Home
Posted By: hanco How big is your house? - 12/03/19
One of the other threads claimed the average square footage was 2600. I’m curious, I’ll average this out in a week or so. Two of my kids are 3000 living area, the other is 2000 living area. Since our average age is middle 60’s I’m guessing we are less than 2600.

I’m a little short, 2400 living area, more than Wifey and I need.

How big is your house-living area?

I drew out the plans for our present home of about 16 years.
I wanted about 2400.
A problem came up that the draftsman made that my builder caught.
I was to go overseas the next day and had only hours to fix it.
I made a quick change that satisfied my builder and myself that made it about 2500.
But, as we were building the upstairs, I added extra rooms and ended up at 2700.
Posted By: Redneck Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
About 2,000 ft/sq..
Posted By: tzone Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2080SF. There are 8 of us....

It's tight but we make it work. I'd like to retire someday instead of make house payments. So, we suck it up for a few years. Daughter off to college in a year or so. Then, 2 more, 2 years after that. They'll be plenty of room then.
Posted By: lightman Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Single story, a little less than 2000 sq ft heated and cooled. Oversize 2 car garage.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
I've got 2000 living space and another 2000 in an unfinished basement with a 2 car attached garage. It's way more than the two of us need. But it was the house that was on this piece of property I wanted. The unfinished basement is one of my favorite areas. Most of it is a wide open rectangle. with poured concrete walls. If I can come up with a good backstop, it would make a nice, indoor 20 yard pistol range.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2600 sq. feet. Big for just me and the wife, but we have holiday dinners here and the grandkids like it. Plus, I hate moving. I'll stay here til I'm too old to cut the grass and plow the driveway when it snows.

Ron
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2040. But we're talking about building something else.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Single story ranch, 3 bedroom 2 full baths and a 2 car garage on almost an acre, 1700 sq ft inside.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2900 2 story 2 car garage on 2.5 acres.
Just the wife and I.
4 bedroom 2 bath.
Posted By: Raeford Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Too much for us empty nesters....
We also use much of the semi-finished basement[another 1500 sq ft] which houses the woodstove, a full bath and 9' ceiling with walkout patio on SE facing side.

Again, too much as I'm quite happy when we are in Tenn at the 1100 sq ft house.
Posted By: slumlord Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3100 on the main floor

Another 600 upstairs, but we keep the heat/ac closed off. That's hoarder area, christmas present wrapping, 'guest quarters'

Still 4 people living here, seems like a lot of room, but when you have 3 christmas trees, taxidermy, pool table, gym equip and weights in two diff rooms, antique furniture from 2 sets of grandparents' estates, gawd...we need more space.

Posted By: AcesNeights Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3500 sq/ft and a 3 car garage that’s quite tall.
Posted By: Boise Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19

Looked for a smaller home but couldn't locate a well built smaller home on nice property, we had limited time to search. Almost half the square footage is the finished basement. Prefer to have everything on one floor but a walk out basement does make the basement nice.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19

2600 sq ft (ish)

main floor with finished basement..cold storage room.....

4 bedrooms plus my gun room...built 1992...I'm 2nd owner

2 bath......outside attached patio another 225 sq ft

1500 sq ft detached garage.......more than enough room for 2 people

South face.....lots of windows....three heat sources.....occasional guests

most recent addition was NG stove in remodeled basement....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Pugs Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1470 finished + the unfinished basement/utility/shop likely makes it 1700-ish of 1924 built "character" crazy

One story, 1100 sq. ft, 3 BR, 2 bath with attached two car garage (if the cars aren't too wide).
Posted By: GBOB Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1100 sq ft typical ranch.
Just built my garage two yrs ago almost as big just under
a 1000😀
Posted By: renegade50 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Empty nesters ( I fugging love it!!)
3 bed rm
2 full bath rm
Kitchen
Living room
Formal dining room
Pretty spartan as far as decor.
Me and Khan/ wife dont like alot of useless eye candy stuff
But what we have out for the random knock on door better homes and gardens photo layout is quality and tasteful.
2 car garage
Finished man cave basement.

Just me and Khan/wife, 3 dogs, 4 cats
Occasional grand dog when one of the 2 knucklebunny older daughters has to go on some Officer career stuff school in unca suga,s army.
1.10 acre
Write it in the will for the 3 daughters to sell and split 3 ways when me and khan/ wife kick the bucket.
Name the oldest as executor with no leeway loopholes.
My kids dont need ta inherit a place to live that they grew up in.
They are pretty succesful citizens as adults.
More so than what i was professionally at their current ages.
Not any stress about them in my life other than wanting a frigging grandchild to teach how to shoot and hunt and inherit some firearms.

LOL!!!!

2850 living space, 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom, another 1200 or so under roof.
Ronnie
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2340 sq ft.
Posted By: KFWA Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
house built in the early 70's, 2400 sq ft

its roomy but completely devoid of any architecture or character. Its just living space.

thats more room than I need but I do like that we have areas of the house like a den and a living room so that we can get away from each other.

3000, 2 story(daylight basement) 4/3 on a few acres. I'm working on drawing up the retirement home and was thinking single story 1800', but the wife needs an art room, I need a gun room and a office, So it looks like 3/2 with a basement is the only real option for us. So much for downsizing.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by KFWA
t I do like that we have areas of the house like a den and a living room so that we can get away from each other.

Divorces work really well for that too. shocked

I'm hoping we'll be building next year if it all works out and am gunning for a better man cave situation. Currently that's the garage (you notice how damn small most garages are nowadays? Can't barely get a compact car inside) .
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3097 sf

Not enough room with two growing (almost teenage) sons.
Posted By: Girlhunter Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1700, plus 1000 sq feet of porch, which is where we spend the majority of time.

I'd prefer about 1000 sq feet.
Posted By: Remsen Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Our house in California is about 2,800 sq ft on a small lot (about 8,000 sq ft). Our place in Montana is a bit of a monster...it's 5,800 sq ft with a former carriage house as a separate garage with a loft. It's on a good sized lot (close to half acre) in town and it's one of those grand old mansion-type places from the turn of last century that went into disrepair as neighborhoods changed. The last owner fully restored it and it's a bit intimidating to clean and heat, but there is nothing quite like a 1900s era house. Damn thing seems to have a soul (or it could just be the sound of the boiler).
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2400 qq ft living area, 4/2 with attached 32 x 24 garage. One shop 24 x 40 with a 24 x 16 carport for the boat! We have thought about down sizing, but neither of us are willing to get rid of the things we collected over the years. It is nice to have the extra bedrooms for company. We could get by with less but why.
Posted By: AKduck Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1300sqft with 800sqft unfinished basement. 1930s Cape Cod. Rapidly running out of room with my growing family (soon to be 6 of us).
Posted By: 257Bob Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
I've owned six homes, they went from smaller 1,800 SF up to bigger 4,000 SF and now smaller with the kids all grown and out. I currently live in a 1,200 SF house on heavily wooded acreage and have never been happier. I've got goats and chickens for the first time and no neighbors that I can see from my property. I can build a chicken coop or a barn without asking permission from any HOA. Less has become more as I age, not buried with massive debt or expense, more time to travel and not worry about keeping up a large estate. I don't need much living space but apparently I do need a big barn!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Where are you in MT? I spent 3 weeks in the Bozeman area last summer and found property to be quite expensive.
My house, of 34 years, is 1600 sq ft. Little cramped when the kids were here, but just about perfect now that it's just me, my wife and our dog. I was a commercial and industrial electrician for 40 years, never in residential. But one shop I worked for my boss sent to a residence to install the electrical gear for the service. That "house" was over 33,000 square feet! Don't know of many houses with an 800 amp service!
Posted By: irfubar Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
I built my place 4 years ago. I designed it for wife and I. It is 1140sq ft on the ground floor with a 600sq ft loft. I designed it with one master bedroom, master bath.
Another full size bath on main floor with a half bath in the loft.
We have plenty of room for the two of us.
Posted By: JimR Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Currently about 1900 sf plus two car garage. Downsized from 5000 sf plus four car garage when we retired. Was interesting what we kept vs eliminated when we downsized.
Posted By: Remsen Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Where are you in MT? I spent 3 weeks in the Bozeman area last summer and found property to be quite expensive.

The big house is in Bozeman (I have a small hunting cabin, about 300 sq ft, about 100 miles north of town). We got really lucky with this house...it happens to be right next to a frat house. The couple that owned it before us are ranchers and the wife wanted to try living in town, so they bought this house cheap and fully restored it. The husband simply couldn't deal with living in town, so they moved back to the ranch and put the house up for sale. Most people, including me, refused to even look at the house due to the frat next door. My wife fell in love with the house, so we spent a week or so talking to neighbors about the frat, coming by late at night to see how loud the frat was, etc. We were the only people to make an offer on the house and the sellers accepted it without countering (we made a low, but reasonable, offer). Turned out that the frat guys are actually really good neighbors, so we were able to get a great house at about half the price others go for on this street. Bozeman prices are pretty close to what you'd find in the Bay Area at this point (well, not in the new developments, but for sure in the historic downtown area).
Posted By: 30338 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Paid everything off and moved to a cheap house in the country a few years back. Been quite nice. Not sure how many feet we have, but enough. More important actually got some room for the dogs to run around outside.
Posted By: JPro Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1,700 SF here with two kids. Well-designed 3br/2ba floorplan with a small office. No wasted space. We'll likely move out to the sticks in the next year or two and 2,000SF +/- would be perfect. Bigger areas for laundry and reloading/gun safe gear is about all the upgrade I actually need.
Posted By: killerv Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3800 on 3 acres
Posted By: ERK Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2200 for the two of us. More than necessary but she wanted bigger. Big two stall heated garage which is sweet in North Dakota. Ed k
Posted By: Cheesy Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
I'm 1870sq ft on main level, 1870 fully finished walk out basement (sheetrocked high ceilings, walk out is on the long side of the house).

More house than we need (wife and two kids), but we bought it cheap, on acreage with major convenience to the town kids go to school in, the town we do most of our shopping in, and the town my office is in.
2500+ ranch 1 1/2 car garage with full basement that could be finished with walk out entrance. There are only 2 of us and our dog on 3 acres with 225 feet of west facing lakeshore on Lake Champlain.
1680 sq-ft ranch style.

No interest in more. Just costs more to heat, cool, insure, maintain, and pay property tax on.

This place seemed huge to us after a career of military base housing. Our previous housing at Camp Lejuene was right at 1000 sq-ft, and seemed like plenty of space.
Posted By: Fugawe Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1200 sq ft berm house overlooking a river. 1700 sq ft deck on two sides. Perfect for the two of us.
Posted By: broomd Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1600+/-..just the way we built it.
We could probably use less.

We spray-foamed the walls, can heat the place with a candle.
Posted By: wagner Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3300 main floor and upstairs. 1650 unfinished basement.
Posted By: Cretch Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2191. Suppose to be just the wife & I, but have a freeloading sis in law I'm having a hard time getting rid of.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
A couple years after our last kid moved out we sold the 2800 sg ft house and my wife and I moved into an 1100 sg ft 2 bedroom house

We cut our utilities in half and its still more room then we need
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Hanco: My home is a comfy cozy 5,400 square feet - 4 bedrooms , four bathrooms and a large protected on all sides "Mormon pantry" that has been turned into a gun vault room (no windows - one steel door now, entrance), all cedar steam room sauna and a connected (but not counted in the 5,400 square feet of living space) 3 car garage, office room, large view/sun room and two "laundry rooms" (one upstairs one downstairs) with intercom system and a HUGE rec room/trophy area with a hot tub on one of our cement patios.
I often can not easily find the VarmintWife in this huge house!
Now that the VarmintSons are done with college and out on their own it IS way to much room for just the two of us - if the house were not so well insulated and cheap to heat - we would look for a smaller place.
But its paid for and the taxes are cheap so I vote for staying in place.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
5200 sq ft. 2500 on the main 2500 basement and 200 underground concrete vault. Still working on the basement so we live in the 2500 main floor for now.

I've held off completely finishing the basement for fear the wife would move some of her relatives in. We were shooting for about 20% smaller. I drew it all out on graph paper and then had an engineer blueprint and engineer it. It came back this many square feet and we couldn't decide what to cut so I just built it as is. I do like the 4 car garage with a pull through a lot. The garage is almost another 2000 ft.

My kids are still little so maybe we'll downsize one day but we hope to be here a while. I built it without a construction loan using the money from selling our last home plus a little savings. I generalled it myself and saved about $150,000 compared to what a builder told me he would do it for plus we did some upgrades.

Bb
Posted By: GuideGun Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Just purchased my first home 2 weeks ago.

We are at 1800 sq ft finished above grade. With a heated 900 sq ft unfinished walk out basement, attached heated 576 sq ft 2 car garage, and a 506 sq ft unfinished room above the garage that connects to our second level of current living area.

Seems like a mansion to my wife and I, but doesn't seem big compared to replies in this thread. We plan to finish out the room above the garage next summer.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1550 on each of two levels, so I guess that makes 3100. Attached double garage. Lots of our friends built bigger homes but we were in love with our neighborhood more so than the house and we've stayed put. Its been a good decision.
Posted By: 1minute Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Two of us with 2400 of living space and an attached 2-car garage. Unused are two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a second living room. Obviously more room than we need, but I'd sure like to have an additional shop building.
Posted By: mart Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1620 sq ft 3br/2 bath on one acre with a 28x30 garage that has an additional 8x30 slab added this fall that will become my gun room. Actually 8x22 for the gun room and 8x8 for a cold room to hang meat during the season and act as dry storage the rest of the year.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2550, single level
Posted By: JamesJr Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Big enough
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
When we moved to Idaho, we down sized for just the two of us to 1550 SF ranch. It's plenty with a large 2 car garage. We just brought too much junk with us that we still need to get rid of. I'm happy with it, wife would like a little more but no reason for it. It's 3 bedrooms, where two are seldom used, and even at that not more than a few days at a time, with a bathroom between those two bedrooms. I like a den, and we've got it. Laundry is on the same side of the house as the master so no issues with that. Kitchen could be a little larger but it's adequate for us. Probably die here.
Posted By: benchman Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1400 sq ft.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2900sft
Posted By: Steve Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3000. We live in probably 1800-2000 (upstairs). The downstairs is bonus and guest rooms.
Posted By: roundoak Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2000 sq ft log house. 2 bedrooms and 1/2 bath in loft. Living room, bedroom, full bath, laundry room, kitchen and den lower level with walk out doors to patio over looking the countryside.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

40'x60' three stall pole building garage/shop.
Posted By: Morewood Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
One story ranch style built in '62. 4 bedrooms, 2 baths 1600 sq ft.

Now that we're empty nesters there's plenty of room. One bedroom is now an office.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by tzone

It's tight but we make it work. I'd like to retire someday instead of make house payments. So, we suck it up for a few years. Daughter off to college in a year or so. Then, 2 more, 2 years after that. They'll be plenty of room then.

LOL...Don't count on extra room. You'll find all kinds of schidt to fill up all that new space, trust me.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2800 sf. When the last of 4 kids moved out we gutted the interior and rebuilt to our specs. We have a large master bedroom and bath and a guestroom w/ full bath. It is comfortable and we have found uses for all the space.

mike r
Posted By: ingwe Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Just under 2000 sq ft.....twice as big as it needs to be..
Posted By: Jevyod Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1600 sq ft. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths. Built in 1906. Nice size for just the wife and I, but it is in town. Dream would be to own 20-30 acres of my own land I can hunt on. Trying to find hunting land here in central Pa can be a bit daunting to say the least. Too many hunters who are rather disrespectful. Gives all of us a bad name
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Bigger than we can keep clean to some folks standards...................but then again we let the dogs live in the house too. grin

Likely 1500-1600 sf now.

Much bigger than the 28' fifth wheel we had as our second place. The first was my small bedroom that I rented while in college. That didn't last long. From there it was a series of various rentals, one of which was a whole 600sf outside measurement rectangular box of a cabin. Owned a +/-700 sf house in Boulder City NV that was a nice place but really small too. Sold it just before the market crash and got our money back after just a couple of years in it.

I grew up with 5 kids, 2 parents in a house close to the size of this one, and therefor don't understand bigger houses being "too small" for a set of parents and 2 kids. But that's just me.

Would like another room here just for gun safe/reloading, but now I have a room to myself for my "office" so I'll not complain.

I do like the 7 Acre RANCH! we have though. And the sun is out today so I may even get to play outside some.

Geno
1600. now. Just Momma and I. Far more room than we need, but the extra space in my reloading room is appreciated.

We spent three years with three young children in 500 sq feet with no AC, so this is the lap of luxury.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Posted By: Certifiable Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1080.. 2 bedroom 1 bath. Built in 1936 and it was the cheapest place in town when we bought it
Posted By: Calvin Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2200. 5 of us and one foster kid. Plenty of room.
Posted By: memtb Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3800 sq.ft. - 3 levels counting the basement! memtb
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
3600 and four levels counting the basement.
Posted By: RicG Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
We have a 3/3 , about 2700 sf, three level "mountain cabin". It's more than my wife and I need, but it's good for company and grandkids!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1800 sq ft, waaay more than I need.
Posted By: tzone Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by tzone

LOL...Don't count on extra room. You'll find all kinds of schidt to fill up all that new space, trust me.

Well when we ship off the 3 of them...we're movin!
Posted By: hotsoup Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Ours is 5560 sq ft. Still not enough when kids and grandkids come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
I bet its 1000 to 1200 square feet.
865 sq. ft. Built by my grandfather in 1936.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
We're downsizing. The house I'm remodeling was about 900 sq ft, but I enclosed the carport and utility room and that brought it up to about 1200 sq ft of living area. 2 bedroom/1 bath. For just the 2 of us, it should be about right.

We had a much bigger house when the kids were little and the wife said when we sold it, Never Again, too much to keep up with.
Posted By: hitNpass Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
2000 Sf. i bought it ten years ago and it was what i needed for a long term.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
We designed our retirement home from scratch. 2400 sq ft with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. All bedrooms are oversized and have walk in closets. Walk in 8x8 pantry with adjustable shelves from floor to ceiling. Ranch, all doors are 36 inch wide. Garage is oversized with 10 foot doors, can easily park two long bed crew cab Super Duty in it and still have room to process meat. Two separate storage sheds, 8x16 each and a detached 1,000 sq ft workshop with a 12 wide garage door.
Our previous house was 4500 sq ft and just way to much wasted space for 2 people
Had the house built in the middle of our 42 acres. Back porch is 12x40 feet and covered and faces our lake. We walk 150 yards to our deer stand.
Posted By: k20350 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Theres some 1%ers giggling at this thread waiting to drop the bomb. 2500Sq/ft for myself
Posted By: stxhunter Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
i want to sell mine, bought it for 120,000 in 05 appraised at 280,000 now, but holding off as this area might get zoned for commercial and my back yard has 200ft of footage on the main thorough through behind my house.If that happens property value will go up. want a place out of town on about 10 acres.
Posted By: lastround Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
1750 sq ft with an oversized garage.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i want to sell mine, bought it for 120,000 in 05 appraised at 280,000 now, but holding off as this area might get zoned for commercial and my back yard has 200ft of footage on the main thorough through behind my house.If that happens property value will go up. want a place out of town on about 10 acres.

Smart to hold on, Rog. best of luck!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Not very.

About 1200 sf.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Likely a hundred years old, 26 x 26, with a 8 x 20 addition, two high.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
We built a simple 1600 sq. foot ranch in 2011 and we love it! It’s 1500 feet off the road surrounded by woods. Three bedroom, two bath over full basement. 24 X 14 dormer porch on the front. Nice attached two car garage. Open concept being that the living room, dining room and kitchen are all one room. The two kids bedrooms upstairs are smaller being they spend so little time in them. Nice closets though and I have a nice closet and wife has a nice walk in closet.
One boy is in the Army, one has moved into a bedroom in the basement and two boys are still upstairs.
I spent years working on everyone else’s house as a contractor and wanted something easy to maintain and take care of with a manageable house payment.
Leaves more money for guns and ammo and more time for hunting, fishing and trapping!
Posted By: pal Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
140 sq ft It's a 1967 24' Silver Streak travel trailer.

I've got a purty big back yard too......... grin

Posted By: wabigoon Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
I'll see your back yard Tikk, and raise you a front yard. laugh[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Ours is 5560 sq ft. Still not enough when kids and grandkids come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

About the same for us. Too much room, then not enough.

As long as grandkids enjoy 4 wheeler rides around the property, fishing in the pond, probably worth the trouble. Will sell and downsize when they’re older and don’t care about such.

DF
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll see your back yard Tikk, and raise you a front yard. laugh[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

>>>>>>>>> grin<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

summer & winter

Posted By: Bristoe Re: How big is your house? - 12/03/19
I like my front yard.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/52958.jpg
Posted By: lochsa Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
1100 sq ft
Posted By: nmitchell Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Big enough.

Neil
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
2600 sq. feet. Big for just me and the wife, but we have holiday dinners here and the grandkids like it. Plus, I hate moving. I'll stay here til I'm too old to cut the grass and plow the driveway when it snows.

Ron

ditto
Posted By: RMerta Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
3000 sq feet log home. Three bedrooms, three bathrooms and two kitchens. Basement has a 11 foot ceiling. Sitting on 10 acres. We are empty nesters. Want to sell and move to Montana.
Posted By: broomd Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19

lol!
Posted By: rost495 Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Not at all sure but its really too big. I think we ended up at 2200. Was 1600 and we took in the garage for a game run/gun room. Good use of it, its now a game room no one is in but Carolyn uses it for exercise. We never have folks over which is preferred by us so its ok. But NEVER go without a toilet for each human in the house.... if at all possible. Especially as you age...

What folks do with big houses is beyond me. Mom has one. She is only one left. Its just used to buy and store more crap. She needs a mini house at her age.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

About the same for us. Too much room, then not enough.

As long as grandkids enjoy 4 wheeler rides around the property, fishing in the pond, probably worth the trouble. Will sell and downsize when they’re older and don’t care about such.

DF

Getting ready for grands.

DF

Posted By: wabigoon Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
There is house, and then there is home.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
2000 + a full, unfinished basement.

It seemed big when we built it in 2002, but now it looks like a "tiny home" next to most of the new construction in the area.

Perfect for us.
Posted By: slumlord Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Haven't seen a 14x70 mentioned yet

Cmon Arkansas
Posted By: local_dirt Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by rost495
Not at all sure but its really too big. I think we ended up at 2200. Was 1600 and we took in the garage for a game run/gun room. Good use of it, its now a game room no one is in but Carolyn uses it for exercise. We never have folks over which is preferred by us so its ok. But NEVER go without a toilet for each human in the house.... if at all possible. Especially as you age...

What folks do with big houses is beyond me. Mom has one. She is only one left. Its just used to buy and store more crap. She needs a mini house at her age.

I agree, Rost. I live in half of mine.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Cmon Arkansas

LOL! Or Alabama.
Posted By: EdM Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
We have 4500 square feet on 7 acres here in Texas and 1700 (+ a 10' x 18" bunkhouse) on 12 acres in north Idaho.
Posted By: jimy Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Cmon Arkansas

LOL! Or Alabama.

Guys with pin dicks send pictures of their trucks.............
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Cmon Arkansas

LOL! Or Alabama.

Guys with pin dicks send pictures of their trucks.............

We kid because we love.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19

summer............

a distant memory..........damm......another 12* night on tap

Posted By: 260Remguy Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
First house was 2,800 sf, 3 BR and 2.5 BA.

Second house was 4,200 sf, 4 BR and 3.5 BA.

Current house has 4,300 sf, 4 BR and 4.5 BA.

Retirement house has 3.900 sf, 5 BR and 6.5 BA. This house was built in 1948. It looks like we may need to spend about $300k for repairs and upgrades before we move in.
Posted By: skeen Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19

Cmon Arkansas

shocked laugh
Posted By: shootAI Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
2180 house. 1800 garage with 720 upstairs apartment.
Posted By: KFWA Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
wife and I bought a little 1400 sq ft cape cod, built in the 30's, quiet little street in the city, good blue collar neighbors, walk to everything we needed - 4/2 brick - I paid $77K for it

Sold it 22 years ago and I still kick myself for doing it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by KFWA
wife and I bought a little 1400 sq ft cape cod, built in the 30's, quiet little street in the city, good blue collar neighbors, walk to everything we needed - 4/2 brick - I paid $77K for it

Sold it 22 years ago and I still kick myself for doing it.

Sounds like a nice place.
Posted By: KFWA Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
yea I didn't know good when I had it.

happens to me alot unfortunately
Posted By: Morewood Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There is house, and then there is home.

Well said, wabigoon. Ain't that the truth.
Posted By: roundoak Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Is that one of the walnuts you want to cut down?
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
2261 single story ranch house. Really nice 12’ ceilings, bigwindows and what not. 3 car garage on an acre. No basements in this part of the world. Wifey and I just had our first baby 11 weeks ago. I hope we can squeeze them in, however many we end up with. If I never move again I’ll be happy about that. I’ve spent the last 15 years moving. I’ve had enough of that.
Posted By: duck911 Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
We are in a 1,500 Sq Ft split level (not counting ~800 Sq Ft of finished basement - man cave - reloading room). Raised both kids who are now gone, so plenty of room for me and the Mrs.

We are at the end of a Cul-De-Sac so have a pie-wedge shaped lot: Small, xeriscaped front yard, massive back yard with huge decking, hot tub, mature trees, horseshoe pit, Big Green Egg, Bar, and enough lawn for 3 volleyball courts. We spend a LOT of time in the back yard.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Best man house I ever saw had living quarters in the middle with a loft bedroom, maybe 800-1000 square feet. Living room had a big barn style door that opened and the guy pulled his Harley right into the living area. Attached on the right side was a three bay garage full of Dodge Power Wagon trucks and metal welding projects. On the left side was another three bay garage with cabinetry and woodworking shop. Outside another shop for general overflow.

I could live like that but women won't have none of it. Come to think of it they take the fun out of almost everything. Almost.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
1727 square feet. 2 bedrooms and a bath with a full basement. More than enough for the 2 of us. We had 6 in the house I grew up in with 900 square feet and a dirt floor basement.. Hell, we thought we were living in tall cotton.

kwg
Posted By: bubbajay Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
900 square feet above ground, same below in a finished basement. It’s just the wife, our 9 year old daughter, our twin 8 year old boys, and a little lap dog. It’s cozy but beats the hell out of an apartment.

Funny thing is we have our best times in a 27 foot travel trailer. Even if it rains.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
1050. Plus full basement. Ranch.
3Br, 1 bath, extra pot in the basement.

They make bigger single wides!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How big is your house? - 12/04/19
Is this one of those penis measuring contests? Because if it is the guys with the small houses seem to be winning.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: How big is your house? - 12/09/19
Guy I know has a fancy horse barn with living quarters in the loft. Pretty nice, actually.

Different strokes for different folks...

If it suits him, it suits me....

DF
4800 with 6 under roof right now.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: How big is your house? - 12/09/19
2800 living space. 625 sq ft garage ( too small garage ) apt above the garage where my spinster sis lives 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

We built a 1200 sq ft house now 1400 after extensive remodel, read pull the fing roof off, don’t ask, w plans to move there when we became empty nesters. It’s on the lot next door.

We have 3 houses & a condo, all paid off. None of them work for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back to the drawing board I reckon
Posted By: Toddly Re: How big is your house? - 12/09/19
7500 sf. Ranch.
Posted By: greydog Re: How big is your house? - 12/09/19
Our's is about 1000 sq ft on the main floor with about 400 upstairs and a walk-out basement. The cat owns the loft, The two of us and the dog share the rest. The gunsmithing shop is in one end of the basement, a hair dressing shop in the other, with the middle disputed. We have three bedrooms (one is in the loft) 2 bathrooms (one in the basement), and an exercise room with weights, a heavy bag and speed bag.
Not anything fancy but I built the whole thing myself. I dug the hole. I mixed and poured the concrete. I did all the carpentry, wiring, and plumbing. When it's 20 below outside, I'm warm and comfy in here; as long as I keep feeding the fire! I have a 28x 48 shop which I hope to finish before I check out. I won't build another one but, if I should buy one, it will be about the same size. GD
Posted By: JGray Re: How big is your house? - 12/09/19
One level ranch style - 3 bedroom, 2 bath and attached oversize 2 car garage (1750 sq ft living area) on 1.25 acres. I added a 24' x 36' detached garage/shop and car port off the attached garage a couple years ago. Bought the house when single right after a divorce and the size was fine, but now with a wife and grand kids, it's a bit small...
More than I need, less than I want. The challenge is not to fill it up with STUFF.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: How big is your house? - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by hanco
How big is your house-living area?

Too big for me.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: How big is your house? - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
More than I need, less than I want. The challenge is not to fill it up with STUFF.

But that tends to happen.

Big house just takes a bit longer.

DF
Posted By: Theeck Re: How big is your house? - 12/30/19
I think this will depend in part on the age of your house. Mine is right around 2500 square feet. It is an older house (built in the 1930s). We have 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. I like the look of older houses but wish there was more storage/closet space.

My wife's brother recently bought a house that is 6,000 square feet with 6 bedrooms and 8 baths. I went into the wrong business.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: How big is your house? - 12/30/19
I live in a 10x10 cell...
Posted By: JGRaider Re: How big is your house? - 12/30/19
3300, which is too big for us empty nesters nowadays. Problem is, in this market you'd sell very high, and buy again very high, so I'll just wait until I retire in a few years and buy in another location.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: How big is your house? - 12/30/19
My wife and I occupy a 1950sq ft home in NE Iowa. Having been married for close to 54 years now with 45 years in this house, we are making plans to sell this place and move to Misssouri into a 2000sq ft lake home, which we have owned for 20 years. We're both going on 76 years of age and it's time to pare down a bit.

2100 square ft. I built it.
Real pretty on the inside, big wood stove.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: How big is your house? - 12/30/19
2000 SF. Single car garage. I don't need all the living space. I could use more storage space. in 5 years when I retire I am putting this NOLA 'burb in my rearview. I hope to recover some of my self-respect.
Posted By: pal Re: How big is your house? - 12/30/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

2100 square ft. I built it.
Real pretty on the inside, big wood stove.

I like it.
We just downsized and moved from the Twin Cities to the Baxter/Brainerd area. Small house-900 square feet. The kids are grown and gone, but we've got adequate room for visitors. Anybody interested in coming here for some fishing, let me know.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: How big is your house? - 12/30/19
2500, but a two story. Retiring soon and the next house will be a ranch single story. Basement is OK but Laundry and bedrooms upstairs. 3 bed 2 bath minimum, so guessing the next one will be about the same depending on how they count basement space. Some places it does not count even though it is certainly useable space.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: How big is your house? - 12/31/19
3,680. 5-3.5-3

And we are now empty nesters....but it doesn't pay to sell until we retire and leave Houston....another 3-4 years.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: How big is your house? - 12/31/19
1400 sq. ft. Not fancy, but its been paid for since 1997.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: How big is your house? - 12/31/19
We lived in that 14X70 for a long time. But we moved to a 2600 ft 4bedroom, two bathroom house with 1900 ft shop on 4 acres. We still have homestead in KL and 1400sf house in Chitina.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: How big is your house? - 12/31/19
How big? Hell it's big as a damn house.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: How big is your house? - 12/31/19
When we moved back to North FL in ‘06, we went smaller. House is a 3/2 on a third acre. 1700 sf. Our condo in Miami is around 1000 sf. Just the two of us.
© 24hourcampfire