Home
WASHINGTON (KSNW) – There may soon be an end to those pesky robocalls. The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill making it harder for the calls to get through to you.

The Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence, or TRACED Act would push carriers to implement a caller authentification system and require companies to block the calls for free.

The vote passed in the House of Representatives with a nearly unanimous vote, 417-3. “The robocall issue is one issue, maybe the one issue, that’s united everybody, Republicans, and Democrats,” said Rep. David Kustoff, R-TN.

Rep. Frank Pallone, D-NJ said of the bills passing, “Today, the house is giving Americans back control of their phones.”

The bill is also expected to extend the time government regulators have to track phone scammers and more power to penalize them when found.

The TRACED Act is anticipated to be passed by the Senate in the coming weeks. President Trump could sign it into law before Christmas.

https://www.ksn.com/news/say-goodby...AXmI7X5wNtP59Do9_3gwVLWCfbAOMd8Hq6Vq4g40
Sounds like a positive step.
Sounds great. How are they going to enforce it when many of the calls are from foreign countries?
Nine calls out of ten to my house phone are robo.
Originally Posted by Dess
Sounds great. How are they going to enforce it when many of the calls are from foreign countries?

they can identify server and block the server .
The Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence, or TRACED Act would push carriers to implement a caller authentification system and require companies to block the calls for free.
Your phone bill will soon go up. There is no 'free'.

Cruise missiles would get my vote.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yep.
Laws: spawning criminal innovation since....forever.
I’m for it, I get a lot of them!
I’m for it, I get a lot of them!
I want to know who the 3 are who voted against it.

That’s what I was wondering.
Guess if I had a vote, I’d have voted for it, but not answering unknown numbers pretty much solves the issue.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Here you go: three in the House and one in the Senate.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll647.xml
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/...ongress=116&session=1&vote=00127

Attached picture TRACED Act -- House.jpg
Attached picture TRACED Act -- Senate.jpg
Already have had 2 today

grrrrrr!!!
Originally Posted by slumlord
Already have had 2 today

grrrrrr!!!

I keep getting one with a woman speaking Chinese and music playing in the background. How’s this supposed to get my credit card number?
Don't hold your breath. Unless the law gives a deadline for the carriers to implement this and a penalty for missing it, it'll drag on forever with no change.
I called my cell phone provider and said, "I want to report a nuisance caller."
He said, "Not you again."

And more importunely , why?
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY

And more importunely , why?

I would imagine that they are people who feel that there should be no restraints on business nor expectations that they conduct their business in an ethical manner. We have a few of those right here.
Those three don’t have to worry about it; they have someone to answer their phone....
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Your phone bill will soon go up. There is no 'free'.

Actually, in this case you are wrong.

The robocall are a cost to the telecoms that we'd like to get rid of, unfortunately under current law, we are not allowed to block them. Given the option, yes, we'd like to get rid of them.

We already block a huge amount of the foreign origin spam.
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
Here you go: three in the House and one in the Senate.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll647.xml
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/...ongress=116&session=1&vote=00127

Thanks. I'd like to hear their reasoning for voting like they did.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I keep getting one with a woman speaking Chinese and music playing in the background. How’s this supposed to get my credit card number?

You’re not into that?
Seems some here want .gov ta be the answer to alla their little bitty problems.
The phone companies will block calls from scammers & robo callers before they reach customers and will charge callers for scam and robo calls. Foreign phone companies will have to collect penalties from scam callers if they want to connect to our phone network.

They will make it so that customers will have to explicitly accept charges from pay by the minute numbers.
The call blocking that magic jack IP phones uses is the best thing I ever tried and at no cost.

We went from 15 to 20 calls a day to no robo calls, now when you call my number the system gives a random number the caller must enter otherwise it drops the call.
The only nay vote in the Senate belongs to Rand Paul.

Who'd a thunk it?
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Seems some here want .gov ta be the answer to alla their little bitty problems.

Yes I do,
the same way they corrected those annoying volume blasts for commercials on TV.
417 to 3. Wonder who those 3 were.
417 to 3. Wonder who those 3 were.
The telecommunications companies know who these people are.
At least, where they are and the origins of the calls.
Turning them off is actually simple.

However, if the phone bills are paid, law requires them to push
the call through.

This law changes that.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Got rid of the the house phone for just that reason.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I believe in correcting little things, and then the bigger things naturally fall in place,

1. End daylight savings time.
2. Murder all telemarketers.
3. End all Political pamphlets, texts and robocalls.

World wide peace would be just days later...............

From that recent, "You're King of the UNITED STATES" thread........

Damn good start if you ask me.
Day light savings is next.
I got a call from a dot Indian scammer yesterday. I said Sanjay, how the hell are ya? Apu Nahasapeemapedullan is my favorite character on the Simpsons. He said Fugg you and hung up.
One called the other day with a good credit card balance transfer deal. I told him I didn't have a credit card and he called me a sorry m-----f-----. I asked him why he would call me a nasty name and he said "you have no credit card". I asked him if he was from India and he told me Osama Bin Laden was his uncle. I said, "well good, we put that s-o-b on the bottom of the ocean". At that point he hung up.

I worked on a request for quotation from Northrup for a power supply for a new cruise missile in 1984. I designed a prototype and left that small company. In 2005 I visited that company and those power supplies were being made on the production line. Google can find only traces that the missle exists. If that is a representative example, we are already paying for a lot of cruise missiles. We have a military budget of $698.5 billion.
Roaches always find a way in.
Hell, who remembers the “do not call list”?
Doubt I get one a month, and it's the same number since 2001..
Don't give out your number you don't get Robocalls seems to work for me
I don't know how wide spread Spectrum is for the country, but we have bad cell service here at the house and had to get an additional bundled Spectrum land line. Then along came the mostly robo calls. I called Spectrum and they have a system called No More Robo that they added for n/c and the phone rings once and stops for a robo call. It has all but eliminated them here.
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I worked on a request for quotation from Northrup for a power supply for a new cruise missile in 1984. I designed a prototype and left that small company. In 2005 I visited that company and those power supplies were being made on the production line. Google can find only traces that the missle exists. If that is a representative example, we are already paying for a lot of cruise missiles. We have a military budget of $698.5 billion.

PM Send Clark
Yeah, right...
don't ever answer a call from the 876 area code!!!

Jamaica and the Caribbean...
"Say ‘goodbye’ to robocalls"

Been hearing that BS for a couple decades now.

Ain't happened yet.

When Hillary is on the MSM in handcuffs, I may take another look at this story.

'Cause I know Hell just froze over!
Maybe those three know that the legislation is just another solution for a problem that can be fixed easily by individuals who will make the simple effort. If that's the case, I appreciate them standing on the principal of fewer unnecessary laws.

All you need is a little phone discipline of your own, and you never have to answer another robocall, or any other phone junk.
SO many MORE important things to worry about.

Its SO easy to ignore the calls.. don't ID someone we know it goes to voice mail. Been that way for years. The few seconds it takes to glance I'd just as soon worry about no more gun control, border security, fair taxes IE get rid of property tax, and so on.
Originally Posted by rost495

Its SO easy to ignore the calls.. don't ID someone we know it goes to voice mail. Been that way for years. The few seconds it takes to glance I'd just as soon worry about no more gun control, border security, fair taxes IE get rid of property tax, and so on.

To me it's abhorrible that we can't answer the phone when it rings.

Another example of stuff getting FUBAR.

It's not easy to "just not answer" calls from a number you don't know, if you are in business, and have advertising working for you.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rost495

To me it's abhorrible that we can't answer the phone when it rings.

Another example of stuff getting FUBAR.

It's not easy to "just not answer" calls from a number you don't know, if you are in business, and have advertising working for you.

As already described by others above, there are ways around that too. The tools are out there. I often have ads to cover too, and I haven't had to answer any phone spam for years.
I'll believe it when I see it. In the last few months, I've gotten robo calls that show up from phone numbers that I actually know.
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I'll believe it when I see it. In the last few months, I've gotten robo calls that show up from phone numbers that I actually know.

You screening numbers, not names? I assign names to all the numbers I know. I never answer a known name and get someone or something unknown.
I have had very few robo calls since I installed the app Hiya.
The only reason we still have a land line is because my wife has to carry a beeper it is just back up incase the cell service goes down. The amount of spam marketing calls that unpublished number gets is obscene. Every once in awhile I'll answer it and say "You should get a respectable job" and then hang up.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It's not easy to "just not answer" calls from a number you don't know, if you are in business, .....
Well, yes and no.. I don't advertise, period.. But when the phone rings I just look at the caller ID.. IF it's a reasonably close number WITH a name associated - I answer... IF not to either of those two, I wait for the answering machine.. A valid customer will begin to leave a message - if I'm close by I intercept it and take the call. If not, I call back asap..

Eliminates 95%+ of having to deal with those robo-call basitds..

That's why my home phone is unplugged. I only use it for calling my cell phone when I can't find it.
Seems like we have been down this blocking road before........and I still get calls.
Originally Posted by centershot
Seems like we have been down this blocking road before........and I still get calls.

Oh, I get the calls - sometimes a couple times in a day, but usually fewer. I just don't answer them. I never felt a need to answer every ring in the old landline days either, once I had an answering machine. I never understood those people who couldn't stand to ignore a phone call, even for just a minute. If it's real and it's important, the caller will leave a message. If not....meh....
Originally Posted by victoro

That's why my home phone is unplugged. I only use it for calling my cell phone when I can't find it.
LMAO.... OHHHhhhhh, yeah... BTDT... laugh laugh laugh
If you'll spend a little time fuqking with them, you'll get removed from a lot of list. A few months ago I decided to fuqk with every single one of them that calls me, the calls have dropped dramatically. You should hear some of the sheit I say to them, make a drill seargents ears turn red.
What do you say to pizz off a RECORDED message, eh?
Originally Posted by mirage243
If you'll spend a little time fuqking with them, you'll get removed from a lot of list. A few months ago I decided to fuqk with every single one of them that calls me, the calls have dropped dramatically. You should hear some of the sheit I say to them, make a drill seargents ears turn red.

Y'know, you may be on to something. I was unoccupied and feeling a little game one day a few months ago when I got one of those unknown numbers ringing. So I answered that one and dicked with him until he hung up on me. The calls dropped more off after that.
Persiandog: I have been hearing that "congress" is going to put an end to the endless stream of robo-calls for 8 - 10 years now!
I have had 5 (five!) robo-calls so far today!
3 on my home phone and 2 on my cell phone (one of which was in chinese or Japanese?)!
I wish this bill/effort would come to fruition but I doubt, strongly, that it will.
A woman friend of the VarmintWifes swears that this works! She sees an unidentified caller or unknown caller on her phone I.D. and she answers the call "9-1-1 what is your emergency".
She claims 9 times out of 10 the robo-caller hangs up.
Again I wish our lawmakers at every level (city, county, state and federal!) would ban robo-calls and prosecute the perps but in all honesty I do not foresee it happening.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
This will work as well as the "Do not call list" and countless gun laws.
I'll be glad when the robo callers get the news that it's the end for them as I got 5 today..

Saying crap to them doesn't help, I've said stuff to them that would make a queer hooker in Hell run away. It doesn't even phase them.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Persiandog: I have been hearing that "congress" is going to put an end to the endless stream of robo-calls for 8 - 10 years now!
I have had 5 (five!) robo-calls so far today!
3 on my home phone and 2 on my cell phone (one of which was in chinese or Japanese?)!
I wish this bill/effort would come to fruition but I doubt, strongly, that it will.
A woman friend of the VarmintWifes swears that this works! She sees an unidentified caller or unknown caller on her phone I.D. and she answers the call "9-1-1 what is your emergency".
She claims 9 times out of 10 the robo-caller hangs up.
Again I wish our lawmakers at every level (city, county, state and federal!) would ban robo-calls and prosecute the perps but in all honesty I do not foresee it happening.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Seriously? Why even answer, unless you're gonna waste their time? They'll hang up if you don't answer too. But wasting their time just being difficult is far more productive and entertaining.

BTW - I had a grand total of one spam call today, same as yesterday. Day before yesterday, I had none.
I just set my phone to ignore any calls from someone that isn’t a contact and that ended it finally
I heard the same BS years ago. Government promises......yeah, I'll hold my breath.
Just got a new phone that has a "block call" button on it.

When I get a robocall, I just hit this button, and it blocks that number permanently.

BEST phone I've ever bought!

Virgil B.
Our landline phone answer message, if we don’t recognize the number, directs the caller to leave a message. It might tick off some folks we do know, but the number of calls from unknown numbers has almost quit. For the cell phone, if you have an iPhone, the latest OS has a means of stopping unwanted calls. Works very well.
Originally Posted by persiandog
WASHINGTON (KSNW) – There may soon be an end to those pesky robocalls. The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill making it harder for the calls to get through to you.

The vote passed in the House of Representatives with a nearly unanimous vote, 417-3. “The robocall issue is one issue, maybe the one issue, that’s united everybody, Republicans, and Democrats,” said Rep. David Kustoff, R-TN.

Rep. Frank Pallone, D-NJ said of the bills passing, “Today, the house is giving Americans back control of their phones.”

The bill is also expected to extend the time government regulators have to track phone scammers and more power to penalize them when found.

The TRACED Act is anticipated to be passed by the Senate in the coming weeks. President Trump could sign it into law before Christmas.

That is great....now Americans will not be afraid of answering their phones.....i still get an average of 10 to 15 calls from scammers a day....One good thing about this is that pollsters will get more accurate data.....I always thought that the polls were wrong because most people did not want to answer their phones.
I answer them when the call is spoofed to my area code and prefix. I [bleep] with them, keep them on for awhile, asking all kinds of stupid questions about whatever they are "selling". When we get down to buying, the name is Joe Smith. Zip Code is 98765. My Mastercard number is 5432-1234-4321-1234. About 50% catch on when they get the whole number. The other half actually run it and ask for a different number, since this one doesnt seem to work.

I figure when I am wasting their time, they arent scamming some sucker.

The calls I have been getting has dropped since I started wasting their time.
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by persiandog

That is great....now Americans will not be afraid of answering their phones.....i still get an average of 10 to 15 calls from scammers a day....One good thing about this is that pollsters will get more accurate data.....I always thought that the polls were wrong because most people did not want to answer their phones.

Polls will still be wrong, because people like me will lie to them, if we talk to them at all.
Just passed the Senate and on its way to Trump for signature. This may not stop them completely, and won't have an immediate effect, but it certainly helps a genuine problem.
Well, I won't be holdin' my breath... I'll believe it when I see it.
Got one today the number was all 000-000-0000.

And after that got some hit the phone from the United States.

Wished they would get dry rot.
© 24hourcampfire