Home
Posted By: 7mmbuster Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Ran across this video that brought back a lot of memories for me! grin
Having a salvage has an awful lot of opportunity for geniuses and idiots, and my brothers and I spent time in both camps! blush
We made more than a couple homemade “dune buggies” and “stump jumpers”, but nothing as overpowered as this thing.
7mm

Posted By: hanco Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Yup. Looks like a redneck death trap!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
My bud mounted a ford ranger onto a dodge power wagon frame and running gear I gave him. With a 360.

Hell, now he's building his own "trike" with half of a chevy corsica and a motorcycle.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Did you notice the DIY, fully protected, rollover proof roll bar? That thing would instantly collapse in even a minor accident.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Did you notice the DIY, fully protected, rollover proof roll bar? That thing would instantly collapse in even a minor accident.

Wouldn't matter anyway, with gas pouring out all over you while youre upside down 😄
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Bet his neighbors love him.
they'd have to love his shîthole house first, haha

Probably all kin anyway.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
a buddy and I built a similar contraption between Junior and Senior years of HS. We removed the body, and cut a foot out of the frame of a 55 Ford, welded it back together. we shortened the drive shaft, put some big tires on it, and towed it out to Jax Beach to ride the sand dunes and beach. It actually worked pretty good.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Mine was a lot shorter and only had a .283. i sold it for $300 to a friend before I got killed in it.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
When in high school me and a coup,le of neighborhood brothers got access to a 55 Pontiac Chieftain and cut the body off and shortened the frame. It had Pontiac's first V8, a and the old 4 speed hydramatic, a 287 Strato Streak, which I believe was about 220 HP to keep in line with similar Fords and Chevy's. It weight about 700 pounds. We never could get it to start. That was a god send. We would have certainly killed ourselves. Later, after we junked it, I found out we had wired it with the wrong firing order. God moves in mysterious ways.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
It appears well balanced, from stem to stern it's a POS.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
I've found that most people are just smart enough to get themselves killed before their time. Age is our savior. If were lucky to survive our first 30 years or so, as we live we see and experience things that we were too dumb to learn the easy way.
We put together a few buggies using VW engines and trans axles.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Kids are going to be upset he used their swing set for a roll bar.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Here is another one. IT is nothing short of a miracle some of these guys make it passed 19.

Big Block in a lawn mower on the road.

Posted By: Tyrone Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Bet it handles like a brick on a roller skate.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Wow, I thought it was bad when my buddy bolted a 350 hp 350 into a Vega.

He built several high horse Camaros. And one day after he swapped the SB out of a Camaro and replaced it with a high output 454, he thought the 327 belonged in this Vega hatchback he had stumbled across.

Anyway, as he was turning the last bolt on the install, a neighbor wandered over and made him an offer. He thought for a second about the inevitable outcome if he were to put the Vega on the street, and accepted the offer.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Sure as hell glad he isn't my neighbor.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
I thought this thread would be about tree stands.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
One of my friends shoe horned a 900cc Kawasaki engine into an old yard kart. Fun. He still drags it out sometimes for the kiddies (teenagers) to play with. Full roll cage with harness and keepers so the arms don't get outside the cage. No helmet no ride.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Bet it handles like a brick on a roller skate.

With steel wheels on the roller skate to-boot.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
kinda makes my bug with no doors look kinda lame
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
When I was in high school I knew a couple of guys who were the sons of a man who owned a car crusher place. Sometimes they would pull the drive train out of a car that had been brought in and weld up some contraption that was drivable.

They would come up with some crude designs,.....just weld everything together with no suspension. They would play with it for a while,..then throw it in the scrapper and weld up another one.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/18/19
Originally Posted by blindshooter
One of my friends shoe horned a 900cc Kawasaki engine into an old yard kart. Fun. He still drags it out sometimes for the kiddies (teenagers) to play with. Full roll cage with harness and keepers so the arms don't get outside the cage. No helmet no ride.

A lawsuit waiting to happen.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
I don't know man. Both the Olds powered buggy and the big block lawn mower put a big ass smile on my face. Sometimes its good to give up reason and common sense and just do something creative and stupid and fun. A high school buddy had a 1960s British land rover short WB jeep born with an anemic 4 banger. A small block 350 smartened it right up. Was hell on drive shafts though specially after he put the 38 mudders on it. I'd give both the guys here more points for creativity though..
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Yamaha R1 engine on a cart,...serious death trap. The owner of the video doesn't want it attached so you'll have to see it at the link. He really starts getting on it after he passes that cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apd1KBjLV8k
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Lifetime achievement award.
Thats some overweight middle aged Joe Dirt schit right their.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Bristoe: Yamaha R1 engine on a cart,...serious death trap. The owner of the video doesn't want it attached so you'll have to see it at the link. He really starts getting on it after he passes that cop.

Almost lost it a few times and was blowing through stop signs.. Be careful of that pedal, that thing haul ass. Enjoyed it, Bristoe
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19

He didn't put a lot of effort iinto the roll bar, did he?......
Posted By: Morewood Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
All fun and games until he T-Bones.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
He didn't put a lot of effort iinto the roll bar, did he?......
Looks like a monkey bar swing off of a swingset.
Posted By: JPro Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19

I don't know what you are all sneering at, it looks like a bucket of fun to me.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by JPro
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But that is an "oh șhit" moment.
Posted By: mcknight77 Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
I wouldn't hang around that taking pictures!
Posted By: tzone Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Sounds like a waste of a good hot rod motor to me!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Morewood
Bristoe: Yamaha R1 engine on a cart,...serious death trap. The owner of the video doesn't want it attached so you'll have to see it at the link. He really starts getting on it after he passes that cop.

Almost lost it a few times and was blowing through stop signs.. Be careful of that pedal, that thing haul ass. Enjoyed it, Bristoe

I noticed from the video that he can't really use much of that R1 motor. It doesn't sound like he ever gets it into its power band.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Homemade Deathtraps! - 11/19/19
Nothin wrong with a home made climbing deer stand.

I trusted the ones me and my bud welded more than the Warren/Sweat one I had. Which was probably made by some high as fugg, union, 3 toothed slug on a no-give-a-shît Friday afternoon.
© 24hourcampfire