Home
Posted By: Raeford Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Friend was cleaning out some stuff the other day and offered a vintage container[50-60 years old] of Victor Brass Shim stock[still has the brass rolled up inside of cannister].

Can someone tell me what this would be used for?

https://www.victornet.com/category/Brass-Shim-Stock/1130.html
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Used in setting up tooling and machines in the tool & die trade.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Thanks
Used for adjusting connecting rod and main bearing oil clearance on antique engines - - - - -Model A and T Fords, Chevy 6 cylinders from 1929-53, and other engines with poured Babbit metal bearings.

It can also be used foe adjusting the fit of rifle scope bases.
Jerry
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Used in many things automotive, tool and die, and machinery trade.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Raeford
Thanks

Pm Ruger, he's a "tool and die maker" lmfao

31 years experience tack welding 10gauge mower decks
Well, that's a neat find. Shim stock is a great gunny thing, for scope bases, rings, bedding, any place you need to improve fit in a controlled manner to a known number.
Shims also rule for tramming up machinery. I just wish I could find a good supply of STAINLESS STEEL shimmy stocky.
Try stainless foil for heat treating- - - -plenty available on Ebay.
Jerry
Posted By: Texczech Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
When I worked around paper mills, some of the moter bases used something like that. Seems like it was on the winder and rewinder motor bases, but cant remember for sure. I wonder if it could be used with the Corbin swedger for making gas checks?
Posted By: Craigster Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Well, that's a neat find. Shim stock is a great gunny thing, for scope bases, rings, bedding, any place you need to improve fit in a controlled manner to a known number.
Shims also rule for tramming up machinery. I just wish I could find a good supply of STAINLESS STEEL shimmy stocky.

https://precisionbrand.com/
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

McMaster-Carr carries what you're looking for.
Posted By: Cabriolet Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/19/19
Common millwright and machinist item.

Used in aligning motors/gearboxes, line shafts, shimming big bearings and scores of other things around machinery.

I have 5 rolls of various thicknesses on the shelf in my machine shop along with sheets of precise brass shim. Never know when it is needed.

Someone mentioned stainless shim. I have pre cut stainless steel shims used in machinery alignment, they have a U shaped cutout so you can slip the shim under motor or gearbox feed. Will post a photo if needed.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Victor Brass Shim stock - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by Cabriolet
Common millwright and machinist item.

Used in aligning motors/gearboxes, line shafts, shimming big bearings and scores of other things around machinery.

I have 5 rolls of various thicknesses on the shelf in my machine shop along with sheets of precise brass shim. Never know when it is needed.

Someone mentioned stainless shim. I have pre cut stainless steel shims used in machinery alignment, they have a U shaped cutout so you can slip the shim under motor or gearbox feed. Will post a photo if needed.

We use shims specifically made for shimming motors and bearings during laser alignment. They're shaped in a rectangle with a open slot in one end and a tab on the opposite end that's stamped with the thickness. They come in kits with different thickness, different kits are wider/longer for a larger footprint. Quicker than making new shims onsite, just loosen up the mounting bolt, lift up the foot and slide the shim in or out as needed. Sitll have to be careful that dirt isn't pushed into the stack up.
© 24hourcampfire