Home
Posted By: persiandog Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
same idea can be used to pull a large animal in back of truck , is there a product in market already?

Archimedes huh...

Warn 885030 Red Lifting and Pulling Tool
Hell I just went to Northern tool and bought a chain hoist ( that I always forget and leave at home).
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hell I just went to Northern tool and bought a chain hoist ( that I always forget and leave at home).

Oh your that guy in the hunting group. laugh
the toys are great for kids,consider it.

I like the idea of a "rack".... I have a couple of these but not six or 8...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Aluminum-Twin-sheave-Pulley-will-take-any-rope-up-to-5-8/360404402968

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Oh your that guy in the hunting group. laugh

Shut up!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Need a clip of Butthead saying, "He said snatch. Hee, hee."

That's a long way to say you double the force in exchange for pulling twice the distance. Fourth grade science.

Archimedes lifting a boat? Each pulley adds friction you need to overcome. No free lunches.
Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about condoms. Never mind.
Originally Posted by achadwick

😂😂😂😂
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
I was waiting to see what the Snatch blocked
I don't want it blocked.

Just constricted a bit!

I have a warn 800 ATV winch in the back of my truck I use to drag deer up into it... I have a cab on and it’s darn near impossible to put them in otherwise.

One year I shot a 250lb plus Kansas buck, and couldn’t get him in the truck alone.... So I bought the winch.
I had to tie that dang deer to the bumper and drag him to a spot where the back wheels were in a ditch so I could roll him on the truck, he went just over 200 dressed.
This is differenter than cock blocked.
Posted By: las Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Having butchered 20 something moose, up to 1500 lbs or so, and roughly 75 caribou in the field, many of them (moose included) by myself, alls I got to say is snatch blocks are for pussies.

Smart pussies. But still pussies. smile

I have been known to run a loop of rope around a tree to use the double leverage to get moose's back leg up and tied off for gutting, however.

Pulleys.... Faugh!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
I have probably hung over 100 deer, elk, etc. with one of these.
We have two, one about like pictured and another that uses about 1/8" or 3/16" nylon cord.
Small enough for a day pack but work excellent at home for skinning and hanging for a few days prior to butchering.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Here your buddy drives up to get you, throw the deer in the back, and hang it in the machine shed with your handy dandy come-along. Farmer down the road from my cousin had the best deal. He had a fork lift for moving sacks of seed, chemicals, etc. which doesn't happen during deer season. Tie deer to a fork while in the truck bed and move it inside.Great for butchering, move the deer up and down with a lever and save your back.

'Spose you could use the manure scoop but I wouldn't want to. sick
Posted By: las Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Fella I knew upMat Valley way had his rifle in his wrecker during moose season. Just in case.

CASE! smile

We should have run him out of state for that.
Posted By: hanco Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
I make my own
go to any farm store and get one.we use them to pull deer up on the steep mountains we hunt . we always carry a few hundred feet of rope on our atv's.
Posted By: hanco Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by srwshooter
go to any farm store and get one.we use them to pull deer up on the steep mountains we hunt . we always carry a few hundred feet of rope on our atv's.

I hadn’t thought of that, we have a couple places that would be hell to get a deer out of.
We have some incorrecct terms here. The OP photo isn't a snatch block. Neither is 700LH's photo. MtnBoomer's photo IS a snatch block. A single or set of pulley wheels is a block, as in block and tackle. A snatch block is a version of that where the block can be easily opened so the rope can be put over the wheel without threading it through the block. This photo's a good example. MtnBoomer's photo is a 2 wheel version of this.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

This one doesn't look like snatch block but it is. The pin through the top holes can be easily slid out, the rope laid on the pulleys, and the pin replaced.

[Linked Image from image.ec21.com]
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

If that would just fit over a gooseneck ball in the bed of my truck, I would try it. Insert into gooseneck port, attach rope to elk, snatchblock and other end to tree or anchor- drive truck forward.

I have been looking for a capstan that would fit in gooseneck receiver but short of having one turned, have not perfected a system.
There is a scene in Fitzcarraldo of a ship being pulled over mountain

Interesting physics
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

If that would just fit over a gooseneck ball in the bed of my truck, I would try it. Insert into gooseneck port, attach rope to elk, snatchblock and other end to tree or anchor- drive truck forward.

I have been looking for a capstan that would fit in gooseneck receiver but short of having one turned, have not perfected a system.

Those come in various sizes and capacity. You just need to check the size of the holes. Here's one from Amazon. Someone in the Q&A says it fits his 2 5/8" ball. SNATCH BLOCK
One of those small Kito LX chain hoists is a better solution than a series of pulleys. With the handle collapsed they'll fit in a glove box and you can pull 1,000+ LB as far as you have chain to reach.

This little Nip can carry one on his hip and it enables even someone as wee as him to hoist 0.5T.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
I call them a cable jack, more properly a ratchet hoist. For a short distance they have a lot of pull.

My father liked a rope block, and tackle.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Heard tell of this dude had himself an UBER Yellow Avalanche with a even more UBER wench attached, folk say he had more'n 500' of cable on that wench!
That's what folk said anyhow.
The term used for a device that slips onto then holds tight upon a rope or cable is a______? Those were the first things I heard called snatch blocks, no pulley, and not the correct term.. .
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
I have a Warn Drill Winch that works great for this kind of job. Light weight and pulls 400 pounds.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
The term used for a device that slips onto then holds tight upon a rope or cable is a______? Those were the first things I heard called snatch blocks, no pulley, and not the correct term.. .

I think you're talking about a cable grip. I don't know if they'd work on a rope, though. They're made for steel cable.

[Linked Image from kleintools.com]
Yah. Only seen for cable, just a wag there's rope versions. Used them working on commercial overhead doors.

So block vs sheeve?
Technically, the sheave is just the wheel. The whole setup is a block. Pully is used for either so it's meaning isn't fixed. This is kind of like the F'ar talking about clips, magazines, bullets, and cartridges.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
You never see an industrial crane pulling a heavy load with a single cable. It is the same principle pulling your deer up by yourself. I've got winches, cable pullers, or a chain fall too, but out in the woods, I have a two and three pulley set in my pack that I bought at a sailing store that is strong and light weight. It took me two and a half days to quarter and pack out a big buck and I'm sure that if it hadn't been pulled up into a pine tree with those pulleys, the wolves would have helped me eat it. I don't know where the weight ends up going, all I know is that it works really well.
At what age do I switch from doing everything the hard way using brute force to The Smart Way? I feel like I must be getting close.
They say that in bear or wolf country, hang your game at least 10' off the ground. I wonder if anyone who writes that stuff has actually tried to get an elk 10' up a tree.
This one must have a pretty good snatch block what with runnin around with no shirt on and all

Originally Posted by hanco
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by achadwick

I thought it was going to be about some new way to cook chickens.
Posted By: natman Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by Windfall
I don't know where the weight ends up going, all I know is that it works really well.

It's a way to make a lever out of rope. Just like a lever, you exchange weight for distance. You have to pull twice as far, but it feels like it weighs half as much.
What a great thread about snatch blocks condoms and winches wenches. The 'fire never ceases to amaze!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! smile
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Snatch Blocks for hunters - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This one must have a pretty good snatch block what with runnin around with no shirt on and all

Originally Posted by hanco

© 24hourcampfire