Home
Simple question I hope. I got 200+ gallons today in about 4 minutes. This is the second time he hasn't left a delivery ticket in the door. I have security cameras now so I can tell if he tried and it blew away. Is 50GPM delivery in the realm of typical delivery rates?

Thanks
I don't know. But don't you have a gauge on your tank?

I have a 500 gallon tank but they'll only put 400 gallons in it to allow for expansion. Every time they fill it the gauge says 80% and the amount they put in it seems appropriate for wherever the gauge was when they started.
I get 200 gallons, it takes about 10 minutes.
I delivered #2 oil one winter; 50 gpm was normal. Not sure about gas but my guess would be 50 is about right as it stores and delivers as a liquid, I believe.
Do those propane delivery trucks warm the tanks?
Heating oil trucks have two delivery rates,
apps 50 and 100. You really want to be sure it
will fit if you are on high and have the valve at WOT. wink
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I have a 500 gallon tank but they'll only put 400 gallons in it to allow for expansion. Every time they fill it the gauge says 80% and the amount they put in it seems appropriate for wherever the gauge was when they started.

It has a gage. At 75% right now. No idea where it was, I'm on a budget plan, propane company is responsible for keeping it full enough.
I had a 100 gallon tank at our weekend place, they would only fill it to 80%.
Originally Posted by jnyork
I had a 100 gallon tank at our weekend place, they would only fill it to 80%.

I think that's pretty much universal. It's understandable that you have to allow for expansion with propane.
Originally Posted by Szumi
Simple question I hope. I got 200+ gallons today in about 4 minutes. This is the second time he hasn't left a delivery ticket in the door. I have security cameras now so I can tell if he tried and it blew away. Is 50GPM delivery in the realm of typical delivery rates?

Thanks

If you don't know what the gauge said before, and there was no ticket, why do you think you got 200 gallons?
Originally Posted by Bristoe

It has a gage. At 75% right now. No idea where it was, I'm on a budget plan, propane company is responsible for keeping it full enough.

they should be reading and recording before and after, sounds like "should" is not happening
Watched the camera video again, looked for the jump in the hose. Now it looks like 80GPM as it took about two minutes 30 seconds.
How does this budget plan work??
80% max fill is normal. I have 3-120gal tanks and it takes less than 10 minutes for them to run the fill hose to the tanks, make the connection, fill the tanks and rewind the hose. I’m not an expert but I think a 50 gallon per minute fill rate is probably pretty accurate.
Call the propane company?
Another party pooper! wink
That seems awful fast.
Slowest delivery rate I can remember from a bobtail was 40 gpm, and that was because the filter screen was plugged. The fastest truck we had was 60 gpm,

Here I believe they are required by law to provide you with a metered ticket. Should be the same there.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
80% max fill is normal. I have 3-120gal tanks and it takes less than 10 minutes for them to run the fill hose to the tanks, make the connection, fill the tanks and rewind the hose. I’m not an expert but I think a 50 gallon per minute fill rate is probably pretty accurate.

It was not unusual for me to spend 10 to no more than 15 minutes on a stop depending on the size of tank/delivery.
I worked for a propane company full time years ago and part time now when it gets cold. The trucks we use will pump a galloon a second pretty easy, can push them a little harder but it gets hard on the pump.
I found an end fill 1000 gallon tank the other day.

Make a couple of great smokers I guess.

They are rare.
Where is hank hill when you need him?!
Originally Posted by ironbender
Where is hank hill when you need him?!

Taste the meat, not the heat. I tell you what...
[quote=Bristoe]

Wouldn’t this pretty much explain the “gas and go”? I’d reckon that filling 50 customers 1/2 full is better than 25 completely full.

Maybe something like that. Either way, your plan isn’t to fill the tank it seems.
Tanks are not filled completely because there needs to be a volume of vapor at the top. As you use the vapor off the top, the remaining liquid essentially boils into more vapor.
They don't go off the gauge when filling. They stop filling the tank when it starts coming out the bleeder vent on the tank...similar to the whistle on an oil tank.

Call the office and ask for the printed ticket that they have on the truck. This will tell you how much LP you got. Should also have a time stamp and gallons on it.

I found this page on google: LPG faq page
They emailed me a scan of the ticket today. Looking at past tickets, it doesn't take long for them to drop ~200 gallons. I'm aware that the tank is never filled past 80%, I've been heating with propane for 40 years.

I thank everyone for the help. I learned a bit.
© 24hourcampfire