Home
Posted By: jnyork Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19
My wife won a $25.00 gift certificate to Golden Corral, so a few nights ago we figured we would go have supper there, haven't been in one for years. When we got to the cash register, we were astounded to find that supper for two was $38.00 bucks!!! eekGot to looking at the ticket, my glass of water was $2.75. eek Food was standard tasteless mess hall buffet, I got a piece of chicken but was so greasy I couldn't eat it. Had some veggies and a little piece of pie.

Anyway, we could have gone to a real restaurant for $38.00, no more GC for us. Used to be THE place to go for an inexpensive meal, lots of seniors went there regularly . Things have changed.

Most of the others, have not been as good.

$2.75 for water ? Insane !
Posted By: ldholton Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19
We do you enjoy an occasional trip to Golden Corral. But it's not such a cheap Buffet anymore
Ryan's buffet seems to be a little better than GC, both menu and food quality-wise. I had a friend visiting from New Zealand a few years ago, and we went to a Ryan's for lunch one day. He looked around at the loaded steam tables and the people with trays piled high and commented "No wonder most Ameicans are fat!"
Jerry
Posted By: Morewood Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19
Pffft.

Went to a breakfast buffet at Disneyland (with Disney characters for the kids) last week. Had I known it was going to cost $45.00 per person I wouldn't have gone. 4 adults and one 5 year old cost over 220 bucks. Those are some expensive pancakes.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19
How do you people f'up going to Golden Corral???

If you got charged for tap water, then youre a schmuck and shouldve went "Moesha" on them.
I took four members of my team to one last week the 4 of them cost me $61 with tax including beverages.

Most of them had never been to one before and loved it. I go from time to time and never paid for water, you drinking Perrier?
Originally Posted by jnyork
My wife won a $25.00 gift certificate to Golden Corral, so a few nights ago we figured we would go have supper there, haven't been in one for years. When we got to the cash register, we were astounded to find that supper for two was $38.00 bucks!!! eekGot to looking at the ticket, my glass of water was $2.75. eek Food was standard tasteless mess hall buffet, I got a piece of chicken but was so greasy I couldn't eat it. Had some veggies and a little piece of pie.

Anyway, we could have gone to a real restaurant for $38.00, no more GC for us. Used to be THE place to go for an inexpensive meal, lots of seniors went there regularly . Things have changed.

At the GC here, water's free, senior lunch is about 8.50, senior dinner is $13. Food's pretty good, too, although it would get pretty boring if you eat there often. The menu never changes.

I've considered putting a wild boar ring tone on my phone but if rang while we were in there, I'd be beaten to death. When they built it, they added 2" of reinforced concrete to the floor to handle the weight.
My in-laws love the place, but they live an hour away from us. The one close to us is not the best place to eat, by far. To me, there are things I don't care for. First, people breath on and put their grubby hands down in the container of knives and forks, and no telling how many have grabbed the plate you end up with. Second, if an ICE agent showed up for lunch, the place would be a ghost town. There is just better places to go eat.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19

The quality and pricing must differ from location to location because the local GC is almost always very good and nowhere near that expensive for my wife and I to eat there.

Before 4:00 pm their seniors buffet for both of us with choice of drinks is less than half what you paid and after 4:00 pm their regular supper buffet, also with choice of drinks, is still about $10 less total also for us both. No charge for tap water, either.

The local GC has been owned and actively hands-on managed by the same family for years

Posted By: jaguartx Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
How do you people f'up going to Golden Corral???

If you got charged for tap water, then youre a schmuck and shouldve went "Moesha" on them.

Come on Slum. Let's go. I'll get the camera, you get the water. smile
2.75 for water.....

Strange....

Our GC/ feedbag is da schit.
Seniors are like 8.99 for dinner.

Place you went must be doing some hokey schit under the radar.
Seems to me corparate would set price.

Google em up and ask WTF is going on at my GC.

Now that GC is mentioned I might need ta hit it this week, but Im kinda holding off for T day when khan/ wife jets out to ft carson for a week.
Me , 3 dogs , 4 cats, 1 buck tag left , rifle season, deer hunting, no complaining from ole lady about waking her up when I get up early to hunt.

Dogs gonna get alot of fridge snacks, cats gonna get terrorized with
" Get the kitty game"

GC is gtg around here.

Yours sounds like the franchise owner and or manager are doing some fllakey schitt.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19

$2.75 for a glass of water ............

I'd a pizzed it out on the floor.........
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/17/19

Even $2.75 for a soda...........

screw 'em...........

don't drink that stuff........

Just think the price of a cold draft beer...........OMG ...............
Haven't been to GC since I moved from Utah, but their rolls are worth the price of admission.
We call it "The Trough" because of the pigs who eat there. Seniors eat for about $8 from 1 - 4 pm, or about $13 for dinner. It isn't great, it varies in quality from visit to visit, but it's okay. Am what am, as we say.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
GC is, to a real restaurant, what KFC is to fried chicken, it would probably kill FB 2.

mike r
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
We call it "The Trough" because of the pigs who eat there. Seniors eat for about $8 from 1 - 4 pm, or about $13 for dinner. It isn't great, it varies in quality from visit to visit, but it's okay. Am what am, as we say.
I've been calling it the Golden Trough for years, and for the same reason. It's the highest concentration of blubber in town.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
We sometimes eat their breakfast buffet on vacations. One thing I like is that they put a bunch of their salad stuff out early. Crab salad for breakfast? Heck yeah.

That cold fake crabmeat salad on the salad bar is the best stuff they have. Their bread pudding is good too.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Ryan's buffet seems to be a little better than GC, both menu and food quality-wise.

That's been my experience too. But with chain restaurants, quality can vary with location ... and the management/people operating it.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Originally Posted by lvmiker
GC is, to a real restaurant, what KFC is to fried chicken, it would probably kill FB 2.

mike r

Tough talk for homo supporter that things he living the dearm by ordering delivered pizza ...
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've been calling it the Golden Trough for years, and for the same reason. It's the highest concentration of blubber in town.

^^^This^^^

I eat there once about every 5 years or so.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19

Yuma?
Originally Posted by ldholton

mike r

Tough talk for homo supporter that things he living the dearm by ordering delivered pizza ...

I do support you guys, even if I find you repugnant. You are welcome. Only in advanced societies is pizza delivery available, sorry about Mo.

mike r
I only go there if my only objective is to fill up. The food's all bland,the salad bar isn't very fresh, and it galls me to pay over 2 bucks for a drink. Old Country Buffet is the same way. One the other hand, there's a steak house near here where you can get a full lunch with a good burger, fries and a drink for $4.00. Steak dinner runs from about $9.00 to $15.00. It's not a date kind of place-you don't go for the ambiance. They obviously do it on volume. They're always busy, and their customer service is superb. The same folks working the line have been there for decades. Sometimes cheap doesn't always mean "no good."

mike r

I do support you guys, even if I find you repugnant. You are welcome. Only in advanced societies is pizza delivery available, sorry about Mo.

mike r
I'm sure you run your tongue like you run your mouth always on something big
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Went to the one in Yuma ONCE and it was nastified...
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
wait, what's wrong with delivered pizza? esp. if it's good pizza?
Posted By: pal Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
...Golden Corral...my glass of water was $2.75...

Come on! And you paid it?
Posted By: viking Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Geezer corral. I thought this was going to about shingle shots at the senior center.

mike r

mike r
I'm sure you run your tongue like you run your mouth always on something big

Please translate your babble so that those outside of the homoerotic community can appreciate the depth of your repartee. I find myself totally dearmed.grin

mike r
$18 a head? Must of been steak and shrimp night.

It’s a great deal for those that miss the high school cafeteria.
That's nothing.....I was watching TV this afternoon when a commercial for one of those Chicken joints (Popeye's IIRC) came on......the first thing you see is two young "men" lean across the table and kiss each other on the lips.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
That's nothing.....I was watching TV this afternoon when a commercial for one of those Chicken joints (Popeye's IIRC) came on......the first thing you see is two young "men" lean across the table and kiss each other on the lips.

Lvmiker kind of place
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Long time ago, 1989, got Caught in a real bad storm outside of bossier city, la and delayed for a couple hours on I20. We stopped late at the GC there. You cannot imagine nor unsee the fattest nastiest folks that waddle into and out of there when it’s dark and late. I wanted to puke in the parking lot. I’ve never eaten at one since.
Golden Corral sucks. Chuck-A-Rama is where it’s at.
Posted By: 35 Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Amish buffets are the way to go !

https://www.dienners.com/
Posted By: slumlord Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Still calling BULLLLLLLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT on 2.75 water

Pics of the ticket or it didn't happen
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Next time your wife wins a coupon, give it to a fat person you don't like.

$38.00 should fill you up with decent chow at a Cracker Barrel. Not AYCE, but plenty, and edible, though it's been a while since I ate at one.
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Golden Corral sucks. Chuck-A-Rama is where it’s at.
Now there's one that I haven't thought about in a long time. The nearest one is in Boise, about 130 miles from here. My dad used to like to go there.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
wait, what's wrong with delivered pizza? esp. if it's good pizza?

Can't recall if they deliver, but a deep dish from Oregano's is worth the wait.
Chester, I was going to mention Upchuck-a-Rama, but as it is a Western chain, most readers wouldn't know about them. We have both a GC and an CaR here in wonderful Ogden. The Chuck is cleaner, has booths as well as tables, and different food choices. It has islands of food instead of a buffet line, which can be a bit confusing. We have only been there once or twice because the GC is handier. I'd rate the CaR as being a rung up on GC as far as quality and appearance goes.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Next time your wife wins a coupon, give it to a fat person you don't like.

$38.00 should fill you up with decent chow at a Cracker Barrel. Not AYCE, but plenty, and edible, though it's been a while since I ate at one.

Worst meal I've had in the past several years was at a Cracker Barrel, so again, my guess is it must be a particular location thing and probably more so the kitchen staff working at the time.

I had ordered open face roast beef, the meat was dried out, stringy and almost unchewable like it had been rewarmed in microwave, then set aside and left to where it was almost room temperature, the gravy ladled over top was a pork gravy, not beef (pork loin was on the menu that night too), and the portion size of the whole meal was like it was from the child's menu (which considering the poor quality though was too much).
I was in the Boise Chuckarama years ago. I don't remember the food but I do remember a woman ahead of me. She got a tray and put a plate in the middle of it. Then she proceeded to fill the plate...and the tray. When she was done loading up, the tray needed sideboards. The food went from rim to rim, enough for 4 normal people. Yes, she weighed what you might expect her to weigh. She needed a livestock scale to weigh on.
My kids like the Gilded Trough.

I dont give em a hard time, and they get to have what they want.

Probably why they like going to Subway.

Any sort of buffet is okay with them. No one decides for them or gives them a hard time!
Posted By: Dess Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Don't go to these places...do they take EBT cards?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19

Greensburg Pa..........don't look like much.but good chow

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-patron-mexican-grill-greensburg
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19

Kanab Utah........good chow

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...obars_Mexican_Restaurant-Kanab_Utah.html
Originally Posted by Dess
Don't go to these places...do they take EBT cards?

The grocery store in town doesn't take EBT. Haven't for months.

They say that there is a problem with the card reader. I suspect the just dont want to accept them any more.

Must be a bunch of GOVT BS involved with taking EBT cards.
There’s one in ANC but I’ve never eaten there

Too many other good places to choose from.

Sounds like a viable option to dine out for those on a limited budget in a lot of your locales. 👍🏻

That’s a good thing imo.

Doesn’t seem like many of our posters here are relying on SS as their only means in retirement and that too is a good thing

But for the many seniors that are I’m glad there’s options such as GC for them
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Should be called Glutton Corral.

I gave up buffets years ago. Can't get my money's worth at any of 'em, and people (especially kids) are filthy pigs.
Good point, 2l2q. The "Senior Hour" here is pretty popular (actually 1-4 pm, I think.) The selection doesn't include the steak or ribs of the evening menu, but the food is wholesome, the choices are generous, and the price is certainly right for people who might only be eating one large meal a day.

My routine there is fairly standardized. Small helpings of Caesar and that fake krab salad, a cup of soup with cornbread. Then a piece or two of fish, maybe a few shrimp. Two vegs plus a dab of potato or mac/cheese. If I'm still hungry, a piece of chicken. I'm not a dessert eater, but their bread pudding really is good - doubly so alamode. I try to find a seat facing a window so I don't have to watch the gluttons with heaping plates of meat and nothing else. I always generously tip the poor server who has to clean up.
Posted By: Dess Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
Las Vegas used to be famous for their buffets and inexpensive meals...not any more.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19

Posted By: jnyork Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
We have decided next time we will just throw a Digiorno in the oven and kick back for the evening. grin

In hindsight, we should have just found some old beggar on the street corner and given him the gift card.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Our trip to Geezer Corral - 11/18/19
I’d be happy with dinner for two at $13 (gift certificate) but that’s just me. Heck I also consider a night out with the wife where I spend $38 for dinner a good night. The kids love GC due to having options and haven’t had any issues with the several we have been to.
Good point, 2l2q. The "Senior Hour" here is pretty popular (actually 1-4 pm, I think.) The selection doesn't include the steak or ribs of the evening menu, but the food is wholesome, the choices are generous, and the price is certainly right for people who might only be eating one large meal a day.

My routine there is fairly standardized. Small helpings of Caesar and that fake krab salad, a cup of soup with cornbread. Then a piece or two of fish, maybe a few shrimp. Two vegs plus a dab of potato or mac/cheese. If I'm still hungry, a piece of chicken. I'm not a dessert eater, but their bread pudding really is good - doubly so alamode. I try to find a seat facing a window so I don't have to watch the gluttons with heaping plates of meat and nothing else. I always generously tip the poor server who has to clean up.
There's usually a long line here starting about 3:45. Pay for the senior lunch then sit and wait for 10 or 15 min for when they put out the steaks, etc at 4.
© 24hourcampfire