Home
I go to a Barber shop, my boy goes to some damn place where they have a bunch of big tittied women cutting hair. I pay 12.00, he pays 30.00.

What do you all do?
Wife cuts mine

So yeah, big tittified womern category
Buzz my own with clippers and No.1 guide attached

Wife sometimes touches up afterwards.
I cut my own, but then I’m not real fussy about style.
Bought a pair of dog clippers at southern states about 15 years ago, if I remember, they were about 30 bucks. Hang my head over the trash can and shave it off. Aint got enough hair left to pay a barber. They charge as much to hunt it as to cut it.
I haven't had a haircut since about 1980, except for when I cut my ponytail off with my EDC knife in 2018 to fulfill a promise I made. It's now well on it's way to being a proper length again.

During the intervening years, it was trimmed a half in so at times to remove dead ends with the same small scissors I use to occasionally trim my beard which has not been completely removed from my face since about 1979.

So there, I pay no-one for my personal grooming (or lack thereof laugh )

Geno

PS, for the bargain price of $10 each , I can provide anyone interested with the methods I use to accomplish monthly (or more frequent) savings of $12, or $30 in the case of those requiring large breasted assistance. PM me and I can tell you where to send the Money Orders.

PPS pass this information on to your male relatives and friends. I am not restricting my knowledge to Campfire members only.
Wife cuts mine too.
Cut my own.

Have for 25 years.

But there ain't nuthin' wrong with big tiddied women either. smile
I cut my own. Wife trims what I miss.
I had the same barber from 1963 at the age of 6, until 2010 when he retired. It was a tough year because my favorite old style hardware store closed that year also. I had been going to them both for about the same length of time. I still don't have a favorite hardware, and I was forced to drive 3 miles to a lady barber, and she's the one now. She does women and men's hair, but it is still just a barber shop. $12.00 a trip.
Old fashioned barber shop, run by and for MEN. Smells like Pinaud's.
Barber shop, $10.00 hair cut!
Wife cuts mine.
I've buzzed my own for about 20 yrs, #2 on top and #1 on the sides. Before that, I was paying a barber to do the same thing. He retired and I decided to take it from there and save the money.
Barber. After tip, $18.00 for beard and what's left of the rest of the hair on my head. Includes a straight-razor neck shave and neck/back massage.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Buzz my own with clippers and No.1 guide attached

Wife sometimes touches up afterwards.

Same here. I haven’t paid to have it cut in 25 to 30 years. But I use a no. 8 attachment (one inch).
Wife does what's left of mine, simple buzz cut.
Haven't even seen a barber shop in years. My wife cuts mine--mostly because she can't stand my selfie buzz cuts
Lady barber -- 15 bucks, plus tip.
I've done a lot of drinking in a saloon...didn't know you get a haircut there as well.😁
Girl Friend does mine.
Originally Posted by hanco
I go to a Barber shop, my boy goes to some damn place where they have a bunch of big tittied women cutting hair. I pay 12.00, he pays 30.00.

What do you all do?

Salon. Over the years I have been to both. My experience with barber shops is pretty bad. I hope to never see the inside of another one. I've had really bad $6 barber shop haircuts up to really bad $35 beautician haircuts. We've got a small chain, salon perhaps, that does a decent haircut for $20. They do what I want rather than telling me what to want. And they don't wave a damned straight razor around my face. Perfect.

Tom
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Cut my own.
High and tight every couple months.
Trim in between.

Pretty good at it actually.
I get mine cut in a local barbershop in town 13 miles from the farm. He opened about 9 years ago and does a fine job. Once a month I go to the commissary and if I need a trim I'll visit the military barbershop. My local shop charges 13.00 but I always give him a 20. He's a fine young man who I appreciate.
I use a dull rusty razor with beard butter on my big noggin.

My pony,however, gets to go to the beauty saloon. We just love that pony.
4 generations of my family all used the same barbershop. The second owner retired 10 years ago and it closed. I used a stylist for a while and my most recent barber Maria (she is a stylist to) does a great job. She is from Cuba and loves America. She gets a good tip.
My barber passed away. I now go to a gal who cuts my hair. Her sign says that she is a beautician, not a magician. I really like the way she cuts my hair. She also hunts deer and carries on good conversations. She does not, however, serve alcohol, so I guess given the two choices, she must be a barber. She only charges $12 and I give her $15.
I go to a family type haircut place. They do men, women and kids. $20 after the tip. I used to go to old school barbers, but they got old and retired. The barber is a dying breed.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I haven't had a haircut since about 1980, except for when I cut my ponytail off with my EDC knife in 2018 to fulfill a promise I made.

Geno

Billy Ray Cyrus? Mullet Man??? 😄😄
No barber left in our small town/community. Friends wife has a 1 chair barber shop/beauty salon about 3 miles from the house. She charges $15 to cut my hair.
I cut my own. When I tell people that I always say "thank you for not saying, yes, I can tell."

this time of year......the garage.......wife trims what I have left......... cry
I have had one barber shop cut since we were married. My wife cuts it.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I haven't had a haircut since about 1980, except for when I cut my ponytail off with my EDC knife in 2018 to fulfill a promise I made.

Geno

Billy Ray Cyrus? Mullet Man??? 😄😄

Mullet?

Not just no............................HELL NO!

I ain't no Mullet Man.........................

Folks round here might think I was from TN or some such. Can't have that now, can we.

I was thinkin' I might shave the sides, get me some egg whites and Elmer's glue, and make me a 15" tall spiky Mohawk though.

Geno
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My barber passed away. I now go to a gal who cuts my hair. Her sign says that she is a beautician, not a magician. I really like the way she cuts my hair. She also hunts deer and carries on good conversations. She does not, however, serve alcohol, so I guess given the two choices, she must be a barber. She only charges $12 and I give her $15.

Even without having a barber, it's

Better goin' to the beautician than the...............................

mortician!

Geno
I cut my own hair for the last 18 years.
I went to a beautician for years until I started chemo in October and it all fell out. Will go back if it ever
grows back. Nice young lady, easy on the eyes but a family friend for years. $27 including tip . Wife goes to her also.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Just think how much money you've saved over the years. Like a vehicle that's paid for, money in the bank.
Barber. I am close to just buying a set of clippers and doing my own.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Just think how much money you've saved over the years. Like a vehicle that's paid for, money in the bank.

And like all of us who have done something in the way of money-saving over the years, such as not smoking, I bet that he can't point to a pile of money and declare, "There's what I've saved by not doing that". We manage to spend the money in some way.
I did get mine lightened up a bit what......four weeks ago. Comes in thick and gets bulky. Same place the ol lady goes.

Had it halfway to my ass and the ol lady was b*tchin.

Above shoulders now
The woman's beauty shops. Those cigarette smoking, spiked, awful bad red dyed, tattooed, pieced, women that are to make our wives look good.
Wahls home barber kit
prop up a little mirror
cold beer in the garage
#1 all over

Done deal. but now I have my wife check to make sure I got it all.

One time, down at the roadhouse I used to frequent the big tiddied bartender said, "hey Morewood, you got a big stripe going up the back of your head."
I love those TaTa's rubbing on me during a hair cut.
Even pat her on the butt once in a while.

Been married 24 years (I say, about 30 with the wind chill),
So it's all Kosher.

Never paid for a haircut in my life.
Mom was a beautician (no on the boobs and but, you pervert),
she taught my wife.

I want her to teach my girls.
Just a neat thing to be able to do well. Not hard, just need to know how.

$20........money well spent

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
I go to an older lady who does about 50/50 men and women. She gives great men's cuts for $13.00. I always give her a $20.00. She takes some extra care doing my cuts.
In the 70's it was popular to go get your hair cut at the beauty shop. That was when the blow dry look was in.

Our family had friends that owned a beauty shop where I got mine done.

I was just a teenager, and walked in and one of the ladies sat me down and asked me what I wanted today?

I quickly replied a shampoo, haircut and blow job!

Errr... I mean Blow-Dry! blush blush

You coulda heard a pin drop in there.... Then all the ladies burst out laughing! laugh

In fact they snickered the whole time I was there. They even laughed louder when the door closed as I left. whistle

That was my last haircut in that place.
I can't get Ray Steven's hair cut song to post.
My wife's a licensed hair dresser with nearly 40 years experience.
I go to a barber who works in a salon, the only guy there besides the owner. Lots of nice things to see in the mirrors while he does a really good job, and he's decent to talk to. I think he still charges only $15 but I give him $25 a cut and $100 at Christmas. He's a fly angler. One year, I gave him a good vest. This year I'm going to give him a nice flyrod and reel.
Back in the 1980's I started going to a barber shop on a regular basis. Before that I either cut my own or made a rare appearance at a barber. Got my regular barber about 1982 and I still go to him. Except he closed his shop about 6 years ago, retired, and he now works part time at another shop Fridays and Saturdays by appointment. Once he stops for good I'll just continue to go to that shop because the owners a hell of a nice guy. ( I only patronize down to earth, nice guy barbers ).
The same lady that cuts my hair cut's my wife's hair. I don't even remember what she charges, I give her $20 which includes the tip. I just remember one time I gave her the $20 and she asked if I wanted change. She cut's it the way I want it mostly, and most cut the way they want. She trims up the beard and I'm good with it.
One of the budget chains where I can get in and out as quick as possible. It's not like you can polish a turd so why waste time and money? Anyway, the difference between a good hair cut and a bad haircut is 3 days.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Cut my own.

Have for 25 years.

But there ain't nuthin' wrong with big tiddied women either. smile

^^^This^^^

Cheap set of Wahls clippers. Buzz it all off every 2 weeks.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Same one I use. Except I threw all those guards away.
$12 plus a tip at the Navy Exchange on base for a “military do” 😊
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Same one I use. Except I threw all those guards away.

Same set for me. No plastic needed. Have done my own every Saturday for past 27 years. Oh... And Tikka, you over paid...
I can't get Ray Steven's hair cut song to post.

How's this:

Geno
I go to a barber, an old vintage looking place that takes me back to my younger days.....10.00 a pop plus a tip
The boys and I just had ours cut, beards trimmed (them) and a straight razor shave (me) last week. Free cocktails as well. We were there for just over an hour. The head scrub and neck massage are great. All trimmers damn good looking too.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by smokepole

And like all of us who have done something in the way of money-saving over the years, such as not smoking, I bet that he can't point to a pile of money and declare, "There's what I've saved by not doing that". We manage to spend the money in some way.

Sure we do. But not on haircuts. $20 here, $50 there, it adds up.
I get two hair cuts a year. It costs about 15 bucks a time.

Probably start cutting my own hair. I have a Wahl trimmer I use for the boys. Just as well cut my own hair I guess.
$14 barber cut. The guy is also a hunter and has many different outdoor magazines.

That's what I've been doing for the last 10 years. It definitely saves money and time. I also hate barber shops...I tend to run very warm and sweat heavily when there is no air circulation. Put me in one of those plastic gowns and I'm sweating before the first cut. Since most of the barbers in my area didn't speak much English, I had a hard time explaining that I wasn't nervous, I just sweat like a pig. So cutting my own solves a number of problems.
The lady across the road cuts my hair with a #3 or #4 all over about every 2 months. Charges $10, I give her $12. She's kind of an anti government right wing nut,so we discuss politics and law. She was a supporter of Cliven Bundy, likes Trump and so on. She is into animal rescue, but has no problem with me offing livestock chasing dogs and she borrows my live trap to capture coons eating her cat's food. Then turns the coon over to the colored folks around here that eat them.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I get two hair cuts a year. It costs about 15 bucks a time.

Probably start cutting my own hair. I have a Wahl trimmer I use for the boys. Just as well cut my own hair I guess.

C'mon Jim, let the boys cut yours. What could go wrong?
Neither. Taught myself to cut my own hair 30 years ago. Must have saved a pile of money by now. I should buy another gun.
The older boy would probably do a good job...he can be quite meticulous.

I did give him a scallop hair cut once as a joke.........I did fix it later. He would probably remember that.

[Linked Image from p.vitalmx.com]

Like that....sort of a reverse Mohawk.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Neither. Taught myself to cut my own hair 30 years ago. Must have saved a pile of money by now. I should buy another gun.

Might have saved enough by now to buy that Jack O'Connor .222 that's up for sale.

Geno
Old school barber for me for years until just recently when my guy had to undergo rotator cuff surgery and closed his shop. Tried a new barber and got the worst haircut of my life. Now I'm going to the stylist my wife uses - tall blond Russian gal and a real sweetheart. Does a great job with clippers and is the same price as my original barber.
Yes, When I Take My Wife...
My wife went to school so she has been doing mine and the kids.

I cut her hair when she wants it shortened.

Fun is had when i tell her next time i will keep both eyes open.
Or if you stand on the other foot it don't look so bad.

I don't have to worry about a bad haircut because if you don't look you don't know. grin
I go to an old time real barber shop for a high n tight every 2 or 3 weeks.old Italian guy has 2 chairs in the V.F.W. $12.00 plus 3 for tip so $15.00. It took me a while to find a real barber that shuts the hell up and just gives me a haircut without the 3rd degree.I don t like being asked alot of personal questions,and these guys DO NOT like being told to shut up and just cut hair.
For special events I call Marty Stuart's hairstylist.
Ron's Barber Shop
"The Warden" has cut mine for ~ 20 years, now.
Set it as low as possible - and mow it!

That all started the day I had to wait 2 hours, or so to get a parking space near their shop. Then 2 hours in the waiting room. Next, I figured out the barber lady was trying to cover an acre with 4 cornstalks. And realized I had to replace my comb (lost one every year going around fence in the spring)

I'd just had ENOUGH ! smile smile smile
I’ve been cutting my own about every two weeks since ‘86. There was a continual learning curve for a few years, but now I can cut my hair exactly like I want.

I haven’t tried to calculate the savings, I love jumping in the shower right after my haircut rather than driving around with hair in my collar.
Just keep it shaved no problem. Cheers NC.
I cut mine and the boys at home. Wife makes sure to take the girls to a salon. Probably safer that way.
I have the reverse Mohawk down pat.
Same barber for years every 10 to 14 days... a fellow bow hunter and friend...$22.00 tip included.
Wife does mine.
My barber "Shakey Pete", a local legend, passed a year ago, at age 96! A WW II vet, he worked in his shop from 1946 until just weeks before he passed.
He only charged $7.00 for a haircut, with the dirty jokes thrown in for free. After he passed, I started going to another shop in town (I guess you could call it a salon). She was charging $17, plus I gave her a $3 tip (same as I used to give Pete), but when she upped it to $18, I started cutting it myself. Results aren't bad, and I've already saved myself over $100 so far this year.
Lots of guys or wives do it, more than I would have thought!
Originally Posted by hanco
Lots of guys or wives do it, more than I would have thought!

I wouldn't let mine anywhere near me with scissors or a clipper. wink
I've cut mine for 18 years, with my wife cutting the back for me. I wear it fairly short, so it's an easy 15min deal about every three weeks.
Girlfriend now wife went to cosmetology school in '75, shes' been doing all the manscaping around here ever since...... with only 3 exceptions..............
i got tired of paying for haircuts last Spring. I told my wife she ought to cut it. bought a trimmer kit.
1st cut, not so great. She got better though and does great now.
$40 investment has already saved $120+ in haircuts.
But, it came with "a trade".
She bought a kit for waxing. Scary the first time.
But, Now, I have become an amateur esthetician.
I wouldn't mind if she cut someone else's hair, but she demands that I cannot under any circumstance start a Brazillian waxing business.
Barber.... The 'quick-cuts' outfits want (1) too much info and (2) want you to 'check in' with yer 'smart' phone... No to all of that..
Barber. My buddy owns it.
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
i got tired of paying for haircuts last Spring. I told my wife she ought to cut it. bought a trimmer kit.
1st cut, not so great. She got better though and does great now.
$40 investment has already saved $120+ in haircuts.
But, it came with "a trade".
She bought a kit for waxing. Scary the first time.
But, Now, I have become an amateur esthetician.
I wouldn't mind if she cut someone else's hair, but she demands that I cannot under any circumstance start a Brazillian waxing business.

That is damn funny!
Been doing mine for years. Simple buzz cut all round. The beard is a bit more complicated but at least the mistakes grow back out. My wife went to this salon that the owner was dating my stepson. Free cuts and perms. She talked me into going a couple of times and while buzz cuts are simple enough, she did wonders with my sometimes scraggy beard. Sometimes the mistakes do grow back all they well. The cuts and trims were always free. I'm thinking of getting a new trimmer. The one I have now I bought at Sears around 1969 or 70 and it's getting a bit ragged around the edges.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by tzone
Barber. My buddy owns it.
You go once a year when enough hair grows to cut?? laugh laugh

(FWIW, I'm about in the same boat... )
© 24hourcampfire