Home
Posted By: CCCC Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
Even though we have a bunch of trucks - all about 50 years old except two - my recent tire buying experience has been limited to one 20 year old big Dodge, and have been running a set of Cooper ATs on it for quite a while.

Now am needing tires for a recently acquired 15 year-old Chev 3/4 ton 4wd and don't know much about the brands/prices being quoted by a smaller independent local tire shop. I want to support the local business if possible. There must be a ton of good info from guys at this site that could be helpful for me and probably a lot of others here.

So, if you have experience with all-terrain tread Hankook, Toyo or Sumitomo Load Range "E" (10 ply and 16 inch probably 245/75R) I would appreciate any assessment. If you are very strong on another brand in this type, would like to hear why.

As for price including mount/balance and heavy local tax, how does about $900 out the door sound? The Sumitomo would be about $740.

Thanks for any advice.
If you aren't going to be in significant mud, the Hankook Dyanpro AT-M is a great tire.
Posted By: JGray Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
There's been several threads on truck tires in the Hunting Trucks and 4x4 forum down below that might be worth a look see. One of them is fairly current and should be on page 1. With that, of the tires you mention, the Hankook is a very popular truck tire around here. Though I haven't run them myself, I know numerous folks that do and are quite happy with them.

As to price, I just put a set of Nitto Exo Grapplers on my 3/4 ton Dodge (285/70-17, load range E), and they were $1,004 out the door from a local shop (no sales tax).
Posted By: JTman Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
I just had 4 Cooper A/T 4s's put on my 2017 Chevy Crew 1/2 ton (18 inch) for a little less than $800... I thought that was a good deal on a good tire.
900 is a good deal......if there is road hazard and free balance and rotates.

As Sockpuppet Esq has stated, the Hancook is a great tire for the money.

The Cooper AT's have not been as good for us.

The only Toyo's I have bought have been M-55's. What tire are you looking at? The Open Country?

Sumitomo is not familiar to me.......but I see a lot of "Falken" tires about. Mostly on feed pickups with lots of miles. Must be good tires.
Hankooks are made in Clarksville Tenn. Not sure if Billings makes tires.

No idea if they specifically make your size in my local economy but either way, a plug for a local bis.
Doood.....what is with the Billings deal?

Before my time I am sure....but WTF?
Been running Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms on our Tundra since we replaced the OEM tires at about 25K miles. With the odometer in excess of 219K miles, we are on our third set. My wife has been able to trash two with rock cuts, but I have never had problem in some pretty rough stuff--both down here in the Boot Heel and in several late season hunts up in GMU 17.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
According to my local tire store the Sumitomo is the same tire, made in the same factory as the Falken Wildpeak which gets very good reviews. There may be some very minor tread pattern differences, but basically the same tire.

I've gotten good service out of Cooper AT/3's. I just took a set off my F150 with 57,000 miles and still had enough tread to be legal for another 5000-7000 miles. But with winter coming and chances of snow wanted new tires. I had no complaints with the Coopers.

BUT... I bought these instead.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/lt275-70r18e-at-50000/prod22100456?xid=plp_product_1_26

They are a new tire without a lot of feedback but I decided to try them. Sams' has them $80 off for a set + I got another $60 off via a Black Friday special. I paid $814 OTD including all taxes and fees for a set of E rated LT275/70/18's. That was cheaper than I could have gotten Cooper or Falken and only about $50 more than Sumitomo.

It is hard to tell from the photo,but this is a pretty aggressive tire. More so than the BFG KO2's and almost $400 cheaper for a set. I have less than 400 miles on them so I can't give any meaningful evaluation. But so far I'm not finding anything not to like.

FWIW, I was told the same Black Friday price was going to be used for a one day only sale on Dec. 14.
Posted By: hanco Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
I have BF Goodrich. They last a long time, 70,000 miles.
I was in tires years back and you just cant go wrong all around with BFG All Terrains. If you rotate them they wear like iron. I had seen some with near 80k on them. Work well in snow, rain, ice. No matter what u buy ROTATE THEM. It makes a big difference
Posted By: CCCC Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
Good info flowing here - thanks a lot. Any others?
Posted By: wat Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
Dang.. I cant seem to get new tires for my truck for less than 1k... Using some cooper All Terrains right now that have been rock solid, have gone through several sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers and those are great tires as well. I want to say I got close to 80k miles with the nittos, and currently probably have 40k on the coopers and they still have plenty of life left in them, probably get another 20k out of the coopers. Cant remember the exact coopers but they're a fairly aggressive tread A/T. Also, they're on a 1500 that doesn't do a large amount of towing.
I get 90-100k on every set of yokohamas
Originally Posted by CCCC

I've posted in a couple of different places on these, but I've been running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W for around 10K miles (I think). I've been favorably impressed in every regard so far. Towing heavy, sand, snow, rocky roads, and even mud. They aren't a mud tire but did fine in our latest hunt over in unit 15. I fugured I'd need the tire chains but I never took them out of the bed. I'd buy them again.
Why not stick with the Coopers? I have their AT3's in 10 ply, no issues.

Originally Posted by wat
Dang.. I cant seem to get new tires for my truck for less than 1k... Using some cooper All Terrains right now that have been rock solid, have gone through several sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers and those are great tires as well. I want to say I got close to 80k miles with the nittos, and currently probably have 40k on the coopers and they still have plenty of life left in them, probably get another 20k out of the coopers. Cant remember the exact coopers but they're a fairly aggressive tread A/T. Also, they're on a 1500 that doesn't do a large amount of towing.

1K???
I put a set of AT3's on my truck last year. Paid $150 a tire.
I had a set of Toyo M55s that were excellent, lasted forever and performed great on and off road.

Bought another identical pickup that came with a brand new set of Toyo Open Countrys on it. They were absolutely garbage and completely shot in 30k or so.

Never had either of the other brands you listed.
Posted By: tzone Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
I have pathfinder AT’s from discount tire. They’re made by Hankook. So far, one of the best sets of tires I’ve had for winter traction. Time will tell on how long they last. I only have 9k on em. But, they look new.
I have a set of Toyo Open Country load range E tires LT295/65R20 on my 2005 Dodge 2500. They are supposed to be a 65k mile tire and it looks like they might be but they are DANGEROUS on wet pavement. My SIL has Toyo Open Country tires on his Chevy and Ford pickups and has the same problems on wet pavement. Michelin has a set just my Toyo tires like these that I'll probably try when I wear these out.
I've had good luck with hancook and cooper AT's. I'm trying some procomp at's on my 2500, not sure on those yet. I never get more than 30k a set out of any of them, the procomps were at least cheap.
I have BFG AT 315/70/17 on my jeep wrangler that is parked during the winter because I use my 08 Ram for plowing. I have less than 13000 on the Jeep and tires but they are weather checked between the tread already,thinking because it's not driven in the winter months. My Toyota I had in 2002-20012 had BFG AT on them the entire time,couldn't wear them out. My Ram has good year duri-grip and they are ok but not great,actually suck plowing snow at times.
Posted By: ISRO Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/10/19
Duratracs
Joken2
Interesting video. Acoustics, otherwise known as highway howlers or not.
Slum
Chinese, but made with American labor

Local tire shop I use (one of the biggest in the state) highly recommended Sumitomos. Put a set on a drw f350 and my 2500 dodge megacab this year.

Shop had all their service trucks shod with sumitomos.

Work well in snow and ok in mud. Fair priced.
I bought a set of Falcon Wildpeaks- 10 ply. They are the best winter tire I have ever owned. Just put a set on my truck to get me through until May.
Posted By: CRS Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/11/19
The last three sets we have bought have been Falken Wildpeak AT3. They are my goto tire for now.

This after having used BFG AT's, Goodyear wrangler, and Coopers. Never tried Hancook.
BFG KO2's = run away from these 83 miles to work and back on blacktop, wore the rear rubber in 1/2 in 3 months frown went back to Sam's club and they gave me 2 new tires . Sold them off fast , took the lost and went back to coopers.....
Posted By: tcb22 Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/11/19
Got a set of the Sumitomo encounter AT's, 10 ply, absolutely love them. Would buy them again in a heart beat. Sumitomo has other brands just like every other tire company out there. The Falken Wildpeak AT3 is basically the same tire with a little difference in the treat pattern and a slightly less millage warranty.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have BF Goodrich. They last a long time, 70,000 miles.

This. Best tire made for rough country, oil field cliche, mesquite, grease wood, no road cross country and city and hwy driving. Expect 70,000.

The only tire better for off road has steel sidewalls.
I've had a couple of sets of Cooper tires on my Dodge Ram 2500 because Ali gives me a good deal on them.

They claim they'll last 35k miles but they don't even come close to that kind of mileage before they're balding.

I'm paying attention to this thread.
I have BF Goodrich. They last a long time, 70,000 miles

The original tires on my F350 and their mileage matched yours. Not found anything that can do more than half of that.
I bought a set of Coopers for my Tundra after seeing my neighbor friend use a set on his farm truck for years. To say he neglects brush control in his pastures would be severely understating it. They are covered in honey locust thorns. We ride the farm several days a week looking for hogs. He bought road hazard coverage and doesn't worry about driving over thorns and lots of them. In several years now he hasn't gotten a puncture. I would have figured one trip and he'd be on four flats but it hasn't happened yet. But I'm not driving my tires over them. We go in his truck if we are getting off the roads.
Tires are like hunting boots. Good ones are worth the extra coin. Depending on what you're doing with it you may buy for ride quality or mileage, where I always go for traction and good sidewalls. Just because a tire works for one doesn't make it good for you. I have used a lot of Coopers, BFG, but I put some Mickey Thompson MTZ's on my 1 ton for winter, and have used some Goodyears also but was unimpressed until the DuraTrac.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/11/19
Had a set of cooper atp’s on a diesel 2500 crew cab. I liked them until I had a broken belt failure and premature wear. Running a set of bfg ko2’s now. So far they are great, but I would have said the same thing about the coopers at the same mileage. One plus is a replacement bfg is available most anywhere that sells tires. The cooper is a discount tire exclusive. The bfg’s win in the looks department...if that matters to you.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
If you aren't going to be in significant mud, the Hankook Dyanpro AT-M is a great tire.

This is right here Paul....

running sets of them on my Pilot and 4 Runner.... getting great wear out of them... lasting a long time...
plus no tires going bad to slipped belts etc...

If you want to stay with Arizona, Discount Tire Direct.. I do the commercial guys.. don't know if better price, but they are $70/ $80 each cheaper than buying them from one of their local stores....

you can also order the same tires thru Walmart tires on line.. similar prices...

either way, you can take them down to a local Walmart and get them mounted and balanced..

if ordered thru Wally World, they mount them free and road hazard is an extra $12 per tire...

if ordered thru Discount Tire Direct, for $15 per tire, they will give you a ( literal) no questions asked replacement...

I've had several tires, non replaceable due to road hazard... called them and they just shipped me a new one...

I run 245/70/16s and those ran me about $104 apiece the last time I ordered a couple....replacing the back ones off the Pilot...which had 106,000 miles on them..
and they still had tread on them... if it wasn't due to winter, and all the Oregon Wet Weather, I would have left them on the vehicle, as they still have decent tread left
instead they are now regulated to Spare Tire Service...

I took these over to the Comm College, at the Automotive program I am a volunteer for... so I mounted them and balanced them over there myself on some brand new John Beam computerized balancer, and mounted them on a real full feature machine.... so that cost me nothing....

did the same thing for winter tires for the Camry... $75 per tire, $15 for road hazard replacement, and then mounted and balanced them over at the college..

Hope this finds your health doing well Paul.... and Merry Christmas to you, Maddie and the rest of your family....

cheers and best regards
john chr/ seafire
Posted By: K1500 Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/11/19
One thing about the bfg’s, they make a DT version in select sizes that is not 3 peak mountain rated but is made to last a lot longer under a heavy truck. Make sure you know what version you are getting.
I put four Kelly Edge AT 265/75R16 load range E tires on my 06 Duramax for $650 out the door. I got a 10% military discount or it would have been over $700. They aren't the most aggressive tire, but so far they provide a good and relatively quiet ride. If I get 2-2.5 years out of them I'll be happy, I drive a lot of dirt roads and pastures with my pickups so I never ge close to the mileage.
Even though we have a bunch of trucks - all about 50 years old except two - my recent tire buying experience has been limited to one 20 year old big Dodge, and have been running a set of Cooper ATs on it for quite a while.

Now am needing tires for a recently acquired 15 year-old Chev 3/4 ton 4wd and don't know much about the brands/prices being quoted by a smaller independent local tire shop. I want to support the local business if possible. There must be a ton of good info from guys at this site that could be helpful for me and probably a lot of others here.

So, if you have experience with all-terrain tread Hankook, Toyo or Sumitomo Load Range "E" (10 ply and 16 inch probably 245/75R) I would appreciate any assessment. If you are very strong on another brand in this type, would like to hear why.

As for price including mount/balance and heavy local tax, how does about $900 out the door sound? The Sumitomo would be about $740.

Thanks for any advice.

Why not stick with the Coopers? On a 3/4 ton anything it will be hard to find a "magic" tire that gets great traction and mileage. I'm sure you know this, but on a heavy truck you get one or the other, never both. I run the Cooper AT3 XLT and they do just as good or better than anything else I see or hear about. Over the years I've tried Mastercraft (owned by Cooper), Kelly and Goodyear, but they all wear about the same. Besides, Hankook is a Korean company and Cooper is based in Ohio. I damn sure wouldn't be sending any of my American dollars to Korea....
Discount Tire Pathfinder AT.

Hankook discontinued the Dynapro AT-M in favor of the AT-2.
Discount Tire bought the molds and has Hankook make them for their store brand.
I got 96000 miles on my first set of Dynapros and I’m hoping for the same performance from these.
We have had multiple sets of the now discontinued Hankook Dynapro ATM and they have been good.
(diesel F350 DRW)

Have a set of Toyo Open Country AT's on a pickup we don't use much, no opinion as only 2-3k miles on them.
(diesel F350 DRW)

And I'm about ready to get a third set of Cooper ST Maxx on my F350.
(diesel F350 SRW)

Figured I get about 35k miles which is about what we get with the Hankooks.

They aren't cheap, over $200 apiece here locally but I never rotate and rarely get a flat so I like 'em.
i run a fleet of trucks, 50/50 gravel roads, paved roads, with snow ice mud ect thrown in, have tried the brands mentioned in the thread, so far the falken AT and the MT tire has been the best overall, mileage, traction, flats and sidewall damage,, they have tough side wall, we average 48000-50000 miles per set, i buy 20 sets a year or so,,,,
Posted By: CRS Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by K1500
One thing about the bfg’s, they make a DT version in select sizes that is not 3 peak mountain rated but is made to last a lot longer under a heavy truck. Make sure you know what version you are getting.

Good to know as I never got anywhere close to to the mileage claims of the BFG from above.

The place I get my Falkens from runs them on their trucks that get a lot of gravel time and are getting 60k out of them. I am over 40k on one set and they are looking good to 60k. 10 ply, and get a mix of highway, gravel, and towing.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Doood.....what is with the Billings deal?

Before my time I am sure....but WTF?

When Larry was there last summer they didn't honor his good consumer discount at Walmart and it apparently also pissed him off that The Billings Walmart that he visited was bigger than his home store in LALA land. And the CICI pizza was 6 blocks away from WalMart. A major logistics problem that he had to report to the other Larry in case he ever travels to Montana.

Some people are never happy unless they can stir over what makes them unhappy.

I like the Goodrich all-terrain tires for both road and off-road. But I don't farm/ranch or use them heavily off-road like some do.
Posted By: 673 Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/11/19
BFG all terrains on both my 1 ton dually's that I use for my firewood business. In the bush everyday in some pretty nasty spots, never had a problem with puncture's, tearing, etc... There might be quieter and prettier tires, but they have been good to me.

Just installed these on the '05 Taco.....last month

LT265-75x16 Goodyear Ultra Terrains.....Discount Tire Direct

Black Friday deal....$1370 shipped with new wheels..road haz....new lugs......

after 15% DTD rebate.....sold old tires/wheels for $225....GY rebate of $60...final cost...$885

Anxious to see how they hold up......have busted KO2's (road debry) Cooper AT3's (rocks)

Other highly rated tires are the Falkin WP3's

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by k20350
I was in tires years back and you just cant go wrong all around with BFG All Terrains. If you rotate them they wear like iron. I had seen some with near 80k on them. Work well in snow, rain, ice. No matter what u buy ROTATE THEM. It makes a big difference

I get 80k per set on my Toyota Tacoma. I havent used another tire that strikes a perfect balance. Between wear,traction off road and traction on snow/ice.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/14/19
Thanks to all for your posts on this one. You have been very educative and helpful. I had no bad experience with the Cooper tires but felt that I needed to see if there is something better for our current use. The decision came down to the three brands most recommended by this group and due to quick availability, price and good extras, I went to a local small shop and got the set of Hankooks - moved down to the 245 size - for out the door price of $855, including free lifetime rotation and repairs for any flats.. Immediately drove 40 miles on the freeway and all felt good - steering is even steadier, minimal tire noise and the truck seems to sit down on the road a bit better.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Quak Re: Truck tires - current brands - 12/14/19
BFG All Terrain KO2. I get about 70,000 miles a set and wheel all the time. Have them on a my 4runner and Taco.
Had a set of Centennial Terra Commanders on a 1996 K1500 W/T that would go anywhere on the farm I pointed the truck. About $800 for the set.

Just put a set of Hercules Avalanche Xtreme on a 2005 diesel Dodge W2500 SRW. Have been pleased with them so far for traction and road noise. Run the truck about 5,000 miles per year. Planning to run these year round to see how long they last.
I’m running Yokohama Geolander 003. They’re considered an aggressive all terrain tire, but they look much like a mud tire. I only run 10 plys due to the crap I hunt in and how much I tow. I don’t like flats, especially in the middle of nowhere. I was afraid they’d be loud, but I’ve been really surprised. Others that have ridden in my truck have said the same thing. They aren’t overly expensive and they seem to wear really well. Just another option if you’re interested.

Go to Coopers web site and check the various brands they manufacture.....I'm on my second set of "Mastercraft" and if I live long enough, I'll buy them again...
© 24hourcampfire