Home
I’ve grilled them forever but this year started reverse searing them. Heat them to internal temp of 120 degrees in the oven set at 225. Take them out and sear them on a hot cast iron skillet, basting with olive oil and butter with seasoning. Mmmmm.
Species?
My favorite (any species, including cow) is to marinate with soy sauce, sherry, ginger and a little corn starch and stir fry them. Serve with stir fried snow peas.

When I was single, that was better panty remover than tequila....
Whitetail. Bit don’t let that stop you if you have something different.
Originally Posted by Dutch
My favorite (any species, including cow) is to marinate with soy sauce, sherry, ginger and a little corn starch and stir fry them. Serve with stir fried snow peas.

Yeah buddy. Gotta love a girl who loves some good meat.
A lumbar support brace with a couple hot packs inside can cook my tenderloins nicely.
Bacon wrapped. Grill.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A lumbar support brace with a couple hot packs inside can cook my tenderloins nicely.

I hear it sucks getting old
I hope charcoal at least.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’ve grilled them forever but this year started reverse searing them. Heat them to internal temp of 120 degrees in the oven set at 225. Take them out and sear them on a hot cast iron skillet, basting with olive oil and butter with seasoning. Mmmmm.

Sounds good.... I'll tell the wife!
I did two deer’s worth in the past week. Slice into 1.5” thick “steaks” and roll in flour, salt, and pepper. Lay them in a hot skillet with a dollop of lard melted in it. Only turn them once and don’t cook them past medium rare.
We almost always have them with steamed broccoli with mozzarella cheese melted on top and black eyed peas.
Seared in a hot skillet, in the oven at 450-500, time depends on thickness. Pull, slather in butter, foil and rest for 15min.

Slice and arrange in platter.

Same way I do thick steaks.

Thanks Mickey.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2634829/on-cooking-steak
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I hear it sucks getting old

Never wrapped my tenderloins in bacon. Sounds kinky.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I did two deer’s worth in the past week. Slice into 1.5” thick “steaks” and roll in flour, salt, and pepper. Lay them in a hot skillet with a dollop of lard melted in it. Only turn them once and don’t cook them past medium rare.
We almost always have them with steamed broccoli with mozzarella cheese melted on top and black eyed peas.

Thanks, sounds great. I'm going to try it.

I normally slice it 3/4 inch thick and chicken fry, which is great, but that should leave a bigger, rare center.
It’ll ruin you Jag. wink
Originally Posted by SeanD
Seared in a hot skillet, in the oven at 450-500, time depends on thickness. Pull, slather in butter, foil and rest for 15min.

Thanks Mickey.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2634829/on-cooking-steak

Interesting.
For deer tenderloins generally got set aside when we cut up the deer (at home, after hanging at least overnight). Then when we were done or the next morning cut 1 - 1½ inch thick. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and saute in butter. Now that's a breakfast! If they last that long.
For beef, no bacon to hide the flavor. Seasoning depends on what we feel like that day, usually just salt. pepper, garlic powder. Sometimes a rub with Lea and Perrin's first. Then in the smoker with a little apple wood for a light smoke until not quite rare. No rub with oil, they aren't in the smoker long enough to dry out. Then finish on the grill as hot as it'll go.

Beef taste good, and that lean it doesn't have flavor to spare. So don't hide what there is wit seasonings, smoke or anything else. Particularly marinades which were invented to make cheap cuts palatable.
It’ll ruin you Jag. wink

Mom would sometimes sear fryer squirrel or venison 3/4 in thick backstrap or ham muscle steaks and place in a covered Corning wear dish with a quarter inch of water in the oven at 350 for a while.

You could tap a squirrel leg on a plate and the meat would fall off the bone, Kid.
Combine/whisk: 1/4 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup pineapple juice, two minced garlic cloves, one finely chopped sprig of rosemary, two tablespoons honey dijon mustard, and pour in a 1 gallon zip lock. Good for 5lbs of meat. Marinade in the fridge for at least 3 hours.

Place marinaded tenderloins on a foil-lined baking tray. Season tenderloins with salt, pepper, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, let it stand at room temp for a couple hours.

Preheat oven to 425 deg. Heat a well seasoned cast iron skillet or oiled fry pan on the cooktop at med/hi. Sear tenderloins on all sides for 2 minutes per side.

Loosely wrap each tenderloin in foil and arrange them on a baking pan and put them in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and turn the meat, return to the oven for at least 5 minutes or the center reaches your desired temp.

Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
Sou vide
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Mom would sometimes sear fryer squirrel or venison 3/4 in thick backstrap or ham muscle steaks and place in a covered Corning wear dish with a quarter inch of water in the oven at 350 for a while.

Damn big squirrels to get 3/4" steaks.

I don't recal ever having beef tenderloin.

Wild game:
Garlic salt and pepper, fried in very hot (not burning) butter until pink in middle. KISS!
Soon as I hang a deer I cut the hanging loins out. Place them in a zip lock bag, and give them to my wife. She does some kinda thing with butter and onions.
Tag
BBQ pit, wrapped in bacon, cooked with mesquite.
Tenderloins and back straps get the most basic of treatments; great flavor needn’t be enhanced or covered by elaborate concoctions or cooking methods.

I love the roast-a-bit-then-sear method. Sautéed in butter w/ onions till rare is awesome too.

The more elaborate stuff I save for the less prime cuts and love it all.

This year I’m particularly excited to try osso bucco.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by SeanD

Thanks Mickey.

Interesting.

other than the slice that's how we do them - let them cook in the foil as they cool down
Place the tenderloins in a bowl and add a good amount of olive oil and Worcestershire sauce. Let them sit in the bowl and marinate for about an hour, turning occasionally. Grill over charcoal to medium rare. If they brown up too fast on the outside, pull them off the coals and place on a baking sheet and put them in a 350 degree oven until the desired internal temperature is reached. To me they come out tasting like grilled beef tenderloin. Not that I get much, my sons inhale it too fast.
Venison tenderloins need no fancy schit.......

Big pad of butter in a bowl, melt in the microwave, roll said loin in butter, a little salt & pepper, onto a hot grill for a short trip on both sides. Past rare is a sin.....
You talking these;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

or these;

grin
I toss tenderloins to the yotes...gut meat

I grind backstraps for jerky

Cause I'm a dick
I slice them 3/8 to 1/2" thick and roll them in Bisquick. Preheat a skillet with a ounce or so of olive oil in it and fry them for just a couple minutes, then turn and do the same. About halfway thru the flip drizzle Worcestershire over the top and sprinkle on some Morton's Nature's Seasoning.

I seldom cook the same but these were a few weeks ago and wonderful

cast iron with hot olive oil I put onions in this batch and Montreal seasoning

Just fantastic keep them pink on the inside easily over done

I bet there is a thousand guys here who qualify as chefs with tenderloins
Hank
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
You talking these;

or these;

grin

That kind of looks next level
YUM
Hank
Jeffrey: I harvested what I considered to be a very "mature" Whitetail Buck this year just a day or so before the "rut" started here in SW Montana.
This 11 point (6x5) Whitetail Buck I am sure was at least 5 1/2 years old.
I am also sure he had spent most all his life on the ranch where I got him feasting on Alfalfa!
Anyway even this very mature Buck is providing outstanding table fare for the VarmintFamily and is amazingly tender and delectable the way I cook it!
I prepare the "tenderloins" (as well as the filet mignon cuts) in what I call "Sheepherder Style".
I learned it from my maternal grandfather who in his retirement years would head over to eastern Oregon in the spring and herd sheep for a friend who was also a cattle rancher.
He always brought home a bunch of venison steaks at the end of his season of sheepherding (times were different back then - and I was to young to even comprehend criticizing grandpas actions!).
Grandpa would simply age the meat carefully (he was a bit of a poacher and would shoot 2 or 3 Deer a summer/fall season) and keep the meat in a snow/ice filled potato type cellar when he was up in the hills.
Anyway he would get the steaks (including the tenderloins) and roll them in flour, salt and pepper and then cook them in a cast iron frying pan using butter as a medium.
Then salt and pepper again to taste.
It makes my mouth water just thinking about this!
Anyway I modified his simple Sheepherder Style of cooking venison steaks by using butter and olive oil to cook the steaks in - in a ratio of one to one - and nowadays I use a non-stick fry pan instead of a cast iron pan to cook my venison steaks, tenderloins and filet mignons in!
And, I am very careful not to "over-cook" this delicate meat.
Try this simple method I am sure you will be impressed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Pan fried in butter served with sautéed chanterelles
you guys cook 'em?
Originally Posted by boatboy
You talking these;

or these;

grin

That kind of looks next level
YUM
Hank

Yum
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jeffrey: I harvested what I considered to be a very "mature" Whitetail Buck this year just a day or so before the "rut" started here in SW Montana.
This 11 point (6x5) Whitetail Buck I am sure was at least 5 1/2 years old.
I am also sure he had spent most all his life on the ranch where I got him feasting on Alfalfa!
Anyway even this very mature Buck is providing outstanding table fare for the VarmintFamily and is amazingly tender and delectable the way I cook it!
I prepare the "tenderloins" (as well as the filet mignon cuts) in what I call "Sheepherder Style".
I learned it from my maternal grandfather who in his retirement years would head over to eastern Oregon in the spring and herd sheep for a friend who was also a cattle rancher.
He always brought home a bunch of venison steaks at the end of his season of sheepherding (times were different back then - and I was to young to even comprehend criticizing grandpas actions!).
Grandpa would simply age the meat carefully (he was a bit of a poacher and would shoot 2 or 3 Deer a summer/fall season) and keep the meat in a snow/ice filled potato type cellar when he was up in the hills.
Anyway he would get the steaks (including the tenderloins) and roll them in flour, salt and pepper and then cook them in a cast iron frying pan using butter as a medium.
Then salt and pepper again to taste.
It makes my mouth water just thinking about this!
Anyway I modified his simple Sheepherder Style of cooking venison steaks by using butter and olive oil to cook the steaks in - in a ratio of one to one - and nowadays I use a non-stick fry pan instead of a cast iron pan to cook my venison steaks, tenderloins and filet mignons in!
And, I am very careful not to "over-cook" this delicate meat.
Try this simple method I am sure you will be impressed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

When kids are hungry and food needs to be put on the table... it’s not poaching.
Fester: Back in the 1950's when my Grandfather was doing this (the sheepherding and the taking of some Deer in the summer/fall) my grandparents were indeed bordering right on poor!
I will relay this that back then eastern Oregon where my Grandpa herded sheep the Mule Deer were incredibly numerous. Coyote pelts were valuable and Cougars and other predators were at a low ebb.
In my visits with grandpa I remember seeing huge herds of Mule Deer.
Ranchers actually were rumored to shoot them off their haystacks and just leave them lay in heaps.
My Grandpa (and Grandma) would not have starved without those supplements of Mule Deer but they sure appreciated and looked forward to that wonderful meat.
Were Grandpa to do this type of thing today I would strongly criticize and try to change his behavior.
You are right though if I were to sit on a jury for a man providing meat to his chidren's by poaching "A" Deer I would not find him guilty.
I am thawing some venison filet mignon right now for dinner tonight!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I pound them flat then marinate them in a brandy pepper marinade for 1- 2 hours. I then cook them in a pan with olive oil. Serve with Roquefort butter on the side. Here's a recipe.

Venison with Roquefort butter
Broiled, rare. A lil salt after resting.
Some folks could wrap bacon around dog crap and eat it I guess.
Frying in bacon grease is good too either coated in flour first or not. Learned that from an old Arky coon hunter who is now 83 yrs old. It's yummy
Originally Posted by Nestucca

For the win! Or some morels. I Would go a step further with this and make a cognac cream sauce in the pan, with said mushrooms. Maybe some sliced shallots. Twist on steak Au Poivre.
Grilled. Simple. It's hard to get it served at the table cause everyone is eating it off the cutting board.

I like to shoot the young ones. The meat is a pale pink. cuts with a fork.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
For deer tenderloins generally got set aside when we cut up the deer (at home, after hanging at least overnight). Then when we were done or the next morning cut 1 - 1½ inch thick. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and saute in butter. Now that's a breakfast! If they last that long.

^^This.
My son cuts them into chunks, wraps in bacon with a piece of jalapeno and grills them...until they turn into rubber. Just can't get the kid to understand the concept of neat being 'done' without being incinerated.
Lots of different ways, but we like the cast iron panini press the best !!

Salt, pepper and garlic.

Grill.

Consume immediately. NO REST.

In fact, if you get to cook them....you also get to carve off bits while you cook them.

If they wanted that privilege they should have volunteered to cook them.
Sous vide to rare, finish in a white hot case iron for a little crust.

Unbeatable.
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Pretty much my method also. Garlic salt, pepper, fry in butter to pink inside. We may then use the caribou tenderloins in stir-fry.

If they last that long....and butter works well for cast iron seasoning. win, win.
Iron skillet....Bacon fat, hot iron and fast. Sear-sear and 1 minute each side.done 😎
Not picky and don't have favorite choice cuts, or from what critter come supper time, that said, tenderloin favorite for me is to have Wife whack the hell out of em with tenderizing hammer and cook em in a skillet, then throw about a half dozen eggs beside for breakfast, those two together with black coffee cant be beat!
Whitetail. Bit don’t let that stop you if you have something different.

Cut into medallions about 1/2" thick, roll in flour with a bit of Lowreys seasoning salt and a bit of pepper, fry in hot butter.
I like to cut them into chunks about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2",season with course salt,garlic powder and course ground black pepper,a little olive oil and K-Bob them with a slice of onion between each piece of meat and cook them on the grill.Cooked this way,you get just a little sear on the outside of the meat and I find it really hard to over cook.Should look something like this.I used shallot onion on these.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

For the win! Or some morels. I Would go a step further with this and make a cognac cream sauce in the pan, with said mushrooms. Maybe some sliced shallots. Twist on steak Au Poivre.

Are you cussin' at us??
More recipe ideas to ponder - MAGA!
with butter and onion.fried in a hot cast iron skillet
seasoned to preference and grilled over a wood fire works too...
Simple.Cut to 3/4"-1" thick. Marinate in low salt soy sauce for about 45 minutes. In a cast iron skillet, cook thick cut bacon and some chopped vidalia onions, then sear the loin in the bacon fat and onion. Rest briefly, then eat. I usually will make what I call deer camp mashed potatoes to go with them. Boil some skinned yukon gold potatoes (couple pounds) dice some bacon finely and fry with about 5 cloves of garlic sliced thin until the garlic is transparent. Mix into the potatoes with some butter until creamy. serve with your vegetable of choice. It's the only venison meal guaranteed to have no leftovers.

Old70

The best steak that I ever ate. Caribou tenderloins broiled over the hot coals of our campfire.

[Linked Image]
Saute onions, garlic and mushrooms in clarified bacon oil. Deglaze pan with a red wine, reduce to a sauce. Light pan sear TL in oil, salt and pepper.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Iron skillet....Bacon fat, hot iron and fast. Sear-sear and 1 minute each side.done 😎
That!!!

Did you get burns when you took your panties off while cooking? laugh grin

Do you do backstrap the same way?
It’ll ruin you Jag. wink

I was ruined a long time ago. wink
Originally Posted by tzone

Did you get burns when you took your panties off while cooking? laugh grin

Hehehe. Winner, winner...

Or bearnaise sauce is really good too !

Lots of you pan fry guys here which is kind of a surprise. Only one mention of Lawry's Seasoning Salt so far and they didn't get famous for their restaurant steaks because they didn't know how to season good cuts of meat. Nope, Lawry's and ground pepper on a hot grill no more than medium rare then rest covered for a few minutes served with sauteed fresh mushrooms. I've been accused of making the best steaks lots of our friends have ever eaten. First off you need to start out with a USDA Choice Angus tenderloin. Most places in WI. have burned out old milk cow in their meat case and you need to look real hard for Angus. FL. has as much beef industry as they do citrus and those black beef cattle are all over down here. Kind of pricey vs. milk cow, but worth every penny. We buy a whole choice tenderloin at a time and trim and cut it ourselves.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Beaver10
That!!!

Because of this thread, I cooked some about like that last night, salt and pepper, bacon grease and about 3 minutes per side, they are wonderful and still plenty tender, you can cut em with a fork, after the loin was done, I cut up washed potatoes right over the hot oil, cut in a whole sweet onion, salt and peppered those too, had some loin with eggs and toast for breakfast, there's about 2.5ft of loin left sitting in a covered glass pan, Wife will make something with that this weekend.

Or bearnaise sauce is really good too !

You forgot to cook the meat!
© 24hourcampfire