Home
Posted By: Sharpsman Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Gunner500 just drove this one's whacker in the dirt with his .58 caliber muzzleloader! 140 grains FF KIK BP with a 280 gr. patched round ball! Way to go Gunner! CONGRATS!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]49-C11932-222-E-452-F-A7-D7-486-A019452-D1 by Sharps Man, on [bleep]

The 'red spots' shown in photo ARE NOT berries; rather pieces of meat blown out the backside!!
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Beautiful animal and a really cool plains rifle! It doesn't appear that there was much follow-up tracking involved.
Posted By: specialK Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Congrats Gunner. Nice buck
Posted By: JeffA Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Sweet!
Nice job, ya need to find a outdoors forum to post this in where people have interest in hunting.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Noice!!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
A .58 caliber Hawken! That is one badass rifle.
I have killed a dozen deer and hogs with my muzzleloaders, using a .50 round ball, and I always was impressed with how lethal the round ball is. Whatever the .50 will do, the .58 will do better.

140 grains of powder, and a 280 grain round ball, Good God! That thing is cranking out some foot pounds. I was using 80 grains of powder.
Posted By: hanco Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Congrats, very nice buck!!
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Very nice, good job.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
That's cool !

Congrats !
Posted By: slumlord Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Damn fine deer!!!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Impressive!

That is a slick rifle too.
That would be considered a true trophy in my neck of the woods.

Good going Gunner500.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Sweet!
Nice job, ya need to find a outdoors forum to post this in where people have interest in hunting.
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

There's a few of us that appreciate it here above and beyond the latest "favorite casserole" threads.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
WOW!!!
Can't wait to see it all hauled out and a few more pics posted.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Awesome Buck!
Awesome rifle!
I’ll bet that load and a traditional Hawken buttplate will get one’s attention!!!
Posted By: skeen Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Great buck, Gunner!
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Nice buck .. and with a .58 as well!! Sweet! Congratulations!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Congratulations
Posted By: CraigD Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
That's one hell of a deer! Congratulations
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
That's a damned fine animal. Thanks for sharing it for Gunner. Oklahoma or Arkansas?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Great buck by any method!
Posted By: acy Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Congratulations Gunner500! Beautiful buck and rifle.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
That's what muzzleloading should be, iron sights and patch&ball. Great deer!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
A .58 caliber Hawken! That is one badass rifle.
I have killed a dozen deer and hogs with my muzzleloaders, using a .50 round ball, and I always was impressed with how lethal the round ball is. Whatever the .50 will do, the .58 will do better.

140 grains of powder, and a 280 grain round ball, Good God! That thing is cranking out some foot pounds. I was using 80 grains of powder.

Exactly what I was thinking.........foot pounds and recoil.

One of my old muzzleloading teachers had a saying for that..............."Kills at one end and wounds at the other".

Nice deer Gunner.

Geno
Posted By: jnyork Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/13/19
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
That's what muzzleloading should be, iron sights and patch&ball. Great deer!

Amen. A REAL muzzleloader.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Many Thanks for all the congrats Men, it was a hell of a brutally cold hunt up in Kansas, but dang worth every minute, if one ever needs to fly a kite, that state will certainly NOT disappoint. smile

FWIW, this old bruiser has a 20 inch inside spread with 12 and 12.5 inch G2's, 5 and 6 inch eyeguards, old Bud said he'd score 160 or a bit more if that means anything, best we can guesstimate he weighed near 275 lbs on the hoof, an old bruiser, I'm very proud and feel blessed to be a part of getting to hunt him.
That big 58 cal round ball was still carrying enough heavy freight to blast completely through the ribs at 133 yards, exit wound was a silver dollar sized hole, he had coughed up all kinds of chunks and blood while dying, as macabre as that may sound to some it was all over really quick, he never got his running gear back under himself after catching that 58 cal ball.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Posted By: roundoak Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
It doesn't look like you were handicapped the least bit with that smokepole. Awesome buck, congrats.
Hard to get my mind around those midwest whitetails.

160lb-175lb is a large, heavy Tn buck. πŸ˜„
Posted By: 1minute Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Great job! Rut in progress there?
Thank You slumlord and roundoak, no handicap whatsoever, that rifle is a purpose built exact copy of an S Hawken percussion rifle, it's load of choice is 140 grains of 2F black powder under that 58 cal ball, iirc it leaves the rifle at near 1800 fps.
You bet Slum, a 175 pounder is about average around here for a mature white tail buck, something in the dirt up that way Buddy ; ]

1minute, Yessir, they are after the girls that didn't get bred the first time around roughly a month ago, the bucks I couldn't get next to were ALL with yearling doe that had just came in, the great big long tall girls were already bred.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
That's just badass cool.
Thanks Gringo Loco ; ]
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Holy chyt!!!
That buck is a brute!!!

Congrats man!!!!!
Originally Posted by renegade50
Holy chyt!!!
That buck is a brute!!!

Congrats man!!!!!

Thanks renegade50, I damn near tore the dump bed off old Buds Polaris Ranger getting that pig loaded up! blush laugh
Back in the day my old school 50 renegade would put a thump on deer.
Most times the round would lodge under the opposite side hide beyond 75 or 80 yards.

That 58 of yours gunner waylayed that buck!!!
Especially at that range.

Congrats!!!!!

I got 1 buck tag left .
You just gave me some motivation again!!!!
I need ta get the fugg out in the woodline.
Aint been since last sunday.
Posted By: szihn Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
OUTSTANDING!!!!

Kudos. A real find buck with a REAL muzzleloader
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Cool Buck Gunner. Nice Smokepole. No Sabots smile
LOL, yes, same thing Sharpsguy told me, a 50 would exit about half the time, a 54 a little more, my 58 has exited everything so far, I wont lie and say I don't cast those balls a little harder at 20 to 1 alloy, I'm looking for an exit regardless of what I hunt with, I like two bleeder holes, bet most do. smile

Good luck and get out there and bust one Buddy.
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Cool Buck Gunner. Nice Smokepole. No Sabots smile

grin Thanks Charles, and yes, no plastic in sight ; ]
Interesting side bar
Most of the deer restocking on ft campbell in the late 60,s and early 70,s were oklahoma bucks and Wisconsin does in addition to existing tn and ky deer.
Then TN also used Ft campbell deer for restocking also.
So ya got oklahoma, wisconsin, kentucky and Tennessee gene,s running around this upper middle tn and southern middle kentucky area.
Originally Posted by szihn
OUTSTANDING!!!!

Kudos. A real find buck with a REAL muzzleloader

Thanks Mr. Zihn, that 8 bore I have You built would do the same on American buffalo, moose or elk, I have no doubt.
Interesting side bar
Most of the deer restocking on ft campbell in the late 60,s and early 70,s were oklahoma bucks and Wisconsin does in addition to existing tn and ky deer.
Then TN also used Ft campbell deer for restocking also.
So ya got oklahoma, wisconsin, kentucky and Tennessee gene,s running around this upper middle tn and southern middle kentucky area.

Hell of a bloodline there Rene.
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, yes, same thing Sharpsguy told me, a 50 would exit about half the time, a 54 a little more, my 58 has exited everything so far, I wont lie and say I don't cast those balls a little harder at 20 to 1 alloy, I'm looking for an exit regardless of what I hunt with, I like two bleeder holes, bet most do. smile

Its rifle here, I need ta bust the cherry on my 8mm.
Gawd knows what it has killed in previous hands.
Just concerned about mine.

Lol!!!
You'll get it done, I have faith ; ]
Wonder how many Germans my swede has ventilated.

It's sent several deer to Valhalla. πŸ˜„
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
awesome buck gunner! and that assault rifle is the cats meow!
Thanks deerstalker, it sure puts the numb on em ; ]
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Nice buck, very cool rifle and a very cool way to hunt. How much does that Hawken Rifle weigh?

mike r
Thank You Mike, that rifle weighs a bit North of 12.5 lbs.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I dont even wanta think about the history of a 1939 K98 before it got sporterized into a hunting rifle by Sako after the war.

eek confused frown laugh

Posted By: Squidge Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Nice buck! Congrats.
Thanks Squidge.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
does his right side match his left, or is he non-typical?
Yes, he's a big old typical deerstalker, his right G4 is broke off a bit from scuffling.
Originally Posted by slumlord

I dont even wanta think about the history of a 1939 K98 before it got sporterized into a hunting rifle by Sako after the war.

eek confused frown laugh

Those old Mil rifles have no doubt caused more than a few to holler eeeeeeeee FAAAKK!!!!! that hurt ; ]
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19

I need to put that to the test with my Lyman Deerstalker. It's a .54 cal flintlock that's only exited paper so far. Never done any casting but have only shot round balls to date.
You bet, a 54 is a high speed killer Gringo Loco, iirc someone told me they run in excess of 1900 fps with a round ball, speed being what it is, and pure lead being what it is, i sure like a bit harder alloy, especially hunting out of state where the only shot may be a fleeing buck going in at the last rib, I need to get into the oxygen tents and pump house my friend ; ]
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Great deer and rifle Gunner. Congratulations. Love to see traditional muzzeloaders getting in some work.

My best deer was taken with a .54 Renegade. I will confess to using Maxi's though. I've never considered it a handicap to use. Even though I've got modern muzzeloaders and use them, if push ever comes to shove, the .54 will be the one that stays.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19

Congrats!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
That is a beautiful buck, Congratulations.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Great looking buck and beautiful rifle. My favorite kind of deer hunting. My first black powder rifle was a kit-built CVA .50 cal Mountain rifle. Still have it and have added four more, including two flint locks in .32 and .50 cal. Good to see you out using an historical and true primitive rifle.
Posted By: efw Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Wow man awesome rifle and fantastic deer congrats to gunner!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Wow great rifle and Buck! Thinking that sure puts out a cloud of White smoke!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Congrats on a fine buck and a pretty cool rifle.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Kansas Hawken

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Good job, Gun.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/14/19
Wonder buck!

Whats the 58 cal ball weigh at that mix?

Sounds terrifying!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/16/19
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Kansas Hawken

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks again Men, Nice Stick and Blade there EE, they're a blast for sure.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/16/19
Well done, Gunner!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Wonder buck!

Whats the 58 cal ball weigh at that mix?

Sounds terrifying!

LOL, around 270-280 grains Jim, I take it you're not laughing at our 'old' equipment, never discount 'the ball' Slim Jim, the 58 is a rough customer, I have dropped four buck deer where they stood this year, from 22 to 133 yards, they all fell, my 8 Bore is that and much more, a pure lead ball and 300 grains of black powder for standard game, or a hardened alloy ball North of 800 grains, then rolled across flat files to score it so it wont slip the patch, then booted out by 400 grains of black powder is what the old time African Bore Rifle hunters used on Buffalo, Rhino and Elephant.

They worked back then, and they work today.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well done, Gunner!

Many Thanks Jorge, I still have one Arkansas buck, and several doe tags left for the three day Christmas hunt, but, guess I better use that old original 45-110 buffalo rifle on one of I can find it. smile
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/16/19
Good luck. I have a 54 cal Hwken replica but I'd like to get a nicer rifle than this italian rig. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Good luck. I have a 54 cal Hwken replica but I'd like to get a nicer rifle than this italian rig. Any suggestions?

Yessir, go down to the Muzzle Loader forum and buy Sharpsman's [Rick] 50 cal custom Flinter, it's a beautiful rifle at roughly half price.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/16/19

LOL, around 270-280 grains Jim, I take it you're not laughing at our 'old' equipment, never discount 'the ball' Slim Jim, the 58 is a rough customer, I have dropped four buck deer where they stood this year, from 22 to 133 yards, they all fell, my 8 Bore is that and much more, a pure lead ball and 300 grains of black powder for standard game, or a hardened alloy ball North of 800 grains, then rolled across flat files to score it so it wont slip the patch, then booted out by 400 grains of black powder is what the old time African Bore Rifle hunters used on Buffalo, Rhino and Elephant.

Dang!

Dang!

No, that's what you say AFTER you pull the trigger EE. cool
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/16/19

Dang!

No, that's what you say AFTER you pull the trigger EE. cool
lolol
Posted By: Snyper Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/16/19
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Gunner500 just drove this one's whacker in the dirt with his .58 caliber muzzleloader! 140 grains FF KIK BP with a 280 gr. patched round ball! Way to go Gunner! CONGRATS!

The 'red spots' shown in photo ARE NOT berries; rather pieces of meat blown out the backside!!

I bet that load could be lightened quite a bit and still kill on both ends.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Muzzleloader buck - 12/16/19
I likey! Congrats!
© 24hourcampfire