Home
Posted By: keith_dunlap December 7th - 12/07/19
Just wanted to say Thank You to all the men and women who answered the call to defend Liberty and Freedom
Posted By: kid0917 Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
Yes!!! very few Pearl Harbor survivors still alive today, but there are some.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
A high-school classmate of my mother's, George Simon (Pitman H.S. Class of 1938) died on the U.S.S. Arizona that day, and has remained there since.
May all of those brave heroes Rest in Peace. And may America never forget.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
WW II vets in general thinning out. My 93 yo FIL was a sailor on the Belleau Wood a cruiser class aircraft carrier hit by a Kamikaze during the Pacific war. They saved the ship. After the war the French got it. In the ‘50’s it was decommissioned, sank to make a home for the fishes.

The greatest generation. FIL and 93 yo wife live at home in Wichita. Still independent. Tough folks. 8th grade education, built a successful body shop business. 4 kids. Two school teacher daughters. I married one. Two sons, both computer scientists. One with Boeing Military, the other with Disney in Orlando. Smart, just not educated. Pushed his kids to go to college.

Interesting study of people from that generation. Not sure we’ll see their like again.

DF
Posted By: chris_c Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Just wanted to say Thank You to all the men and women who answered the call to defend Liberty and Freedom

Second that
Posted By: cisco1 Re: December 7th - 12/07/19

satir will be along soon to explain the Japs armament.

Please, stand by.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
I'll try, they can not be thanked enough for the sacrifices.
Posted By: Springcove Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
Absolutely the greatest generation of men!!!

Thank you all who serve and have served.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: December 7th - 12/07/19

Pearl has been under attack lately......
Posted By: 5sdad Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
Adding my remembrance and thanks.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
You are right on. There will never be another generation of warfighters like them. Volunteers and draftees..Patriots all. My FIL was one of them. Lost him 2013 @97. Wouldn’t speak of action but highly decorated. God Bless them all.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
A long time ago.

78 years.

78 years before Pearl Harbor, we were fighting the Battle of Gettysburg.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
A long time ago.

78 years.

78 years before Pearl Harbor, we were fighting the Battle of Gettysburg.

Man, that puts it in perspective.

DF
Posted By: rte Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
ttt
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
THE Greatest Generation. Their deeds were very close to those of our Founding Generation. We owe them our continued Freedom.

Today our family will remember my wife’s late grandfather, John Paul Lawrence, an anti-aircraft gunner on the USS Saratoga at Iwo Jima. Though he’s passed now, his memory and heroism remain with us.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: December 7th - 12/07/19
Before my time of course, I understand there were many good young men that joined up just after the attack.

Back when many WW2 vets were scout leaders, teachers, and family friends. I wish I had the Moxy at that time to thank them.

Thinking more on that, maybe the best thanks is to be good citizens, and try to keep the country going in the proper direction.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: December 7th - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Before my time of course, I understand there were many good young men that joined up just after the attack.

Back when many WW2 vets were scout leaders, teachers, and family friends. I wish I had the Moxy at that time to thank them.

Thinking more on that, maybe the best thanks is to be good citizens, and try to keep the country going in the proper direction.

I'm sure we took them for granted, not knowing at the time, what we had.

I'm old enough to have known a number of them, wish I'd have paid them more attention.

Sometimes you don't realize what you have (had) until it's gone.

DF
© 24hourcampfire