonder if Shelby really made that deal before Daytona ...........

The things that happened in 64 he said happened in 65.
Heck. They skipped 64 altogether

But it was made for the masses.

Like the movie Pearl Harbor.......the truth be dammed
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/02/19
I was thoroughly entertained.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/02/19
Made a pot of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili tonight I was so inspired. Still my favorite mix. Carroll said it was ok to add beans so phouc all you chili snobs!

smile smile

smile

I'm thinking he don't mind pizz in his own cornflakes. May enjoy it. I have no idea why someone gives two hoots what he thinks.
Took the wife to see it last night. Both of us enjoyed it a lot. Just curious how factual the story was. Anyone know?
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/02/19
CaribouJack: I am so glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the movie. I have been wondering the same thing as you - now that the Big Game season is over here in Montana I plan on spending some time researching this and the main characters portrayed in the movie.
I am seeing the movie again tonight on "the big screen" - have to travel 65 miles (each way!) but its worth it!
Can't wait.
VaaaRRRrrrooooom!.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hatari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/02/19
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Took the wife to see it last night. Both of us enjoyed it a lot. Just curious how factual the story was. Anyone know?

As I have known the story for years, it is fairly accurate. Ford wanted to get into GT racing to promote the Mustang and the Pony cars. Ford was all into "Win on Sunday sell on Monday" with NASCAR so LeMans was the next logical entry.

Shelby had already been racing his Cobras and the Daytona Coupe, which was why Ford approached him. Ferrari was hurting for money. Enzo Ferrari was passionate about racing and only built cars to allow him to race. Most models had only enough production numbers for "homologation". Enzo was all about racing and was passionate and egotistical about it.

Ford offered to buy all of Ferrari's holdings, but Enzo wanted to keep control of Ferrari racing. Ford wouldn't go with that, so deal was off and FIAT bought Ferrari production cars and Enzo kept control of racing division.

Henry Ford II was proported to be an egotistical prick that surounded himself with Yesmen. Ford II was into the good life of win, women, and racing. He took it as a personal affront when Ferrari told him to buzz off.

The first year at LeMans Fords were running very well but did all retire with transmission troubles. That lead to the design of the "top loader" transmission that they used in in not only the GT 40 but Mustang GT and drag cars. It is indestructible. Yes, Ford did finish 1-2-3 and yes, Ken Miles did get screwed out of the victory becasue of it. The story I read years ago was that the French agreed to Miles being the victor when Ford asked if they could stage the photo op, then with a few laps to go renigged on there promise and Bruce McClaren was declare the winner.

Yes. the phot finish was Leo Beebe's idea. I'm not sure he was as big of jerk as they make him out in the movie. Beebe made sure Shelby and the boys got all of Ford's resources to build that car.

Ken Miles was a hell of a driver, but so was Bruce McClaren and Dan Gurney, Chris Amon and Denny Hulme and Dick Hutcherson. This movie focused on Miles but there were other very talented drivers.

smile smile

I'm a fan of Carroll's chili mix too and you'd better believe I add beans, two types of them as a matter of fact!

Half the satisfaction is sitting on the couch farting for the next three hours
Made a pot of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili tonight I was so inspired. Still my favorite mix. Carroll said it was ok to add beans so phouc all you chili snobs! smile smile

That's the only Chili seasoning I use, and yes I add beans!!! Carroll said so!!!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/02/19
Ken Miles was a hell of a driver, but so was Bruce McClaren and Dan Gurney, Chris Amon and Denny Hulme and Dick Hutcherson. This movie focused on Miles but there were other very talented drivers.

There is a lot more to the story but this is a compelling part of it and very well told. The recent Midway movie is a disaster (partially) because it couldn't focus and tell a segment of a compelling story. That is one thing they did really well in FvF. They picked an important part of the story and then fully developed it and the characters. There is certainly more to be told.

Did anyone else notice the very small segment about the wooden wedges? The plan was to wedge the springs to meet the 40" height for the rules and at the first road bump or unloading of the suspension they would fall out and the car would settle down to a more optimum height. http://fordauthority.com/2016/06/meet-the-original-ford-gt40-crew-video/. There are LOTS of little things that were done but to include them would have cluttered a well told tale.

I'm looking forward to the DVD - I'm sure it's going to have some great deleted scenes and behind the story type of stuff.

(and also a fan of Shelby's chili mix. I've tried a lot and tried to make my own and have to admit it's just darn good)
Posted By: logger Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/02/19
The story about McClaren's car being sponsored by Firestone and Mile's car being sponsored by Goodyear (Shelby was the Goodyear west United States distributor (and where he really made money)) is also interesting. The Firestones didn't last and McClaren demanded a shift to Goodyears - and finished the raise on them. They kept that pretty quiet. I still have an old McClaren driving suit patch (with the kiwi).
Posted By: hatari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/03/19
The story about McClaren's car being sponsored by Firestone and Mile's car being sponsored by Goodyear (Shelby was the Goodyear west United States distributor (and where he really made money)) is also interesting. The Firestones didn't last and McClaren demanded a shift to Goodyears - and finished the raise on them. They kept that pretty quiet. I still have an old McClaren driving suit patch (with the kiwi).

Yes! The Firestones were shredding and the Firestone people acquiesced to McClaren. They figured Ford finishing on Goodyears was better than DNF on Firestones.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

They have Ken listening to the 33rd,1965, race on the radio when he was actually driving in it.

First year the GT40 ran.....1964.....I believe 3 raced......but all failed to finish.

BUT......Richie Ginther.....mentioned in the movie......started 8th, in 1964, and was told to beat on the Ferraris.

The Ferraris started 1&2 I think. Richie started 8th. But in 2 laps he was the one that blew by the Ferraris, all of them down The Straight,to take the lead, by reving the engine higher, and had a 40 second lead after an hour.

This is what worried Enzo. In 1964......the movie just skipped the first year.

Then Carroll took over for 1965........10 of the 11 cars failed to finish

They also left out the fact that for the first 2 years that the GT40s won.66&67,all the cars were built in Europe.

It was a Lola. It was between a Lotus and a Lola. Lotus wanted Ford-Lotus on the car.
Ford didn’t. Lola built the cars

And as has been said. The other drivers were great. Look at Dan Gurney’s history(played in the movie by his son)
He won in Sprint cars,NASCAR,Indy 500,Top Fuel dragsters, formula 1, and Lemans.

Ken was great!!!! They just made it out like , poor ken, does everything and never gets any credit,

And Carrol was a character and con man. Don’t know if all the things they showed were real. But more and stranger ones did.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/03/19
257x50: It was even better the second time I saw it (tonight!)!
I seldom pay to see a movie twice on "the bigscreen" but in this instance, it was absolutely well worthwhile!
VaaaaRoooommm.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
257x50: It was even better the second time I saw it (tonight!)!
I seldom pay to see a movie twice on "the bigscreen" but in this instance, it was absolutely well worthwhile!
VaaaaRoooommm.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I said a couple of posts back I saw it on the big screen and liked it.
And I only go to the movies when my grown daughter wants to see one and can’t find anybody.

Once every 2-3 years.

It just bugs me that with that it a budget........the shifting sounds when it the engine should have stayed screaming.

But with that budget.....you have to sell to everyone.

Worlds Fastest Indian was low budget.........only had to sell to a few.

I’ll see it again. On the big screen.

TCM puts old movies on the Big screen. Saw Lawrence of Arabia a few months ago.

Big screen movie. Check them out.
257 X 50: You say one thing but then try to undo what you just said!
Well I have no such bizarre tendencies - I said it before, I REALLY enjoyed this movie and highly recommend any red blooded American male (and many females!) go and see it.
I think I will say it again this is a SLENDIDLY made movie and in my opinion SUPERB entertainment!
I just might see "Ford vs. Ferrari" a THIRD time, if it ever comes to my small towns duplex theater!
IF... you let the sound of a shift (and I'll take your word for it being somehow incorrect!) diminish this long and extremely well done story/movie for you then YOU are looking for something to complain about!
Maybe you should have asked for your money back when that "sound" did not meet up with your standards?
Do you think the movie theater manager would "look at you funny" if you did such?
I will try and ascertain what you are talking about when "Ford vs. Ferrari" comes to my hometown here.
Me thinks "thou doest complain to much" - at least in this instance.
VaaaRoooom...
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Varmitguy.
Nope. ......ya got me wrong.
Someone asked how correct it was.......and I said it. Many odd the facts were flat wrong.
The reving and shifting is just bad editing. Like hearing a bunch so reving up and down at Bonneville ........just makes ya say....what?
In the corners and coming into them it was right.
Like seeing Patton getting killed in the middle of a battle......hey....it didn’t happen like that.
But I do like it.
Maybe I just hate the fast and furious too much.
PAX
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/03/19
I'll just wait for the book to come out.

The book is out and actually preceded the movie...it's called "Go Like Hell" by AJ Baime. I'm reading it now. Half way through and it's a good read so far.

The movie might have historical inaccuracies (especially the time line), but they do get a lot of things right, and include subtle touches like the wedges mentioned earlier. Helluva watch!...even the wife enjoyed it...forgot that her first car after graduating was a two seater (Z car)

As portrayed, the movie should have been named "Shelby American vs Ford".

Two and a half hours never went so fast!
Posted By: kelbro Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/03/19
Great movie but I was surprised that they never used the quote that has always been attributed to Shelby... ' Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?'
ChrisF: As an aside, I was a young policeman in Seattles "Ballard" area when I first me Ole Bardahl (the multi-millionaire oil additive inventor/producer) he was an interesting and industrious man and an avid boat and car racing enthusiast/promoter.
I would often take refuge on his Blue Ridge (NW Seattle) estate and write my reports in a corner of his property.
He was such a great guy and I attended his funeral many years ago.
It brought a tear to my eye when the folks that made this movie showed an original looking "BARDAHL" banner in one of the race track scenes.
I don't know for sure whether or not his "oil additive" worked but it made him an extremely wealthy man and he gave a lot back to the racing industry.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Kelbro: I am happy you enjoyed the movie and thanks for that bit of trivia.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYKcALDSl10&t=2s

Top 10 Things Ford V Ferrari Got Factually Right and Wrong
Posted By: hatari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/04/19
If you liked Ford vs Ferrari, you need to see The 24 Hour War on Netflix. True documentary of the entire story. They interview all the heavyweights of the era they can find still alive and even have voice and older fottage from Shelby. Good (great) interviews with Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, etc.

Enjoy!!

Posted By: achadwick Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/04/19

+1

We liked it so much we saw it again.
Posted By: hatari Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/04/19
Wanted to bump this for the morning crowd that might be interested in The 24 Hour War.
Was this posted on here already? Apologies if it was.

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/07/19
Birdwatcher: No I hadn't seen it but thanks to you I have and enjoyed it very much - very interesting.
Also enjoyed the additional/following clip "Leno & Damon" discuss Ford vs. Ferrari.
Thanks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: rte Re: Ford vs. Ferrari - WOW! - 12/07/19
ttt
© 24hourcampfire