Home

The Wyoming 1 A 6 Man ( Yep,6 Man Team) football title was decided yesterday in Laramie. The Little Snake River Rattlers were 9 and 0 for the season and allowed 0 points scored against them the entire season. They defeated the HEM (Hanna-Elk Mountain) Miners .....71 - 38 in yesterday’s State Championship Game.

I thought that those that have never heard of 6 Man Football might find this interesting. Very few states have schools so small, that they can only field a 6 Man team! Small towns.....another good reason to live in Wyoming! memtb
I played 8 man football in a small town Colorado high school in the 60's. Never heard of 6 man, that must be fun. Wide open playing field, lots of room to run.
We have 6 man here in Texas, field is 80 yards x 40 yards. There is a mercy rule of 45 points after halftime. Speed, speed, rules 6 man football.
Wow. I didn't know there were 6 kids in Wyoming.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Wow. I didn't know there were 6 kids in Wyoming.

What the hell do you think people do for fun there during the long cold winters? laugh
6 man is a very fun game to watch. Coach's have a great time thinking up the most strange and ingenious ideas on how to move the football.
6 man is not a slow game and usually very high scoring event.

Fun to watch.
Some of those Wyoming women could easily play football.... Lots of 8 man football here in Idaho, that great Dallas Cowboy linebacker, Vander Esch played 8 man football at Council.

Dick
There are a lot of them around Texas.

The scores do get large sometimes.
Went to visit a friend that worked in a mine @ Hanna - pretty small community...
I've never heard of 6 man. That's got to be fun to watch. Must create some very interesting strategies.
Lots of little towns around here that still have HS 6 man games.
My brother and sister in law used to own 40 acres on the east side of Elk Mountain . The oil sands mine was supposed to open up again and someone offered some big money for their 40 acres. I didn't see one single young person in Elk Mountain the day I was there. I'm sure they had to go miles to find someone willing to play football.
kwg
Oregon just had their first 6 man championship this year.
Originally Posted by memtb
The Little Snake River Rattlers were 9 and 0 for the season and allowed 0 points scored against them the entire season.

That's amazing.
Originally Posted by kwg020
My brother and sister in law used to own 40 acres on the east side of Elk Mountain . The oil sands mine was supposed to open up again and someone offered some big money for their 40 acres. I didn't see one single young person in Elk Mountain the day I was there. I'm sure they had to go miles to find someone willing to play football.
kwg

There are more resident mule deer in Hanna & Elk Mountain than there are people.
I've heard of 8 man football, never 6. I'd like to see that. I may have to check out youtube. Friday night was the 1st round of state playoff's here in GA. Teams have to win 4 playoff games just to get into the state championship game in mid December. Some of the bigger schools will dress over 100 players.
If I remember the rules correctly, once the ball is hiked everybody becomes eligible as a running back or receiver.
Here in Montana there are many 6 and 8 man teams. Many of them are teams made up of two or three small town schools combined. Quite a bit of travel involved also.
Most of these combined teams aren't very close together. Also not on paved roads. Hardly anybody ever misses a game!
The distance between two towns in my county that have combined is 43 miles paved or around 30 miles unpaved.
I think they alternate towns for practice.
MN has 9 man for the small towns. But I've never heard of 6 man. Might as well play hockey at that point.
Memtb: Yes 6 man football is alive and well in Montana also.
I have been to several of those type games - interesting and fun for the young men, and the fans, parents.
We have a six man football team (school) here in the county I live in, here in SW Montana.
Football is VERY, VERY important to the communities hereabouts.
I am glad the "Miners" scored some points there in the state championship game.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: You didn't happen to see a lot of players and fans taking a knee during the Anthem did you?
Our deer lease was in Coleman county. We went to a few Panther Creek games. Six man is a wild game.
In September of 1998, in an effort to provide the opportunity to play high school football for those in districts with very low enrollment, Iowa allowed for 8-man football. Six schools fielded 8-man teams. As time passed, the good intentions of the state fell short when they set the enrollment bar far too high for qualification as an 8-man team. Rather than honoring the intention of the class to allow participation by students in districts unable to field 11-man squads, far too many districts saw it as a way to "become competitive" (read as: achieve greater success), which has resulted in districts that are fully capable of fielding competitive 11-man teams instead fielding 8-man teams and running all over the very teams that the class was intended to benefit. The horse is out of the barn and it looks like the only viable solution is to split the 8-man class into two classes, with much more stringent enrollment requirements to qualify for the smaller of the two.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
In September of 1998, in an effort to provide the opportunity to play high school football for those in districts with very low enrollment, Iowa allowed for 8-man football. Six schools fielded 8-man teams. As time passed, the good intentions of the state fell short when they set the enrollment bar far too high for qualification as an 8-man team. Rather than honoring the intention of the class to allow participation by students in districts unable to field 11-man squads, far too many districts saw it as a way to "become competitive" (read as: achieve greater success), which has resulted in districts that are fully capable of fielding competitive 11-man teams instead fielding 8-man teams and running all over the very teams that the class was intended to benefit. The horse is out of the barn and it looks like the only viable solution is to split the 8-man class into two classes, with much more stringent enrollment requirements to qualify for the smaller of the two.

Isn’t this based on enrollment, I wouldn’t think a school above the enrollment max for 8 man could play 8 man football.
Six man is Class A in Texas 55 to 105 in high school. If a school gets above the 105 threshold they go to 2A which is 11 man football. They don’t have a choice.
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Isn’t this based on enrollment, I wouldn’t think a school above the enrollment max for 8 man could play 8 man football.

I probably expressed myself poorly. There is a cut-off that a school must be below. The problem is that they set the enrollment number far too high, with the result that there was a stampede of schools to play 8-man who have plenty of players to play 11-man. They only saw an opportunity to be successful by beating up on the schools that the 8-man class was originally intended to benefit rather than switching to 8-man out of necessity.
Ok. I understand now. The classifications have changed through the years here. When I went in late 60’s, we had 6 man, class B, 1A,2A,3A,4A. Now 1A is 6 man, 1A up through 6A, plus you have a small and large division in each classification. I think 3 teams in the small and large division go to playoffs from each district. It’s like everybody makes the playoffs. When I went only one team from each district made the playoffs. A three way tie was decided by a coin flip.
© 24hourcampfire