Home
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/cool-bar-montana?
I have to make a run over there soon.
Time machine more than a bar I'd say.
Looks like a nice little place.

But you'd have to buy it for love because you sure as heck won't make any money.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Looks like a nice little place.

But you'd have to buy it for love because you sure as heck won't make any money.

Buy it and turn it into an elk/mule deer camp for all your buds.
Gold mine, just waiting to be opened up. Serve a good steak with good service. Bingo!
Whore House.
Sycamore: I have been frequenting the Jersey Lilly since the late 1960's and "eating beans" and the "Sheepherders HO'Deuvres" there for nearly as long.
I always stop in for a snack and a cool one when Varminting in the area and when Antelope season and then Deer seasons start I camp nearby and have beans for lunch and a big'ol steak for dinner.
I hope whoever buys the place keeps up the ambiance it has had for so long.
Before cell phones the phone in that old timey hardwood phone booth sure earned a lot of dimes and then quarters from me - it was the only public phone for MANY miles in every direction.
Last time I got an Antelope tag and Hunted in the area of Ingomar I saw 7 Rattlesnakes in two days of Hunting (mid-October!).
I think I'll get on over Ingomar way, come spring thaw, and hopefully have one more bucket'o beans!
Long live the Jersey Lilly.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'd hope a rail is still available in town, I'd need several flat cars full of firewood to keep the old girl warm.
I hunted near Forsyth. That's pretty grim country when the wind starts up. The hunting's good though.

That's one bar I missed.
Just think, maybe Ingwe, Slim Jim and Samo could come down and run the place when I have to go back to okleehoma and cut hay. grin
Samo would drink up the stock! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Samo would drink up the stock! smile smile smile

I best cut, rake and bail quick then ; ]
Stopped in at the Lilly after my boy got his deer in that area a couple weeks ago. I used to live in that general area and would get there as often as I could.

The people that used to be there really contributed to the ambiance but it is still a really cool place. Lots of history. Dang good people in that area.

Never forget when I took my family there from the midwest. My niece was maybe 11 or 12 years old. We were eating and she said she need to use the restroom. I told her togo ask at the bar where it was.

When she left I told my folks, her grandparents, to watch her reaction. When the gal at the bar told her where the bathrooms were, the look on her face was priceless. Directions were to go out the front door, take a right and follow the boardwalk to the outhouses. Didn't realize it but my niece had never used a true outhouse before.

To this day, the "facilities" are still outside.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Just think, maybe Ingwe, Slim Jim and Samo could come down and run the place when I have to go back to okleehoma and cut hay. grin

I’d go run it for ya in the summertime 🤠
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL, I'll leave ya a case of 45 ACP's to shoot when it was slow grin
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I hunted near Forsyth. That's pretty grim country when the wind starts up. The hunting's good though.

That's one bar I missed.

When the wind starts up?
Turn it into a high class chicken ranch!
I've been there many times. Used to spend a week every year hunting prairie dogs at a nearby farm and we would stop there for lunch.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL, I'll leave ya a case of 45 ACP's to shoot when it was slow grin

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Gunner50 No, sadly, the rails are gone and the railroad bed is almost all grown over with grass and the sage is starting.
I approached the VarmintWife last night with a plan to cash it out and live REAL stress free - she retorted that the VarmintLawyer woldl be serving me papers if I bought it!
So sadly I will not be taking up a new profession by buying the cafe/bar myself - again I hope a caring and low key person buys the place.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I think the right kind of money could buy this historic tavern. It may need a tinncy bit of work. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I think the right kind of money could buy this historic tavern. It may need a tinncy bit of work. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Been by that a bunch of time, but never in it that I recall......
I've been to Ingomar and Sumatra a number of times over the years. Always stop at the Lily. That's rough country out there, rounds the edges off the locals pretty darn quick. An excellent place to learn what "Montana Nice" really signifies.
We will have to make a trek there this spring or summer.. I have been there about 20 years ago...
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Gunner50 No, sadly, the rails are gone and the railroad bed is almost all grown over with grass and the sage is starting.
I approached the VarmintWife last night with a plan to cash it out and live REAL stress free - she retorted that the VarmintLawyer woldl be serving me papers if I bought it!
So sadly I will not be taking up a new profession by buying the cafe/bar myself - again I hope a caring and low key person buys the place.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Dang, and LOL, you best set pat too ; ]
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
We will have to make a trek there this spring or summer.. I have been there about 20 years ago...

You can go to Custer on the interstate, charge up your Tesla there (yes, they actually have an electric car charging station in Custer, MT). Stop for a drink in the bar there. Go across the river and travel down the valley until you get to the Ingomar Road and cut cross country from there. Great trip to make. Just do not do it if it has rained or might rain that day. Stick to the paved road if there is a chance of rain.

The exterior reminds me a bit of the bar in Alzada, MT., on Hwy 212...
Originally Posted by Redneck

Only resemblance is the old wood board siding. Similarities end there pretty much. The Lilly has a super old back bar. A lot of the furnishings in the Lilly are older than you are.

It is a unique place that’s worth the stop if you’re ever in the country.
Is that the kitchen parked outside?
Was there a couple times in the early '80s.
Long chats with the retired boxer with the string holding up his glasses.
Liked the piss trough.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Redneck

Only resemblance is the old wood board siding.
Yes, that's what I was referring to..
Similarities end there pretty much. The Lilly has a super old back bar. A lot of the furnishings in the Lilly are older than you are.

It is a unique place that’s worth the stop if you’re ever in the country.
I believe it... smile
When I lived in Jordan, north of Ingomar in Garfield County, we hunted coyotes with the Supercub in that part pf Rosebud County quite a bit. We'd land the Cub on the street in front of the Jersey, and taxi right up to the
front door....pretty quiet there, especially in the winter. They welcomed our business, and were happy to have us hunting coyotes...

During antelope season, back in the day, they made their money for the year....not so much now with the antelope numbers, and permits being cut way back.
Wore a Jersey Lilly cap for years, til it got too much grouse blood on it. Hope it keeps going.

6MMWASP's watering hole......
I worked for a horse buyer when I was a kid. He started buying near Brockway MT. And all along the way he bought more. Some were what is called range delivery. They were out in the wilds and we rounded them up and put them in the herd.

We trailed west thru Jordan and out into the musselshell river breaks where he had a ranch. From there we headed southeast to Sand Springs MT. He was buying horses all along the way.

The rail line was still in Ingomar so that was our destination. The horses were sorted, taking out any bucking stock prospects and loading the rest on railcars to be shipped to
plants to be killed for dog food.

Being the kid of the outfit I was sent down to the bar to buy a case of beer for the rest of the crew. Nobody batted a eye at a 12 year old buying a case of beer.
© 24hourcampfire