Home
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Damn can openers - 11/20/19
Piss me off. I had an electric years ago and prefer a hand crank. Is there a damn good one out there or is it either electric or hand crank crap?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Damn can openers - 11/20/19
i like these. the rada knives are good for the money too

https://radakitchenstore.com/products/deluxe-can-opener
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Damn can openers - 11/20/19
Not used anything but a big hand crank for years.

The electric ones don't work as well, and are nasty, bacteria ridden things to get your food contaminated with.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Damn can openers - 11/20/19
P-38 or P-51- - - - - -been opening cans for years with the one I was issued in 1970 on Okinawa!
Jerry
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Damn can openers - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by rem141r

One of those will last a lifetime... Swing-a-Way makes a similar one... our local Ace Hardware carries them and they are lower priced.
Posted By: Gus Re: Damn can openers - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

One of those will last a lifetime... Swing-a-Way makes a similar one... our local Ace Hardware carries them and they are lower priced.

my grandparents were farmers.

my parents were truck farmers.

my self, i'm a gardener.

my children will eat out of tin cans.

so, a good quality can opener is timely.

an 18.50 dollar can opener might be too rich?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Damn can openers - 11/20/19
Bought my wife a hand held opener about a year ago, didn't last a full year. It's junk. I'd rather use a GI can opener than some of the hand held ones. I think I paid more than what the Rada is. May have to try that.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
I have an earlier version of this. Cuts the seam on the top of the can so the rim is not sharp as with a regular opener.

https://www.zyliss.com/store/products/zyliss-magican-red-e930035u.htm

My wife likes the old Swing A Way better, so that's what she uses.

I'd use either if that's all that was available.

Don't need electric at all.

Geno
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
this is the hand job I use......... blush

no linky ...........Pampered Chef

[Linked Image from pamperedchef.com]
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
I don’t have a link, but finally found a suitable can opener on Amazon. All I can tell you is that it has many good reviews and red handles. The cheap ones would self destruct in short order.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I don’t have a link, but finally found a suitable can opener on Amazon. All I can tell you is that it has many good reviews and red handles. The cheap ones would self destruct in short order.

? Help
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I second this.

Of course, real men just chew the can open.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
A few years ago I set out on a quest to find a good quality, hand-cranked can opener. I never found one.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
*electric* can openers? Seriously?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by ironbender

Vital if you have electric cans that need opening.
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by Gus

my self, i'm a gardener.

No, $18.50 is not too rich... but possibly being able to purchase one that's just as good locally and not need to have it shipped would be a plus for most people I think but you may disagree. Good for you.
Posted By: EdM Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
I use one of these and it is flawless. Walmart sells them. About $10 or so.

https://madeinusaforever.com/canopezmainu.html
Posted By: 700LH Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Swing a Way works well. and the wife has an electric one that takes the top of the can off.
It is handy with pull top cans you want to pour empty like Progresso soup
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19

The old USA made Swing-A-Ways were very good but now that they are made in China, not so much. That said the larger hand crank variety work better the the twist type.
I think I'll try out one of those Radas or the EZ-Does-It
Posted By: rem141r Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
folks in church and scouts sell rada as a fundraiser every year. i never bought on line and am really not sure what i paid. when i saw how well they worked, i told my wife to get me one and a set of the knives for my camp at the next fundraiser. i like it because you can cut the whole top of the can off and it works flawlessly. i open a lot of cans at camp. i've had it down there for probably 8-10 years.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Oxo

seriously...........

Pampered Chef..........
Posted By: Gus Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by Gus

my self, i'm a gardener.

No, $18.50 is not too rich... but possibly being able to purchase one that's just as good locally and not need to have it shipped would be a plus for most people I think but you may disagree. Good for you.

$18.50 for a manual tin can opener seems a little rich to me. but of course i could be wrong.

when i buy lot's of the tin can type food now, i look for the pop top opener.

sphagetti, pork & beans, various other recipes with tomato sauce.

vienna sausage, different sardine recipes, and so forth.

most of our manual openers are about 5.00 a pop.

they wear out, get dull, etc. and into the trash.

a lifetime opener for less than $20.00?

ok, i can go with that. with a gaurantee?
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by ironbender

Vital if you have electric cans that need opening.

I'm shocked...I say SHOCKED!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
One of the problem is the krappy cans nowadays. Some have so little seam that an opener can't get a bite.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Anybody ever think about the amount of tiny metal shavings and slivers you eat over a lifetime from can openers.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Get the one like Field Grade, where previous night's little bit of Alpo drops off into your pork-n-beans as you open them. The circle of life grin

Hahaha
Posted By: rem141r Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get the one like Field Grade, where previous night's little bit of Alpo drops off into your pork-n-beans as you open them. The circle of life grin

Hahaha

i wash mine after i use it. kinda germ phobic i is.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
We use the ones that cut the lid seam from the side- - - - -no sharp edges and the lid can be replaced if only part of the contents a can is used. Half a can of "no bean" chili left over from a chili dog lunch gets refrigerated and used the next day. Half a can of chili, half an onion diced up fine, a handful of shredded cheddar, and two hot dogs on buns is just right for a mid-day snack. Add a bottle of Budweiser or two, and I can be jet propelled for a couple of hours!
Jerry
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19

Nice nail color there tikkanut. Do you favor any other colors? grin
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Nice nail color there tikkanut. Do you favor any other colors? grin

ain't me............these openers leave no sharp edges/traces of tin can
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by cra1948
A few years ago I set out on a quest to find a good quality, hand-cranked can opener. I never found one.

THIS

I would pay $100 for a good can opener. I have bought pretty much everything I can find. They work for 2 or 3 cans and then they just jump off or miss spots. Might have to engineer one made of hardened tool steel
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19

My wife has a good unit in the kitchen drawer but I also keep a half dozen freds salted around the place because I know they always work.

fred = frigging ridiculous eating device.

ebay

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
I have a lifetime supply of the USA Swingaways. Always made it a habit picking them up at garage sales and flea markets when Id see new in package one.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Whichever can opener you girls decide upon it is imperative that it be color-co-ordinated with the rest of your kitchen.

Mike
Posted By: greydog Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
When we got married, fifty years ago, we got one of those Ecko can openers with the bottle opener on the handle. I think it cost about two bucks. It opened cans in our kitchens for about thirty years until it broke. Since then, we have purchased openers of all descriptions and each one works really well; for about 2 months. They are good looking, comfortable to hold, and, regardless of cost, they are a short-lived POS.
Currently, we are using a Vaughan Improved, Safety Roller opener which was in a box of camping gear I bought at a yard sale. I don't know how old it is but it likely sold for a buck fifty, new, and it works just fine. GD
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
We have used a manual Swing away for years, never a problem
Have a new spare just in case.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
I've had this one for over 17 years at the house.... https://www.amazon.com/Oneida-7718-Can-Opener/dp/B00NFLJRYG

and two of these style of openers, one at the farm and one in the camp box for probably 20 years.... https://www.acehardware.com/departm...7v-aV_QNbgaAtDnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

they continue to work great but about a half dozen times a year I gotta clean em good with a 3m sponge and spray some olive oil on them...they still turn with ease.
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Whichever can opener you girls decide upon it is imperative that it be color-co-ordinated with the rest of your kitchen.

Mike

Well........................................DUH!

Geno

PS the solution to issues like that is to go eclectic in the kitchen decor. Yellow and Red painted cabinet doors, Avocado green fridge, stainless dishwasher, basic black microwave oven and coffee maker, blue curtains., green linoleum floor, and red friggen aprons and hand towel. That should about cover most of the spectrum, no?
Gotta have the avocado green monte carlo to match all that Magic Chef chit in the trailer.

Haha

Aka Turkey Shît Green.
Use the ginsu

Duh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by JSTUART

My wife has a good unit in the kitchen drawer but I also keep a half dozen freds salted around the place because I know they always work.

fred = frigging ridiculous eating device.

ebay

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

I'm kinda liking the idea of those. Aussie surplus? Interesting take on the P-38 openers we've had here for eons.

Geno
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
The ultimate first world problem? I'm happy with the old electric can opener I inherited from my parents. It's just about worn out and if it balks I use the equally ancient Ecko (K-Mart cheap) clamp on and twist the knob can opener.

As to P-38, back when we had out of date C-rats in training, first thing was to go to the PX and get one of those stainless pocket knives with a decent can opener.

[Linked Image from specshop.pl]

Swing-A-Way.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Damn can openers - 11/21/19
Originally Posted by Valsdad

PS the solution to issues like that is to go eclectic in the kitchen decor. Yellow and Red painted cabinet doors, Avocado green fridge, stainless dishwasher, basic black microwave oven and coffee maker, blue curtains., green linoleum floor, and red friggen aprons and hand towel. That should about cover most of the spectrum, no?

Well I guess that works if yer one of those "rainbow people"...............

Mike
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
The old Swingaway pattern, hand cranked, made to original specs, in Missura...

https://www.steuby.com/can-opener.html
Posted By: kingston Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by 5thShock

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Everyone got one for Christmas a few years ago.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by 5thShock

That is one damned fine tool.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
Vienna sausages don't need no can opener

Assauge on that (i have no idea what that word means)

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
P-38 or P-51- - - - - -been opening cans for years with the one I was issued in 1970 on Okinawa!
Jerry

Nothing better.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
We use the ones that cut the lid seam from the side- - - - -no sharp edges and the lid can be replaced if only part of the contents a can is used. Half a can of "no bean" chili left over from a chili dog lunch gets refrigerated and used the next day. Half a can of chili, half an onion diced up fine, a handful of shredded cheddar, and two hot dogs on buns is just right for a mid-day snack. Add a bottle of Budweiser or two, and I can be jet propelled for a couple of hours!
Jerry

Yes, Momma's is electric powered and made by Hamilton Beach. We have only been using it a couple months, sp I can not speak to durability. But so far it is the cat's pajamas.

And yes, a good manual can opener is vital in the camp trailer.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
Dollar general today $2 on clearance. Wife ordered a nice one on Amazon that a few of you guys recommended but ran in today for a light bulb and picked one up for the time being.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Well I guess that works if yer one of those "rainbow people"...............

Mike

Geno's more Thunder and ligntning than rainbow!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Jerry

Yes, Momma's is electric powered and made by Hamilton Beach. We have only been using it a couple months, sp I can not speak to durability. But so far it is the cat's pajamas.

And yes, a good manual can opener is vital in the camp trailer.

I bet we have been using our HB opener over a decade, so far so good.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
I have one in the link below and have used without fail for 40yrs, Clean with a toothbrush and lube.

https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Craft-21118-2PK-Compact-Butterfly/dp/B007UZ0FMQ/ref=sr_1_141?crid=2SPTM7SRM7PJF&keywords=mechanical+can+opener&qid=1574451513&sprefix=mechanical+can+oppener%2Caps%2C969&sr=8-141
Posted By: mathman Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
I've been using one like this, works like a charm.

https://www.target.com/p/good-cook-black-good-cook-safe-cut-can-opener/-/A-13370821
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: Damn can openers - 11/22/19
My favorite has always been a 22LR. Or 223.
© 24hourcampfire