Home
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/11/26/dicks-sporting-goods-posts-best-sales/4308285002/
Good
Originally Posted by hanco
Good

Either you can't read or didn't click the link.
WGAF
Really don't care. Never been there, never will.

Not shutting my ad block off to read the story... how hard is it to C&P?

why do the ignorant anti gun nazis feel the need to post on hunting forums?
Soccer moms and back to school stuff for stick and ball sports.
Unfortunately, the majority of the people who own guns, don’t really go out of their way to support the 2nd Amendment. They don’t follow it enough to see the hypocrisy of Dick’s selling guns and ammo while lobbying for more restrictions on guns, or don’t care.
Not much you or me can do about it, except maybe watch where our money gets spent, and try to educate gun owners who aren’t informed or interested. Just like NFL support, each person decides for themselves where the line is.
While the article points to increased profits, I think it maybe just a little dishonest. The fact that they discontinued gun sales in a number of stores and sold 6 of their “Field & Stream” points to a major shift in marketing. They’re likely padding the books to quiet stockholders complaining.
Quite a few companies practice “creative accounting” to hide stupid moves.
7mm
From the link:

Don't count out traditional retail yet.

Dick's Sporting Goods may have found the formula to thrive in the post Amazon world, combining the strengths of traditional retail with the convenience of online purchasing.

The Pittsburgh-based chain posted its best quarterly sales result in six years Tuesday, with same-store sales up 6% in the company's third quarter. That comes on top of a better than 3% increase in same store sales in the second quarter, executives noted.

"We saw increases in both average ticket and transactions, as well as growth across each of our three primary categories of hardlines, apparel and footwear,” said Edward W. Stack, chairman and chief executive officer. “As we head into the holiday season, we remain very enthusiastic about our business."

At 1 p.m. trading Tuesday, Dick's stock was up $7.43, more than 18% on the day, to $46.87, setting it to close at the highest point in more than two years.

On the strength of third quarter results, the company is raising its full year per share earnings estimate to $3.63 to $3.73, up 13 cents from previous projections.

The company was founded in Binghamton 42 years ago as a single bait and tackle shop on the east side, and has since grown into a 733 Dick's Sporting Goods Stores across the nation and 122 specialty store concepts, Golf Galaxy and Field & Stream, with 42 million square feet of retail space.

Are shoppers ready?:Mattel’s gender-neutral dolls are ready for the holidays

'40 pizzas in the last 30 days':John Schnatter dishes out the criticism to Papa John's
It is easy to increase when your sales tanked over the last 12-18 months.

Bound to recover some, especially with the holiday coming up.

I don't care how they are doing. I am not spending a dime with them.
Dicks can suck kawk
They couldn't have a more appropriate name.
Unless my local DSG was an outlier they didn't put a whole lot into the shooting world as opposed to their other items. The golf area was a much bigger deal.

Hell, almost regardless of item (at least for things I was looking to buy) they weren't very price competitive either. Once an Academy rolled into town several years ago there literally isn't anything DSG had that I couldn't find cheaper regardless of any 2A controversy.
They are worth less than they were 5 years ago:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dicks%27+sporting+goods+stock+ticker&qs=AS&pq=dicks%27+sporting+goods+stock&sc=1-27&cvid=ED49D4163EA04C398B521D81E16DA9C5&FORM=CHRDEF&sp=1
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Probably easier than you sending my stock and cartridge trap you stole from me, back.
Well, when you’re at the bottom, the only way to go is up. Heck, Trump’s economy helps even those too stupid to help themselves. 😄
Couldn't care less about dicks.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Dicks and callnum can suck kawk
Dicks was never a major player when it came to selling guns, especially the type they no longer carry. They were probably contemplating halting sales anyway to clear out more shelf space for more profitable items.
Fuqk Dicks, I wouldn't buy anything from them if it was 90% off.
Dick’s stopping gun sales is about like Cabela’s stopping selling yoga pants.
OP is a Dick
My next purchase will be my first. Hasbeen

So they posted their best quarter in the Trump economy. So did I.
Originally Posted by Pat85

So they posted their best quarter in the Trump economy. So did I.

I like that angle! Trump Economy Saves Faltering Dicks Sports.
This is the title of the article: Dick's Sporting Goods posts best sales quarter in six years.

Surprising.
I question the accuracy of the article. If you'll notice, it said it was founded 42 years ago. They're off by about 30 years. It's about the same age I am. I can remember when it was a mom and pop place, one of the best gun shops in that area.

Dick's Sporting Goods posts best sales quarter in six years
Jeff Platsky
Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin

Christmas shipping deadlines 2019: The last days to send gifts with FedEx, UPS and USPS

Stack, who has been running the company since inheriting it from his father in the 1980s, has taken a very public stand on strict controls for semiautomatic weapons that brought pointed criticism from gun rights advocates and praise from opponents.

During the quarter, Dick's sold eight Field & Stream stores, targeted to outdoor enthusiasts, to Sportsman's Warehouse for $28 million.

Company officials made no announcement on additional hunting. department closings in the 600 stores in which the segment remains, though Stack hinted the company may announce the unloading of the remaining Field & Stream stores in the near future.

"A strategic review of our hunt business is continuing," Lee Belitsky, chief financial officer, said during an hourlong conference call with analysts.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Dicks was never a major player when it came to selling guns, especially the type they no longer carry. They were probably contemplating halting sales anyway to clear out more shelf space for more profitable items.

To be honest, after they first opened, I never went there anyway. Their stuff was usually marked up over LGS stores, and their selection wasn’t as good. Plenty of popular models in popular calibers, but not a whole lot else, especially for a gun enthusiast. It was aimed at Fudds from the time they outgrew their tackle shop roots.
7mm
Originally Posted by JMR40

I was in a Dick's one time. I saw no bargains and their guns were way over priced. I won't be going back.

kwg
It saved me some money, callnumbnuts.
Originally Posted by splattermatic

Probably easier than you sending my stock and cartridge trap you stole from me, back.

No [bleep]?
that was never settled?
WOW.
Who cares? It will disappear in the near future.
First they crush $500,000 worth of evial assault weapons. How does that make a shareholder feel? Then they lose a quarter billion with their stupid 21 year old to buy a gun rule. This "headline" is like bragging about getting dogschitt off your shoe.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Who cares? It will disappear in the near future.

VERY TRUE...

A really crappy store stocked with overpriced chit for wanna be urbanite participation trophy losers.
Never been and can’t see a reason now. I’m guessing I’m not their target audience.
Best sales do not mean best profits. When you have to mark your whole inventory down 25% just to drive sales for a few days, that’s called desperation.

Touting “sales” numbers is something they needed to do to gain a small bump in share prices to calm the board. It will not last.

If you can’t read between lines on this, you do not understand the retail market at all.
Aboriginal Montanans always shop at Dicks.
I was in the Medford Dick's three years ago! I was looking for a wool shirt, there stock consisted of zero wool shirts! Haven't been back since,!
Those must be the same wool shirts w eryone else carries. J am survuving on the ones i got af Sears, Penney's, and supplemented by goodwill
I did get a h& r .308, and a year later a .35 whelen h&r because ( according to them) ammunition wasnt available-- drove right to gander and bought it on closeout. Missed a .44. They did have lots of. 223 handis
It is a soccer mom/ yuppie he man store .
Basketball season. I emailed Dickhead (official title) and told him basketballs and overpriced shoes they have sold have led to more murders and shootings in one month than all the guns they have sold since opening. Sadly, no response
Dicks sells very little that I would be interested in and their prices are laughable. Used to laugh with some friends that Dicks is the most appropriately named sporting goods store there is.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
It saved me some money, callnumbnuts.

Drunk again? It’s not even baseball season.

Fire boycotters...making business great again
Shoulda titled the thread "Trump revives limp Dick's".

Conflict the hell outta the trolls on this site.
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by hanco
Good

Either you can't read or didn't click the link.

Or the OP included no text from the story.
Originally Posted by RickyD
This is the title of the article: Dick's Sporting Goods posts best sales quarter in six years.

Surprising.

They should have suffered their own Kristallnacht. Enemies of liberty should never go unscathed.
I can't control much in this world, but I can control who gets my dollars. They never will.
[Linked Image from american-stock-research.com]
Originally Posted by akasparky

Looks like Calldumb is spreading lies again. What a POS
Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy
Best sales do not mean best profits.

You are going to confuse callnumnuts with simple facts like the differences between profits, profit margins, etc. Then again, you're talking about someone who has issues putting chains on trucks....
Originally Posted by KenMi
Basketball season. I emailed Dickhead (official title) and told him basketballs and overpriced shoes they have sold have led to more murders and shootings in one month than all the guns they have sold since opening. Sadly, no response

Lol, you sure told them.....
Yep , amazing how many gun owners still shop at Dicks or Field and Stream , then there are those who still vote Democrat or third party . Then the ones who set on thief smug butts and don’t vote at all , all the while saying , they won’t come here and get my guns ! Without ever looking at the real picture of how this could actually take place , in so many ways .
Kenneth
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Dick’s stopping gun sales is about like Cabela’s stopping selling yoga pants.

Damn, where am I gonna get camo yoga pants now?
It isn’t really a sporting goods store anyways. At least what my mind thinks of a sporting goods store.
Originally Posted by splattermatic

One more time...
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy
Best sales do not mean best profits.

You are going to confuse callnumnuts with simple facts like the differences between profits, profit margins, etc. Then again, you're talking about someone who has issues putting chains on trucks....

For you old fuggs that don’t understand business

For the quarter that ended Nov. 2, Dick's reported earnings of $57.6 million, 66 cents a share, on sales of $2 billion, compared with net profit of $37.8 million, 39 cents a share, on sales of $1.9 billion.

In the first nine months of the fiscal year, the company reported net income of $227.6 billion, $2.53 a share, on sales of $6.1 billion, compared with net income of $217.3 million, $2.18 a share, on sales of $5.9 billion in the same period a year earlier.
I've boycotted dicks all my life. Have you?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I've boycotted dicks all my life. Have you?

Not the Aboriginal. He loves em.
Originally Posted by callnum
[

For you old fuggs that don’t understand business

kudos for spelling and for cut and pasting, but it does beg the question, do you know what it all means, other than they need to thank the President....Old fugg? I have to laugh...
They took a calculated risk and appears it paid off, or at least didn't hurt much. Hard to calculate the effect in the improved economy. I worked PT at Dicks briefly years ago, and don't think the Lodge was ever a big chunk of sales at our store. For every gun nut that's boycotting Dicks there's at least one snowflake who's gonna shop there because of their new policy.

Not much on boycotts, but the real point of one is that the boycotted business doesn't get any of MY money. It goes to someone else more worthy of my financial support. Brick and mortar retail is pretty much dead to me anyway. Seldom do they have what I want, but rather what they want to sell. Even more seldom is there anyone available that knows anything about pretty much anything, so I see no reason to pay more for expertise that doesn't exist. Online shopping saves me time, gas, and aggravation.
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by akasparky

Looks like Calldumb is spreading lies again. What a POS

He's a lyin' sack of chit.

But it's not hard to show a quarterly profit when you are forced to close down and sell real property.
I stopped in at a local Dicks's store last week. Found the item I wanted, and then spoke to the assistant manager girl. Told her that this was just what I needed and wanted, but that I was going to leave it with her because of their anti gun stance, and buy the item at the Bass Pro down the street.
© 24hourcampfire