Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Another Western - 11/25/19
Annie get your gun.........knew about it, never saw it. Not terribly big on musicals, but it gives a few more smiles than I would have imagined. Significantly, it is very politically incorrect. I recommend it if you have a bit of spare time.

Don't let your kids see it as it illustrates stunt shooting and poor gun safety practices.

OTOH, she used a Winchester 1890 and a Stevens 44, both of which I have. Mebbe I should try some stunt shooting too?
Posted By: hanco Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
I saw it years ago
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
Somehow I missed it. Was 3 when came out. Still smilin'.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
We'll be needin' the vid, once you perfect that over the shoulder w/mirror thing.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
Lets all do the Chuckwalla Swing!!!!

Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
Kaywoodie - excellent!

But Annie Get Your Gun has some of the best of Irving Berlin. My two girls sing "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" all the time
And "They say that Falling in Love is Wonderful" is an underrated masterpiece of the American Songbook. This movie made my girls want to go shooting with me.

On the other hand, Wagonmaster is one of the greatest.

Elder :"I thought you never killed a man!"

Travis: "That's right sir. Only snakes."

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
Originally Posted by dubePA
We'll be needin' the vid, once you perfect that over the shoulder w/mirror thing.

That's old school. I'm working on the backwards under the crotch shot. Will put the video up once I get it nailed.
Wagon Master is one of John Fords greatest.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by dubePA

That's old school. I'm working on the backwards under the crotch shot. Will put the video up once I get it nailed.

Sounds like it has a good probability of "it" getting nailed.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
Annie get your gun.........knew about it, never saw it. Not terribly big on musicals, but it gives a few more smiles than I would have imagined. Significantly, it is very politically incorrect. I recommend it if you have a bit of spare time.

Don't let your kids see it as it illustrates stunt shooting and poor gun safety practices.

OTOH, she used a Winchester 1890 and a Stevens 44, both of which I have. Mebbe I should try some stunt shooting too?

Do it!

'tis fun!

I did that for a few years. Got paid some decent money for doing it, too.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Do it!

'tis fun!

I did that for a few years. Got paid some decent money for doing it, too.

Were you ,,,,,,,, Bronco Barry???!!!???
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Another Western - 11/25/19
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Nearly!

Shooting a balloon a guy was holding between his knees as I ran by on my horse... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Another Western - 11/25/19

Nearly!

Shooting a balloon a guy was holding between his knees as I ran by on my horse... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ain't no way.................or enough money........cause I don't trust any man to shoot that good............lol.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Another Western - 11/26/19
I never kneecapped anyone... whistle

I've given that athletic stuff up. Now I just trick shoot boar hogs... laugh
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Another Western - 11/26/19

Wasn't the knee I was worried about. I was afraid you might shoot too high.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Wasn't the knee I was worried about. I was afraid you might shoot too high.

laugh

With me, a shot at the knees endangers both! LOL
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Another Western - 11/26/19
Recognized Ben Johnson......and the wagon master from Rio Lobo.
Good gosh....Rio Bravo!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Another Western - 11/26/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ben Johnson was never a big star. Mainly just bit parts with a few starring roles. In lots of John Wayne/John Ford stuff. He was originally a Rodeo Star that got into stunts and then acting. He has a big part in one of the best westerns ever made, The Wild Bunch. He was from just south of where I live. There's a museum to him down there either already opened or about to.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Another Western - 11/26/19
Pretty much the entire John Ford Stock Company is in that flick, plus "Matt Dillon" there at the end of the clip.

I'll give an all expenses trip to shoot trout w/Big Stick, if anyone can name them all. No lookin' chit up,neither.
My buddies favorite actor is Ben Johnson.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Another Western - 11/26/19

Wifey loves Ben Johnson!

He was a good guy.

One of my friends used to rope with him. They were friends a long time. Ben's a real cowboy. You can't fake that for the movies.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Ben Johnson was never a big star. Mainly just bit parts with a few starring roles. In lots of John Wayne/John Ford stuff. He was originally a Rodeo Star that got into stunts and then acting. He has a big part in one of the best westerns ever made, The Wild Bunch. He was from just south of where I live. There's a museum to him down there either already opened or about to.

What about "The Lion" ???

๐Ÿ˜‰

When I was a kid my Brittany Spaniel was named after him.

I recognized Ben, Harry Carey Jr., and Ward Bond out of the dancers. I couldn't be sure on the bearded guy, but thought it was Tim Holt. On the three bad guys, of course there was James Arness, and the other flanker was Mose Harper and I can't quite recall the middle guy's name...the one who was wounded.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

What about "The Lion" ???

๐Ÿ˜‰

I shouldn't have said "bit parts". He started out with bit parts and worked into supporting parts so mainly was a supporting actor evidenced by his win for Best Supporting Actor as Sam the Lion in The Last Picture Show. Personally, as far as books, I liked Texasville better. The Last Picture Show was a better movie though.
I was funninโ€™ with ya Ethan! ๐Ÿ˜
Posted By: jfw042 Re: Another Western - 11/26/19
Always enjoyed Ben Johnson's movies, but will never forgive him for starting the californication of Montana. He "developed" a lot of land around Ennis in the '70's. Copmpany was known as "Ben Johnson's Montana Properties". Still liked his acting though.
I was funninโ€™ with ya Ethan! ๐Ÿ˜
My Great Uncle and Aunt had a general store outside Douglassville, Texas. They sold Lion gasoline.
Posted By: drover Re: Another Western - 11/26/19
Ben Johnson was the real deal, ranch raised and when he delivered a string of horses to Hollywood a little luck happened and he was all good after that. Do a google seach and you can find lots of interesting info on him - definetly not your average Hollywood cowboy type. Just one of the good "ol boys" who got lucky.

drover
© 24hourcampfire