Home
Posted By: Valsdad Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
To be married to the same woman? shocked

Askin' for a friend. wink

Geno
I will let you know in another 5.5 years.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Depends on the woman.... and you....and......
Not to me. We celebrated our 20th in September. If she wasn't such a wonderful woman, and I didn't have a winning personality and rugged good looks, it could have been an eternity. smile
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Staying tuned.
Posted By: poboy Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Forty+ here.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Would that be American years or New Zealand years?

Theirs are different, being from south of the equator, no?

Do they spell "color" colour like their British relatives?

Geno
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Staying tuned.

There's a debate going on.

The ceremony was in the Eastern time zone. So there's a 3 hour earlier deal goin on there.

Then there are the intervening Leap Years. Do they add days, or make no difference? Could be they've actually been married even longer? Can that be used as an excuse for not remembering the happy day?

Geno
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
The first 20 were the hard ones, the second 20 were the broke ones. We're only halfway into the next set, but these are the golden ones.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

Yep. Everything is weird. Random U's everywhere.......

Geno

Yep. Everything is weird. Random U's everywhere.......

Long as it's not a U turn at the wrong time, on the wrong road.

A few extra letters in a word ain't nothing.

Geno

PS, them dang Canucks though, pronouncing "boat" like "boot" though, drive a man nuts if he ain't already there.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The first 20 were the hard ones, the second 20 were the broke ones. We're only halfway into the next set, but these are the golden ones.

Rocky, for the couple in question, the first 10-15 were the broke ones. As in living in crappy RV trailer houses, 100+ year old rentals, driving old vehicles (as in the newest one was 16 years old), and paying off school loans while trying to stay employed year round.

The last 5 or so.............not so bad.

Geno
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Double that, add another twelve soon for my bride, and I.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
I worked with a guy once that had been married many times. I went to work one day and said that today was my 27th wedding anniversary. He said "WHY".
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Double that, add another twelve soon for my bride, and I.

I should live so long.

We got a late start.

But, today we get to go to a restaurant....................one that even says "Reservations Suggested" in their ad in the local weekly paper.

Geno
Posted By: hanco Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Married 33. Ain’t long at all
Posted By: krp Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
The first 10 were longer than the next 30...

Said a friend...

Kent
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
26 yrs of dealing with 4 worthless stepsons is....... 2 meth heads, and oldest one in prison for 14 yrs. one back in the house because of material problems. youngest stepson 32 oldest 42. but they don't do anything wrong in her eyes.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
26 yrs of dealing with 4 worthless stepsons is....... 2 meth heads, and oldest one in prison for 14 yrs. one back in the house because of material problems. youngest stepson 32 oldest 42. but they don't do anything wrong in her eyes.

How is your arm/burn?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19

You mis-spelled "slaves".
Our first twenty flew by.
Posted By: hanco Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19

I couldn’t-wouldn’t have put up with that. They have probably stolen anything that wasn’t tied down
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Looking back, I don't know where the time (42 years) have gone.
My wife of 35 years passed away in 2006.. Since that time has been an eternity .. The 35 seems like the blink of an eye...
First 20 we moved 28 times. Second 20 , only 3 times . Last 10 only 2 times. First 20 was a long time. Second 20 just cruised along. Last 10 seems like weeks.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
Still doin' my first 20 years hard time.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
25 years ago I might of said yes, now after 45 it doesn't seem long at all
Well, I'll make up my mind after a nice anniversary dinner tonight.

An hour in the car together, both ways, can always change my mind.................................and hers! laugh

Geno
With the first one I only made it nine. Twenty would have been a disaster. Second one did 21 1/2. Had ups and downs, but didn't seem like that long. She basically decided she didn't want to be married. To anyone. This one we have been married twelve years, but together fifteen. Seems like it has gone by in a blink. Looking forward to making twenty and then as long as we can after that.
Posted By: hatari Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
If you have a good one, 20 is nothing. I have a good one!
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
52 here
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/23/19
I am going on 30, so no---
Originally Posted by deerstalker
First 20 we moved 28 times. Second 20 , only 3 times . Last 10 only 2 times. First 20 was a long time. Second 20 just cruised along. Last 10 seems like weeks.

Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Roscoe said living with the same woman all the time is akin to scratching a place that don't itch anymore!!

eek crazy blush
Posted By: Brazos Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Can't remember what 20 felt like, that was 26 years ago.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
I've been alive 34. Been with the wife for 14 of them. Hope for as many as I can get.
Posted By: EdM Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
A solid 32 years this past June. As I traveled so much due to my career she managed the boys, house, bills, etc. Her son's adore her. I couldn't imagine anything better.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Being married to the same woman for 20yrs may seem like a long time if you cannot resolve your problems.

Everybody has problems, it's how you deal with them that matters.

If you both make sacrifices, 20 yrs will fly by. If only one does, you won't make it to 20.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
I'm 3/4 of the way through my second 20. I don't even bother looking both ways when I cross the street anymore.

Actually, it is good. We've had some battles like everyone but we never considered not being together.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Passed that mark last fall
Posted By: Ward Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Coming up on twenty years with this wife. Some years were longer than others but things have smoothed out and we're doing well.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
With or without puzzy?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19

Geno

Oh, yeah. So, did yer wife say it was a long time?
20 years for me was a blur of happiness and contentment, still grateful for that.

Then she told me one day the person I had known was gone forever, that was six years ago, so far she has proven to be right.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
20 years for me was a blur of happiness and contentment, still grateful for that.

Then she told me one day the person I had known was gone forever, that was six years ago, so far she has proven to be right.

Does she have some type of mental illness? To change so drastically doesn’t seem rational.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Does she have some type of mental illness? To change so drastically doesn’t seem rational.
Look at the key words in your own post and you answer your own question.
It might not seem rational although there could be a rational explanation.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
40 plus here. I worked in the oil patch for half of that either on the north slope or in Russia so the times at home I try and fit into her life rather than her into mine. Seems to work.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Her family believes she does, and they would be more objective judges than me.

It has been roughest on my son, growing up they were close and when he was grown and out of the house they would often meet for lunch. Suddenly that all stopped. One time after not even receiving a text for a month he drove over before work and waited outside her apartment for an hour just to check on her. When she came out and saw his car next to hers she greeted him with a cold and suspicious “How long have you been here?”

Likewise she does not often take the time to see or interact with our granddaughter, which is probably a good thing at this point. One time when she had her she picked up some guy she was seeing, which sent both me and my son ballistic. That was some years back, she ain’t pulled that since.

This person she has become bears no relation to the kind and actively Christian woman who was my wife.

Since this all went down I’ve heard of a few similar cases, I have a coworker who’s mom did the same thing, twenty years later she’s still gone.

My guess is menopause-related personality change, hormonal in origin. Does it rise to the level of a mental illness? That’s a tough one. She still works (nurse) and functions, doesn’t appear to be an alcoholic or druggie, just a lost ability to feel normal human affections.

One thing I will say is beware of toxic friends. Through her dance classes she fell in with The Witches’ Cabal (my term), toxic older women encouraging her to leave. I dunno if hanging with people like that is a cause or a symptom, but if your missus ever does, watch out.

I realize how friggin' lucky I was to have met my wife. The first 20 years went by like a blur. We're closing in on 30 years together now, and I can't wait to see what the next 20 years has to offer. I'm a very lucky man.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Not when you're married to your best friend.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Geno

Oh, yeah. So, did yer wife say it was a long time?

When I asked her she laughed ...................heartily!

Geno
This, married 28 years this September.
24 years seems so long ago I can't remember being single.
I do remember that being with her is better.

On the other hand,
"where has the time gone"?
Posted By: Otter Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Should have asked me 23+ years ago smirk.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Is 20 years a long time? - 11/24/19
Can't speak to 20, but 19 has been just fine.

Ask me in October of '20.
© 24hourcampfire