Home
Posted By: Kenneth66 Keurig - 12/09/19
Been playing with wife’s Keurig coffee maker . Have tried the ones they claim to be zip coffee , but so far not impressed . Have tried most that claim 1.5 times the caffeine . Death Wish , Black Rifle BB , but seems they just ain’t got the punch . Anybody here got a favorite ?
Kenneth
Posted By: Toddly Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Dunkin’ Donuts original blend.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Get one of them little wire baskets that you fill with your own blend.

I like various blends of African coffee.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Have tried that , wife drinks it and maxwell house . Good coffee , just not that one cup zip . Monday mornings I get up at three and drive two hours to work , some mondays I need that zip to keep the eyes open .
After that the rest of the week is a breeze .
Kenneth
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Yes. Kirkland whatever blend.

Cheap filters.

You bourgeois bastids!
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Kirkland Pacific Bold.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Have tried that , wife drinks it and maxwell house . Good coffee , just not that one cup zip . Monday mornings I get up at three and drive two hours to work , some mondays I need that zip to keep the eyes open .
Kenneth

The Keurig my wife brought home has an expresso button.

If you're looking for "zip",...knock back a triple shot of expresso. It's not like honkin' up a line of crank,...but it doesn't miss it by much.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Folgers for me. We were given a Keurig a couple of years ago but hated it. Could not get the taste of plastic put of it. Every cup tasted like plastic. Gave it away stick to drip.
Its wasteful, it is killing the oceans and China is using it to their advantage.......but other than that.........it does seem handy!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Tossed our Keurig in the dumpster last Sat after 2 years.
Good riddence!
Originally Posted by Raeford
Good riddence!

Why didn't you like it?
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
I like my coffee how I like my women.

Hot and Black. Breakfast blend at Wal-Fart is ok.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
2 k-cups of Green Mt. french roast in a 16 oz. insulated cup. Perfect.

mike r
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
I make my own blend using coffee from Strongtree roasters, a local Gainesville company. I have a Kerrigan $20 knockoff. I use the little reusable basket.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good riddence!

Why didn't you like it?

It had become cranky and slow as hell, half cup sometimes, full cup other times.
Cool. thanks.

Never been around one. I suppose you are not supposed to take it apart and clean it.
We descaled it regularly, didn't help.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
A $12 french press and whatever coffee is on sale for <$4 a bag.

A cup of coffee that way costs about a nickel a cup.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Keurig - 12/09/19

ya same with ours. multiple actually. cleaning/descaling didn't work. i really didn't care for the coffee and i'm not picky. tossed it and got a ninja. those brew good joe.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Kirkland Pacific Bold.

I like it too. One big mug is perfect for me. Two and I get jumpy.

Costco also sells San Francisco Bay French Roast that is nice and strong. Plus the cup is biodegradable.

Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Starbucks Pike Place pods has some kick.

Will try the Costco Kirkland Pacific Bold mentioned above.

For in the truck, an astute member here recommended a Hamilton Beach and I got their Flex Brew model. Simpler mechanism than the Keurigs, no BS sensors to fail and is compact. It's been rough and tumble for 1.5 years without a glitch. Heck of a good way to roll! Thanks to whomever made the recommendation.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
My kids love it. Anything high school kids love is probably a bad idea.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

For in the truck, an astute member here recommended a Hamilton Beach and I got their Flex Brew model. Simpler mechanism than the Keurigs, no BS sensors to fail and is compact. It's been rough and tumble for 1.5 years without a glitch. Heck of a good way to roll! Thanks to whomever made the recommendation.

I tried the HB Flex Brew, it blew up all of my DD pods, back to RK it went and I resigned my self to the old standard auto drip.

It may be time to break out the old percolator, haven't used it in a long time.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by Bristoe

This ain't one is it?

Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Kenneth

The Keurig my wife brought home has an expresso button.

If you're looking for "zip",...knock back a triple shot of expresso. It's not like honkin' up a line of crank,...but it doesn't miss it by much.

Lol , ok not even going to ask . like so many things in life , the zip is harder to come by as you get older . Others say the Hi Rev and such give them the shakes too . Guess it’s just me wanting twenty years of youth energy in a 1 buck cup . Yeah I like the dark rich coffee too .
Kenneth
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Vote here for Green Mountain products
Posted By: JGray Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
My wife likes lighter roasts and some flavored coffees and I prefer the darker/bolder roasts (usually French Roast or similar) so the 'brew one cup at a time' approach works best for us. We have a Keurig that she really likes and I use it when I want a quick cup for the drive to work. I've tried numerous dark/bold and French Roasts in the Keurig and have found one I like better than the others (Solimo French Roast - we order it from Amazon).

That said, I much prefer my Aeropress for making single cups and really like Seattle's Best Post Alley roast from it.
Posted By: JGray Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Vote here for Green Mountain products

I'll have to try the Green Mountain - that's one I haven't tried.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
I'm fond of Caribou and Fourbucks(Starbucks) Pikes Blend. It's definitely not french pressed coffee but it's damn convenient.
Posted By: BIGR Re: Keurig - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by Toddly
Dunkin’ Donuts original blend.

That is my favorite.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I won't waste the money on hundreds of dinky little cups. I brew a 12 cup pot.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Keurig - 12/10/19

I tried the HB Flex Brew, it blew up all of my DD pods, back to RK it went and I resigned my self to the old standard auto drip.

It may be time to break out the old percolator, haven't used it in a long time.

DD? Dang. I did learn not to operate a Keurig that's been sitting at -20F.... Enough ice pluggage to cause a pretty alarming steam explosion.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Starbucks dark French roast brewed on the strong setting is my fix. Think we've had ours about 6 years it blinks at me to descale once in a while and a how to web link. And then I see a squirrel. Still works perfect but we've got really good water here. Still gotta get to that one of these days tho
Posted By: Deans Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Use Keurig Monday thru Friday, Folgers Classic Roast. Have to use the strong setting to make it taste ok. Weekends use the Aero Press makes a better cup of coffee just takes longer.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Keurig - 12/10/19

Same here. Pitched it, pulled out the old school Mr.Coffee and never been happier. Dunkin Donuts, cheap filters, thermos full every morning and a cup in hand.
Posted By: skeen Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Green Mountain Breakfast Blend. Sometimes my wife buys Dunkin' Donuts and it's petty good too.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I have tried a Keuig that we had at work but I prefer the French Press.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
We have a Nespresso too. It's for the daughter but when Im not rushed I enjoy espresso.
Posted By: jbuck Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
For the kurieg the only thing I've found that works is 2 pods per cup. We have a kurieg, French press, and espresso maker in our kitchen. We use the espresso most of the time, but when forced to use the kurieg I will make 2 short cups for 1 mug of coffee.
Posted By: lastround Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I’m just gonna stick with the Bunn drip.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
My Keurig is still cranking out around 15 cups a day of San Francisco Bay French Roast beans that I grind and fill those re-useable Keurig plastic cups with the screen in them. I like it strong and I can get two heaping full tablespoons of gounds in them. I then set the taste to Strong and 8 oz and start drinking !
My wife won't drink my coffee, so she uses the Pacific Bold which is good if I am too lazy to grind more beans.
The only thing I do to keep it running is to de-scale it with vinegar when it gets slow and de-crud the machinery in the top.

We have been using it like that for around 5 or more years.

The machine has 10 oz setting, but it seems kind of weak that way. Jim, if you ever happen to come through Columbus let me know --I will give you a tour of my Keurig!

Ken

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Haha!

Yeah buddy!
Posted By: shaman Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I've been packing this into reuseable K-Cups:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5E0D8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lavazza Crema e Gusto Ground Coffee Blend, Espresso Dark Roast

It gets this old fart moving in the morning.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I buy pods at Ollies. 100/$20-30.
French, Italian, dark roast.
Whatever.
Family wasn't into coffee, so I grew up drinking whatever
someone had/whatever I bought in a truck stop or c-store.
Never really learned to be brand loyal.
Just know strong and straight.

The keurig is convient, at a bit of cost.
I do not understand using the little baskets.
I guess you can be a Keurig snob while being a cheap SOB.

If I have to Jack with measuring coffee and screwing with filters,
I will break out the programmable Mr Coffee.
Then it will be waiting for me in the AM.

Funny, that.

I have the Mr Coffee.
Mrs grumbled about it sitting on the counter.
I got ticked and took it to the basement, buying my coffee
On the way to work.

For Christmas a couple years later...
she got me...a keurig.

Never mind that it is bigger, and more expensive than my old maker.

She is the best woman I know in our age group.
But,
Well,
She IS a woman.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Keurig is the cats meow at work were most prefer colored water, I travel around to different buildings and always have a few Kcups in the bag,, I buy Mauds Kcups on Amazon, pick the NRA or another charity with Amazon Kind.

Maude's has some good dark n strong blends with funny names. Catch them on sell and buy by the box of 100 and they are pretty cheap. I recommend all the below varieties. Brew on strong and 10oz

Espresso Yourself
Tall Dark and Handsome
French Roast from the coast
Kona Coast
Posted By: chris_c Re: Keurig - 12/10/19

Use the refillable, pick your blend, and its a lot cheaper
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
The wife got me a Kuerig for Fathers Day probably five years ago. It is still chugging along just fine in spite of the hard water from living in the limestone capital of the world.
It is simple with three cup settings and I just love it. I find I waste less coffee with it. Instead of making a whole pot and only drinking half of it I just make a cup at a time.
I love Eight o’clocks Dark Italian Roast but most of the time I just drink the Victor Allen French Roast from Rural King because it’s cheap, but good!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by JGray
My wife likes lighter roasts and some flavored coffees and I prefer the darker/bolder roasts (usually French Roast or similar) so the 'brew one cup at a time' approach works best for us. We have a Keurig that she really likes and I use it when I want a quick cup for the drive to work. I've tried numerous dark/bold and French Roasts in the Keurig and have found one I like better than the others (Solimo French Roast - we order it from Amazon).

That said, I much prefer my Aeropress for making single cups and really like Seattle's Best Post Alley roast from it.

thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to order one of those Aeropress things for ages and kept forgetting. Amazon will have it here tomorrow. Merry Christmas to me. lol
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
We've had our Keurig since they first got them in, at Costco, and also like the Starbucks dark french roast the best.

We bought some of the Pacific Bold from Costco, and it plugged up our machine.

We ALWAYS use distilled water. Seems to keep our machine working good.

Virgil B.
Posted By: mart Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I use a Keurig with a basket for my own coffee. I like Peet's Italian roast. Good strong coffee without being bitter or sour. So many of the so called strong coffees just taste sour to me.

I love coffee but honestly never get a boost from it. Not even from shots of expresso.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by Tyrone
A $12 french press and whatever coffee is on sale for <$4 a bag.

A cup of coffee that way costs about a nickel a cup.

Wife and I each have a single-mug French press. Great for one cup at home. We travel with them and a bag of kaladi brothers coffee.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I read something about how many million of those cups are hitting landfills every day. It's enough to start causing overflow problems in some places. They aren't those dangerous plastic straws, anyway.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
How do coffee grounds know what delivers the hot water across them?
Posted By: CascadeJinx Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Kirkland Pacific Bold.

+ 1 on the Kirkland Pacific Bold! One of my favorites.
Posted By: smokinggun Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

thanks for the reminder. I have been meaning to order one of those Aeropress things for ages and kept forgetting. Amazon will have it here tomorrow. Merry Christmas to me. lol

I just ordered one too! Also got a electric cordless kettle.

Thanks!
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
I buy the Donut Shop pods from Costco. I will have to try the Kirkland Pacific Bold. It's way cheaper.....last time I bought I noticed that.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Keurig - 12/10/19
Kenneth66: Folgers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Just picked up some Seattle's best-French Roast pods yesterday.

Had two of 'em, on the lowest setting on my machine this AM.

It made about 3/4 of a cup with two pods. GOOD, STRONG coffee!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Wife brought home a Keurig a while back.
What an effing joke.
I want a pot of coffee in the morning....not some petite girl's cup of coffee.
Throw that thing in the garbage.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Kirkland Pacific Bold.

That’s what we use exclusively.

We also like Green Mountain Dark Magic.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Ollies?
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
The good ol days...you guys sound like a bunch of queers.

Le Presse Frenche! laugh
Posted By: EdM Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Cocktail machine.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/drinkworks-keurig-homebar-pod-cocktail-machine/
Posted By: mart Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
The good ol days...you guys sound like a bunch of queers.

Folgers = floor sweepings
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Ollies?

A discounter here.

Ollies. "Good stuff cheap"

One of those places that carries whatever closeout, buyout, overage
stuff they can get.

They always have k-cups, but you can never be sure what kind.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
We use Buzz Box coffee we buy from the Rick and Bubba radio show website. It is a low acid coffee. My wife has acid reflux and this coffee doesn't bother her reflux. We don't use the k cups but they do have them.
Thanks.... I dig outlets. I bought some pods packaged as being strong at Grocery Outlet and it tasted like a dirty sock. ( I am guessing on the sock taste based on smell.)

Here's an action shot. Cup of Pike Place for about $0.50 on the side of the freeway. Life's is good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Pepto and Lysol, tools of the trade!
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Wife brought home a Keurig a while back.
What an effing joke.
I want a pot of coffee in the morning....not some petite girl's cup of coffee.
Throw that thing in the garbage.

lol, not for everybody, sounds like.
I use a 4 cup Mr Coffee at home, we have a Keurig at work. the "large" setting gives about 1/2 of a medium mug.
Posted By: mart Re: Keurig - 12/11/19
I like the Keurig over a pot. I never found a pot that kept the coffee hot without burning it. Or it would not keep the coffee hot enough. If I need a huge cup of coffee I run it twice. I have two of the baskets so it doesn't take long to make a thermos mug full of strong coffee.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Keurig - 12/12/19
I use the darkest roast I can buy.
Make a large and a small.
That and 2 ice cubes need a sip out to fit
The Yeti.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Keurig - 12/12/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Aeropress or if I'm lazy, a 5 cup Mister Coffee using either Cafe Bustelo or beans from a local roaster I know.
© 24hourcampfire