Home
Our Germans Shepherds, when I was a kid, always did this when they heard a siren. First time it happened, in the middle of the night, it scared the heck out of me. I was sure it was a ghost.

PS They say German Shepherds have just a smidgen of wolf in their makeup, from early in their breed history.

My wife and I rescued a German Shepherd years ago, then watched some show about wolves. Never realized they would howl until she threw her head up and went to it. Years later she's taught the retriever/lab/setter mutt to howl.
My German Shorthair howls at kitchen timers, sirens, smoke alarms, telephones...

Maybe it's a German thing.
No it's not just a German shepherd thing, we once had a cockapoo that did that very thing.
Trains, coyotes, other dogs, sirens, seen all sort of dogs howl at all of these. From chihuahua to great pyrenees.
My Schnauzers do too.
My neighbor's german shepard howls at trains blowing their horn at the intersection down the road. Every time.
My drunk neighbor howls also........and he's not a German.
You should hear about twenty five dogs in the kennel when the ambulance or fire truck goes by.

And not a German Shepherd in the bunch.
Every time that it thundered when my uncle's German Shepard was outside, a new screen door was required.
The doorbell sets mine off, every time.
I have a pug that can howl with the best of them
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
My Schnauzers do too.

Ditto!
The Atlanta PD has retired all their German Shepherd canines and trained a bunch of Bluetick coon hounds in their place- - - - - - -they finally figured out it wasn't the Germans who were causing all the trouble!
Jerry
Ex in-laws had a chihuahua that would set to howling when we said “Sing, Coco, sing!”
All 4 of our last dogs, little guys all, were set off by UPS vans. If the UPS van turned onto our street 2 blocks away they would run to the front door and bark furiously until he went on down the street. FedEx trucks, mail vans, garbage trucks etc they would sleep right through.
I know a Springer Spaniel will howl at sirens...
English pointers howled at trains and sirens too!
Have had 3 GSD. None of them did that.
I just played your video. It woke my GSD up and she started howling with the video. I have never heard her howl before. We live in the country so there are no real noises to get her to howl.
Wife has a 3 1/2 pound chihuahua that will howl
Yep, they'll all howl if they take a notion.
Yeah, my lab howled at sirens too. Our dachshund would sing with the slightest encouragement.
I'm surprised by this thread.
A dog that howls?

Peculiar.
While we were gone to Hawaii a week or so back, our dog/house sitter videoed our dogs howling. Chako the 8 month old Wiener at the top of the stairs, 3 year old Honey Half-Lab at the bottom. Don't know who started it, or why. They did it 3 days running.

Not together, either - they took turns!
Originally Posted by las
While we were gone to Hawaii a week or so back, our dog/house sitter videoed our dogs howling. Chako the 8 month old Wiener at the top of the stairs, 3 year old Honey Half-Lab at the bottom. Don't know who started it, or why. They did it 3 days running.

Not together, either - they took turns!

Awesome.
I've had all sorts of breeds, to include two German Shepherds, and not a single one of my non-German Shepherds has ever howled like a wolf. Both Shepherds, did.
As a kid we lived across the street from a firehouse. Our little fox terrier would howl every time she heard a siren.
Used to set the neighbor's pack of beagles off with the Dixie horn on the mazda

That horn was worth more than the truck
Most dogs will do that. So will coyotes. Best way to locate a pack of yotes is to take the FoxPro and hit the siren sound. It's also a good way to wake up the neighbors.....lol.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Every time that it thundered when my uncle's German Shepard was outside, a new screen door was required.

We had one like that when I was a kid. If she was outside when it thundered, she'd go through a screen to get in the house. If she was inside, she'd go through it to get out. And one time, she went through the neighbors' screen door!
My JRT loves to sing...

Our Dalmatian would howl when the fire dept siren went off. He'd howl in the house and wanted in the back yard to sing along. He wouldn't howl if I was walking him and the siren went off. He'd look at me and then towards the sound but wouldn't howl.
© 24hourcampfire